Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   ESPN: NFL Playbooks Are Sacred (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/19518-espn-nfl-playbooks-are-sacred.html)

SmootSmack 08-30-2007 01:59 AM

ESPN: NFL Playbooks Are Sacred

Some players grasp the complexities much faster than others. Redskins backup quarterback Todd Collins, an honors student at Michigan, was called "Rain Man" by his teammates in Kansas City because he almost effortlessly knew the book forward and backward.

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview07/news/story?id=2973338&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1]ESPN - Packed with info, NFL playbooks are sacred - NFL[/url]

We finally have a nickname for Collins!

saden1 08-30-2007 02:06 AM

Re: ESPN: NFL Playbooks Are Sacred

Knowing is one thing, executing is another. I pray "Rain Man" doesn't see the field on game day.

KLHJ2 08-30-2007 02:08 AM

[quote=saden1;345069]Knowing is one thing, executing is another. I pray "Rain Man" doesn't see the field on game day.[/quote]

I thought that he looked pretty decent with the number 1's.

hooskins 08-30-2007 02:12 AM

Wow that was a really good read, nice to see a in depth article about something like playbooks. Thanks SS.

SmootSmack 08-30-2007 02:14 AM

I suppose I shouldn't have excerpted the Todd Collins comment, it wasn't my intention to make this thread about Collins. I just thought it was an interesting piece on playbooks, including the pdf file of the Cardinals playbook.

And no, I don't get a commission for recommending ESPN articles to read.

saden1 08-30-2007 02:16 AM

[quote=angryssg;345070]I thought that he looked pretty decent with the number 1's.[/quote]

It's pre-season...and I still remember his performance from last year's pre-season.

hooskins 08-30-2007 02:27 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;345072]I suppose I shouldn't have excerpted the Todd Collins comment, it wasn't my intention to make this thread about Collins. I just thought it was an interesting piece on playbooks, including the pdf file of the Cardinals playbook.

And no, I don't get a commission for recommending ESPN articles to read.[/quote]

The playbook is pretty intense, I am surprised players can understand that well.

Luxorreb 08-30-2007 04:02 AM

Good article. Definitely still preseason. I do appreciate articles like this that show mental aspects of sports and not just bling and dogfighting stories...

Mattyk 08-30-2007 07:01 AM

very cool to see some pages from the Cardinals playbook

mlmpetert 08-30-2007 09:15 AM

Pete Kendall better be pulling some all nighters

Joe Ribbs BBQ 08-30-2007 09:51 AM

Excellent article.... Leinart have fun sleeping on this book

70Chip 08-30-2007 11:30 AM

What amazes me is the complexity of blocking schemes. The guard needs to block the numbers in this situation or the outside shoulder in that situation. We tend to think of it as "you take him, and you take the middle linebacker, and we'll push them back", but it's actually quite an intricate dance they're doing. No wondr coaches are always using the "I need to see the film" out. They really do need to see the film.

Mattyk 08-30-2007 11:40 AM

[quote=70Chip;345148]What amazes me is the complexity of blocking schemes. The guard needs to block the numbers in this situation or the outside shoulder in that situation. We tend to think of it as "you take him, and you take the middle linebacker, and we'll push them back", but it's actually quite an intricate dance they're doing. No wondr coaches are always using the "I need to see the film" out. They really do need to see the film.[/quote]

It's no wonder that offensive lineman are typically the smartest guys on the field. They really do have have a ton of responsibility, and now it's even more obvious just how tough it can be to change positions along the line.

Mc2guy 08-30-2007 11:46 AM

Wow, I think I have a new found respect for the NFL player's mental responsibilities. No wonder it has taken a fully year plus in Al's system for players to truly know their responsibilities on each play.

70Chip 08-30-2007 11:46 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;345150]It's no wonder that offensive lineman are typically the smartest guys on the field. They really do have have a ton of responsibility, and now it's even more obvious just how tough it can be to change positions along the line.[/quote]

I wasn't sure if it was the current Cardinal playbook, but if it is I suspect some of those notes for offensive linemen originated with Gibbs and Bugel since Grimm is down there now. I didn't look at the whole thing but I thought I saw 20 and 30 gut.