Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=20352)

mredskins 10-17-2007 04:03 PM

Re: Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

[quote=RobH4413;365730]Maybe you should be proactive and try to make this happen. Write your congressman a letter, find out his point of view on the issue, and ask him why he has that stance.

I believe if your living in Abingdon,MD you would be in the first district.

Here is where you can contact Congressman Wayne Gilchrest
[URL="http://gilchrest.house.gov/contact.asp?ContactType=Form"]Congressman Wayne Gilchrest - Serving Maryland's First District[/URL]

Who knows, someone may happen.[/quote]

Done, I will keep you posted. If you order some bean sprouts and there is no tax you will know my work is done.

saden1 10-17-2007 04:11 PM

I find it odd that we give income tax breaks only to raise taxes on goods and services. We get tax breaks for owning a home but you pay state property tax. I'm I the only one who finds our tax system crooked? They give you a break only to turnaround and fleece you from another angle. Or increase fines or tax the hell out of a product most people don't like.

Schneed10 10-17-2007 04:29 PM

[quote=firstdown;365736]I have also heard the argument that smoking and obess people save medicare money because they die younger.[/quote]

Incorrect, because even though they go out, they go out with catastrophically expensive cases.

RobH4413 10-17-2007 04:35 PM

[quote=mredskins;365737]Done, I will keep you posted. If you order some bean sprouts and there is no tax you will know my work is done.[/quote]
Awesome!, I'm interested to hear if he has anything to say.

jsarno 10-17-2007 04:36 PM

[QUOTE=saden1;365742]I find it odd that we give income tax breaks only to raise taxes on goods and services. We get tax breaks for owning a home but you pay state property tax. I'm I the only one who finds our tax system crooked? They give you a break only to turnaround and fleece you from another angle. Or increase fines or tax the hell out of a product most people don't like.[/QUOTE]

We're back on the same wave length again. I 100% agree with you here.
For as many bad taxes there are out there, what about the death tax? Even after you die, they want taxes out of you. Jeesh.

I would really LOVE for the government to call me up and offer me a job to do nothing but look at the "budget" and trim the fat. This mean everything...$500 pens, $10,000 toilet seats etc. I know I could find all sorts of money.

RobH4413 10-17-2007 04:37 PM

Some may find it interesting that Montgomery County, MD has banned sales on all food containing trans fats. Way to go rich people.

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/15/AR2007051501387.html]Montgomery Bans Trans Fats in Restaurants, Markets - washingtonpost.com[/url]

jsarno 10-17-2007 04:40 PM

[QUOTE=Schneed10;365753]Incorrect, because even though they go out, they go out with catastrophically expensive cases.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure either way, but is there any proof to this? A massive heart attack is pretty cheap when the ambulance arrives and the guy is dead.
On the flip side, those that live longer and get other issues such as memory problems (can't spell alz....), do suck off the government. We're paying medicare and social security, as well as supporting nursing homes...not to mention the MASSIVE amount of elderly people that are taking 10 or more meds a DAY.
I am just not sure either way is more expensive than the other...any one have stats on this?

jsarno 10-17-2007 04:47 PM

[QUOTE=mredskins;365709]How about no tax on health food. I bet that won't happen.[/QUOTE]

There are certain foods that are good for you that taken in massive quantities are bad for you. The "obese" people in the world aren't satisfied with 1 extra value meal when they go through the drive through line...they want a lot more.
Why don't people just realize it's about the lack of exercise in this country. Maybe they should make a mandatory 35 hour work week so we have more time to work out? Or we're only allowed to work 4 days a week or something? Then spend the extra tax dollars on a gym membership. If you don't use it, then you need to pay a fee or something? That would give people incentive. Taxing the food won't do a thing to help obesity. NOTHING. So why are they doing it? MONEY. Plain and simple.

firstdown 10-17-2007 04:54 PM

[quote=Schneed10;365753]Incorrect, because even though they go out, they go out with catastrophically expensive cases.[/quote]
And healthy people just fall over and die on the streets without using the system once.LOL But allot of unhealthy people do not make it to age 65 to get medicare.

firstdown 10-17-2007 04:56 PM

[quote=jsarno;365771]There are certain foods that are good for you that taken in massive quantities are bad for you. The "obese" people in the world aren't satisfied with 1 extra value meal when they go through the drive through line...they want a lot more.
Why don't people just realize it's about the lack of exercise in this country. Maybe they should make a mandatory 35 hour work week so we have more time to work out? Or we're only allowed to work 4 days a week or something? Then spend the extra tax dollars on a gym membership. If you don't use it, then you need to pay a fee or something? That would give people incentive. Taxing the food won't do a thing to help obesity. NOTHING. So why are they doing it? MONEY. Plain and simple.[/quote]
I vote for the extra day off because thats when I do my healthest stuff like running to the frig for a cold one.

firstdown 10-17-2007 04:58 PM

[quote=RobH4413;365763]Some may find it interesting that Montgomery County, MD has banned sales on all food containing trans fats. Way to go rich people.

[URL="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/15/AR2007051501387.html"]Montgomery Bans Trans Fats in Restaurants, Markets - washingtonpost.com[/URL][/quote]
The same is in NY city I believe.

firstdown 10-17-2007 05:00 PM

Hey you guys keep this going I have to leave work and stop by KFC to pick up dinner and 7/11 to get a 12 pack to chase it down.

jsarno 10-17-2007 05:14 PM

[QUOTE=firstdown;365778]I vote for the extra day off because thats when I do my healthest stuff like running to the frig for a cold one.[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah...I'd rather work 10 hours a day 4 days a week than work 8 hours a day 5 days a week.
Then again, I don't remember the last time I had a 40 hour a week job. All my jobs have been around 48 minimum, couple being about 60 minimum.

A lot of unhealthy eaters and people are unhealthy because they have very little time to sit down and eat healthy...they are always working.

Hog1 10-18-2007 07:49 AM

[quote=jsarno;365651]Depends on who you're talking about...there are still several states with no Helmet laws, such as where I live in NM.

I understand the comments about these people should pay a higher premium to kill themselves, it's a valid argument, but my concern is the slippery slope we're heading down.
Seat belt laws, anti gun laws, cig taxes...they are all in an effort to somehow control the general population. Wearing a seat belt should be my choice. Wearing a helmet should be my choice. Eating a burger at McDonalds should be my choice without having to pay a higher premium. What you guys are failing to see is that if this tax goes through places like McDonalds, Burger king etc will lose business, if they lose business, what is going to happen to the economy? How many employees do those fast food places employ? By taxing the food, the gov is saying we the people are wrong for choosing it. In a lot of cases we are, but who is the Gov to step in and tell everyone so. I personally HATE McDonalds with a passion, but my wife (who is 115 pounds) LOVES it. (the big n tasty) She is not fat, nor out of shape. She exercises every day to every other day...why should she be over charged for that burger?
I wear a selt belt every time I get in a car, but I understand the rights of others to not want to. I grew up in a state where you didn't have to (Mass) until recently. I don't always wear a helmet when I ride my motorcycle, and it's quite a different experience for those that haven't done it. I wear it when I plan to ride fast, (highways), but I don't if I'm piddling around town. I should never be told I have to wear a helmet, or a seat belt.
AGain, I understand the counter point to this, but I feel a lot of people are missing the point that this is becoming an evermore slippery slope. What's next? We are allowing the government to tell us what to do in just about everything we do, and that's not why the government is here. The government should not say "well you're not going to take care of yourself, so we will take care of you for you." [B]And who really takes the brunt of this general idea? The people who work hard for a living. Cause they are over taxed and no cig tax, or fast food tax will decrease the amount of tax burden on the working man.[/B][/quote]

THANKYOU

MTK 10-18-2007 08:14 AM

[quote=jsarno;365788]Hell yeah...I'd rather work 10 hours a day 4 days a week than work 8 hours a day 5 days a week.
Then again, I don't remember the last time I had a 40 hour a week job. All my jobs have been around 48 minimum, couple being about 60 minimum.

[B]A lot of unhealthy eaters and people are unhealthy because they have very little time to sit down and eat healthy...they are always working[/B].[/quote]

That's a super lame excuse.

If you have time to go to these places and order, you have the time to pack a healthy lunch, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper to brown bag it.

Let's not sugar coat things, people are unhealthy eaters because they choose to be.