Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Four Years Later: Are We Better Off? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=21858)

Paintrain 01-07-2008 02:03 PM

Re: Four Years Later: Are We Better Off?

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;403628]I think down the stretch with Collins we saw a much more aggressive approach.
It's amazing how different things are with an experienced QB. We still have some work to do to get JC to that point where the coaches aren't afraid to hand the game over to him, and most importantly, he needs to start throwing TDs in big spots and not INTs.[/QUOTE]

I agree, with Collins having 10+ years in the system we saw a different gameplan.. You were among the corp group saying the playcalling wasn't conservative or a problem in the late game losses, will you now agree that the playcalling WAS more conservative since we've seen a difference?

I think (as his teammates also indicated) Campbell can handle more than was given him, as shown by his production the times they opened the gameplan up & went with more no huddle and downfield passing game. Yes, he threw more INT during that stretch than we'd want, but that's going to happen with a young QB still feeling his way. I think his growth was stunted by not allowing him to have the whole playbook from game 1. I'd rather have seen those bad plays in September when he had a chance to learn and improve later in the season than taking the handcuffs off in November when it was almost a desperate move.

I hope '08 sees us picking up offensively where Collins left off (with JC at the controls of course), not where they had Campbell tip toeing thru the gameplan.

To my comments about 'luck' I probably should have said we benefitted from fortunate circumstances each time, not neccesarily random luck.

BigSKINBauer 01-07-2008 03:31 PM

most importantly i think it is the sense of consistency that will pull us next year. I love all the players we have and when healthy we will be great. Our O-line was depleted the last couple years. Lets hope for an low injury season next year and we are real contenders in my opinion. Campbell is going to get better and better. Collins has the brain and campbell has the physical ability. Just put his brain in campbell and we are good to go. Hopefully collins teaches him everything he knows. I am really happy at where we are at.

Hopefully the reports by JLC of williams interviewing for miami won't lead to anything. Williams wouldn't leave this defense now. He loves it here but maybe parcells gained respect for williams after playing against him for those few years

[url=http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/]Redskins Insider[/url]

That Guy 01-07-2008 09:28 PM

better. old guys are older, but the young depth is MUCH MUCH better... and campbell is in, giving us hope that he can become a franchise type.

GTripp0012 01-07-2008 09:43 PM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;403534]You mean big-names like Brady, Randy Moss, Richard Seymour, Teddy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Roosevelt Colvin, Adalius Thomas, Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, and Asante Samuel? Many of those guys were free agents BTW.

As for our record, it was 5-11 in 2003 and 9-7 this year. Almost doubling your wins is pretty decent IMO, but maybe that is just me.[/quote]Only Moss, Colvin, and Thomas I think.

I think we got a lot of significant pieces between January 2004 and September 2004, something I did not consider when I first voted. Though this team was 6-10 in 2004, it just simply lacked the balance of a great offense. Since day one, Gibbs and Williams made the defense a priority and have enjoyed a level of sustained success that we never could before.

Due to this misunderstanding of dates, I'd like to strip my own republic, and recast my vote for being better. We may not be much better on the whole than in 2004, but the quality of loss in 2004 was just so much higher than in 2003, especially late in the year.

Had Brunell been healthy that year, thats likely a playoff team.

backrow 01-07-2008 10:47 PM

For those undecided out there, our poll says it all. At this moment, 10:45 p.m. on Monday night, our poll says 73% for Joe Redskins better off.

And that's the way I voted.

Two (2) PO teams in four (4) years says it all, since we had little to brag about during the two previous coaches tenures.

DynamiteRave 01-07-2008 10:51 PM

[quote=backrow;404002]For those undecided out there, our poll says it all. At this moment, 10:45 p.m. on Monday night, our poll says 73% for Joe Redskins better off.

And that's the way I voted.

Two (2) PO teams in four (4) years says it all, since we had little to brag about during the two previous coaches tenures.[/quote]

Looks like Irish is his own team. I'm actually surprised out of the 100+ active people on this site that not 1 person actually feels the way he does.

SmootSmack 01-07-2008 10:52 PM

[QUOTE=DynamiteRave;404006]Looks like Irish is his own team. I'm actually surprised out of the 100+ active people on this site that not 1 person actually feels the way he does.[/QUOTE]

I was certain he would feel that way. But you know what they say, even a blind squirrel...

Seriously though, I thought there'd be at least one person who voted that way

GMScud 01-07-2008 11:07 PM

I voted for the Commonweath, but I wouldn't say "look at our roster" as my first argument for the fact that we're better off. I would say overall team stability, quality of coaching, and chemistry are three things that were severely lacking prior to Gibbs' return. We're a talented, well-coached, together group with a lot of promise over the next few years. And the best part is, we're more loaded with picks in this year's draft than any year in Gibbs 2.0. Think of the mess that Spurrier left!! No doubt we're better off.

Gmanc711 01-07-2008 11:31 PM

[QUOTE=That Guy;403969]better. old guys are older, but the young depth is MUCH MUCH better... and campbell is in, giving us hope that he can become a franchise type.[/QUOTE]

Thats a really good point....I mean were a little better off than we were when Gibbs first got here in the grand scheme of things, but you can see our depth starting to shine through in a lot of areas. Were still a little ways off especially with depth on the offensive line, but the defense is getting younger and better. Were mixing in guys in the offense, but I think we need to do a better job getting guys for the long term....I mean realistically our entire 2007 starting oline could be done within two years.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 01-07-2008 11:41 PM

[QUOTE=GTripp0012;403977]Only Moss, Colvin, and Thomas I think.[/QUOTE]

Mike Vrabel was as well. Additionally, the Pats acquired Donte Stallworth(Philly's former #1 wideout) and Rodney Harrison in free agency and Wes Welker via trade. They've got a nice "base" of draftees, but with big-name FA like Randy Moss, Donte Stallworth, Wes Welker, Roosevelt Colvin, Adalius Thomas, Mike Vrabel, and Rodney Harrison it is kind of hard to argue with a straight face that the Pats is built solely through the draft. In fact, about half that team's starting lineup consists of free agent acquisitions.

SmootSmack 01-08-2008 12:36 AM

[QUOTE=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;404030]Mike Vrabel was as well. Additionally, the Pats acquired Donte Stallworth(Philly's former #1 wideout) and Rodney Harrison in free agency and Wes Welker via trade. They've got a nice "base" of draftees, but with big-name FA like Randy Moss, Donte Stallworth, Wes Welker, Roosevelt Colvin, Adalius Thomas, Mike Vrabel, and Rodney Harrison it is kind of hard to argue with a straight face that the Pats is built solely through the draft. In fact, about half that team's starting lineup consists of free agent acquisitions.[/QUOTE]

and trades. Moss and Welker were both trades right?

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 01-08-2008 12:43 PM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;404061]and trades. Moss and Welker were both trades right?[/QUOTE]

Yup. Thanks for the clarification.

redskinsfanatic 01-08-2008 12:46 PM

in between the gibbs era-1 playoff season-4- head coaches
since gibbs came back-2 playoff seasons.translation-gibbs knew what he was doing,the others were just full of shit!!!!i'd take gibbs on his worst day ever than any of the other coaches combined on their best days ever.