Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   UPDATE: Parcells Named Dolphins Exec VP (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=21481)

SmootSmack 12-18-2007 10:59 PM

UPDATE: Parcells Named Dolphins Exec VP

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3160597]ESPN - Sources: ESPN's Parcells considering vice president offer from Falcons - NFL[/url]

I hear he's leaning toward yes. And he might bring in John Fox to be his coach next year, assuming the Panthers let Fox go.

But I guess I'll ask the inevitable question as it applies to the Redskins. If Parcells does join the Falcons, it probably means Rich McKay is out the door as President and GM.

So...should the Redskins go after McKay? For the record, I say no.

djnemo65 12-18-2007 11:18 PM

Re: Report: Parcells Considering Offer to Become Falcons' President

Well this is consistent with his passion for turning around awful teams. I think he could be very succesful in this role. He'll have a chance to draft a high-impact qb right off the bat. Because this team is in such a transitional phase - with a lot of expensive vets likely to get axed sooner than later - he'll have an opportunity to mold the team in his own image.

And definitely no on McKay.

Dirtbag59 12-18-2007 11:28 PM

Re: Report: Parcells Considering Offer to Become Falcons' VP

I think that Gibbs is no longer an offensive genius, or at least not in todays game. However one thing Gibbs has always been is an evaluator of talent. Personally I love the players hes brought in, even Mark Brunell who eventually went on to lead the Skins to the playoffs and lets not forget Cooley, Moss, Washington, Griffin, Montgomery, Taylor, Landry, Kendall, Heyer, Ryan Clark, Rocky McIntosh, London Fletcher, Jason Campbell. Personally I love the idea of Gibbs eventually settling on a GM job. And now with a full clip of draft picks I think that the level of talent on the team is only going to get deeper. So to answer your original question no on McKay.

GridIron26 12-19-2007 12:03 AM

[quote=Dirtbag359;394871]I think that Gibbs is no longer an offensive genius, or at least not in todays game. However one thing Gibbs has always been is an evaluator of talent. Personally I love the players hes brought in, even Mark Brunell who eventually went on to lead the Skins to the playoffs and lets not forget Cooley, Moss, Washington, Griffin, Montgomery, Taylor, Landry, Kendall, Heyer, Ryan Clark, Rocky McIntosh, London Fletcher, Jason Campbell. Personally I love the idea of Gibbs eventually settling on a GM job. And now with a full clip of draft picks I think that the level of talent on the team is only going to get deeper. So to answer your original question no on McKay.[/quote]

That is exactly my thought..

Beemnseven 12-19-2007 12:09 AM

Wow. Parcells just can't stay away, can't he?

As long as Gibbs is head coach/Team President, he will never hire someone or suggest that someone else be hired to give him marching orders.

So it will never happen.

Still, in an ideal world, I'd go back to the formula that worked the first time -- have Joe Gibbs as the football coach, and have someone else bring him the personnel.

70Chip 12-19-2007 12:23 AM

Gibbs used to babysit Richie McKay. I think he would recommend him for any job in the league except one with The Redskins. Not happening.

dmek25 12-19-2007 06:45 AM

no. i cant make it more simple. what has Atlanta done that would warrant me want McKay here? give their star qback a ton of money, without doing their homework. that team is falling apart, and is a long way away from being anything close to competitive

freddyg12 12-19-2007 11:16 AM

espn.com has updated this story - looks like the tuna is all but there.

The only way this has ramifications for the skins is if Gibbs decides to leave after the season & the danny hits the market for a coach. I don't see that happening.

freddyg12 12-19-2007 11:17 AM

should also throw out the possibility that the Tuna asks the Danny's permission to talk to GW.

MTK 12-19-2007 11:19 AM

I like that the Falcons are looking to rebuild from the top down. Parcells might not have the touch anymore when it comes to coaching, but the guy has always brought in talent wherever he's been.

over the mountain 12-19-2007 11:27 AM

i really like parcells as a coach, football mind and analyst. atlanta is a good fit for him in terms of how much they need to re-build and i wish parcells the best of luck.

i also like the idea of coach joe staying another year as coach or becoming a full-time GM/VP of the skins. but in all honesty i think when coach joe decides to stop coaching i think he is done with football all together and will go back to racing.

go skins!

SmootSmack 12-19-2007 03:21 PM

Re: UPDATE: Parcells Reconsidering Falcons Offer, Interested in Dolphins Now

Ok, so now he's reconsidering. Because the Dolphins have come back with a new and better offer than they originally had given him recently.

Interesting since the Fins are rumored to be up for sale any day now.

GhettoDogAllStars 12-19-2007 03:42 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;394984]I like that the Falcons are looking to rebuild from the top down. Parcells might not have the touch anymore when it comes to coaching, but the guy has always brought in talent wherever he's been.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Parcells acquired a lot of good young talent for the Cowboys. I would go so far as to say that they wouldn't be where they are now without Parcells building their roster.

redsk1 12-19-2007 03:59 PM

Wonder if he is mulling over coaching again? W/ the Dolphins? It wouldn't be a total suprise.

He's one of the best evaluators of talent there is around i've got to think. He leaves every team he's been w/ in good shape talent wise. Dallas is stocked unfortunately w/ young, talented, and inexpensive players for the next few years. I'd guess that BP could become a great GM.

Paintrain 12-19-2007 04:40 PM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;395075]Ok, so now he's reconsidering. Because the Dolphins have come back with a new and better offer than they originally had given him recently.

Interesting since the Fins are rumored to be up for sale any day now.[/QUOTE]

Pretty typical Parcells.. He's quit on or backed out of agreements with the Giants, Bucs, Jets, Pats, Cowboys and now Falcons..