Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cerrato, Most Improved... (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=19388)

Skins_4_Lyfe 08-20-2007 09:29 PM

Cerrato, Most Improved...

[COLOR=black]With all the talk last year about Vinny Cerrato being on a short leash, do you think that he finally got off his ass and did some homework. So far it appears as if this is one of the strongest drat classes that I've seen since he's been here. That’s saying a lot considering the fact that we entered the draft with only one day-one pick. Landry, Blades, Palmer, and even Heyer (along with a couple undrafted rookies; Westbrook and Marcus Mason) all appear to have a future in this league. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Is this a coincidence or could all the speculation be responsible for Vinny's apparent improvement.[/COLOR]

70Chip 08-20-2007 10:21 PM

Re: Cerrato, Most Improved...

I don't know what Vinny does exactly so it's difficult to make a judgement. When he was re-hired, Snyder said he wanted someone to yell at in the owner's box during the game, and I don't think he was joking. I guess he does Snyder's bidding and has pro-forma meetings with Gibbs or whatever but I don't know that he has any power himself. He's a proxy for Snyder in the building so that Snyder doesn't have to actually loom over the Park in an un-ownerly way. That's my take anyway.

KLHJ2 08-20-2007 10:54 PM

I wouldn't give Vinny the credit for the UFA's, I think that was more on the Scouts and Coaches. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

saden1 08-20-2007 10:59 PM

I don't think anyone knows what Cerrato does. In any case, we've only had a handful picks in the past few year's and those high round picks are paying off as expected. The only mid rounder paying off is Golston and we haven't see much from our free agent acquisitions either.

skinsfan69 08-20-2007 11:01 PM

[quote=Skins_4_Lyfe;342101][COLOR=black]With all the talk last year about Vinny Cerrato being on a short leash, do you think that he finally got off his ass and did some homework. So far it appears as if this is one of the strongest drat classes that I've seen since he's been here. That’s saying a lot considering the fact that we entered the draft with only one day-one pick. Landry, Blades, Palmer, and even Heyer (along with a couple undrafted rookies; Westbrook and Marcus Mason) all appear to have a future in this league. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Is this a coincidence or could all the speculation be responsible for Vinny's apparent improvement.[/COLOR][/quote]

We won't know if this is a strong draft/FA class until a year or two.

BDBohnzie 08-21-2007 09:39 AM

Cerrato is Danny's Yes man. Nothing more. He's his cabana boy when he doesn't want to have to sit thru meeting after meeting.

Skinny Tee 08-21-2007 10:05 AM

[quote=Skins_4_Lyfe;342101][COLOR=black]That’s saying a lot considering the fact that we entered the draft with only one day-one pick. Landry, Blades, Palmer, and even Heyer (along with a couple undrafted rookies; Westbrook and Marcus Mason) all appear to have a future in this league.[/COLOR][/quote]

Why is it that every year people seem to think that the bottom round and undrafted picks are going to make the team? What futures do these guys have? Other than Landry all these guys are going to be lottery lucky just to make the practice squad.

Give up trying to hype up the low level draft picks thinking that they are going to be a factor in the upcoming season. It's not going to happen. If you want these guys to be factors on your season you should consider taking up Madden, you then will be satiated.

Drift Reality 08-21-2007 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=Skins_4_Lyfe;342101][COLOR=black]With all the talk last year about Vinny Cerrato being on a short leash, do you think that he finally got off his ass and did some homework. So far it appears as if this is one of the strongest drat classes that I've seen since he's been here. That’s saying a lot considering the fact that we entered the draft with only one day-one pick. Landry, Blades, Palmer, and even Heyer (along with a couple undrafted rookies; Westbrook and Marcus Mason) all appear to have a future in this league. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Is this a coincidence or could all the speculation be responsible for Vinny's apparent improvement.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Guy,

Lets not even think about talking about the draft class for a couple of years.

Landry looks like a solid pick but there is no reason in hell we should be talking about any of those other guys. They haven't done one thing yet.

Lets be honest here - we are still talking about a guy who is not a competent personnel person in the NFL. Furthermore, I don't think he has any real power within the organization. Most of the decisions are made through Gibbs.

If we had a competent GM we wouldn't be starting an undrafted FA at LT and journeyman at LG protecting our franchise quarterback and opening holes for our franchise RB.

Drift Reality 08-21-2007 10:21 AM

Ironically, I was about to start a thread about how concerned I am that our front office continues to patch one hole and neglect another.

This year, it looks like they may have created depth in the secondary only to neglect the offensive line.

Mark my words - the offensive line will be a problem all season long. Then, next year, they will go out and patch up the line and it will just be another area on the team -

This is going to continue until we bring in a GM who can structure a 5-year personnel plan, not a coalition of coaches and executives who cobble together incremental 1-year plans.

Bstanley 08-21-2007 10:30 AM

Cerrato does allot more then you guys think he does nice guy to. Ive talked to the him many times he knows what hes doing.

paulskinsfan 08-21-2007 10:32 AM

[quote=Drift Reality;342248]Guy,

Lets not even think about talking about the draft class for a couple of years.

Landry looks like a solid pick but there is no reason in hell we should be talking about any of those other guys. They haven't done one thing yet.

Lets be honest here - we are still talking about a guy who is not a competent personnel person in the NFL. Furthermore, I don't think he has any real power within the organization. Most of the decisions are made through Gibbs.

If we had a competent GM we wouldn't be starting an undrafted FA at LT and journeyman at LG protecting our franchise quarterback and opening holes for our franchise RB.[/quote]

EXCELLENT, I AGREE. A competent GM would not have traded all those mid round picks away, and depth along both lines could have been addressed in prior drafts. As we are currently seeing, the Skins are one injury away from a disaster of a season.

MTK 08-21-2007 10:37 AM

[quote=Drift Reality;342250]Ironically, I was about to start a thread about how concerned I am that our front office continues to patch one hole and neglect another.

This year, it looks like they may have created depth in the secondary only to neglect the offensive line.

Mark my words - the offensive line will be a problem all season long. Then, next year, they will go out and patch up the line and it will just be another area on the team -

This is going to continue until we bring in a GM who can structure a 5-year personnel plan, not a coalition of coaches and executives who cobble together incremental 1-year plans.[/quote]

That's life in the NFL, show me one NFL team that has solid depth across the board with no weaknesses. It's nearly impossible to shore up every position each year.

I really think people are really overreacting about the offensive line.

Drift Reality 08-21-2007 11:49 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;342267]That's life in the NFL, show me one NFL team that has solid depth across the board with no weaknesses. It's nearly impossible to shore up every position each year.

I really think people are really overreacting about the offensive line.[/QUOTE]

Hmm...yes, but you can build depth at different positions. In my opinion, OL is the most important position to build depth - that is the foundation of any team.

The thing that stumps me is that the Redskins throughout the 80s always had a deep line with top-tier starters...

skinsfan69 08-21-2007 12:16 PM

[quote=Bstanley;342259]Cerrato does allot more then you guys think he does nice guy to. Ive talked to the him many times he knows what hes doing.[/quote]

Say what?

SmootSmack 08-21-2007 12:35 PM

[QUOTE=Drift Reality;342333]The thing that stumps me is that the Redskins throughout the 80s always had a deep line with top-tier starters...[/QUOTE]

Completely different era. Free agency and salary caps weren't really around back then.

Drift Reality 08-21-2007 03:31 PM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;342362]Completely different era. Free agency and salary caps weren't really around back then.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I think there are teams out there that have depth along the line. Actually, there are plenty of teams out there that have more depth, period.

I actually think in the era of free agency (it isn't even true free agency due to the cap) we have an advantage if anything because of Snyder's willingness to basically run right up to the cap, and to give big salary hand-outs.

If there is one team that should be able to create depth in this era it would be be the Redskins.

sandman89 08-21-2007 03:47 PM

I like Cerrato, Hes a good Draft scouter and another thing is i like the picks we got this year but was a QB necessary?.I think if it was like that we should have drafted a Tall WR or something lol.

holcknowsbest 08-21-2007 04:08 PM

[quote=Skins_4_Lyfe;342101][COLOR=black]With all the talk last year about Vinny Cerrato being on a short leash, do you think that he finally got off his ass and did some homework. So far it appears as if this is one of the strongest drat classes that I've seen since he's been here. That’s saying a lot considering the fact that we entered the draft with only one day-one pick. Landry, Blades, Palmer, and even Heyer (along with a couple undrafted rookies; Westbrook and Marcus Mason) all appear to have a future in this league. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Is this a coincidence or could all the speculation be responsible for Vinny's apparent improvement.[/COLOR][/quote]

why do you think westbrook has a future in this league, because he recovered a fumble or has consistantly been beaten like a drum??

MTK 08-21-2007 05:13 PM

[quote=Drift Reality;342333]Hmm...yes, but you can build depth at different positions. In my opinion, OL is the most important position to build depth - that is the foundation of any team.

The thing that stumps me is that the Redskins throughout the 80s always had a deep line with top-tier starters...[/quote]

I really don't think our OL is that bad off.

I'm still amazed how we've lost one starter and everyone thinks the sky is falling.

budw38 08-21-2007 06:16 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;342541]I really don't think our OL is that bad off.

I'm still amazed how we've lost one starter and everyone thinks the sky is falling.[/quote] I agree , the sky has not fallen . On the other side , we have been horrible the last three years in short yardage , and scoring TD's . With 1 more year in the new Offence , maybe that will change ? If the Inj's to Samuals / Portis and Campbell slow them through the season , I can't see us all of a sudden getting in the endzone . I hope the D gets back to it's 05 form ,,,, we may need them to win a few games for us .

paulskinsfan 08-21-2007 09:01 PM

[quote=sandman89;342517]I like Cerrato, Hes a good Draft scouter and another thing is i like the picks we got this year but was a QB necessary?.I think if it was like that we should have drafted a Tall WR or something lol.[/quote]

Im curious as to why you think Cerrato is a "good Draft scouter." Please elaborate, cause I think he's shit.

Bstanley 08-21-2007 11:46 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;342354]Say what?[/quote]

Ummm yes I know the guy I own a business we do business together.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 08-22-2007 02:57 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;342541]I really don't think our OL is that bad off.

I'm still amazed how we've lost one starter and everyone thinks the sky is falling.[/QUOTE]

The sky is definately not falling. The team has had an excellent line the past few years and it will continue to be a very good line for a few years.

But, there is some cause for [I]anxiety[/I], even if it eventually proves to be unfounded. Samuels is suffering from an injury that nagged him for awhile a few years back. The left guard position is shaky at best. Finally, Jansen looks less than stellar. Buges will likely get things together, but I'm keeping my eye on the unit.

Defensewins 08-22-2007 11:14 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;342267]That's life in the NFL, show me one NFL team that has solid depth across the board with no weaknesses. It's nearly impossible to shore up every position each year.

I really think people are really overreacting about the offensive line.[/QUOTE]

I'll show you two:

New England
San Diego

They are strong and deep, particurlarly on defense where is matters most. Pats 2007 1st round draft pick isn't even going to start this year, but he will play a ton. They are 3 deep in the DL.
The Chargers have former 5th and 6th round picks starting and playing very well on the offensive line. which has been the Redskins major weakness, we do not pick well in The late rounds. At least not until this year. HB Blades looks like a keeper.

paulskinsfan 08-22-2007 03:15 PM

[quote=Bstanley;342259]Cerrato does allot more then you guys think he does nice guy to. Ive talked to the him many times he knows what hes doing.[/quote]

Yeah, I hear he stays at a Holiday Inn Express every year before the draft....
As they say, "the proof is in da puddin"

MTK 08-22-2007 03:29 PM

[quote=Defensewins;342746]I'll show you two:

New England
San Diego

They are strong and deep, particurlarly on defense where is matters most. Pats 2007 1st round draft pick isn't even going to start this year, but he will play a ton. They are 3 deep in the DL.
The Chargers have former 5th and 6th round picks starting and playing very well on the offensive line. which has been the Redskins major weakness, we do not pick well in The late rounds. At least not until this year. HB Blades looks like a keeper.[/quote]

The Patriots aren't exactly stacked at RB. Maroney is nice but has durability concerns. Not having Samuel in there at CB is a significant loss for them. Behind Brady they have a former 7th round draft pick and a 95 year old in Testaverde.

San Diego has some question marks at WR with unproven guys like Vincent Jackson and a rookie in Craig Davis. I know it doesn't matter much since LT and Gates will catch a ton, but still, they certainly don't scare anyone with their wideouts. Their safeties are a big question mark too.

Nobody in the league has solid depth at every position.

SmootSmack 08-22-2007 03:41 PM

[QUOTE=Defensewins;342746]I'll show you two:

New England
San Diego

The Chargers have former 5th and 6th round picks starting and playing very well on the offensive line. which has been the Redskins major weakness, we do not pick well in The late rounds. At least not until this year. HB Blades looks like a keeper.[/QUOTE]

It's funny how when the Redskins don't start a top draft pick it's "OMG, WTF is wrong with this team?! We're so stupid that we don't even start our draft picks!"

But when the Patriots don't it's "Wow, what geniuses. Drafting a player and letting him develop before throwing him to the wolves"

12thMan 08-22-2007 03:48 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;342267]That's life in the NFL, show me one NFL team that has solid depth across the board with no weaknesses. It's nearly impossible to shore up every position each year.

I really think people are really overreacting about the offensive line.[/quote]

I don't get that argument either. "If we had great depth across the board." There's no such thing in the NFL these days.

I concede we should better utilize our draft picks, but you can't have a great backup at every position.

As for people saying we have an undrafted FA in Heyer who is starting....I've got two words for them: [B]Joe Jacoby[/B]

12thMan 08-22-2007 03:54 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;342820]It's funny how when the Redskins don't start a top draft pick it's "OMG, WTF is wrong with this team?! We're so stupid that we don't even start our draft picks!"

But when the Patriots don't it's "Wow, what geniuses. Drafting a player and letting him develop before throwing him to the wolves"[/quote]

That's the perception of success working at it's best though. If the Pats do it, it's brilliant. If the Skins bring in a Randy Moss they overpaid and Snyder is desperate.

I tell you what, you look at the Patriots roster and they easily have one of the oldest teams in the NFL right now. I think they'll be competive this year, but not dominant.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 08-22-2007 05:20 PM

As Matty said, no team has solid depth at every position. Take the NFC, where Philly is regarded as having the best depth. Although JLC recently went on and on about our lack of depth along the O-line and how great Philly's O-line is stacked, they've got holes at numerous other positions. Philly is lacking quality starters and depth at WR, OLB, MLB, DT (Bunkley may be a bust), and safety. In the AFC, the Pats and Chargers both have issues (as Matty noted).

IMO, the Redskins depth issues will disappear if JC has the kind of season we all expect. I have always believed that if a team has a very good QB, a lot of holes magically disappear in the eyes of the press. With us, it will be no different.

sandman89 08-22-2007 05:59 PM

[QUOTE=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;342831]As Matty said, no team has solid depth at every position. Take the NFC, where Philly is regarded as having the best depth. Although JLC recently went on and on about our lack of depth along the O-line and how great Philly's O-line is stacked, they've got holes at numerous other positions. Philly is lacking quality starters and depth at WR, OLB, MLB, DT (Bunkley may be a bust), and safety. In the AFC, the Pats and Chargers both have issues (as Matty noted).

IMO, the Redskins depth issues will disappear if JC has the kind of season we all expect. I have always believed that if a team has a very good QB, a lot of holes magically disappear in the eyes of the press. With us, it will be no different.[/QUOTE]
IMO if JC is injured than most likely Brunell would play or if not Maybe Gibbs well decide to start collins who to me is another Ramsey at this point.

sandman89 08-22-2007 06:08 PM

[QUOTE=paulskinsfan;342650]Im curious as to why you think Cerrato is a "good Draft scouter." Please elaborate, cause I think he's shit.[/QUOTE]

I mean look at the guys we got.

Rocky Mcintosh
Chris Samuels
Jon Jansen
Jason Campbell
LaVar Arrington
Kendric Goldston
Fred Smoot
Sean Taylor
LaRon Landry
Chris Cooley
Mike Sellers
Lemar Marshall
Carlos Rogers(Who is looking to look how hes suppose to.)
Derrick Dockery
Trent Green
Betts
Cartwright
Gardner
Antonio Peirce

Only thing i see what he did wrong was not drafting a DE for the pat 6- years.

paulskinsfan 08-22-2007 06:49 PM

[quote=sandman89;342835]I mean look at the guys we got.

Rocky Mcintosh
Chris Samuels
Jon Jansen
Jason Campbell
LaVar Arrington
Kendric Goldston
Fred Smoot
Sean Taylor
LaRon Landry
Chris Cooley
Mike Sellers
Lemar Marshall
Carlos Rogers(Who is looking to look how hes suppose to.)
Derrick Dockery
Trent Green
Betts
Cartwright
Gardner
Antonio Peirce

Only thing i see what he did wrong was not drafting a DE for the pat 6- years.[/quote]

Having hard time keeping sarcasm down (gasp), getting the best of me...(gasp)......

OK, first let's start with the obvious. Vinny wasn't even here fore the Trent Green years. Next lets take the total busts out, that would be Gardner, even though he was taken in the 1st round, and many, many people argue that LaVar was a bust. Next, lets take out players who have done NOTHING to make any sort of list. That would be Golston. While he shows promise, that's all he's shown. Also, in that same breath is Carlos "hands of stone" Rogers, Jason Campbell, and Rocky. These guys might show promise, but that is truly all they have shown us. If you want to evaluate a personnel guy, one of the key elements is how he drafts after the first 3 rounds. First Round picks are SUPPOSED TO MAKE THE TEAM! Next, how has he done in free agency. For every single one of the UFA on your list I can name much much bigger FA busts signed by Vinny and Company. Off the top of my head: Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Mark Carrier, Adam Archuletta, Brandon Lloyd.

sandman89 08-22-2007 06:53 PM

[QUOTE=paulskinsfan;342851]Having hard time keeping sarcasm down (gasp), getting the best of me...(gasp)......

OK, first let's start with the obvious. Vinny wasn't even here fore the Trent Green years. Next lets take the total busts out, that would be Gardner, even though he was taken in the 1st round, and many, many people argue that LaVar was a bust. Next, lets take out players who have done NOTHING to make any sort of list. That would be Golston. While he shows promise, that's all he's shown. Also, in that same breath is Carlos "hands of stone" Rogers, Jason Campbell, and Rocky. These guys might show promise, but that is truly all they have shown us. If you want to evaluate a personnel guy, one of the key elements is how he drafts after the first 3 rounds. First Round picks are SUPPOSED TO MAKE THE TEAM! Next, how has he done in free agency. For every single one of the UFA on your list I can name much much bigger FA busts signed by Vinny and Company.[/QUOTE]Can't blame a guy who doesn't choose to trade the draft picks.If he had the chance to keep all the picks than he could have done better i mean look H.B blades is looking very sharp and is supposedly are future MLB.

paulskinsfan 08-22-2007 07:03 PM

[quote=sandman89;342856]Can't blame a guy who doesn't choose to trade the draft picks.If he had the chance to keep all the picks than he could have done better i mean look H.B blades is looking very sharp and is supposedly are future MLB.[/quote]

Ok. Look at the draft picks made by the skins over the last 7 years, and tell me how many players on the team were drafted after the 3rd round.