Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   They're back... (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=19343)

Pocket$ $traight 08-18-2007 09:32 PM

They're back...

A good year is in store for the defense. For those who said that Lemar should be starting and that Rocky is a bust and that Taylor has lost it. Well, I hate to tell you that I told you so, but I told you so.

Hail to the Redskins and the second g is for genius!

I hope to God that Washington is o.k.

SmootSmack 08-18-2007 10:43 PM

Re: They're back...

Additionally, Springs looks fully healthy and that's huge for us.

GTripp0012 08-18-2007 11:05 PM

...it's still the preseason.

Not that there was any reason to think that the coaching staff was wrong on McIntosh in the first place...

Skins fan 44 08-18-2007 11:13 PM

At least we are not getting blown out like last year.

RMSkins 08-18-2007 11:21 PM

It looked like Taylor's weight loss is messing with his hitting ability, Taylor came up to lay what looked to have been a nasty hit on Steelers RB Verron Haynes, but Taylor bounced right off of him. Overall though the defense lookes nasty, Rocky, Carlos, Landry, Springs all looked extremely impressive. Negatives on the defense were Sean Taylor who missed a tackle on Haynes, and had a bad play in coverage, Fred Smoot also didn't look very impressive for the second week in a row.

chrisl13 08-18-2007 11:48 PM

lets get some interceptions now

Pocket$ $traight 08-18-2007 11:49 PM

[quote=RMSkins;341149]It looked like Taylor's weight loss is messing with his hitting ability, Taylor came up to lay what looked to have been a nasty hit on Steelers RB Verron Haynes, but Taylor bounced right off of him. Overall though the defense lookes nasty, Rocky, Carlos, Landry, Springs all looked extremely impressive. Negatives on the defense were Sean Taylor who missed a tackle on Haynes, and had a bad play in coverage, Fred Smoot also didn't look very impressive for the second week in a row.[/quote]

Put down the crack. I don't think that losing 15 pounds is going to take him from the hardest hitter in the game to Warrick Holdman. He didn't hit him square.

You really picked that play out as a defensive negative?

RMSkins 08-18-2007 11:51 PM

Absolutely I pick that play as a defensive negative. Instead of going for the huge hit, which he missed, Taylor should have arm tackled Haynes the right way. Plus I never said Taylor wasn't going to be a huge hitter anymore, I don't doubt that for a second, I am just thinking that if he would have had those 20 extra pounds he could've got Haynes down.

Pocket$ $traight 08-18-2007 11:54 PM

[quote=RMSkins;341204]Absolutely I pick that play as a defensive negative. Instead of going for the huge hit, which he missed, Taylor should have arm tackled Haynes the right way.[/quote]

How did that missed tackle impact the game? If you expect every single tackle to be made, you are going to be disappointed in every game you watch. You know what I took away from the game, that there were linemen, linebackers, safeties and corners flying from everywhere to get in on the tackle.

I also saw excellent play by the first, second, and third stringers in goal line situations.

RMSkins 08-19-2007 12:01 AM

[quote=Grim21Reaper;341211]How did that missed tackle impact the game? If you expect every single tackle to be made, you are going to be disappointed in every game you watch. You know what I took away from the game, that there were linemen, linebackers, safeties and corners flying from everywhere to get in on the tackle.

I also saw excellent play by the first, second, and third stringers in goal line situations.[/quote]
When did I ever say that it impacted the game?? It just looked like the old Taylor of last year missing tackles. I agree though the defense did look amazing, and it looks like they're back to form I am just upset that Sean missed a tackle he clearly should have made.

Pocket$ $traight 08-19-2007 12:05 AM

[quote=RMSkins;341231]When did I ever say that it impacted the game?? It just looked like the old Taylor of last year missing tackles. I agree though the defense did look amazing, and it looks like they're back to form I am just upset that Sean missed a tackle he clearly should have made.[/quote]

Well if I was going to single out a play, it would be one that impacted the game. Not a meaningless missed tackle wich allowed the ballcarrier another two yards in the middle of the field. I would have focused more on that terrible 1st and 25 series where they ended up with a first down or that no name (Reid?) running free down the middle of the field late in the game.

Beemnseven 08-19-2007 12:34 AM

Swarming defense tonight. And stopping Pittsburgh's first team offense inside the five yard line was HUGE.

Anybody else taking notice of the defensive end Wilson (#77) ? He's making some noise too.

skinsguy 08-19-2007 12:39 AM

[QUOTE=Beemnseven;341284]Swarming defense tonight. And stopping Pittsburgh's first team offense inside the five yard line was HUGE.

Anybody else taking notice of the defensive end Wilson (#77) ? He's making some noise too.[/QUOTE]

I did! Only makes me even more excited about our defense! Having young depth is good for us! Hate to use Gibb's old saying, but he was really playing his guts out...LOL!

RMSkins 08-19-2007 12:40 AM

[quote=Beemnseven;341284]Swarming defense tonight. And stopping Pittsburgh's first team offense inside the five yard line was HUGE.

Anybody else taking notice of the defensive end Wilson (#77) ? He's making some noise too.[/quote]
I was extremely impressed with Wilson, and I think he might have a shot at making the team if he keeps this up.

FRPLG 08-19-2007 12:47 AM

[QUOTE=Beemnseven;341284]Swarming defense tonight. And stopping Pittsburgh's first team offense inside the five yard line was HUGE.

Anybody else taking notice of the defensive end Wilson (#77) ? He's making some noise too.[/QUOTE]
Geez does our defensive efforts just show how glaringly bad we were last year. Our defense was so freaking soft. Even tonight in the second half with the double scrubs out there they were flyig around and smacking all over the place. Where the hell did that go last year? It like just up and disappeared suddenly. I hope we can keep this up.

Beemnseven 08-19-2007 12:55 AM

I saw more fire and determination from the defense tonight than I did all last year. Last season, they go through the motions, look like they can't wait for the season to end, and tonight they were ... hungry.

How about Landry firing through and blowing up the lead blocker on that sweep? In the short amount of time he's had to play, you can tell he plays with a purpose. And just think ... we haven't even seen 4 full quarters from him!

FRPLG 08-19-2007 01:02 AM

[QUOTE=Beemnseven;341308]I saw more fire and determination from the defense tonight than I did all last year. Last season, they go through the motions, look like they can't wait for the season to end, and tonight they were ... hungry.

How about Landry firing through and blowing up the lead blocker on that sweep? In the short amount of time he's had to play, you can tell he plays with a purpose. And just think ... we haven't even seen 4 full quarters from him![/QUOTE]

I am literally without even one reasonable explanation for last years defense. I specifically remember it sucking from the first play of the pre-season. There occurs nothing that remotely explains it. It was like a voodoo hex or something.

And yes, landry is a man. Plain and simple. The guy can play.

budw38 08-19-2007 07:08 AM

The Defence has been very impressive ! We still have not seen Griffen yet. Wilson , hickman look good, Rocky and Blades were flying around and hitting and Landry and Rogers looked very good . If Danials and Carter have big years , this Defence could be top 10 . We need some good luck with health this year , and hope Macklin or Butler can make some plays in nickel . It would be nice next april to not have to draft for need . The way our D looks , I just wish we played the cowpukes opening day !!

4mrusmc 08-19-2007 10:13 AM

The defense looked good, but still not alot of qb pressure. No qb pressure and your chances for intersceptions diminish. Our ability to get turnovers will be huge for us to have a successful season.

Rajmahal33 08-19-2007 10:28 AM

I liked how they played as one entire working unit rather than a player or two just trying to make stellar plays. It [I]is[/I] just preseason but I also liked how not one member of the starting squad or second team appeared to be underperforming or out of sync. That speaks to how well GW has been coaching/focusing them this year. I think he needed 2006 to humble him a little bit and now that he has his head back on straight, he can call plays and devise schemes in a more level-headed, objective manner. I am a little nervous that we are racking up some injuries cuz i don't wanna go into the regular season banged up (no matter how good we look in the preseason).

CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR 08-19-2007 04:55 PM

taylor need to wrap his arms around the runner instead of trying to blow the man up. Taylor is the least of our problems

theJBexperience 08-19-2007 06:24 PM

Our D looked pretty good again, but I was hoping for some sacks or picks. The Steelers gave up 5 sacks last week to the Packers, and what the Skins had one? Yes, Ben was under pressure the whole night, but I've just missed the big plays.

BTW if anyone needs to learn how to tackle, I think it's Fred Smoot and not Sean Taylor. Yes, ST's blown tackle was annoying, but it was as embarrassing as Smoot's pirouette right by Santonio Holmes I think, on that third down that kept their drive alive at the end of the half.

CancunCantinaBartender 08-19-2007 06:49 PM

I have noticed that there are usually 3-6 players attacking the ball. The front line is stopping the run game. With a defense like that and Gregg's schemes, it does look very good for the Redskins.

RMSkins 08-19-2007 07:00 PM

[quote=CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR;341418]taylor need to wrap his arms around the runner instead of trying to blow the man up. Taylor is the least of our problems[/quote]
Exactly. Taylor is now way one of our problems on defense he just needs to wrap up, and make tackles, instead of going for huge hits all of the time. He had way to many missed tackles last season, and I don't want to see that happen to Taylor again this season.

steveo395 08-19-2007 07:22 PM

[quote=RMSkins;341204]Absolutely I pick that play as a defensive negative. Instead of going for the huge hit, which he missed, Taylor should have arm tackled Haynes the right way. Plus I never said Taylor wasn't going to be a huge hitter anymore, I don't doubt that for a second, I am just thinking that if he would have had those 20 extra pounds he could've got Haynes down.[/quote]
Taylor didn't lose any weight.
[QUOTE]
The Redskins list him at 212 pounds, and he was listed at 232 pounds in last year's media guide, but Taylor countered by saying, "I'm the same weight [as last year], 225."
[/QUOTE]
[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/16/AR2007081602820.html]washingtonpost.com[/url]

artmonkforhallofamein07 08-19-2007 07:35 PM

These guys look good. I'm to worried about pressure and turnovers. It will come when GW dials up the blitzes in the regular season. Landry, Rocky, Blades, Golston, Cooley, Taylor, Campbell man it is good to see our draft picks playing well. Shows where we probably could be if we drafted more and worried not about free agents.

I like our guys though. HAIL!!

sandman89 08-19-2007 07:59 PM

[QUOTE=budw38;341325]The Defence has been very impressive ! We still have not seen Griffen yet. Wilson , hickman look good, Rocky and Blades were flying around and hitting and Landry and Rogers looked very good . If Danials and Carter have big years , this Defence could be top 10 . We need some good luck with health this year , and hope Macklin or Butler can make some plays in nickel . It would be nice next april to not have to draft for need . The way our D looks , I just wish we played the cowpukes opening day !![/QUOTE]

Ill say it now where already in the top 10 probably in 4th in Rushing stop and 1st in pass D

Cowell 08-19-2007 09:18 PM

Last night at our fantasy draft I drafted and the Redskins D. Of course I got an ear load for it, but hopefully they won't prove me wrong.

saden1 08-19-2007 09:32 PM

Is it just me or has Rogers put on some muscle? He looks ripped compared to last year. Also, Landry is disgusting fast. I don't think there's a faster safety in the league.

Pocket$ $traight 08-19-2007 10:46 PM

[quote=Cowell;341494]Last night at our fantasy draft I drafted and the Redskins D. Of course I got an ear load for it, but hopefully they won't prove me wrong.[/quote]

As long as you didn't reach for them, you made a good pick. If you got them in the last couple of rounds anyone who criticized you has no clue about this team or fantasy football.

Gmanc711 08-19-2007 11:49 PM

This defense has a chance to be scary good like it was in 2004. We still need to see how we fare injury wise on the defensive side of the football, and we still need to face a real good offense to get an actual indication...and albeit its just the first two preseason games so what do we really know? But everything just reminds me of the 2004/2005 defense that we had here. I thought our front four was at least putting pressure on the QB last night, whereas last year, it was like our opponents offensive line was playing on air.

SmootSmack 08-19-2007 11:57 PM

And to think someone here wanted to dedicate a whole thread on why signing Wilson from the CFL was representative of all that was wrong with the Redskins. Let's see how it plays out.

I'm really liking Hickman, and Blades looks like an absolute steal

MTK 08-20-2007 06:48 AM

The D is flying around again, seems that they've got their mojo back. This D might not end up being as good as it was in 2005, but I think it's going to be pretty damn close.

firstdown 08-20-2007 09:33 AM

[quote=RMSkins;341149]It looked like Taylor's weight loss is messing with his hitting ability, Taylor came up to lay what looked to have been a nasty hit on Steelers RB Verron Haynes, but Taylor bounced right off of him. Overall though the defense lookes nasty, Rocky, Carlos, Landry, Springs all looked extremely impressive. Negatives on the defense were Sean Taylor who missed a tackle on Haynes, and had a bad play in coverage, Fred Smoot also didn't look very impressive for the second week in a row.[/quote]
I would have never known that Smoot was playing as I never heard his name and for a corner thats a good thing. What did he do that was so bad?

Hog1 08-20-2007 09:37 AM

Yes, it's just a preseason game, and doesn't mean anything..................EXCEPT, ALL of us need something really good as a sign of life from our sainted Redskins. At the moment, they are providing it!
IMO, they're the real deal

MTK 08-20-2007 09:46 AM

Despite what Taylor says he's clearly slimmed down. I still don't think it will hurt his hitting ability. He just didn't have a clean shot on the Pitt. RB, it wasn't like he mowed him over.

EARTHQUAKE2689 08-20-2007 10:23 AM

I think the defense will finish in the top 12 this season.

skinsfan69 08-20-2007 10:28 AM

[quote=Grim21Reaper;341113]A good year is in store for the defense. For those who said that Lemar should be starting and that Rocky is a bust and that Taylor has lost it. Well, I hate to tell you that I told you so, but I told you so.

Hail to the Redskins and the second g is for genius!

I hope to God that Washington is o.k.[/quote]

Chill dude. It's just two preseason games. Things are looking good so far but let's wait til the regular season starts.

Monksdown 08-20-2007 10:31 AM

i love watching London coach up Rocky. You can see them discussing things before every play. I get very excited for Rocky who is learning from one of the best.

jbcjr14 08-20-2007 10:36 AM

[quote=firstdown;341666]I would have never known that Smoot was playing as I never heard his name and for a corner thats a good thing. What did he do that was so bad?[/quote]

If I recall he missed a tackle on the long Santonio Holmes play. They left him out on an island and if he makes that tackle the drive is over and the Steelers would have had to punt. Other than that, I don't think he played bad at all.