Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Who Here Saw The Skins First Superbowl? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22324)

htownskinfan 02-02-2008 11:11 PM

Who Here Saw The Skins First Superbowl?

I'm surprised no ones posted this or i didnt see it,but I just noticed nfl network is showing the skins fins sb from 73,surprised their copy is not any better qaulity than mine that i aquired on ebay yrs ago,lol
I lived in manassas,va at the time and our house had been ruined by hurricane agnes,so from what i remember is sitting at the bottom of the stairs of the house we were in the process of redoing and watching it on a portable black n white tv.Will never forget Mike Bass returning that garo screwup for a td,we had a couple of opportunities to make that game so much closer or win it and we wouldnt be hearing about the fins perfect season for so long.In The 5 minutes i watched tonite I saw us punt in the first qtr and Jake Scott didnt field the ball but of course we didnt recover the fumble,that could have been at least 3 points,but also from what i remember,Kilmer threw what looked like would have been a perfect td pass to Taylor{I think} but it hit the goalpost{back then they were on the goal line} and bounced harmlessly to the ground,then Curt knight missed the frickin fg! what if i guess
Any other oldtimers out there remember it Like I do?

mredskins 02-02-2008 11:22 PM

Re: Who Here Saw The Skins First Superbowl?

I didn't see =( but my dad went eight months before I was born! they drove from dc to LA with a huge sign on their car that said Mi-am-i a redskins fans. I have aton of pics I should scan them.

backrow 02-02-2008 11:32 PM

[QUOTE=htownskinfan;416536]
Any other oldtimers out there remember it Like I do?[/QUOTE]

I remember Kilmer's wounded ducks quite well. I was always in Sonny's corner!

htownskinfan 02-02-2008 11:33 PM

[QUOTE=mredskins;416538]I didn't see =( but my dad went eight months before I was born! they drove from dc to LA with a huge sign on their car that said Mi-am-i a redskins fans. I have aton of pics I should scan them.[/QUOTE]

that would be cool,I remember going with my mom n dad to dulles airport to meet the team getting off the plane{i'm pretty sure it was after they lost,but i'm not sure,I was a little kid} It seems like i remember them calling out the players names but i couldnt see them becuase I was not tall enough to see over the crowd

htownskinfan 02-02-2008 11:37 PM

[QUOTE=backrow;416543]I remember Kilmer's wounded ducks quite well. I was always in Sonny's corner![/QUOTE]

yeah,I loved Sonny too,I still have an autographed pic of him from that yr that my dad got for me,he said he met him in a bar,that was his story anyway,he could have made it up but i prefer to believe his story,lol

htownskinfan 02-02-2008 11:50 PM

looks like it was posted,sorry about that
[url]http://www.redskinswarpath.com/locker-room/22320-sb-vii-on-nfl-network.html[/url]

Longtimefan 02-03-2008 12:19 AM

Miami's defense controled that SB game, and I was so despondent because Sonny Jurgensen wasn't able to play. It's believed by many that the Dolphins would not have won that game had Sonny been healthy.

We had difficulty controlling Larry Csonka & Mercury Morris, [espically Csonka] and the Dolphins controled the clock, and played great defense. Our only score came on a botched FG atempt. The holder mishandled the snap and the Dolphins kicker, Garo Y [sp] picked up the ball and atempted a pass that was intercepted by mike bass and returned for a TD. That was our highlight play of the game.

Sonny Jurgensen has said on more than one ocasion, that had he played in that game the Dolphins would have needed more that fourteen points to win.

Hail!! To The Over The Hill Gang

day.

Sonny Jurgensen has said on more than one ocasion, had he played in that game, the Dolphins would not have beaten us with fourteen points.

The Over The Hill Gang!!

SFREDSKIN 02-03-2008 12:28 AM

Just finished watching again 35 years later. The first 1/2 the Dolphins dominated, the 2nd half went to the Skins who blew 3 scoring opportunities. Curt Knight missed a FG, they got inside the 30 and went out on downs and towards the end of the game in the Dolphins 10 yard line, first Kilmer threw a pass to Jerry Smith that hit the post and on the next pass to Charlie Taylor the ball got intercepted by Jake Scott. Bottom line Skins had 3 costly turnovers to the Dolphins 1 costly turnover which resulted in Mike Bass snatching the ball that Garo Yepremian try to throw for a TD. Funny things I saw in the game was a young Bobby Beathard on the Dolphins sideline and Marv Levy George Allen's assistant with dark hair. Man did Art Monk play like the great Charlie Taylor, what a resemblance.

maxiemom 02-03-2008 01:35 AM

I was just out of grade school, but I remember it. You guys are definitely right, too, that if Sonny had played that game, it would've been a very different game (I was never a Kilmer fan anyway, and Sonny was one of the best ever). That Miamai team was a great one, but the Redskins could have won with Sonny, even though that Miami defense was so tough (and yes, I think they could beat the stuffings out of Tom Brady and his puffed up Patriots because their defense wouldn't have allowed Brady to have his way with them as easily as Mr. Brady and some of these sports writers seem to think they would).
mply
That game was one of the biggest dissappointments of my life.

SkinDogg 02-03-2008 01:48 AM

I saw our first Super Bowl. I was roughly 8 years old and worshiped Evel Knievel almost as much as the Skins. Almost.

flashalexb 02-03-2008 02:01 AM

Wasn't even a thought at that point considering I was born in '86.

SpeedyDuncan 02-03-2008 02:12 AM

I watched it on TV with my family. I was 12. We had some friends and family over for the game. The pre game excitement was huge.

The game was hard fought. I never thought we were out of it. But, it wasn't a pretty game for the Skins. The 26-3 win over Dallas in the NFC Championship was our peak.

Larry Brown was banged up and handled by the Dolphins. Kilmer needed the running game to set up the pass. But, we had our chances.

That was a helluva football team that kept rolling after their best player got hurt. I always felt bad for Sonny.

I recall being disappointed after the game, but only because of the loss. I loved that team and getting to the Super Bowl was enough. I remember how fired up I got when we hired George Allen. He coached the Rams and they were always a great team. I knew we were going to get better. He brought a bunch of Rams with him and took us to the Super Bowl.

I saw every play.

budw38 02-03-2008 07:03 AM

That is the first game that I can remember watching , I was only 7. I also believe had we had Sonny , we could have won that game . Awesome football back then .

SuperFan99 02-03-2008 07:32 AM

I understand people wishing Sonny had played in that game, but he was on the sidelines in crutches. I believe that if Sonny hadn't gotten hurt in the Giants game in NY earlier in the season, the Redskins would NOT have made the Super Bowl. Billy Kilmer was the right quarterback for George Allen's offensive "philosophy." He had no ego, and was willing to hand the ball of the Larry Brown, throw deep occassionaly to Taylor and Jefferson to keep the defense honest. Sonny wanted to do his own thing. He wanted the glory. That's why he butted heads with Allen. Kilmer played great all season and especially in the NFC championship game against the Cowboys. Yes, he threw 3 interceptions in the Super Bowl, but the Dolphins had a great defense. I'm one of the few who believe Sonny would have been rusty and immobile to Miami's rush. Billy Kilmer led the Redskins to that Super Bowl and earned the right to play . . . blame Kilmer if you want, but he wasn't on defense allowing Csonka to rush for over 100 yards and a 7.5 average . . . the Redskins inability to stop the Miami ground-game, I'm afraid, was the game.