Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is The NFC East Back? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=20332)

12thMan 10-16-2007 02:48 PM

Is The NFC East Back?

Sorry Packers fans, but the three best teams in the NFC this year all come from the NFC East. Arguably, in the very order of the current standings: [B]Cowboys, Giants, Redskins. [/B]You'd be hard pressed picking three teams from the same division to make the playoffs, but it could very well end up that way. Here's my brief breakdown of how the division has faired through six weeks.

[B]Dallas Cowboys:[/B] [B]5-1 [/B]The Cowboys are regarded by many as the best team in the NFC right now, and deservedly so. They have a balanced attack on offense and a nice defense to boot. The return of WR Terry Glenn, the soon to be addition of Tank Johnson, and a bye week to nurse some key injuries makes it quite tempting to jump on the band wagon too. But after a nail biter in Buffalo and a whupping by the New England Patriots, the Cowboys have suddenly been brought back down to earth. And with the Giants and Redskins now breathing down their necks, the divisional race could get quite interesting as we approach Thanksgiving Day. No one really questions the talent level on this squad, but if I'm a Cowboys fan , my chief concern is whether or not Wade Phillips can keep his locker room from believing it's own press. After Sunday's lost, both Tony Romo and Terrell Owens alluded to the possibility they could "see New England down the road" in the Super Bowl. If Phillips can't temper such comments in the future, it could be doomsday in big D.

[B][B]The New York Giants: 4-2[/B] [/B]The Giants, in my mind, could be the scariest team, not just in the NFC, but in all of football. At the beginning of the season I picked them to finish dead last, but carefully hedged myself by saying this is a team easily capable of winning it all - and I still believe that. The Giants, irrespective of standings or statistics, have a knack for turning it on and getting hot really fast. If Eli Manning and Plaxico Burress continue to play at this level, they'll present some problems for the rest the way. With Tiki Barber now out of the way, and Michael Strahan managing to keep quiet for two weeks in a row, Tom Coughlin's biggest challenge is to keep the fire burning long enough to make a hard push at winning the division. I know it's really early to be talking playoffs, but trust me these guys peek ahead on the schedule now and then.

[B][B]Washington Redskins: 3-2 [/B][/B]The jury is still out on which way the Redskins will actully swing this year. Many are struggling whether to lump the Redskins in the middle with the Minnesota's and Tamp Bay's of the conference or to put them a step and a half behind the Cowboys. After a disappointing loss to Green Bay, and having their offensive line depleted the Skins hope to rebound and find themselves 4-2 on Sunday. The two constants for the Skins this year have been a stingy Gregg Williams defense and the emergence and maturity of quarterback Jason Campbell. Those are the two things the Skins have hung their hat on through five games, and chances are, it will be those very things that will carry them the rest of the way. The running game, to no fault of it's own, has been wildly inconsistent, and other than Randel-El, and very recently, TE Chris Cooley, no one has asserted themselves as the go to receiver. If the Redskins want to vie for a playoff position and be taken seriously as we approach the mid-way point, these are questions that must be answered.

[B][B]Philadelphia Eagles: 2-3[/B] [/B]Once considered the dominant team in the NFC East, a combination of age, injuries, and a lack of meaningful off season moves have finally caught up with the Eagles. While it's too early to write the Eagles off just yet, the odds are they should finish last this year. But anything can happen in the NFL these days. The Eagles will use the draft and free agencey to re-tool at some key positions, and look toward next season.

Redskin Rich 10-16-2007 02:55 PM

Re: Is The NFC East Back?

[quote=12thMan;365203]Sorry Packers fans, but the three best teams in the NFC this year all come from the NFC East. Arguably, in the very order of the current standings: [B]Cowboys, Giants, Redskins. [/B]You'd be hard pressed picking three teams from the same division to make the playoffs, but it could very well end up that way. Here's my brief breakdown of how the division has faired through six weeks.

[B]Dallas Cowboys:[/B] [B]5-1 [/B]The Cowboys are regarded by many as the best team in the NFC right now, and deservedly so. They have a balanced attack on offense and a nice defense to boot. The return of WR Terry Glenn, the soon to be addition of Tank Johnson, and a bye week to nurse some key injuries makes it quite tempting to jump on the band wagon too. But after a nail biter in Buffalo and a whupping by the New England Patriots, the Cowboys have suddenly been brought back down to earth. And with the Giants and Redskins now breathing down their necks, the divisional race could get quite interesting as we approach Thanksgiving Day. No one really questions the talent level on this squad, but if I'm a Cowboys fan , my chief concern is whether or not Wade Phillips can keep his locker room from believing it's own press. After Sunday's lost, both Tony Romo and Terrell Owens alluded to the possibility they could "see New England down the road" in the Super Bowl. If Phillips can't temper such comments in the future, it could be doomsday in big D.

[B][B]The New York Giants: 4-2[/B] [/B]The Giants, in my mind, could be the scariest team, not just in the NFC, but in all of football. At the beginning of the season I picked them to finish dead last, but carefully hedged myself by saying this is a team easily capable of winning it all - and I still believe that. The Giants, irrespective of standings or statistics, have a knack for turning it on and getting hot really fast. If Eli Manning and Plaxico Burress continue to play at this level, they'll present some problems for the rest the way. With Tiki Barber now out of the way, and Michael Strahan managing to keep quiet for two weeks in a row, Tom Coughlin's biggest challenge is to keep the fire burning long enough to make a hard push at winning the division. I know it's really early to be talking playoffs, but trust me these guys peek ahead on the schedule now and then.

[B][B]Washington Redskins: 3-2 [/B][/B]The jury is still out on which way the Redskins will actully swing this year. Many are struggling whether to lump the Redskins in the middle with the Minnesota's and Tamp Bay's of the conference or to put them a step and a half behind the Cowboys. After a disappointing loss to Green Bay, and having their offensive line depleted the Skins hope to rebound and find themselves 4-2 on Sunday. The two constants for the Skins this year have been a stingy Gregg Williams defense and the emergence and maturity of quarterback Jason Campbell. Those are the two things the Skins have hung their hat on through five games, and chances are, it will be those very things that will carry them the rest of the way. The running game, to no fault of it's own, has been wildly inconsistent, and other than Randel-El, and very recently, TE Chris Cooley, no one has asserted themselves as the go to receiver. If the Redskins want to vie for a playoff position and be taken seriously as we approach the mid-way point, these are questions that must be answered.

[B][B]Philadelphia Eagles: 2-3[/B] [/B]Once considered the dominant team in the NFC East, a combination of age, injuries, and a lack of meaningful off season moves have finally caught up with the Eagles. While it's too early to write the Eagles off just yet, the odds are they should finish last this year. But anything can happen in the NFL these days. The Eagles will use the draft and free agencey to re-tool at some key positions, and look toward next season.[/quote]

OK... I am a Skins fan... but if we JUST lost to the Packers.. how can we say we are better than them? Why don't we wait a couple of weeks... win a couple more games after that.. then say we are not the same team that just lost to them?

TheBigD 10-16-2007 02:56 PM

[quote=12thMan;365203]Sorry Packers fans, but the three best teams in the NFC this year all come from the NFC East. Arguably, in the very order of the current standings: Cowboys, Giants, Redskins[B]. You'd be hard pressed picking three teams from the same division to make the playoffs, but it could very well end up that way[/B]. [/quote]
It just happened last year. Cowboys, Eagles and Giants.

12thMan 10-16-2007 02:59 PM

[quote=Redskin Rich;365204]OK... I am a Skins fan... but if we JUST lost to the Packers.. how can we say we are better than them? Why don't we wait a couple of weeks... win a couple more games after that.. then say we are not the same team that just lost to them?[/quote]

Sorry Rich, my thread so that makes the Skins better.

12thMan 10-16-2007 02:59 PM

[quote=TheBigD;365205]It just happened last year. Cowboys, Eagles and Giants.[/quote]

yeah, but two years in a row??

GTripp0012 10-16-2007 04:43 PM

[quote=12thMan;365203]Sorry Packers fans, but the three best teams in the NFC this year all come from the NFC East. Arguably, in the very order of the current standings: [B]Cowboys, Giants, Redskins. [/B]You'd be hard pressed picking three teams from the same division to make the playoffs, but it could very well end up that way. Here's my brief breakdown of how the division has faired through six weeks.

[B][B]Philadelphia Eagles: 2-3[/B] [/B]Once considered the dominant team in the NFC East, a combination of age, injuries, and a lack of meaningful off season moves have finally caught up with the Eagles. While it's too early to write the Eagles off just yet, the odds are they should finish last this year. But anything can happen in the NFL these days. The Eagles will use the draft and free agencey to re-tool at some key positions, and look toward next season.[/quote]Don't forget the Bucs, 12th. That team has been playing great football and Garcia is having a pro bowl caliber year. They are probably the best team in the NFC right now.

That said, the NFC East has produced 4 of the best 6 teams in the conference through the first quarter of the season. So by definition, I guess that makes it back.

Trying to figure out when it ever left is quite the riddle though. :P

SouperMeister 10-16-2007 04:56 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;365280]Don't forget the Bucs, 12th. That team has been playing great football and Garcia is having a pro bowl caliber year. They are probably the best team in the NFC right now.

That said, the NFC East has produced 4 of the best 6 teams in the conference through the first quarter of the season. So by definition, I guess that makes it back.

Trying to figure out when it ever left is quite the riddle though. :P[/quote]The Bucs don't scare me at all. They haven't played any tough teams yet with the exception of Indy, who took them behind the woodshed. That said, after looking at their schedule they have a much easier road than the Skins. That's the benefit of playing in a very weak NFC South. I really like the Skins chances in TB on 11/25 as long as the O-line isn't further decimated, and Sean Taylor doesn't spit on anybody.

12thMan 10-16-2007 05:01 PM

[quote=SouperMeister;365286]The Bucs don't scare me at all. They haven't played any tough teams yet with the exception of Indy, who took them behind the woodshed. That said, after looking at their schedule they have a much easier road than the Skins. That's the benefit of playing in a very weak NFC South. I really like the Skins chances in TB on 11/25 as long as the O-line isn't further decimated, and Sean Taylor doesn't spit on anybody.[/quote]

I really do hate the Bucs. I think Pittman is hurt too.

sandtrapjack 10-16-2007 05:20 PM

[B]Cowboys[/B] - toughest road yet still ahead. After their bye next week, the Cowboys have a stretch of games where 5 of their remaining 9 games are against division rivals. 3 of those 5 division games are road games. Not to mention that the combined record of the teams Dallas has played thus far is 7-22, the combined record of their remaining opponents......24-20! If the Cowboys beat the Vikes in Texas Stadium this weekend, they enter the bye at 6-1, and can keep that one game cushion they will need over the Giants. If the Vikes pull the upset, then Dallas in all probability, will end thier bye week TIED for the div lead with the Giants and will have to play the G-Men in the Meadowlands. But if they are 6-1 at the bye, realistically Dallas can go 5-4 on the last half of the season to finish 11-5.

[B]Giants[/B]- The hottest team in the NFC right now with 4 consecutive wins. But they opened up the season strong last year only to fade in the last half. If they keep momentum they will be tough. They started the season pretty banged up at key positions, but they are starting to get those people back healthy and in time for a strong second half playoff push.

[B]Redskins[/B] - What team is going to show up? 6 of the last 9 road games dating back to last season, this team went into the locker room at halftime with the lead. But left those stadiums with a mark in the "L" colomn at the end of the 4th qtr. This is a defense that has given up only 5 TD's in five games, and are as good as any defense to take the field. The Redskins have to show they can finish off an opponent before anyone truly takes them seriously.

[B]Eagles[/B] - They squeaked out a win on the Jets this past weekend, but this is clearly not the same team that dominated the NFC East for so many years and went to 4straight NFC title games. Anyone else notice that even though the Jets lost, they were able to move the ball pretty much at will and made several trips inside the 20? NOt sure what to think about this team, but rumors of McNabb leaving at the end of the year and more rumors about Andy Reid moving on may be too much of a distraction. But in thier stretch of losses compared to the games they have won this season there is one major difference. BRIAN WESTBROOK. in those games that Westbrook missed due to injury, the Eagles lost. But in those games where Westbrook played...they win.

12thMan 10-16-2007 05:27 PM

[quote=sandtrapjack;365296][B]Cowboys[/B] - toughest road yet still ahead. After their bye next week, the Cowboys have a stretch of games where 5 of thier remaining 9 games are against division rivals. 3 of those 5 division games are road games. If the Cowboys beat the Vikes in Texas Stadium this weekend, they enter the bye at 6-1, and can keep that one game cushion they will need over the Giants. If the Vikes pull the upset, then Dallas in all probability, will end thier bye week TIED for the div lead with the Giants and will have to play the G-Men in the Meadowlands. But if they are 6-1 at the bye, realistically Dallas can go 5-4 on the last half of the season to finish 11-5.

[B]Giants[/B]- The hottest team in the NFC right now with 4 consecutive wins. But they opened up the season strong last year only to fade in the last half. If they keep momentum they will be tough. They started the season pretty banged up at key positions, but they are starting to get those people back healthy and in time for a strong second half playoff push.

[B]Redskins[/B] - What team is going to show up? 6 of the last 9 road games dating back to last season, this team went into the locker room at halftime with the lead. But left those stadiums with a mark in the "L" colomn at the end of the 4th qtr. This is a defense that has given up only 5 TD's in five games, and are as good as any defense to take the field. The Redskins have to show they can finish off an opponent before anyone truly takes them seriously.

[B]Eagles[/B] - They squeaked out a win on the Jets this past weekend, but this is clearly not the same team that dominated the NFC East for so many years and went to 4straight NFC title games. Anyone else notice that even though the Jets lost, they were able to move the ball pretty much at will and made several trips inside the 20? NOt sure what to think about this team, but rumors of McNabb leaving at the end of the year and more rumors about Andy Reid moving on may be too much of a distraction. But in thier stretch of losses compared to the games they have won this season there is one major difference. BRIAN WESTBROOK. in those games that Westbrook missed due to injury, the Eagles lost. But in those games where Westbrook played...they win.[/quote]

I like, I like...

Redskin Rich 10-16-2007 05:35 PM

[quote=12thMan;365208]Sorry Rich, my thread so that makes the Skins better.[/quote]
You are 100% correct.. my apologies

SouperMeister 10-16-2007 05:38 PM

It bothers me that for the 2nd straight year, we failed to put the Giants in a significant early season hole when the opportunity was there. Gibbs stubbornly played into their hands by not exploiting a weak Giants secondary either time. I'm afraid that the meeting in Jersey will just be another loss if we insist on running the ball after GB and Dallas gave everyone a blueprint for attacking the Giants D via the pass.

Skinsfan1967 10-16-2007 06:37 PM

Redskins are only 11 points from being undefeated. I am concerned about the O line injuries.

MTK 10-17-2007 08:26 AM

We may have lost to GB, but there's no way you can convince me they are a better team.

hagams 10-17-2007 09:08 AM

I don't think that any teams in the East is better than any other teams right now. The Cowboys are playing big-time football (Com'on, it was New England that beat them.) Skins and Giants are starting to show more life and the ability to win games, but I'm not overly convinced that we are a top team in the NFC no matter what the record says. We are without a doubt 100% better than last year, but that's like saying were the head cashier at Wal-Mart. Sounds good, but don't mean anything.
We are a top 10 NFL team, and could be higher, we just need to find a way to win more of the close ones.