Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Was Campbell really ready? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=21601)

prinzeofmoval 12-25-2007 03:39 PM

Was Campbell really ready?

Okay everybody wants to know the difference between the first few weeks of the season and now. Yes we our red hot but there is a reason.It could be because we're healthy now..heck our offensive line looked like an episode of survivor and the recievers was so banged up we went as far as signing Keenan"wheres my cane"Mccardell and Reche"butterfingers"Caldwell.(which both have been playing good ball as of late).But the reason why is because of leadership.Jason Campbell is a good YOUNG quarterback.After looking at what Todd Collins has done the last 2 1/2 games it goes to show experience and leadership can and will win out.Campbell is a great player dont get me wrong and he will be the star of the franchise at one point but maybe we rushed off to start him because of the disappointing Mark Brunell.Does jason give us a better chance to win then Mark yes.But its clear that Jason wasnt ready to make the full transition since he did cost us a couple of games with untimely turnovers or lack to control a game i.e. the bucs,cowboys,giants,philly and the packers. Seriously each of those games we lost by less then a touchdown.Look as a powerhouse team who each year is a legitimate contender to win it all with the personal and payroll we have we dont have the luxury to burn a season to let a new qb get his sea legs.We expect to win and win now.Collins play as of late showed the cracks we had in offense and that it was a fixable situation.I'm not hopping on the Collins bandwagon and deserting Campbell cause that will be our guy of the future. Also we our healthier now and have a reason to play with the untimely death of saen "Meast" Taylor but heres a couple of points why Collins is the better man.

1)Collins has always been Al Saunders guy.Nobody understands Saunders playbook better because Collins played(not really) for a Kansas City team that Saunders coached so many years.Saunders wanted to start Collins since 05 but was overruled by Gibbs in favor of Brunell.

2)Collins hasnt really played since the late 90's.his only job was to learn the playbook.Image studying for your final exam for ten years....how good would you do?

3)Time without playing helped him also.He never played cause Trent Green never got hurt in kansas city.So know you have a 30 something year old man with the body and health of a 21 year old rookie.Check out his scrambling skills vs minnesota.

So could we have won the last 3 games with Campbell maybe.But with the season we've had we needed a strong shoulder to lean on.So the wisdom and strength of Gibbs,Fletcher and Collins is the reason why we could very well go deep in the playoffs

wilsowilso 12-25-2007 03:50 PM

Re: Was Campbell really ready?

I fully expect Campbell to look at the situation and say to himself what can I learn from Todd Collins? It's very important to see the ways Collins is maximizing his strengths in the Saunders system and now that Campbell has a good amount of experience to look back upon and break down going forward he can really continue to grow even if he is just watching for the rest of the year.

And yes Campbell was as ready as he needed to be. They had to streamline the playbook, but he is a young qb and you would never have the luxury of giving him three or four years to completely learn that crazy playbook while sitting on the bench.

prinzeofmoval 12-25-2007 04:05 PM

yeah i understand that.First im not apart of the lets hop on the Collins and desert Campbell bandwagon.But if Collins was the one to satrt ahead of Brunell and had more success would Campbell even be playing at this point.Nobody knows a Qb better then his O.C. and it was clear Saunders pick from the beginnig was Collins.Now if Collins takes the team deep into the playoffs if not the super bowl(i might be reaching here)Then what should happen next season?Cuase if they start Campbell next year after a good playoff run this year after a couple of bad games or starts he could lose the confidence of his team..i.e. rex grossman

dmek25 12-25-2007 04:09 PM

i really like Campbell as the starter. with that being said, maybe sometimes he is alittle too quick to take the check down. Collins seems more at ease looking down field. and taking some chances

SFREDSKIN 12-25-2007 04:14 PM

Look at how the 1972 Dolphins (17-0) handled it.

No one expected what the young team accomplished in 1972. A promising campaign seemingly was lost when starting quarterback Bob Griese went down with a broken leg during just the fifth game of the season. However, the Dolphins rallied behind journeyman Earl Morrall and posted an unprecedented 17-0 record, culminated by a 14-7 victory, Griese's first full game back, over the Washington Redskins in Super Bowl VII.

prinzeofmoval 12-25-2007 04:22 PM

yeah he is quick to go for the check down.That makes us predictable and easy to stack the box up..

rypper11 12-25-2007 06:24 PM

I think JC will always have a little Favre in him and that's good and bad. He will always throw picks but hopefully with some more coaching they won't be in the 4th quarter. And I think the check downs are the way that coaches are trying to tame the "riverboat gambler" in him. People complain about the coaches not "letting the handcuffs" off JC, but maybe that is exactly what he needs. He will be in Pro Bowls within the next 3 years, but Collins is the answer for the playoffs.
BTW, I hope Collins comes back next year but not Brunell. Maybe Joey Harrington as a #3? Or Bramlet?

Redskin Warrior 12-25-2007 07:55 PM

To be completely honest I can't point out a single week were the o-line was blocking for Campbell like they are for Collins. Don't quote me on this but I believe Collins hasn't been sacked the last two games. Hell, I don't think he was sacked in the Bears game after Campbell went out. Receivers are healthy o-line is blocking great I love Collins but I can't say Campbell couldn't do this either.

That Guy 12-25-2007 08:05 PM

campbell is still learning. once collins got in, saunders started calling all kinds of deep plays for some reason... seeing as how that's campbell's strength, it seems odd they didn't give him more of the playbook to work with.

we're really not any healthier now, except for portis and moss (and heyer has gotten better).

That Guy 12-25-2007 08:06 PM

[quote=rypper11;397343]I think JC will always have a little Favre in him and that's good and bad. He will always throw picks but hopefully with some more coaching they won't be in the 4th quarter. And I think the check downs are the way that coaches are trying to tame the "riverboat gambler" in him. People complain about the coaches not "letting the handcuffs" off JC, but maybe that is exactly what he needs. He will be in Pro Bowls within the next 3 years, but Collins is the answer for the playoffs.
BTW, I hope Collins comes back next year but not Brunell. Maybe Joey Harrington as a #3? Or Bramlet?[/quote]

I NEVER want to be the team with joey on my roster. he tends to breed suck like no one else.

memphisskin 12-25-2007 10:09 PM

I think our expectations of JC are waayyy out of wack. Compare him to Jay Cutler, I'll take Campbell even though Madden and everyone else seems to fawn over Cutler. Romo developed in the old school way, sitting behind a veteran for four years and then getting a chance to start. So he's seen more and has a better handle of what it takes to be successful at qb. Jason will be fine, especially once he sees how Collins is handling the offense. I think it'll do wonders for his development, his confidence and his ability to handle the questions.

But to answer the question of this post, he was as ready as he would be. In most of our losses Jason Campbell was not the issue. He's been a problem in a couple of games, but for the most part his play has been a positive.

bertoskins2 12-26-2007 07:25 AM

[quote=prinzeofmoval;397305]Okay everybody wants to know the difference between the first few weeks of the season and now. Yes we our red hot but there is a reason.It could be because we're healthy now..heck our offensive line looked like an episode of survivor and the recievers was so banged up we went as far as signing Keenan"wheres my cane"Mccardell and Reche"butterfingers"Caldwell.(which both have been playing good ball as of late).But the reason why is because of leadership.Jason Campbell is a good YOUNG quarterback.After looking at what Todd Collins has done the last 2 1/2 games it goes to show experience and leadership can and will win out.Campbell is a great player dont get me wrong and he will be the star of the franchise at one point but maybe we rushed off to start him because of the disappointing Mark Brunell.Does jason give us a better chance to win then Mark yes.But its clear that Jason wasnt ready to make the full transition since he did cost us a couple of games with untimely turnovers or lack to control a game i.e. the bucs,cowboys,giants,philly and the packers. Seriously each of those games we lost by less then a touchdown.Look as a powerhouse team who each year is a legitimate contender to win it all with the personal and payroll we have we dont have the luxury to burn a season to let a new qb get his sea legs.We expect to win and win now.Collins play as of late showed the cracks we had in offense and that it was a fixable situation.I'm not hopping on the Collins bandwagon and deserting Campbell cause that will be our guy of the future. Also we our healthier now and have a reason to play with the untimely death of saen "Meast" Taylor but heres a couple of points why Collins is the better man.

1)Collins has always been Al Saunders guy.Nobody understands Saunders playbook better because Collins played(not really) for a Kansas City team that Saunders coached so many years.Saunders wanted to start Collins since 05 but was overruled by Gibbs in favor of Brunell.

2)Collins hasnt really played since the late 90's.his only job was to learn the playbook.Image studying for your final exam for ten years....how good would you do?

3)Time without playing helped him also.He never played cause Trent Green never got hurt in kansas city.So know you have a 30 something year old man with the body and health of a 21 year old rookie.Check out his scrambling skills vs minnesota.

So could we have won the last 3 games with Campbell maybe.But with the season we've had we needed a strong shoulder to lean on.So the wisdom and strength of Gibbs,Fletcher and Collins is the reason why we could very well go deep in the playoffs[/quote]

well said
TC - now
JC - needs to learn more

freddyg12 12-26-2007 08:25 AM

Collins is playing well obviously, but he might be getting a bit too much credit for the team's success. Look at all of the deep throws to Moss, they weren't great passes as much as great catches by Moss. And as someone mentioned earlier, the O line has been giving him time. I think the latter is actually simply due to them keeping the backs in to block. They left JC alone back there a lot.

12thMan 12-26-2007 09:19 AM

[quote=memphisskin;397394]I think our expectations of JC are waayyy out of wack. Compare him to Jay Cutler, I'll take Campbell even though Madden and everyone else seems to fawn over Cutler. Romo developed in the old school way, sitting behind a veteran for four years and then getting a chance to start. So he's seen more and has a better handle of what it takes to be successful at qb. Jason will be fine, especially once he sees how Collins is handling the offense. I think it'll do wonders for his development, his confidence and his ability to handle the questions.

But to answer the question of this post, he was as ready as he would be. In most of our losses Jason Campbell was not the issue. He's been a problem in a couple of games, but for the most part his play has been a positive.[/quote]

I think you're right about JC v. Cutler. Cutler was just horrible on Monday night. And even the games when Jason wasn't doing all that great, he still gave us a chance to win the game down the line. I'll take Jason over all the QBs drafted in his class. I'll go a step further, I'll even take him over Eli Manning.

But to be clear, Jason is never going to be the type of quarterback that Todd Collins is right now. Meaning that, the things that Todd does best, Jason will pick up on and add to his skill set, but he probably won't do them as well as Todd Collins. I do think in time, a very short period of time, he'll improve on his deficiencies.

scafuri27 12-26-2007 09:20 AM

[QUOTE=freddyg12;397428]Collins is playing well obviously, but he might be getting a bit too much credit for the team's success. Look at all of the deep throws to Moss, they weren't great passes as much as great catches by Moss. And as someone mentioned earlier, the O line has been giving him time. I think the latter is actually simply due to them keeping the backs in to block. They left JC alone back there a lot.[/QUOTE]

JC could have went 8-25 against the Giants Im sure. I like Campbell this year..besides a few late game interceptions he was becoming more solid as the year progressed. What hurt him was the fact that in games that we had a lead at the half we came out conservative in the 2nd half of games which doesnt make playing with a rythym easy bc we were running the ball 3 times and out quite a bit. Collins has had more freedom to air it out than JC...Collins knowledge of the system definately helps..

Its a very tough decision on who to play If Campbell gets back to 100%..glad i dont have to make the call!

You gotta belive in Gibbs down the stretch this year.. When he went for it 4th and inches on the goaline and we got stuffed in the 1st qtr last sun...I was still fired up because they showed him before the 4th down play and u can see the intensity as he screamed "go for it!!"..