Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Patrick Crayton signs extension (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=21634)

Bill B 12-28-2007 09:43 AM

Patrick Crayton signs extension

I know I have seen some posts that hoped the Redskins went after Patrick Crayton of the Cowboys because he was going to be a free agent this offseason - he just signed a 4 year extension so take his name off the list.

Apprently he grew up in Dallas and didn't want to move his family and his agent said he would have gotten much more money if he went on the open market....

[url=http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/12/27/cowboys.crayton.ap/index.html]SI.com - NFL - Agent: Crayton, Cowboys agree to $14M contract - Thursday December 27, 2007 11:18PM[/url]

dmek25 12-28-2007 10:05 AM

Re: Patrick Crayton signs extension

if i were a cowboy, i would be leary of signing any long term deals with the cowboys. just ask the triplets

Schneed10 12-28-2007 10:29 AM

Smart move by Dallas. He's a solid route runner, and gives the occasional big play. They got him for a very affordable price.

He's a good #3 receiver. He can be a solid #2 when playing opposite a star #1 WR like Owens and a real good TE in the middle like Witten. Smart signing.

Bastards! I hate when they make wise moves!

Bill B 12-28-2007 11:02 AM

[quote=Schneed10;398106]Smart move by Dallas. He's a solid route runner, and gives the occasional big play. They got him for a very affordable price.

He's a good #3 receiver. He can be a solid #2 when playing opposite a star #1 WR like Owens and a real good TE in the middle like Witten. Smart signing.

Bastards! I hate when they make wise moves![/quote]

Yeah - I was surprised that Crayton signed for that amount - I guess staying in Dallas really outweighed getting the big contract. I think we got this benefit with Ladell Betts when he resigned for a lot lower than he would have gotten on the open market.

scafuri27 12-28-2007 11:04 AM

hes on the smaller side..he wont produce over the 4 yrs he showed signs of wear and tear this yr..

freddyg12 12-28-2007 11:08 AM

good to see this, I like to see players stick w/their original team, even if it's the pokes.

I also hate to see players go to rival teams, so I wouldn't have liked Crayton coming to dc. PLus, he's dallas born so it was meant to be.

Bill B 12-28-2007 11:13 AM

[quote=scafuri27;398136]hes on the smaller side..he wont produce over the 4 yrs he showed signs of wear and tear this yr..[/quote]

I hope you are right!

Bill B 12-28-2007 11:16 AM

[quote=freddyg12;398139]good to see this, I like to see players stick w/their original team, even if it's the pokes.

I also hate to see players go to rival teams, so I wouldn't have liked Crayton coming to dc. PLus, he's dallas born so it was meant to be.[/quote]

Freddyg - unfortunately I think this is an abberation and most players are swayed by the almighty dollar (an agents who get paid more by swaying their clients to sign the biggest deal they can get). I will say though that I think winning organizations get a little more wiggle room compared to losing teams as players often don't want to be part of long rebuilding projects.

sandtrapjack 12-28-2007 12:08 PM

[quote=scafuri27;398136]hes on the smaller side..he wont produce over the 4 yrs he showed signs of wear and tear this yr..[/quote]

How so? What wear and tear this year?

He only missed one game this season to a sprained ankle and still has more than TWICE the number of receiving TD's of Santana Moss and ARE combined. Not to shabby for a guy who is #3 on the depth chart and a 7th round draft pick.

freddyg12 12-28-2007 12:21 PM

[quote=Bill B;398146]Freddyg - unfortunately I think this is an abberation and most players are swayed by the almighty dollar (an agents who get paid more by swaying their clients to sign the biggest deal they can get). I will say though that I think winning organizations get a little more wiggle room compared to losing teams as players often don't want to be part of long rebuilding projects.[/quote]

true, I realize that players will go where the $ is, but in addition to being on winning teams, I think a no. of them are learning that the grass is not always greener on the other side, e.g. Smoot. In recent years, teams are better at re-signing their players & I think players are realizing that going to another team for more $ doesn't guarantee success & happiness.

jamf 12-28-2007 12:21 PM

[QUOTE=scafuri27;398136]hes on the smaller side..he wont produce over the 4 yrs he showed signs of wear and tear this yr..[/QUOTE]

He's alot bigger than Santana, Steve smith, Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt and is about the same size as chad johnson. I don't think his size is a problem.

That Guy 12-28-2007 04:14 PM

a lot for a #3, but its a good move and he's good injury insurance.

bedlamVR 12-28-2007 08:03 PM

i think it is a real cheap deal IF he develops into a real no2/3 in these days of crazy cap numbers