Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Portis Blocks Taylor (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=19754)

skinsfan242 09-11-2007 10:21 AM

Portis Blocks Taylor

Does anyone have a video of this?

I looked everwhere and was very surprised in was not on "Jacked up." When Campbell scrambled for a first down in the second half Portis absolutely decleated J. Taylor and sent him airborne about 5 feet, it was the greatest block I have ever seen, and the best part was J. Campbell was 10 yards ahead of Taylor.

Thank!

GTripp0012 09-11-2007 10:22 AM

Re: Portis Blocks Taylor

[quote=skinsfan242;350434]Does anyone have a video of this?

I looked everwhere and was very surprised in was not on "Jacked up." When Campbell scrambled for a first down in the second half Portis absolutely decleated J. Taylor and sent him airborne about 5 feet, it was the greatest block I have ever seen, and the best part was J. Campbell was 10 yards ahead of Taylor.

Thank![/quote]It was Matt Roth he hit, not Taylor, and damn was it a square hit.

Lucky he didn't get unnecessary roughness for it though.

EARTHQUAKE2689 09-11-2007 10:25 AM

It was Matt Roth.

SmootSmack 09-11-2007 10:27 AM

Not to start anything, but....it's those kind of plays that separate Portis from Betts

GTripp0012 09-11-2007 10:28 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;350442]Not to start anything, but....it's those kind of plays that separate Portis from Betts[/quote]Portis has always been the complete player.

Chief X_Phackter 09-11-2007 10:32 AM

He's all effort. I'm looking forward to see what he is going to do this year if he stays healthy. I think the best thing they could have done is keep him out of the preseason.

12thMan 09-11-2007 10:34 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;350442]Not to start anything, but....it's those kind of plays that separate Portis from Betts[/quote]

Yup....

dmek25 09-11-2007 10:37 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;350442]Not to start anything, but....it's those kind of plays that separate Portis from Betts[/quote]
can anyone on this board think of a running back, of portis' caliber, that can block as good as he can? if there are some, its not going to be alot

GhettoDogAllStars 09-11-2007 10:45 AM

[QUOTE=dmek25;350453]can anyone on this board think of a running back, of portis' caliber, that can block as good as he can? if there are some, its not going to be alot[/QUOTE]

Maybe Edgerrin James?

In addition to the Portis block, I thought Cooley did an excellent job blocking Jason Taylor when called upon. I credit Portis' TD run to Cooley's block on Taylor. He simply took him out of that play.

Southpaw 09-11-2007 10:46 AM

[quote=firstdown;350452]As a follow up to my post I think the hit Betts put on Samuals when he ran him over was a harder hit. Not to stir things up.[/quote]

When Betts hits a linebacker that's attempting to tackle him like he hit Samuels, I'll give him props, but so far, the biggest hits he's delivered have been to a corner(that he outweighs by 30 pounds) in the back, and his own lineman who was already leaning downfield.

DGreene28 09-11-2007 11:07 AM

After watching it in super slow mo watching Portis float through the air with the greatest of ease and then land as awkwardly as he did I thought he was going to be done. If you find it watch his legs when he lands I wouldn't be surprised if he can do the splits.

DGreene28 09-11-2007 11:09 AM

[quote=Southpaw;350459]When Betts hits a linebacker that's attempting to tackle him like he hit Samuels, I'll give him props, but so far, the biggest hits he's delivered have been to a corner(that he outweighs by 30 pounds) in the back, and his own lineman who was already leaning downfield.[/quote]

Betts also ran up the back of Thomas 2 years ago and ended his season. Our OL needs to watch out for him

DGreene28 09-11-2007 11:13 AM

[quote=firstdown;350447]I thought it was not very smart play but I always like the way he gives 100%. I myself thought that he did not really get a good hit on the guy and it looked harder than it was.[/quote]

The Phins sideline was yelling for Roth to look out... Portis had him lined up from 15 yards away. If Roth didn't duck at the last second then that could have been the hit of the year. Plays like that fire up the team and take some of the wind out of the opponent. I love Portis for that type of effort and mean streak