Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/)
-   -   Hollywood Writers Strike (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/20684-hollywood-writers-strike.html)

SmootSmack 11-06-2007 12:48 AM

Hollywood Writers Strike

[url=http://www.usatoday.com/life/2007-11-01-writers-strike_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip]Hollywood writers picket; late-night TV first to feel effects - USATODAY.com[/url]

This could get pretty interesting, as late night tv is already going into reruns, primetime series could end early or not make in on the air at all (see 24), and some cable shows might actually become network staples in the coming months (see Battlestar Galactica)

JWsleep 11-06-2007 01:53 AM

Re: Hollywood Writers Strike

How will we live? How will we survive? I feel shaky and weak already. Are those bugs on my skin? ;)

Reminds me of a line from a Woody Allen story: Paris. Everywhere there is light! The mimes are on strike and the whole city is shut down..

dmek25 11-06-2007 07:31 AM

what a joke. millions of production jobs leaving America, with nary a peep. and these couple of hundred writers crying about DVD sales. don't make me laugh. where is Ronald Reagan when you need him? i tend to think air traffic controllers are worth alittle more. and we all know how that turned out

Monkeydad 11-06-2007 10:15 AM

They're doing us a favor...a break from new crap coming out of Hollywood.

jbcjr14 11-06-2007 10:33 AM

Perfect timing! Now I can just play my new Call of Duty 4 game on my Xbox 360 and not have to worry about catching up on the shows. :-)

firstdown 11-06-2007 10:34 AM

Hollywood people just get on my nerves. In their time off they are probably thinking of a new awards show they could have to prop up their egos just a little more.

saden1 11-06-2007 11:11 AM

[quote=dmek25;374467]what a joke. millions of production jobs leaving America, with nary a peep. and these couple of hundred writers crying about DVD sales. don't make me laugh. where is Ronald Reagan when you need him? i tend to think air traffic controllers are worth alittle more. and we all know how that turned out[/quote]

Come on, they're trying to get their cut from all the sales rather than what the Studios throw to them. Plus, I'm enjoying seeing the Studios at least cringe because those mofos can't outsource writing to other countries, hell, they can't even outsource them to the UK.

Go Writers!

dmek25 11-06-2007 01:23 PM

i see their point. but what kind of union would allow this in the first place?

dblanch66 11-06-2007 09:44 PM

[QUOTE=dmek25;374467]what a joke. millions of production jobs leaving America, with nary a peep. and these couple of hundred writers crying about DVD sales. don't make me laugh. where is Ronald Reagan when you need him? i tend to think air traffic controllers are worth alittle more. and we all know how that turned out[/QUOTE]

You obviously don't make your living writing. You obviously don't really know all the details behind the strike. Check your facts before posting an uneducated opinion.

dblanch66 11-06-2007 09:45 PM

[QUOTE=Buster;374502]They're doing us a favor...a break from new crap coming out of Hollywood.[/QUOTE]

So you don't go to movies or watch tv, I guess. Lemme guess...you read.

skinsguy 11-06-2007 11:47 PM

[QUOTE=dblanch66;374819]You obviously don't make your living writing. You obviously don't really know all the details behind the strike. Check your facts before posting an uneducated opinion.[/QUOTE]

I take it you or somebody you know is a writer for Hollywood?

itvnetop 11-07-2007 12:15 AM

To those criticizing the strike, you really should research the WGA's stance before doing so.

I'm willing to wager most of the complainers are avid watchers of television or film. Most writers get paid a pittance of what actors and directors make, yet are just as important in the success of a show. Great acting can never save horrible writing- ever.

At the top of this strike is alternative media (ie, internet viewing) compensation. Whereby, writers are getting jacked big time.

dblanch66 11-07-2007 03:09 AM

[QUOTE=skinsguy;374878]I take it you or somebody you know is a writer for Hollywood?[/QUOTE]

Chances are you've enjoyed the fruits of our labor.

saden1 11-07-2007 03:16 AM

[quote=dblanch66;374914]Chances are you've enjoyed the fruits of [B]our[/B] labor.[/quote]

I guess that means you're a writer eh? Or are you in the same boat as Brian?

[YT]-g4O8MTqQCU[/YT]

dmek25 11-07-2007 07:37 AM

[quote=dblanch66;374819]You obviously don't make your living writing. You obviously don't really know all the details behind the strike. Check your facts before posting an uneducated opinion.[/quote]
OK then, educate me. i know that Internet, and DVD residuals are part of the issue. but why wasn't your union around before? its not like this just started. and i can guess what the production companies answer is. they need the money to offset rising production costs. sorry that you took offense to my post, but this strike is a piss ass peon in the grand scheme of things. should not be as newsworthy as it is