Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nfl draft order..Bucs pick ahead of us (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22293)

scafuri27 02-01-2008 07:16 AM

Nfl draft order..Bucs pick ahead of us

The Redskins pick 21st, one selection after the Buccaneers who are in the 20th spot. The teams both went 9-7 but from what I understand tie breaker is strenghth of schedule Bucs .469 Skins .555. The league should adjust this format. The Bucs beat us in the regular season, won their division, and were a higher seeded playoff team and they get to select above us in the first round of the draft. The frist 2 tiebreakers should be head to head and playoff seeding.

onlydarksets 02-01-2008 08:28 AM

Re: Nfl draft order..Bucs pick ahead of us

I agree - that doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

GTripp0012 02-01-2008 09:08 AM

Seems as if it would make more sense to just use the league's normal tiebreaker rules; head to head, conference record, division record*, common opponents record, strength of schedule,

skinsnut 02-01-2008 09:21 AM

didn't this used to be a coin flip situation?
or is that the supplemental draft?

I'm not really knowledgeable on this draft order stuff....but dont teams that tie switch positions in subsequent rounds?
IE...do the skins have a better 2nd rounder than the bucs?

SouperMeister 02-01-2008 09:44 AM

[quote=scafuri27;415996]The Redskins pick 21st, one selection after the Buccaneers who are in the 20th spot. The teams both went 9-7 but from what I understand tie breaker is strenghth of schedule Bucs .469 Skins .555. The league should adjust this format. The Bucs beat us in the regular season, won their division, and were a higher seeded playoff team and they get to select above us in the first round of the draft. The frist 2 tiebreakers should be head to head and playoff seeding.[/quote]I couldn't agree with you more on this.

Joe Ribbs BBQ 02-01-2008 11:13 AM

with our situation as a perfect example showing why this should be changed by the league

celts32 02-01-2008 11:37 AM

It's great to take the teams that benefited all year from an easier schedule and then reward them at draft time also. Makes no sense what so ever...I will take the 32 draft pick if i can move into the NFC South and play those teams twice a year.

dmek25 02-01-2008 01:47 PM

[quote=celts32;416045]It's great to take the teams that benefited all year from [B]an easier schedule and then reward them at draft time[/B] also. Makes no sense what so ever...I will take the 32 draft pick if i can move into the NFC South and play those teams twice a year.[/quote]
actually, this does make sense. they had an easier schedule, and could still only muster 9 wins. the league is thinking they should have won more with that schedule

GTripp0012 02-01-2008 01:51 PM

[quote=dmek25;416115]actually, this does make sense. they had an easier schedule, and could still only muster 9 wins. the league is thinking they should have won more with that schedule[/quote]Though strength of schedule is on the better side in terms of accurate statistics, it's hard to make the realistic argument that we were better than Tampa this year. They won their division, killed everyone in their division, and beat us. While the quality of opponents they played was very clearly weaker than ours, they dominated in most of their wins which is something that we wouldn't have been able to do playing their schedule (though we likely would have done better than 9-7).

But subscribing to the assumption that Tampa was better than us, a perfect system would have use picking ahead of them in the draft.

Whatever though, 20th/21st doesn't really make a damn difference.

sancho2613 02-01-2008 04:01 PM

[quote=dmek25;416115]actually, this does make sense. they had an easier schedule, and could still only muster 9 wins. the league is thinking they should have won more with that schedule[/quote]

It didn't make sense to me at first but I think you're right. If both teams have the same amount of wins then on paper the Skins would be the "better" team since they had a harder schedule...

scafuri27 02-01-2008 06:14 PM

The only exception to the rule involves the super bowl. Playoff seeding is irrelevent, yet the winner of the bowl picks 32 and the loser 31 no matter what. Percentage points on strenghth of schedule should not matter it should be similar to the tiebreakers for making the playoffs and identical records should be broken by playoff seeding or Sched. for non playoff teams and NFC vs AFC tiebreakers.

The Pats won the SB in the 2001 season. If they would have lost to Oakland like they were about to, than we would of had the 23rd pick in the draft instead of 32nd..would we still have taken Patrick Ramsey?? I agree 20/21 is not a huge difference but who knows...

Darrell_Green_28 02-01-2008 06:56 PM

We pick 21st for a reason, dont argue with it... Sean is with us in all ways possible.

Campbell17 02-01-2008 10:52 PM

[quote=sancho2613;416163]It didn't make sense to me at first but I think you're right. If both teams have the same amount of wins then on paper the Skins would be the "better" team since they had a harder schedule...[/quote]
Can you imagine a division switch? We'd be maybe 11-5, and they'd be 6-10.

That Guy 02-02-2008 12:21 AM

[quote=skinsnut;416010]didn't this used to be a coin flip situation?
or is that the supplemental draft?

I'm not really knowledgeable on this draft order stuff....but dont teams that tie switch positions in subsequent rounds?
IE...do the skins have a better 2nd rounder than the bucs?[/quote]

it shifts each round.

say three teams are 10-6 (Team A, B, and C)

in round 1, A picks first, then B, then C
in round 2 it's B, then C, then A
in round 3 it's C, then A, then B

etc...

SkinsFanSince91 02-02-2008 01:29 AM

[QUOTE=scafuri27;415996]The Redskins pick 21st, one selection after the Buccaneers who are in the 20th spot. The teams both went 9-7 but from what I understand tie breaker is strenghth of schedule Bucs .469 Skins .555. The league should adjust this format. The Bucs beat us in the regular season, won their division, and were a higher seeded playoff team and they get to select above us in the first round of the draft. The frist 2 tiebreakers should be head to head and playoff seeding.[/QUOTE]

Good point