Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do the Pats go down as perfect if they lose in the playoffs? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=21675)

jsarno 12-30-2007 06:43 PM

Do the Pats go down as perfect if they lose in the playoffs?

OK...seeing as my brother is a Pats fan, we discussed the possibility of the Pats losing in the playoffs, and if so, that will make the entire season more of a joke than anything. Look at Seattle Mariners when they had that magical season a few years back and no one ever talks about them as being one of the best.
So where would these Patriots fall in history if they fail to win it all?

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 12-30-2007 06:51 PM

Re: Do the Pats go down as perfect if they lose in the playoffs?

They go down as perfect with an aserterix in the regular season for cheating. They go down as imperfect for losing in the course of the ENTIRE season.

MTK 12-30-2007 06:54 PM

Can't be perfect with a loss.

Daseal 12-30-2007 07:01 PM

I think if anything if they win one more game they are even with the Dolphins that went 17-0.

skinsguy 12-30-2007 07:06 PM

Nope. Gotta win it all.

jsarno 12-30-2007 07:25 PM

[QUOTE=skinsguy;399093]Nope. Gotta win it all.[/QUOTE]

That's the way I see it. Either win it all, or be the only undefeated team to not win the super bowl.

BleedBurgundy 12-30-2007 07:43 PM

I don't think you get credit for being undefeated... if you've been defeated. That said, I still think they've already accomplished more than the '72 Dolphins. To do this in the era of free agency is amazing.

Darrell_Green_28 12-30-2007 07:46 PM

no they havent accomplished more.. they havent wont the superbowl to go undefeated for the whole season as well as playoff.. thats what they must do ..like i said i would love to see the Skins beat them in the SB... NOTHING would be better than that.

dmek25 12-30-2007 08:06 PM

if they don't win it all, they will go down as one of the biggest chokers of all time

Gmanc711 12-30-2007 08:08 PM

It's all or nothing for them....If they win it all, they go down as the absolute best ever (and rightfully so)...if they lose, they will be an afterthought.

rypper11 12-30-2007 08:17 PM

[quote=Daseal;399078]I think if anything if they win one more game they are even with the Dolphins that went 17-0.[/quote]
No way. Need to win the SB to be even w/ Dolphins as perfect. 17-1 is worse than 17-0. Part of being the greatest is beating 3 great teams in a row. If they beat Jags, Colts and then Skins (wishful I know) then they are even with 72 dolphins. If we beat the Pats like we couldn't do in 72, then Dolphins are still best.

SouperMeister 12-30-2007 10:40 PM

16-0 is meaningless if you don't finish the deal. The Pats have looked much more vulnerable the 2nd half of the season than they did early.

My dream is that we somehow get to the Super Bowl, and we run up the score on the Pats they way Belicheat did on us back in October. Hey, I can dream can't I???

saden1 12-30-2007 10:47 PM

Alex Trebek: The only NFL team to with a perfect season that didn't win the Super Bowl.
Contestent: What is New England Patriots?

If you can't win the big game you season is pretty meaningless if you ask me. Hope the Pats get ambushed in the payoffs.

SFREDSKIN 12-30-2007 10:49 PM

I'm dreaming right now, but how great would it be us making it to the SB against the Patriots. 2 3X SB champ coaches going against each other with the exception that Joe will be out to redeem himself for being embarrassed against them. Out of the 4 undefeated teams of all time Bears 2X, Dolphins and now the Pats, the skins have been involved in 2 out of those 3 games with #4 to be determined. We beat the undefeated Bears in the championship game in 1943-44? Lost to the Dolphins in 72, could we be in this year? Makes you think, doesn't it.

EternalEnigma21 12-30-2007 10:52 PM

I think the Pats now have a serious target on their back. If they DO win out and win a SB, I will concede they are the best team all time... not that it matters a rat turd what I think...

I think they will lose in the playoffs. There are a couple of teams that can pressure them that don't get flustered by their pressure schemes and will expose their over the hill linebacking corps.