Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Coordinators (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22300)

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 02-01-2008 01:26 PM

Re: The Coordinators

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;416086]Hey now, you know I don't discuss inside info here ;)

Seriously though, no I just know that KO is like the poster child for "continuity" there. He's been with the team for about 8 years now and he's slowly worked his way up the ladder there dabbling in several different aspects of the team. Vinny and Danny really like him a lot and have high expectations of him over the next few years, or so I've heard.

Interestingly enough, his father Tom was the NY Giants Linebackers Coach under...Jim Fassel.[/QUOTE]

Nice. You're a info-nugget gold mine that just keeps producing.

redsk1 02-01-2008 01:27 PM

I'm apprehensive about Zorn too. I think he could be good but may bolt for the Seahawks if that opportunity presents itself. Mora Jr may go another route so we don't know that.

I'm a little apprehensive about Blatche, just for the fact he was ready to retire. He seems to be a no nonsense coach which i like similar to GW. I would almost prefer Jerry Gray for no other reason than his youth.

dmek25 02-01-2008 01:32 PM

i am worried about our defense. i am not really a big Greg Williams fan, as head coach. but the man can flat out coach up some defensive schemes. used our talent to its fullest.

GTripp0012 02-01-2008 01:43 PM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;416062]I've got mixed feelings about Blache. On the one hand, he knows the system and the players and is well respected. On the other hand, I don't totally understand overhauling the top coaching positions and hiring a guy who is going to be gone in a year or so. That's a recipe for additional turnover.....something I could do without.[/quote]They could be going for gradual turnover here--trying to get from staff A to staff B without ripping it right out of the ground in a single year.

I do agree that by 2010, though Zorn/HC will still be here, Blache will not be.

SmootSmack 02-01-2008 01:52 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfan69;416079]If Blache retires they can hire Jerry Grey. Grey has played in the league and has been a D/C.[/QUOTE]

I imagine that if Williams gets a head coaching gig next year one of the first calls he'll make is to Jerry Gray to lead his defense

Slingin Sammy 33 02-01-2008 01:58 PM

I am concerned about Blanche. His track record as Chicago's D-Coordinator is less than stellar. I understand he's an old school, highly respected position coach, but I question his ability as a DC.

In Chicago from 1999 - 2003 the D was in the bottom third in 99, 2000, 2002 & 2003. In 2001 it was #1 in the league. After Blanche left, Ron Rivera took basically the same defensive players and turned that D into a juggernaut from 2004 (13th) 2005 (1st) 2006 (3rd) . Now Rivera is in SD as a LB coach and Chicago's D has struggled. I would be a lot more comfortable seeing an upward trend in performance rather than consistently low performance and one peak year.

I can understand the move if Meeks is the Head Coach and calling the D. Blanche & KO provide stability and continuity with the players and Meeks can implement his strategy and scheme which has been successful in Indy.

GTripp0012 02-01-2008 02:08 PM

[quote=Slingin Sammy 33;416122]I am concerned about Blanche. His track record as Chicago's D-Coordinator is less than stellar. I understand he's an old school, highly respected position coach, but I question his ability as a DC.

In Chicago from 1999 - 2003 the D was in the bottom third in 99, 2000, 2002 & 2003. In 2001 it was #1 in the league. After Blanche left, Ron Rivera took basically the same defensive players and turned that D into a juggernaut from 2004 (13th) 2005 (1st) 2006 (3rd) . Now Rivera is in SD as a LB coach and Chicago's D has struggled. I would be a lot more comfortable seeing an upward trend in performance rather than consistently low performance and one peak year.

I can understand the move if Meeks is the Head Coach and calling the D. Blanche & KO provide stability and continuity with the players and Meeks can implement his strategy and scheme which has been successful in Indy.[/quote]Blache is very respected in Chicago as a coordinator.

Unit production aside, remember that prior to 2000, the team had no Mike Brown, no Brian Urlacher, no Tommie Harris, no Alex Brown, no Ogunleye, no Ian Scott, no Lance Briggs, no Charles Tillman, and no Nathan Vasher.

The entire foundation for the defense of the current day Chicago Bears was layed by the Blache staff. Urlacher was a Blache-era pick, Mike Brown, Tilliman, Briggs, Alex Brown, and Ian Scott were all Blache's acquisitions.

That's 6 guys who played on the super bowl team in 2006, and Blache's scouting is chiefly responsible for putting them together.

Lovie Smith came in and filled in the pieces Blache was missing, but he certainly has an eye for elite defensive talent.

Bill B 02-01-2008 02:31 PM

"League sources tell me Blache would not take the job unless he had been promised a heavy sway in retaining the staff he wanted, hiring any replacements necessary and [B]keeping the players he wants back"[/B]

From JLC's blog above - which players may be on the chopping block with Blache making these decisions? Does this mean Philip Daniels is coming back? (being that Daniels was brought over from Chicago and has a history with Blache.)

MTK 02-01-2008 02:32 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;416126]Blache is very respected in Chicago as a coordinator.

Unit production aside, remember that prior to 2000, the team had no Mike Brown, no Brian Urlacher, no Tommie Harris, no Alex Brown, no Ogunleye, no Ian Scott, no Lance Briggs, no Charles Tillman, and no Nathan Vasher.

The entire foundation for the defense of the current day Chicago Bears was layed by the Blache staff. Urlacher was a Blache-era pick, Mike Brown, Tilliman, Briggs, Alex Brown, and Ian Scott were all Blache's acquisitions.

That's 6 guys who played on the super bowl team in 2006, and Blache's scouting is chiefly responsible for putting them together.

Lovie Smith came in and filled in the pieces Blache was missing, but he certainly has an eye for elite defensive talent.[/quote]

Good info - thanks

GTripp0012 02-01-2008 03:10 PM

[quote=Bill B;416130]"League sources tell me Blache would not take the job unless he had been promised a heavy sway in retaining the staff he wanted, hiring any replacements necessary and [B]keeping the players he wants back"[/B]

From JLC's blog above - which players may be on the chopping block with Blache making these decisions? Does this mean Philip Daniels is coming back? (being that Daniels was brought over from Chicago and has a history with Blache.)[/quote]I do think Daniels will be back in 2008.

skinsfan69 02-01-2008 04:49 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;416118]I imagine that if Williams gets a head coaching gig next year one of the first calls he'll make is to Jerry Gray to lead his defense[/quote]

And I would bet that Williams will be getting a call from the STL Rams.

SmootSmack 02-01-2008 05:05 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfan69;416181]And I would bet that Williams will be getting a call from the STL Rams.[/QUOTE]

To be head coach?

skinsnut 02-01-2008 07:24 PM

This article certainly implies that Fassel is the clear choice after stating the potential issues of hiring a defensive coach.

It only mentioned 3 head coach candidates Fassel, Williams and Meeks

I think the delay really has to do with the reaction of the fans when the Fassel leak came out...

I really see this as Fassel 50% chance, Mooch 35% chance and that OC from NE as 15%
This is an offensive coaches job.

Dirtbag59 02-01-2008 08:14 PM

[quote=redsk1;416102]I'm apprehensive about Zorn too. I think he could be good but may bolt for the Seahawks if that opportunity presents itself. Mora Jr may go another route so we don't know that.

I'm a little apprehensive about Blatche, just for the fact he was ready to retire. He seems to be a no nonsense coach which i like similar to GW. I would almost prefer Jerry Gray for no other reason than his youth.[/quote]

I doubt that. Mora Jr. and Greg Knapp are.......close. I kind of want to say something else but it would have been imature. I think that JLC was spot on when he speculated that Mora Jr wanted to bring in Knapp as his OC. I mean the guy stuck with him while he was with the Falcons and kept on braging how they were going to turn Vick into a WC QB.

skinsfan69 02-01-2008 11:00 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;416192]To be head coach?[/quote]

Yep. They've wanted to hire him for a while and Linehan isn't going to last too much longer.