Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Would You Play Campbell vs Ravens? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=19378)

12thMan 08-20-2007 12:50 PM

Would You Play Campbell vs Ravens?

If I'm coach Gibbs, the kid rides the pine this week, and proably next week too.

But my real question is who starts against the Ravens, Collins or Brunell? And should we read anything into Collins starting?

skinsfan69 08-20-2007 12:56 PM

Re: Would You Play Campbell vs Ravens?

Here we go again.

Sit JC and start Collins.

Eight in the Box 08-20-2007 01:12 PM

Campbell is a MUST play this week if he is healthy. There is no risk of further injuring his knee. He NEEDS the reps. Even if its just a couple series. We don't need him trying to get comfortable still in week 2 on MNF @ Philly and week 3 against the Giants at FedEx. In my opinion, this is a risk that we MUST take (assuming he can cope with the soreness). We cannot afford to have a slow start this year.

manditorybidness 08-20-2007 01:21 PM

[QUOTE=Eight in the Box;341819]Campbell is a MUST play this week if he is healthy. There is no risk of further injuring his knee. He NEEDS the reps. Even if its just a couple series. We don't need him trying to get comfortable still in week 2 on MNF @ Philly and week 3 against the Giants at FedEx. In my opinion, this is a risk that we MUST take (assuming he can cope with the soreness). We cannot afford to have a slow start this year.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! He needs to continue to get all the work that he can because we need to win our division games the first time around and not NEED a division win later on down the line.

GusFrerotte 08-20-2007 01:28 PM

Put him in for 2-3 series and sit his but down. You guys are right. If he sits for 1-2 games his warming up period gets shifted to the first few weeks of the regular season and we might get into trouble quick.

jbcjr14 08-20-2007 01:41 PM

If he can practice by Thursday, then yes you play him a couple series to get the reps. Especially against a very good Ravens team.

Riggo44 08-20-2007 01:43 PM

I agree with all of you. Campbell really needs to play as much as possible before the season starts.

dmek25 08-20-2007 01:44 PM

if he can go, play him. at least a couple of series. and i think Collins played his way into the backup role. if that is the case, then Brunell should be cut

The Zimmermans 08-20-2007 01:45 PM

NO, BENCH HIM!!!!!! without the O-line in tact, it is way too risky, he seems comfortable and he knows the offense. Never start your recently injured franchise QB with both tackle positions in question. CMON GUYS

MTK 08-20-2007 01:48 PM

If JC is healthy and can play, by all means get him back in there.

Monkeydad 08-20-2007 01:58 PM

[quote=The Zimmermans;341837]NO, BENCH HIM!!!!!! without the O-line in tact, it is way too risky, he seems comfortable and he knows the offense. Never start your recently injured franchise QB with both tackle positions in question. CMON GUYS[/quote]

No one is denying that he KNOWS the offense, but he needs all of the practice executing it that he can get.

He can play through a bruise.

He should get 1 quarter of play. It gets his work in and limits the chance of injury.

Remember, he still hasn't played a whole season, he needs work. Sure, he has an incredible amount of talent, knowledge and he's a physical monster for a QB...but practice makes perfect.

Play him.

mooby 08-20-2007 02:03 PM

Yeah, if Campbell is healthy and has practiced at least once this week, put him in this week's game. He needs all the reps he can get. If he can't go this week then next week put him in there for a quarter or maybe even the half. The third preseason game is when starters get the most work. I just want him to get work in before the season starts because we can't have him adjusting to the starting role during the season.

Monkeydad 08-20-2007 02:05 PM

First vote. :)

12thMan 08-20-2007 02:05 PM

I just don't like the idea of him taking another hit on that knee before he needs to.

mooby 08-20-2007 02:06 PM

lol only yes and no as a poll option? I mean, my answer varies so I don't know which to pick. Yes if he's healthy enough, no if he's not healthy enough.

skinsguy 08-20-2007 02:09 PM

If his knee is ok, then by all means...play him! Even if it is just for a quarter, JC needs to continue getting some work in before the regular season.

Cowell 08-20-2007 04:13 PM

Even if it wasn't the Ravens, depending on how he felt. Unless he was at 90% or up I don't think I would. I want a 100% Jason Campbell on opening day.

12thMan 08-20-2007 04:20 PM

[quote=mooby;341849]lol only yes and no as a poll option? I mean, my answer varies so I don't know which to pick. Yes if he's healthy enough, no if he's not healthy enough.[/quote]

I'm sure he'll be at least 90% by game time, but I don't think Gibbs will risk it to be honest. I think he'll use this as an opportunity to look at other people.

Jason may get a brief tuner in the final preseason game.

DynamiteRave 08-20-2007 04:38 PM

I'd say only play him for the first quarter, and if he's not 100% then only play him for a few series.

Get Collins and Brunell in there for most of the time.

And FFS, play Palmer for awhile. Kid could be a breakout star in the making and we'd never know.

70Chip 08-20-2007 04:52 PM

I would sit Jason as a precaution, unless he is 100%. It's tough because I think he could use the snaps. I think to be fair, Brunell should get some time with the first team. If he's as bad as the haters say, he will surely crumble against the Ravens and the job will go to Collins.

12thMan 08-20-2007 04:54 PM

But what exactly is 100%, no soreness? That knee is going to be a little tender by the time Saturday rolls around.

Gtothearry 08-20-2007 04:55 PM

I say let him play for 3-4 series. However, make sure his backside is coveredddddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

70Chip 08-20-2007 05:01 PM

[quote=12thMan;342001]But what exactly is 100%, no soreness? That knee is going to be a little tender by the time Saturday rolls around.[/quote]

Yeah, and I would sit him in that situation. It's not that big of a deal. Why take a chance. Especially when the D-Coordinator of the opponent is called "Ryan". You know those guys wouldn't pass on a borderline hit.

mlmpetert 08-20-2007 05:48 PM

[quote=Eight in the Box;341819]Campbell is a MUST play this week if he is healthy. There is no risk of further injuring his knee. He NEEDS the reps. Even if its just a couple series. We don't need him trying to get comfortable still in week 2 on MNF @ Philly and week 3 against the Giants at FedEx. In my opinion, this is a risk that we MUST take (assuming he can cope with the soreness). We cannot afford to have a slow start this year.[/quote]

Exactly. He also needs to prove that hes not scared or favoring his knee and he needs to hold on to the ball when he gets hit. If he has any more fumbles this preseason then hes gonna get blitzed all day long come the regular season, he needs to over come this quick (what a better way then vs. bmore's D)

bridaman51 08-20-2007 05:57 PM

I had to say no. The Ravens defense is a bunch of cheap shot thugs, look at them last night against the Giants. If our O line was completely healthy maybe but with heyer protecting that blind side I would not risk it. Sit him this week (practice but not play) and get him in for a few series next week and be ready for the regular season.

Redskin 08-20-2007 06:00 PM

yes it will be valuable for cmpbell to learn some of the blitz that the ravens will throw at us, he needs to learn to recognize that better.

saden1 08-20-2007 06:02 PM

If he can play full speed, yes, otherwise no.

Gmanc711 08-20-2007 06:06 PM

If he is 100% yes, if not than absolutley not....and I would run an awful lot of plays that give the left side of the line some pass protection help...

GhettoDogAllStars 08-21-2007 12:12 AM

He should play. I think they should treat this game like a regular season game, as usually the 3rd preseason game is. Just because our line is hurting is no excuse to bench him. It is quite possible our line will be unstable all year. Then what? He should play, and the offense should adjust to protect him better (i.e.: jumbo sets, play action, etc).

KLHJ2 08-21-2007 12:48 AM

I am with CP on this one, preseason is for the birds; keep the starters healthy. Besides I have seen enough from Campbell to believe that he can get the job done. Playing him against the Ravens is not going to make the running game any better and that is what is hurting us the most. The lack of protection I blame mostly on our inability to run the football right now. Lets face it, the running game will not get any better until at least Portis, Betts and Samuels are healthy again.

I understand that most teams use the 3rd preseason game to simulate a regular season game, but the starters played the entire first half in the first 2 games. IMO what they should do is dedicate the 1st half to the starting offensive line and running the football, that's it. All of the rest of the Starters should get the night off and use the remaining games to evaluate talent at the depth and special teams positions.

I know that this is a much different approach and that I am not a head football coach, but why does everyone have to take the same 3rd game approach? Be unique and base it on what's best for your team, not the norm.

Now feel free to bash my opinion because I know it's comming.

hooskins 08-21-2007 12:53 AM

The Ravens have too good of a D to put Campbell against. Personally I would be happy with putting him and the rest of the starters in for one drive, and rest everyone.

I am sick of injuries.

sandman89 08-21-2007 12:57 AM

start for 1-3 series at least

chrisl4064 08-21-2007 02:45 AM

i hate the pre season, because of this garbage. meaningless injuries.... this is one sport where its just not needed.

that being said, sit campbell. if hes in a situation where he NEEDS a few more reps than maybe he isnt as ready as we all thought. the kid should be good to start the season.

skinsfan_nn 08-21-2007 06:33 AM

If JC is ready to go, why would you not give him work? Yes, if he's ready to go of course.

Beemnseven 08-21-2007 07:08 AM

This is a tough one, but I reluctantly vote yes. Make this his shortest appearance though.

This would be a good time for him to work on quick, timing pattern throws. Get the ball out of his hands as quickly as possible -- avoid deep dropbacks at all costs. The other problem is his desire to make a play by scrambling if nobody's open. My heart will probably explode through my chest when he starts running with the ball.

12thMan 08-21-2007 08:44 AM

I heard JC on the radio this morning, he said the knee was still a little stiff, and that he can jog, but can't run.

MTK 08-21-2007 09:17 AM

Yeah sounds like he's not going to play this week, I'm fine with that if he's still sore.

Skinny Tee 08-21-2007 09:42 AM

Campbell has already played against the Ravens during the scrimmage. He doesn't need another outing against them. Sit him out just in case Terrell Suggs's dojomaster tells him to "sweep the leg".

Let Collins start and play extensively with the first team, since we were almost relegated to that fate anyway.

BDBohnzie 08-21-2007 09:57 AM

I'd rather see Campbell rest and be 100% than risk another injury at less than. If he's 100%, by all means. However, I don't see him practicing much this week.

I'd like to see Collins and Brunell alternate with the 1st team. Watching Brunell the last 2 weeks has been mind-numbing...and while Collins isn't much better, he's having a better preseason.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 08-21-2007 10:58 AM

No thanks. I know it is important for the starting QB to gain experience through the preseason, but I would prefer to see Jason keep his head for the regular season. The Ravens will eat Heyer and Pucillo alive and, if we're allowing 3 sacks a game to the Titans and Steelers, I don't want to know what they'll do to a wounded JC. I say rest him.