Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How about a little help for the older NFL Stars (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=21224)

Redskin Rich 12-04-2007 12:07 PM

How about a little help for the older NFL Stars

While we are talking about several funds available for our dollars right now... how about Mike Ditka's fund: [url=http://gridirongreats.org/]Gridiron Greats Assistance Fund[/url]

So many of the older players did not get the MILLIONS in signing bonus. They are now suffering from alot of physical and mental issues from the hard hits they took building the game we love so much. They are fighting with the NFLPA to take care of their medical needs... and UNTIL they win... you can throw a few bucks their way to say thanks for building something I love so much.

Just my two cents.

xkaotikx 12-04-2007 12:09 PM

Re: How about a little help for the older NFL Stars

[QUOTE=Redskin Rich;388754]While we are talking about several funds available for our dollars right now... how about Mike Ditka's fund: [url=http://gridirongreats.org/]Gridiron Greats Assistance Fund[/url]

So many of the older players did not get the MILLIONS in signing bonus. They are now suffering from alot of physical and mental issues from the hard hits they took building the game we love so much. They are fighting with the NFLPA to take care of their medical needs... and UNTIL they win... you can throw a few bucks their way to say thanks for building something I love so much.

Just my two cents.[/QUOTE]

Rich, if you'd like, I could design a ribbon for them as well...and we could sell them together and donate the purchases. It may take a few days until the design is complete. Then once I get your approval of the design, I'll send it to my suppliers of the Sean Taylor ribbon and make sure they'd be able to recreate it.

Redskin Rich 12-04-2007 12:12 PM

[quote=xkaotikx;388757]Rich, if you'd like, I could design a ribbon for them as well...and we could sell them together and donate the purchases. It may take a few days until the design is complete. Then once I get your approval of the design, I'll send it to my suppliers of the Sean Taylor ribbon and make sure they'd be able to recreate it.[/quote]
My approval??? I would suggest if you want to try something like that, you should contact them directly.

xkaotikx 12-04-2007 12:15 PM

[QUOTE=Redskin Rich;388760]My approval??? I would suggest if you want to try something like that, you should contact them directly.[/QUOTE]

Is there anyway you could get the contact information to my email so I have it in record like the Sean Taylor Memorial Trust Fund?

Redskin Rich 12-04-2007 12:34 PM

[quote=xkaotikx;388762]Is there anyway you could get the contact information to my email so I have it in record like the Sean Taylor Memorial Trust Fund?[/quote]
The link is posted on this... just contact them from the link.

SmootSmack 12-04-2007 12:56 PM

I can't help but detect the irony in you starting this thread suggesting we give money to former NFL players when just last week you were all upset about the Redskins letting people know how they could donate to Sean Taylor's daughter's fund if they wanted to.

Redskin 12-04-2007 01:01 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;388781]I can't help but detect the irony in you starting this thread suggesting we give money to former NFL players when just last week you were all upset about the Redskins letting people know how they could donate to Sean Taylor's daughter's fund if they wanted to.[/quote]

Your irony detectors are good, maybe too good

Redskin Rich 12-04-2007 01:45 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;388781]I can't help but detect the irony in you starting this thread suggesting we give money to former NFL players when just last week you were all upset about the Redskins letting people know how they could donate to Sean Taylor's daughter's fund if they wanted to.[/quote]
I actually started this thread because of those. ST had a $600,000 life insurance policy through the NFL, Snyder gave a minimum of $500,000 to that fund. I am sure lots of players are also going to donate to that. I would say that should be more than enough money to help that very lovely young girl get a head start in life.

My point with this thread is that you have other people without alot of money sitting in the bank, who helped build this game. They are now paying the physical price of playing such a violent sport, and they don't have the assistance needed to even cover the basic costs of care from those injuries. The NFLPA is not doing what it should to help their groundbreakers.

htownskinfan 12-04-2007 01:45 PM

I thought it was great kyle Turley stepped up and donated 25 grand and challenged other players to do the same and as far as I know not a single other player has done so,pretty classless

Redskin Rich 12-04-2007 01:48 PM

[quote=htownskinfan;388794]I thought it was great kyle Turley stepped up and donated 25 grand and challenged other players to do the same and as far as I know not a single other player has done so,pretty classless[/quote]
Yes, so many of the younger players forget who built the game that allows them to have the big pay day.

I hope that the pressure mounted by Turley's action would eventually get more current guys to think.

Public pressure is what it will eventually take to get the NFLPA to step up.

FRPLG 12-04-2007 02:56 PM

[QUOTE=Redskin Rich;388793]I actually started this thread because of those. ST had a $600,000 life insurance policy through the NFL, Snyder gave a minimum of $500,000 to that fund. I am sure lots of players are also going to donate to that. I would say that should be more than enough money to help that very lovely young girl get a head start in life.

My point with this thread is that you have other people without alot of money sitting in the bank, who helped build this game. They are now paying the physical price of playing such a violent sport, and they don't have the assistance needed to even cover the basic costs of care from those injuries. The NFLPA is not doing what it should to help their groundbreakers.[/QUOTE]

That's 1.1 million dollars divide over 21 years(enough to get her through sollege) is about $52,000 a year which isn't all that much in terms of income replacement.

Redskin Rich 12-04-2007 03:01 PM

[quote=FRPLG;388818]That's 1.1 million dollars divide over 21 years(enough to get her through sollege) is about $52,000 a year which isn't all that much in terms of income replacement.[/quote]
I am sure ST has an asset or two already... This does not take into account other NFL players who will donate. Snyder committed to a MINIMUM of 500K.

Even if it is no more than 1.1 Mil... invested at 5% gives $55,000 a year without touching principal. That is a better head start than most kids have.

My point is still, you have 50 year old men in wheelchairs from playing in the NFL, and they get a couple hundred a month in pension, and their disability payments are DENIED.

Stacks42 12-04-2007 03:09 PM

He should still have a ton money in the bank being a top 5 pick, right?

Redskin Rich 12-04-2007 03:55 PM

[quote=Stacks42;388827]He should still have a ton money in the bank being a top 5 pick, right?[/quote]
That is a big part of my problem about the Redskins asking for donations for that young lady.... it appears she will be much better taken care of than alot of other guys that are part of the Redskin family.