Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Happy 20th Anniversary Superbowl XXII (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22287)

Warpath 01-31-2008 12:23 PM

Happy 20th Anniversary Superbowl XXII

[IMG]http://dsp.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p3607883p275w.jpg[/IMG]
Jan 31 1988 Skins 42 Broncos 10.
The Skins scored 42 unanswered points after going down 10-0.
Doug Williams became the first player in Super Bowl history to throw 4 touchdowns in a single quarter, and throw four in a half. Williams was also the first African-American quarterback to reach the Super Bowl, and to date is the only African-American quarterback to win one.
The Redskins set the following Super Bowl records en route to the victory:
Most offensive yards (602)
Most offensive rushing yards (280)
Most touchdowns scored in a Super Bowl game (6)
Most offensive yards in a quarter (356)[1]
Most points in a quarter (35)
Most touchdowns in a quarter (5)
The largest deficit that a team has ever overcome to win a Super Bowl (10 points)
Both teams combined to set the following records:
Most combined offensive yards (929)

And don't forget about flash in the pan Rookie Timmy Smith who rushed for 204 yards:
[IMG]http://www.litvinsports.com/images/timmy_smith_150.jpg[/IMG]

jamf 01-31-2008 12:38 PM

Re: Happy 20th Anniversary Superbowl XXII

Amazing week!
My dad took me to the team hotel every day after work for a week to get autographs, I still have that football!

I can still hear Al Michaels: "Sanders beats Haynes. Sanders out in front. 80 Yards, TOUCHDOWN!"

firstdown 01-31-2008 01:17 PM

Last year the NFL network re ran all the SB's just as they where played except for advertising which was current stuff. Watching the beging of that game I bet a bunch of Skins fans were shaking their heads as it looked like the romp was on. Knowing the out come you could see in the 1st quarter how we started making small strides and then things went crazy in the 2nd qrt. WOW, 356 yards in one qtr. where lucky to get that in a game now days.

MTK 01-31-2008 01:48 PM

Damn I feel old now.

That 2nd quarter was and still is the most amazing quarter of football in SB history. 35 points in one quarter is a record that might never fall.

GMScud 01-31-2008 02:05 PM

I was only 9 years old at the time that game. And I still remember watching it vividly. Awesome stuff. I was in awe of Timmy Smith.

freddyg12 01-31-2008 02:27 PM

I was 19 & a fresh in college. I remember I had a bet w/a friend & he called me when we were down 10-0. I was worried, but in no time we were up 35-10 at half. Don't think I've ever seen that big of a turnaround in any other game.

dmek25 01-31-2008 03:19 PM

my daughter was only a month old, and i can still remember my wife yelling at me for going nuts during the second quarter. ah, it doesnt seem like that long ago.

sancho2613 01-31-2008 04:15 PM

I had just turned 1 but sounds like it was one helluva game. I know I'm going to feel pretty old 20 years from now when I'm telling my kids (or grand kids) about how the Patriots lost Super Bowl XLII after going undefeated in the regular season...:cheeky-sm

Monkeydad 02-01-2008 11:16 AM

This was actually the FIRST Super Bowl I ever watched. :)

ArtMonkDrillz 02-01-2008 11:24 AM

I was only like 5 years old but I swear I remember bits and pieces of this game. I remember my mom going completely out of her mind during (I'm assuming) the second quarter and I remember getting really excited because everyone else was but I doubt I knew why.
I also vaguely remember going to the victory parade on Constitution Ave a few days later. There were so many people that I thought I was going to get trampled.
good times indeed.

dmek25 02-01-2008 01:48 PM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;416042]I was only like 5 years old but I swear I remember bits and pieces of this game. I remember my mom going completely out of her mind during (I'm assuming) the second quarter and I remember getting really excited because everyone else was but I doubt I knew why.
I also vaguely remember going to the victory parade on Constitution Ave a few days later. There were so many people that [B]I thought I was going to[/B] [B]get trampled.[/B]
[B]good times indeed[/B].[/quote]
hahaha. your into pain?

LBrown43 02-01-2008 02:01 PM

I was 26 and livign my first year here in NJ.
My biggest memory is throwing a pillow at the TV (more specifically Dan Dierdorff) when he was trashing my Skins after the first quarter.
Remember when Doug twisted that knee behind him and fumbled prior to the 2nd quarter? It looked bad but he came right back....and led us to one of the franchises shinning moments.
Nothing like your team being in the big game and winning.

over the mountain 02-01-2008 02:24 PM

[quote=GMScud;415812]I was only 9 years old at the time that game. And I still remember watching it vividly. Awesome stuff. I was in awe of Timmy Smith.[/quote]

yup i was just about 9 years old too. awesome game, first time i can really remember being glued to the TV watching a football game. alot of skins fans were born that day including me.

at halftime i gave my older brother a concussion playing football in the basement. good times!

Slingin Sammy 33 02-01-2008 03:32 PM

I was in the USAF stationed in Japan. Because of the time difference, the game was on at something like 7 or 8am. We got it live on Armed Forces TV. I had a roomful of guys that were "anti-Skins". I was taking a whole heap of $%#& until the Sanders TD. After that , I started tossing back the $%#& pretty hard. Before the end of the 2nd quarter me and one other Skins fan were all that were left watching the Skins pound Denver. Real good times.

It sure doesn't seem like 20 years has gone by since then.

BDBohnzie 02-01-2008 03:45 PM

I was 7 at the time, with the attention span of a fruit fly. After the Broncos went up 10-0, my buddy and I went outside to throw a football around. After they scored the first TD, my Dad came out to announce it. We looked at each other and figured, so what, they are still down. When they scored again, we raced inside to watch the rest of the quarter. Neither of us moved after we sat down...

To this day, I regret leaving the game. However, I also think that if I had stayed in and continued to watch, that they wouldn't have done what they did...