Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is Clinton Really Hurting? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=19444)

70Chip 08-24-2007 12:34 PM

Is Clinton Really Hurting?

I would be interested in the opinions of the other Warpathers regarding Clinton's knee? Am I the only one who has come to the conclusion that Clinton is basically 95 to 100% healthy and is simply being held out? He did an interview with the press yesterday and he said something to the effect of "Ladanian's had this injury for a long time, too" (laughter). Ladanian Tomlinson doesn't play during the pre-season. Thoughts?

Update: You can hear the Portis interview on the Friday archive of Larry and Bram's radio show at Redskins.com.

MonkFan4Life 08-24-2007 12:38 PM

Re: Is Clinton Really Hurting?

You know me and a friend of mine have been going back and forth with this for a while. I haven't seen the article where he made that quote but it does in fact look like the injury is a big smoke screen. I sure as hell do hope so because I like the Skins' chances [B]with[/B] Portis alot more than without him. I just hope that when he goes in that there aren't many hic-ups. I'd be so geeked out if he broke one for a long run right out the gate.

gibbsisgod 08-24-2007 12:39 PM

No. I don't believe he is injured but the only way I will care is if he is not game ready by week 1.

memphisskin 08-24-2007 12:45 PM

I did think it was a smokescreen, but I don't think he's practicing so the injury may be legit. As long as his conditioning is up, he'll be fine though. Not sure how you stay in condition with tendinitis though...

wilsowilso 08-24-2007 12:48 PM

Whatever it takes for him to have a huge year. Don't really care how he goes about it. Running Backs take such a ridiculous beating I figure he deserves to chill out as long as he keeps up with the playbook.

BigSKINBauer 08-24-2007 12:53 PM

I'm sure he can play but he obviously hates pre-season and has been vocal about it. I wouldn't be surprised if that is a lot of the reason he is being held out. I am fine with him being held out because he doesn't really need it but i'm not really all that happy a player can just get his way like that. However all the training camps he was held out of practice so that means he was injured atleast at that time. I think he is injured but the team is setting his return date as the first game of the season not by coincidence but by in large part that he doesn't like pre-season and furthermore there is no reason for a recently injured player to be playing in the 4th week of preseason anyways.

I heard that the first person to meet campbell on the sideline after his injury was clinton and he was just shaking his head in a way that was like saying this is why pre-season is useless.

Monkeydad 08-24-2007 01:10 PM

As long as he knows the playbook and works out on his own, I'm fine with protecting him. Not having him last year killed us.

The Chargers do it with LT. He practices without pads or contact and sits out the preseason games.

skinsfan_nn 08-24-2007 01:36 PM

We all know CP is lazy as hell and doesn't care for camp or pre-season, I'm sure in his pee brain he's better than that....?

With that said I don't think he's hurt at this point, he's milking this thing till the regular season rolls in. I highly doubt they are keeping him out this long by choice, but I guess better safe than sorry.

One thing is for sure his lazy ass better be ready to roll week one, and two and so fourth.

If he has a great year this will be forgotten, if not CP might have bough a one way ticket outta DC.

MTK 08-24-2007 01:44 PM

I don't think his injury is anything serious either. I think he's being held out for good reason though. No need to risk him.

Redskins_P 08-24-2007 01:47 PM

I'm not concerned at all. The guy gives 110% when he's on the field. He plays way bigger than his size.

I wouldn't worried about CP, unless we find out that he won't be ready for the opener. But I doubt that.

irish 08-24-2007 01:49 PM

His knee is fine, thats not an issue. He knows the system so there is no need to risk him in these meaningless games. But I do think a little live action would help the line get their blocking timing down a little better.

Redskins_P 08-24-2007 01:50 PM

[QUOTE=irish;343578]His knee is fine, thats not an issue. He knows the system so there is no need to risk him in these meaningless games.[/QUOTE]

What he said ^

ArtMonkDrillz 08-24-2007 02:30 PM

I know LT doesn't play in preseason games, but does he practice like normal?

70Chip 08-24-2007 02:39 PM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;343602]I know LT doesn't play in preseason games, but does he practice like normal?[/quote]

I think someone said he works without pads.

ArtMonkDrillz 08-24-2007 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=70Chip;343607]I think someone said he works without pads.[/QUOTE]
that would be the only reason why I would say that CP is not just faking it, or milking a minor injury. If he's not practicing at all I'd think that there's something wrong with him.

GoSkins! 08-24-2007 02:50 PM

He shouldn't be in there trying to help protect the QB with a line that is still an experiment. He would play if it were regular season, and I bet he would play if Wade had worked and Samuels was healthy.

Why try to develop a rhythm behind a line that isn't in sync?

SmootSmack 08-24-2007 02:57 PM

[QUOTE=70Chip;343607]I think someone said he works without pads.[/QUOTE]

And Eli Manning works with "pads"...[I]if[/I] you know what I mean ;)

But seriously folks, I'm not worried about CP missing games in August. I think he'll be raring to go Sept. 9

theJBexperience 08-24-2007 03:20 PM

I don't think Steven Jackson is playing right now either. It makes sense to rest these guys when they wind up being over 50% of your offense.

I've had tendonitis before. It's basically just some soreness, annoying but not that detrimental. I'm sure if CP's not smokescreening, he'll be good to go full steam ahead week one anyways.

EARTHQUAKE2689 08-24-2007 03:28 PM

Really none of the top running backs play in the pre season. Jackson, Tomlinson, if Gore wasnt hurt he wouldnt be playing either on a side note did anyone else hear that Ronnie Brown was taken out of the starting lineup and placed on KO returns

artmonkforhallofamein07 08-24-2007 03:33 PM

CP will be fine by week one I. He is getting in conditioning work. We have all heard that he has run and rides the bike at practice. He just doesn't practice with the team. Which is a little wierd. It reminds me of TO riding a bike all last offseason and then getting in there in week one. And as much as I like Clinton, he really wears his heart on his sleeve with the media sometimes. Saying things that I doubt Gibbs and Co. want to hear, but hey that's one of the reasons that we all love him so much.

skinsfan69 08-24-2007 03:53 PM

Personally, I'm getting tired of CP's act. He is so high maintenence. He acts like he is to good for preseason. Sorry CP your not LT so stop using him as an example as to why you should not play in preseason. You need the work so get out there and get a few reps like the rest of the team. And if you can't do that AT LEAST practice in full pads for once.

dmek25 08-24-2007 04:04 PM

i would be shocked if he doesn't play against Miami. and skinsfan69, why do you think he is high maintenance? he gives the skins 110% every time he plays. a top 5 running back, and maybe the best blocking superstar in the league. if the skins had 11 Clinton Portis' on the field together, i would be very happy

SmootSmack 08-24-2007 04:11 PM

[QUOTE=dmek25;343639]i would be shocked if he doesn't play against Miami. and skinsfan69, why do you think he is high maintenance? he gives the skins 110% every time he plays. a top 5 running back, and maybe the best blocking superstar in the league. if the skins had 11 Clinton Portis' on the field together, i would be very happy[/QUOTE]

As eminent Warpathologist Dr. Daseal once said, "WTF people? Have we forgotten why he got hurt last year? Let me remind you turds. He was chasing down a defender and making a tackle when he could have just jogged off the field after the interception. Don't make me janky spanky yo' ignorant asses"

Monkeydad 08-24-2007 04:11 PM

[quote=dmek25;343639] if the skins had 11 Clinton Portis' on the field together, i would be very happy[/quote]

Portis CAN throw TD passes too. :)

skinsfan69 08-24-2007 04:12 PM

[quote=dmek25;343639]i would be shocked if he doesn't play against Miami. and skinsfan69, why do you think he is high maintenance? he gives the skins 110% every time he plays. a top 5 running back, and maybe the best blocking superstar in the league. if the skins had 11 Clinton Portis' on the field together, i would be very happy[/quote]

I'm not doubting his game day effort. He is a game day player. No doubt about that. He plays with 100% effort. But it's like he practices when he wants, he comes in and out of the games when he wants, he bitches about pre season. Do you think any of the starters want to be out there? Hell no. So why is he any different? IMO you have to get some work in. Whether it's practice or a little game time. Especially a RB. He needs some contact before the 1st game.

skinsguy 08-24-2007 04:18 PM

I don't care if Portis won't play pre-season. As long as he is 100% in week one, that is all that matters to me.

Longtimefan 08-24-2007 04:23 PM

It was quite interesting watching Portis in his latest interview on Redskins.com. Sensing reporters were searching for a weakness to exploit in reference to the injury that continues to keep him sidelined, Clinton just continued to laugh it off. I think they really wanted to ask him if he had purchased a copy of Jerome Bettis"s book.

After witnessing the episode with Clinton last preseason, I had a feeling he would find a convenient way to render it moot this year, and so far he's been very successful at it. I'm not convinced they're holding him out, I think he's holding himself out.

SmootSmack 08-24-2007 04:24 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfan69;343647]I'm not doubting his game day effort. He is a game day player. No doubt about that. He plays with 100% effort. But it's like he practices when he wants, he comes in and out of the games when he wants, he bitches about pre season. Do you think any of the starters want to be out there? Hell no. So why is he any different? IMO you have to get some work in. Whether it's practice or a little game time. Especially a RB. He needs some contact before the 1st game.[/QUOTE]

Weren't John Riggins and Gary Clark also notorious for never practicing?

Schneed10 08-24-2007 04:35 PM

I've been thinking about starting a thread like this myself.

Here's what I think happened in the offseason:

Portis goes to Gibbs and says man that was crap about me getting hurt in the preseason. I'm not playing in the preseason this year, I just won't do it.

Gibbs thinks about it, and thinks well I can force him, or we can just tell everyone he has tendinitis, which just so happens to be an injury that can take a long time to heal, or heal up real quick with rest.

And viola.

That's the conspiracy theorist in me at work. Whether or not that's true, whatever. He'll be 100% healthy by week 1, if he's not already, and that's all that matters.

Longtimefan 08-24-2007 04:40 PM

[QUOTE=Schneed10;343658]I've been thinking about starting a thread like this myself.

Here's what I think happened in the offseason:

Portis goes to Gibbs and says man that was crap about me getting hurt in the preseason. I'm not playing in the preseason this year, I just won't do it.

Gibbs thinks about it, and thinks well I can force him, or we can just tell everyone he has tendinitis, which just so happens to be an injury that can take a long time to heal, or heal up real quick with rest.

And viola.

That's the conspiracy theorist in me at work. Whether or not that's true, whatever. He'll be 100% healthy by week 1, if he's not already, and that's all that matters.[/QUOTE]

I really think you're on to something here, and it hasn't gone unnoticed by the rest of the team. It further demonstrates one of the weaknesses in Gibbs coaching style. Guys look at this and say, "If Clinton can do it, then".........

skinsWill 08-24-2007 05:07 PM

On NFL Total Access last night they showed a shot of a few teams at practice and one of them was the redskins and what did they show? CP and the entire 1st Offense in helmets and shoulder pads doing a runthrough. CP will be rested and ready to go week 1.

D'BOYZ 08-24-2007 05:46 PM

look guys if he isn't even practicing you should be a little concern CP has had a history with injuries and maybe he isn't back from last season injury if he was practicing but didn't play games I would say they don't want to risk him.

Any news on Campbell?

skinsnut 08-24-2007 06:02 PM

[QUOTE=Longtimefan;343660]I really think you're on to something here, and it hasn't gone unnoticed by the rest of the team. It further demonstrates one of the weaknesses in Gibbs coaching style. Guys look at this and say, "If Clinton can do it, then".........[/QUOTE]

You are on something man...speculation about Gibbs saying CP is injured when he is not sparks a "weakness of Gibbs coaching" comment?

Are you like 12 years old or something?
You must not have seen him take a very lame vanilla team for decades and made them into a near dynasty.

Gibbs is a master or personal relations...it is certainly not his weakness.
He may have others but....get a CLUE!

holcknowsbest 08-24-2007 06:10 PM

check this out, i know he will be fine health wise the only thing that i am worried about is the ol fumblitis......hes been known to get that before and i wonder if not playing in preseason will cause that to come up again....that being said its usually just a hic up and he corrects then goes on a pretty good streak again of not fumbling but it could cost us a game and that would piss us all off wouldnt it?

ps he still is a elite running back

artmonkforhallofamein07 08-24-2007 06:11 PM

Campbell is fine. Don't get you hopes up.;)

Were you guys worried last year when TO rode a bike through out training camp.

Portis will be fine.

holcknowsbest 08-24-2007 06:13 PM

[quote=D'BOYZ;343673]look guys if he isn't even practicing you should be a little concern CP has had a history with injuries and maybe he isn't back from last season injury if he was practicing but didn't play games I would say they don't want to risk him.

Any news on Campbell?[/quote]

yeah i got news for you donkey, hes gonna rape your weak ass secondary...still think romo is good, talk up your defense, talk up your oline, tell us TO is unstoppable....cant wait to see your faces after another heart wrenching defeat sucka.

kingerock 08-24-2007 06:14 PM

I don't believe there is a 'history' of injuries, just a bad injury season last year. He'll be ready. I personally don't want to see him on the field behind Campbell until Sept 9th putting 150 yards and 2 TDs on Miami.

D'BOYZ 08-24-2007 06:37 PM

[quote=holcknowsbest;343684]yeah i got news for you donkey, hes gonna rape your weak ass secondary...still think romo is good, talk up your defense, talk up your oline, tell us TO is unstoppable....cant wait to see your faces after another heart wrenching defeat sucka.[/quote]

hahaha thank you haven't laugh so hard in a long time.... rape our secondary has he raped any secondary at all PLEASE, he's the best qb in your roster but he isn't any Peyton, ohh and we raped peyton last year with our secondary.

Have you seen Romo play yes we feel really good about him and he's knees are fine.

Man I didn't came to fight it was a legit concern because there are no reports about his status.

D'BOYZ 08-24-2007 06:39 PM

[quote=kingerock;343685]I don't believe there is a 'history' of injuries, just a bad injury season last year. He'll be ready. I personally don't want to see him on the field behind Campbell until Sept 9th putting 150 yards and 2 TDs on Miami.[/quote]

kingerock come on he has finished only 2 of 5 season if that isn't history what is? and last year he had two separate injuries. last year was pretty serious don't be blinded

skinsfan69 08-24-2007 06:52 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;343656]Weren't John Riggins and Gary Clark also notorious for never practicing?[/quote]

I guess it comes down to whether or not he can perform at a high level w/out any off season work. Time will tell.