Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Top priority for the 2008 draft (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=21874)

MTK 01-07-2008 04:15 PM

Top priority for the 2008 draft

What should be the Redskins top priority for the 2008 draft?

SUNRA 01-07-2008 04:21 PM

Re: Top priority for the 2008 draft

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;403796]What should be the Redskins top priority for the 2008 draft?[/QUOTE

Second would be the CB position and third signing Anthony Mix immediately to a longer contract. Mix had one of the best performances on special teams against Chicago stopping Devin Hester. He has proven he can play special teams now lets see this 6"4 plus WR work with Jason in the offseason.

SFREDSKIN 01-07-2008 04:23 PM

[QUOTE=SUNRA;403801][QUOTE=Mattyk72;403796]What should be the Redskins top priority for the 2008 draft?[/QUOTE

Second would be the CB position and third signing Anthony Mix immediately to a longer contract. Mix had one of the best performances on special teams against Chicago stopping Devin Hester. He has proven he can play special teams now lets see this 6"4 plus WR work with Jason in the offseason.[/QUOTE]

He's signed till 2009, happened yesterday. Read JLC blog.

Redskins_P 01-07-2008 04:24 PM

I think we need a pass rusher to help Carter on the other side. I'm not that familiar with the DE's coming out this year, but I'm sure with the 21st pick we can get an above average player. Philip Daniels is average at best when it comes to the pass rush. We should keep him, but only for stopping the run.

SFREDSKIN 01-07-2008 04:25 PM

Our primary need is a bull rushing DE.

Southpaw 01-07-2008 04:25 PM

I guess Defensive line should be top priority, but offensive line should be a close second. Middle to late round depth for the O line should be sufficient. A big, sure-handed wide receiver should also be a top priority, but I actually think they should grab an established guy from another team to fill that need.

And it may not hurt to grab a young running back, late in the draft. They certainly don't need a starter for next season, but Portis is taking a beating, and both he and Betts are getting older by RB standards.

mheisig 01-07-2008 04:29 PM

Offensive line then defensive line. Everything else is secondary (or tertiary at that point, I suppose.)

SmootSmack 01-07-2008 04:32 PM

Our top priority should be building some young depth for our interior offensive line. But an OG should not be our first overall pick, there is no player coming out that I can think of that is worth drafting so high.

With the first pick take either a DB or a DE, depending on what you do in free agency

On a side note, I sometimes wonder if Bugel's ability to make NFL linemen out of virtual nobodies is in a way a curse because we don't put as much as focus in scouting and selecting this position.

SmootSmack 01-07-2008 04:34 PM

[QUOTE=Southpaw;403810]I guess Defensive line should be top priority, but offensive line should be a close second. Middle to late round depth for the O line should be sufficient. A big, sure-handed wide receiver should also be a top priority, but I actually think they should grab an established guy from another team to fill that need.

And it may not hurt to grab a young running back, late in the draft. They certainly don't need a starter for next season, but Portis is taking a beating, and both he and Betts are getting older by RB standards.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget about Marcus Mason though

SFREDSKIN 01-07-2008 04:35 PM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;403816]On a side note, I sometimes wonder if Bugel's ability to make NFL linemen out of virtual nobodies is in a way a curse because we don't put as much as focus in scouting and selecting this position.[/QUOTE]

Perfect examples are Heyer and Alexander. I can bet that Alexander will be converted to G next year. 2 holes filled right there, draft a couple of O/G/T/C combos in the mid rounds and we are set. I don't think a top pick is critical for this position either.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 01-07-2008 04:47 PM

A pass-rushing defensive end to play opposite Carter or a defensive back should be our first and second picks, with the order decided by who is available at [B]#21[/B]. We should use two of our later picks on O-linemen and another on a QB to develop.

BrunellMVP? 01-07-2008 04:54 PM

depends on how we define top priority, i guess. if we mean first round, then I'd say DE, if we are talking about overall draft and where we should focus most of our draft picks, I'd say OL. the injures on the Oline were just brutal- I love thomas (and hope he returns to form- and think he can be reliable moving forward), but jasen has broken our hearts too many times...keep him around, pencil him in as the starter, but lets draft a kid with talent just in case.

i also think we should upgrade our conditioning/strength training or whomever is responsible for keeping these guys healthy (ier?)...some injures are freakish, others I feel can be addressed via the regimented training. (note, i have no physical training background - the blame place on our coach is pure speculation)

SUNRA 01-07-2008 04:56 PM

[QUOTE=SFREDSKIN;403806][QUOTE=SUNRA;403801]

He's signed till 2009, happened yesterday. Read JLC blog.[/QUOTE]

Praise the Lord! Our big target has arrived!

heybigstar 01-07-2008 05:06 PM

I really think LB should be considered as a close 2nd -- think about where our LB Corps will be in year or two, someone please respond, I must be missing something here..

Redskins_P 01-07-2008 05:07 PM

[QUOTE=SUNRA;403841][QUOTE=SFREDSKIN;403806]

Praise the Lord! Our big target has arrived![/QUOTE]

Hopefully. He was on the roster for awhile and never played one snap on offense. I wonder why they never gave him a shot? He did make plays on special teams though.

jdlea 01-07-2008 05:07 PM

I think the top priority in the draft needs to be a young pass rushing end. I think that this team would be tremendously upgraded by just adding one more pass rusher to the line. It would really take a lot of pressure off of the corners and not give the quarterbacks a chance to get comfortable back there. I mean, look at what the Giants have done with their line and work from there.

All that said, the best CB or DE available should be taken in the first round. In the second, I would draft the other and then go with O Line and maybe a back late. I like Matt Forte and I think he's probably a 3rd round talent or so. If he falls, I'd love to see him here (but then again, I'm a Tulane guy).

I feel like quality depth can be added through free agency or late in the draft 3-6th round for the O Line. The Skins don't need another starter on the O Line. When healthy, the line is great and if they keep Wade and Heyer along with Fabini, this team actually has decent depth. However, it was decimated by injury. I feel like the depth needs to be younger, but I don't think you can take a guy early on in the draft and just have him as the 3rd or 4th guard/center on the depth chart.

Finally, I feel like a big body, sure handed receiver needs to be a priority for the free agency period. I don't like many of the guys coming out, so I like the free agent route.

Also, how would people feel if this team added another middle of the road TE and started using Cooley the way the Colts use Dallas Clark? Putting him in the slot on occasion. I say, this team could start Cooley at TE and then move him outside while bringing in a good blocking TE to help protect/run routes. I also feel like doing this would allow them to avoid adding a high priced FA.

SFREDSKIN 01-07-2008 05:09 PM

[QUOTE=Redskins_P;403853][QUOTE=SUNRA;403841]

Hopefully. He was on the roster for awhile and never played one snap on offense. I wonder why they never gave him a shot? He did make plays on special teams though.[/QUOTE]

He played pulling guard a few times (Giants and Bears game) and looked good from what I read.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 01-07-2008 05:09 PM

[QUOTE=heybigstar;403851]I really think LB should be considered as a close 2nd -- think about where our LB Corps will be in year or two, someone please respond, I must be missing something here..[/QUOTE]

Rocky should be 100% recovered within 2 years and, hopefully, HB Blades will be a solid starter by then as well. In the meantime, guys like Washington and Fletcher should hold things down. Word is that we're going to target Briggs though.

Redskins_P 01-07-2008 05:10 PM

[QUOTE=SFREDSKIN;403855][QUOTE=Redskins_P;403853]

He played pulling guard a few times (Giants and Bears game) and looked good from what I read.[/QUOTE]

I was referring to Anthony Mix, the WR (#19).

Redskins_P 01-07-2008 05:11 PM

[QUOTE=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;403856]Rocky should be 100% recovered within 2 years and, hopefully, HB Blades will be a solid starter by then as well. In the meantime, guys like Washington and Fletcher should hold things down. Word is that we're going to target Briggs though.[/QUOTE]

If we bring Briggs in, then what happens to Rocky in 09? Would he be replacing MW on the strong side?

jdlea 01-07-2008 05:12 PM

[QUOTE=heybigstar;403851]I really think LB should be considered as a close 2nd -- think about where our LB Corps will be in year or two, someone please respond, I must be missing something here..[/QUOTE]

I can make an argument for this. This group is going to need a new starting outside linebacker next season assuming Rocky misses the season. Also, Marcus Washington's best days are behind him IMO. I don't think he can't play anymore, but I think he may have about 2 or 3 years left of being very good. Also, London was great this year, but I can't guarantee that he can be counted on for more than next season or the year after.

This is an aging group outside of Rock and HB Blades, that does not bode well for us. However, I don't feel like LB should be a priority for this draft, but next year it could be the #1 pick.

Big C 01-07-2008 05:17 PM

top priority should be secondary, thats where i think we should go with our first round pick. talib would hopefully be available then, if not flowers could be a good choice since he declared for the nfl draft, very physical player. second should be o line, i think we should grab atleast 2 o linemen in the draft

Skinsfan1967 01-07-2008 05:36 PM

D line needs a youth infusion, by the time he developes the current players will be ready to leave football. We have some youth on the O line already making progress,

MTK 01-07-2008 05:44 PM

With Rogers coming back from injury and Springs possibly gone, I've gotta say corner right now.

RobH4413 01-07-2008 05:45 PM

I voted D-line.

I like our DT's, we're in good shape there. I think we need a compliment to Andre Carter. Carter has long shown the ability force a QB's to step up into the pocket. Now we need someone to collapse it.

Maybe a bigger DT would do it, but someone needs to get some penetration and so we're not forced to man up in the secondary.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 01-07-2008 05:46 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;403870]With Rogers coming back from injury and Springs possibly gone, I've gotta say corner right now.[/QUOTE]

We certainly need some depth there. Assuming Springs leaves this offseason and we don't re-sign Macklin, Leigh Torrence will be the #2 starting CB and our nickel and dime corners would be ?????

SFREDSKIN 01-07-2008 05:49 PM

[QUOTE=RobH4413;403871]IMaybe a bigger DT would do it, but someone needs to get some penetration and so we're not forced to man up in the secondary.[/QUOTE]

You want a beast run stuffer, Isaac Sopoaga DT 49ers, he'll be available. Too bad we are set at DL otherwise he would be my first choice the guy is an animal. We need a DE more than DL.

MTK 01-07-2008 05:49 PM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;403872]We certainly need some depth there. Assuming Springs leaves this offseason and we don't re-sign Macklin, Leigh Torrence will be the #2 starting CB and our nickel and dime corners would be ?????[/quote]

It won't come to that, whether it's the draft or free agency or both, corner is a position that will need to be addressed.

x44x 01-07-2008 05:53 PM

I vote corner and then def line. Hopefully the O-line stays healthy next year, and the back up now have some exp. It would be nice to snag Brandon Flowers in the 2nd round, if hes available.

Southpaw 01-07-2008 06:30 PM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;403856]Rocky should be 100% recovered within 2 years and, hopefully, HB Blades will be a solid starter by then as well. In the meantime, guys like Washington and Fletcher should hold things down. Word is that we're going to target Briggs though.[/quote]

Joe Gibbs just stated in his season ending presser that Rocky McIntosh should be ready by the season opener next year.

MPNRedskins 01-07-2008 06:33 PM

I think CB should be first, then D-Line.

SmootSmack 01-07-2008 06:36 PM

[QUOTE=Southpaw;403883]Joe Gibbs just stated in his season ending presser that Rocky McIntosh should be ready by the season opener next year.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think some doctors on tv a couple of weeks ago were saying he could potentially be ready by August because his MCL isn't as bad at it originally appeared to be.

SmootSmack 01-07-2008 06:38 PM

[QUOTE=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;403872]We certainly need some depth there. Assuming Springs leaves this offseason and we don't re-sign Macklin, Leigh Torrence will be the #2 starting CB and our nickel and dime corners would be ?????[/QUOTE]

Byron Westbrook?

Seriously though, call me Osama because I'm on the Talibandwagon (woah, that was bad)

But really seriously though, if not Talib I think Antoine Cason is also a good prospect

Darrell_Green_28 01-07-2008 07:38 PM

Is it confirmed that we will be picking at #21? i would say go for Glenn Dorsey from LSU. but i seriously doubt he will be there then..

Dlyne8r 01-07-2008 08:37 PM

O-line, D-line, CB, WR, and LB in that order.

Schneed10 01-07-2008 08:48 PM

It really depends. If Springs leaves, no matter what else happens, CB is our top need. If Springs sticks around, then LB is our top need. But if we satisfy that with Lance Briggs (which I really really hope we do), then WR is our top need.

I still love Phillip Daniels, so whatever on DEs. Dude held up his end of the bargain this year. Hey, he was on the field all year, and we had the #8 defense.

LB is a sneaky need for us. Rocky will be iffy next season. We'll need Briggs, especially if MW is to continue as the down lineman on 3rd downs. Then when Rocky's back in 09, MW's going to be pretty damn old. Fletcher will be, too. Godfrey's going to retire, and Khary Campbell can only handle pass coverage. What the heck are we going to do against the run next season if Rocky's knee ain't right?

ShiftyGC84 01-07-2008 08:53 PM

Definately defensive line

That Guy 01-07-2008 09:07 PM

DE, then OG, then DB or a high upside WR (dj hall?). we're in a good position to grab 2-3 guys that could start either this year or next, and the team's talent base is much better now, getting us more flexibility.

DynamiteRave 01-07-2008 09:40 PM

I was torn between defensive line and WR but picked WR. I almost wish I could take my vote back because when I think about it WR isn't a main priority and I think that either O-line or D-line is. But if we can pick up a good, tall target WR in the later rounds, I'd go for that.

GTripp0012 01-07-2008 09:46 PM

DE and DT are still our top needs. Center is right up there also, as is left guard.

I would look into nabbing a corner, but I would release Springs and try to sign him back to a one year deal, or go after someone like a Brian Kelly, who seems to have fallen out of favor in TB.

And for gods sakes, can we pick up a guy who would ensure Lorenzo Alexander never has to play offense again.