Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   JLC: The HC Horserace (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22277)

MTK 01-30-2008 07:42 PM

JLC: The HC Horserace

[url=http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/]Redskins Insider[/url]

I'm calling this a four-man race at this point. Steve Mariucci is in. Made too much sense all along. I believe he was the covert candidate dating back to the weekend and it seems this thing has picked up considerable steam since we blogged about it Sunday night.

I am hearing from multiple sources that the Redskins will cross paths with Mariucci in Arizona during the Super Bowl. Owner Daniel Snyder and executive vice-president-football operations Vinny Cerrato were set to fly to Arizona today after completing their second interview with Ron Meeks - this time in Indianapolis - and they are expected to formally interview Mariucci this week.

So we've got Jim Fassel, Mariucci, Ron Meeks and, still to be interviewed, Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo (New England assistant Josh McDaniels could be interviewed as well, but I don't see him making this move and I don't see Snyder hiring a 31-year-old coach, either.)

Fassel - Still the leader as we come down the stretch. Despite the public reaction he has impressed Snyder and the Skins came ever-so-close to hiring him last Wednesday. Could not put together his dream staff, but Snyder and Cerrato have certainly followed many of his recommendations. He wants the job, no doubt about that, and has handled being put on hold for 10-12 days like a pro. There would be major questions with his hiring by the fans - judging by the initial flare up - but Snyder never pretended to be a man of the people.

Mariucci - Snyder may not be a PR maven, but he's anything but stupid. Just as the storm Wednesday gave him pause, so, too, I am sure his people have monitored blogs, message boards and talk radio to gauge support for Mariucci since the "Something TO Chew On" post went up. May be an easier sell, though Mariucci brings baggage as well, having been fired from his last job in mid-contract. There is a lot to sort out - issues about personnel, how he would interact with Cerrato, if his wife wants to leave the West Coast, and, as always, money. But no doubt all of this will be explored in depth, and I believe he's making a strong push down the stretch.

Meeks - I see this being more for down the line. He has solely a defensive backround and several NFL execs believe Meeks may not be ready to make the jump. His agent, Gary Wichard, is very tight with Cerrato, which never hurts, and no doubt many would herald the Redskins for hiring a minority as head coach, rightfully so in the nation's capital and a city as diverse as Washington.

Spagnuolo - If the Giants win the Super Bowl, and especially if they shut down the Pats, then he would leap past some other guys in a flash. Strange as that is - basing too much on one game - several sources who have talked to Snyder during this process believe that is very much the case. And, hey, nothing's been normal anyway, so why not? Only been a coordinator for one year, but interviewing him is a no-brainer, as one GM pointed out to me, given his extensive knowledge of NFC East foes Philly and New York. You can gain a lot of info in that regard and it's a smart business/football move. While this thing has had plenty of bizarre moments, Snyder's thirst for knowledge should be heralded if nothing else and this guy could be most beneficial of all in that regard.

Meanwhile, here's a news update:
The St. Louis Rams have hired Al Saunders as offensive coordinator, according to an Associated Press report out of St. Louis. LaCanfora says that it's virutually certain that Saunders' son Bob, a Redskins assistant, will join his father there. QBs coach Bill Lazor, whose responsibilities will be taken over by Zorn, could end up in St. Louis as well. ... League sources say RBs coach Earnest Byner had a strong interview Tuesday in Tampa Bay, but the Buccaneers intend to interview one more candidate before making a decision. Byner's contract with the Redskins expires Thursday (Jan. 31) and he is the only coach not under contract for 2008. He is mulling a one-year offer from the Redskins.

djnemo65 01-30-2008 07:49 PM

Re: JLC: The HC Horserace

I'm calling Mooch. If anything he has a stronger pedigree than Fassel, plus the fans for whatever insane reason seem fine with him, whereas they vehemently oppose Fassel. Why? I don't know, but that's the case. I don't understand why all the ill-will and exasperation caused by the Williams situation goes away with Mariuchi but is magnified with Fassel, but hey, I don't understand a lot of things about this crazy world.

GMScud 01-30-2008 07:57 PM

I'll say Mooch. I think he'll work well with the coordinators/assistants we have in place, and he knows the NFC well. I'm like 51% Mooch, 49% Fassel right now. It would be interesting to see if everyone would be all for Fassel if he and Mooch switched places. By that I mean, if Mooch had been the "mystery candidate," would the sky still have been falling? Would Fassel have been more accepted as a HC candidate if he quietly emerged as Mariucci has?

MTK 01-30-2008 08:00 PM

I'm on board with Mooch but I will certainly understand it if they go with Fassel. He was close to getting the gig in 2004 and there appears to be a strong relationship there between him and Snyder.

skinsguy 01-30-2008 08:00 PM

My favorite is Mooch, but I'll be behind Fassel if he gets the job. We have a really good coaching staff in place, so if Fassel or Mooch can't have some sort of success then something is very wrong.

DynamiteRave 01-30-2008 08:05 PM

Mooch because honestly he's the fan favorite and I'm a lemming and really don't know anything about these coaches. So I can't really pass judgement.

All I know is Fassel will probably end up with negative votes, seeing as how many people would rather perform hara-kiri than have him coach the team. :doh:

GMScud 01-30-2008 08:15 PM

I'm gonna ask again b/c I'd really like to hear a few opinions on this one:
If Mooch was the "mystery candidate" and Fassel had been the quiet latecomer, would there still have been as much upheaval? Was it the candidate himself that caused the ruckus, or would it have been the same knee jerk, freak out, Synder sucks reaction regardless of the name? I say we would have also cussed the notion of Mooch if he had been Mr. ?.

SmootSmack 01-30-2008 08:22 PM

[QUOTE=djnemo65;415520]I'm calling Mooch. If anything he has a stronger pedigree than Fassel, plus the fans for whatever insane reason seem fine with him, whereas they vehemently oppose Fassel. Why? I don't know, but that's the case. I don't understand why all the ill-will and exasperation caused by the Williams situation goes away with Mariuchi but is magnified with Fassel, but hey, I don't understand a lot of things about this crazy world.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't have put it any better myself

RedZone 01-30-2008 08:23 PM

Steve Mariucci: It's not likely the Skins will get a defensive minded head coach.

Jim Fassel has been idle a lot. If he's such a good prospect why isn't he in the game, or getting more interest?

djnemo65 01-30-2008 08:24 PM

[QUOTE=GMScud;415540]I'm gonna ask again b/c I'd really like to hear a few opinions on this one:
If Mooch was the "mystery candidate" and Fassel had been the quiet latecomer, would there still have been as much upheaval? Was it the candidate himself that caused the ruckus, or would it have been the same knee jerk, freak out, Synder sucks reaction regardless of the name? I say we would have also cussed the notion of Mooch if he had been Mr. ?.[/QUOTE]

It's an interesting question. I think much of the anger had less to do with Fassel and more to do with the perception that the old Snyder was back, and undoing everything that Gibbs had accomplished. Bitter Spurrier memories kicked in and everyone freaked out.

At the same time, Mariuchi seems to be more acceptable to people for reasons I can't quite seem to understand. The perception is that he's more accomplished (although the difference between the two candidates is nominal at best in that regard).

MTK 01-30-2008 08:26 PM

[quote=GMScud;415540]I'm gonna ask again b/c I'd really like to hear a few opinions on this one:
If Mooch was the "mystery candidate" and Fassel had been the quiet latecomer, would there still have been as much upheaval? Was it the candidate himself that caused the ruckus, or would it have been the same knee jerk, freak out, Synder sucks reaction regardless of the name? I say we would have also cussed the notion of Mooch if he had been Mr. ?.[/quote]

Very good question.

I think Mooch would be the more popular pick regardless because of his more likable personality, but I do think that initially a good portion of the venom towards Fassel was due to the backlash at not hiring GW.

jbcjr14 01-30-2008 08:27 PM

[quote=GMScud;415540]I'm gonna ask again b/c I'd really like to hear a few opinions on this one:
If Mooch was the "mystery candidate" and Fassel had been the quiet latecomer, would there still have been as much upheaval? Was it the candidate himself that caused the ruckus, or would it have been the same knee jerk, freak out, Synder sucks reaction regardless of the name? I say we would have also cussed the notion of Mooch if he had been Mr. ?.[/quote]

Now that is something to ponder and I think carries ALOT of weight.

GMScud 01-30-2008 08:30 PM

[quote=djnemo65;415544]It's an interesting question. I think much of the anger had less to do with Fassel and more to do with the perception that the old Snyder was back, and undoing everything that Gibbs had accomplished. Bitter Spurrier memories kicked in and everyone freaked out.

At the same time, Mariuchi seems to be more acceptable to people for reasons I can't quite seem to understand. The perception is that he's more accomplished (although the difference between the two candidates is nominal at best in that regard).[/quote]

I agree about the Williams point. Everyone was so emotional about GW taking over after Sean's passing and the way the late season surge happened. Couple that with the fact that Fassel got fired from his last job and has been out of coaching for a while (just like Mooch btw), and voila, fan freakout.

mooby 01-30-2008 08:30 PM

Well my vehement reaction to hearing Fassel was going to get the job a couple weeks back was because I don't like him and I don't think he's a good coach. I just don't think he'd be a good coach in Washington and I remember when he was with the Giants I used to laugh at him and talk about what a horrible coach he was, when he was throwing temper tantrums on the sideline I used to think how lucky the Skins were not to have a coach like that. It basically stems because my earlier impressions of him back in the day weren't that good, and then what he did in Baltimore basically solidified that. Either way I've grown adjusted to the idea of having him as our head coach and if he does become our head coach I will wish him luck because I would certainly want him to succeed.

Warpath 01-30-2008 08:32 PM

My vote is still McDaniels. If hes out I guess its the Mooch. As long as its not Fassell.