Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/)
-   -   Toyota loses ground in reliability report; Ford models make impressive showings (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/20349-toyota-loses-ground-reliability-report-ford.html)

Mattyk 10-17-2007 09:21 AM

Toyota loses ground in reliability report; Ford models make impressive showings

A bit of a shocker for Toyota, and good news for Ford.

Link: [url=http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071017/BUSINESS01/710170385]CONSUMER REPORTS ANNUAL REVIEW: Toyota loses ground in reliability report; Ford models make impressive showings[/url]

Toyota Motor Corp.'s quality reputation got dinged in the latest Consumer Reports survey of new-vehicle buyers, as glitches in new models pushed the company from the top of the magazine's rankings and canceled the automatic "recommended" rating bestowed on new Toyota, Scion and Lexus models.

Schneed10 10-17-2007 09:59 AM

Re: Toyota loses ground in reliability report; Ford models make impressive showings

Nice link Matty. Honda and Toyota still rank the highest, but it's interesting to see the American makes starting to catch up.

cpayne5 10-17-2007 10:05 AM

Re: Toyota loses ground in reliability report; Ford models make impressive showings

More evidence for what I said here...
[url]http://www.redskinswarpath.com/359572-post27.html[/url]

saden1 10-17-2007 10:19 AM

Nice...It's definitely a good thing when there is competition.

Speaking of Ford, I was at a party this past weekend at the house of Allen Mullally's daughter (Ford's CEO) and she was banging. Anywho, as I was waiting for the bathroom to open up I said "she is hot" to this guy waiting in line next to me. He didn't say one thing and he put on a smirk. For the rest of the night the SOB was everywhere I was and where I wanted to be was next to Mullally's daughter chatting her up. Talk about the perfect buzz killer...I head after the party she had a boyfriend and I'm thinking he might have been her boyfriend.

Monkeydad 10-17-2007 10:40 AM

[quote=Schneed10;365478]Nice link Matty. Honda and Toyota still rank the highest, but it's interesting to see the American makes starting to catch up.[/quote]

This has been a trend over the past few years that has been mostly ignored. Ford and GM have closed the gap and are as reliable if not more with some models as their Japanese competitors. Chrysler has not made as significant progress, but they now offer a lifetime powertrain warranty that INCLUDES their achilles heel, their transmissions. Toyota and Honda have been slipping, so their reliability does not outweigh their ugliness anymore, plus they cost significantly more to repair.

cpayne5 10-17-2007 10:53 AM

[QUOTE=Buster;365492]...plus they cost significantly more to repair.[/QUOTE]

100% false

Subaru is expensive, as are the Germans. But Toyota and Honda are about equal to Detroit when it comes to parts.

EternalEnigma21 10-17-2007 11:54 AM

speaking only from experience, Hyundai is actually making a far better car than the perception as well.

Schneed10 10-17-2007 12:05 PM

[quote=Buster;365492]This has been a trend over the past few years that has been mostly ignored. Ford and GM have closed the gap and are as reliable if not more with some models as their Japanese competitors. Chrysler has not made as significant progress, but they now offer a lifetime powertrain warranty that INCLUDES their achilles heel, their transmissions. Toyota and Honda have been slipping, so their reliability does not outweigh their ugliness anymore, plus they cost significantly more to repair.[/quote]

Honda has not been slipping, read the article. They own the top spot this year according to Consumer Reports. Their luxury line, Acura, is 2nd.

1-2. Definitely not slipping.

Toyota did slip. Ford gained. But Toyota only went from 1st to 5th. Ford is still listed below Toyota. If the trend continues, then Ford will be a more reliable car. But improvement should not be confused for "better than Toyota."

If Ford were better than Toyota, it would rank higher on the list. It does not. We'll see how each company responds over the next year.

EternalEnigma21 10-17-2007 12:13 PM

nm nm nm

Daseal 10-17-2007 12:22 PM

I think it's funny how we define "American" now. GM / Ford make nearly all their vehicles in Mexico. Toyota makes more cars in the United States than any other company.

cpayne5 10-17-2007 12:42 PM

[QUOTE=Daseal;365546]I think it's funny how we define "American" now. GM / Ford make nearly all their vehicles in Mexico. Toyota makes more cars in the United States than any other company.[/QUOTE]

Not quite.

In millions of vehicles produced in the USA out of total produced by company:
Toyota - 1.3 of 8.0
GM - 3.0 of 8.9
Ford - 2.4 of 6.3
Chrysler - 1.5 of 2.5
Honda - .98 of 3.7

Daseal 10-17-2007 12:43 PM

I heard incorrectly, boo to you and your "stats".

Mattyk 10-17-2007 12:45 PM

cpayne knows his cars LOL

drew54 10-17-2007 02:13 PM

[QUOTE=cpayne5;365556]Not quite.

In millions of vehicles produced in the USA out of total produced by company:
Toyota - 1.3 of 8.0
GM - 3.0 of 8.9
Ford - 2.4 of 6.3
Chrysler - 1.5 of 2.5
Honda - .98 of 3.7[/QUOTE]

Looks like Chrysler is the most American brand out there.

Do you have a link to this, I would like to shove it in my Toyota driving sister's face. She bought a Yoda because she thought it was more American because the dealer told her about a plant in Indiana.

hooskins 10-17-2007 02:38 PM

This won't help Buster and his raging Ford hard-on.