Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   JLC Insider-Springs Reax to Zorn (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22470)

skinsguy 02-09-2008 11:16 PM

Re: JLC Insider-Springs Reax to Zorn

[QUOTE=Paintrain;420076]LOL, sorry.. Reax is a media shortcut.. I hope I don't get lumped into the 'burgandy' and 'ridicules' crowd for that one![/QUOTE]

LOL! I actually had no idea that was a media shortcut, so you're fully vindicated! ;)

memphisskin 02-10-2008 08:28 AM

3 things...

1. Player buy in seems to be high, which should help smooth the transition from Coach Joe to Coach Jim. The long period between coaches actually helps in a weird kind of way, because we've long since said goodbye to Gibbs 2.0 and are welcome to moving forward with Zorn.

2. The offensive guys may be better suited for this offense. I'd still like to see us develop or draft a taller receiver for the red zone (remember Darnerian McCants six scores?) but I see big things for Moss and Randle El in this offense.

3. The commitment to Jason Campbell. Glad to hear that the commitment is to further the progression of Jason Campbell. At first I wanted Saunders back just to prevent the poor kid from having to learn yet another offense, but who better to mold a qb than a former franchise qb. Glad to see that the organization is behind #17.

4. A bonus, Cooley is going to love this offense. The west coast doesn't feature the tight end, but Holmgren's version always has. Chmura, Franks, Stevens, when they have a good tight end then the west coast seems to really pop. Not related to player reax, but i'm a playa and that's my reaction!

Paintrain 02-10-2008 09:25 AM

[QUOTE=memphisskin;420141][b]3 things...[/b]

1. Player buy in seems to be high, which should help smooth the transition from Coach Joe to Coach Jim. The long period between coaches actually helps in a weird kind of way, because we've long since said goodbye to Gibbs 2.0 and are welcome to moving forward with Zorn.

2. The offensive guys may be better suited for this offense. I'd still like to see us develop or draft a taller receiver for the red zone (remember Darnerian McCants six scores?) but I see big things for Moss and Randle El in this offense.

3. The commitment to Jason Campbell. Glad to hear that the commitment is to further the progression of Jason Campbell. At first I wanted Saunders back just to prevent the poor kid from having to learn yet another offense, but who better to mold a qb than a former franchise qb. Glad to see that the organization is behind #17.

[b]4.[/b] A bonus, Cooley is going to love this offense. The west coast doesn't feature the tight end, but Holmgren's version always has. Chmura, Franks, Stevens, when they have a good tight end then the west coast seems to really pop. Not related to player reax, but i'm a playa and that's my reaction![/QUOTE]

Let's hope Zorn coaches better than you count. :httr:

Smooter 02-10-2008 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=Paintrain;420163]Let's hope Zorn coaches better than you count. :httr:[/QUOTE]

lmao, I just caught that too.

schndr_tdd 02-10-2008 11:52 AM

Hello fellow SKINS.I want to start by saying,it was a good hire,not the glamour one.Ive read so much about how Zorn has never playcalled,run anything other than the quarterback,on a short list,etc.,etc.,etc.Give the man a chance and then grade him on effort and results.He has worked under a perfectionist in Holmgren,played with the same breed in Largent.Ask Hassellbeck about what was expected of him,people will see what hes made of in 08.I coach little league baseball and i do fairly well.The reason that is,I played baseball as a youngster,and still play today.So,i know the X's and O's fairly well.Zorn will be fine he knows X's and O's.He called plays behind center.

EXoffender 02-10-2008 08:56 PM

I was excited for Zorn initially. It was the seemingly confusion by the FO that made this ultimate hire questionable. When the wins pile up no one will question the move.

BrunellMVP? 02-10-2008 09:55 PM

will be exciting to see some high scoring...may allah grant!

i'm scared of a 1-2 year adjustment period though...

skinsfan69 02-10-2008 09:58 PM

[quote=Paintrain;419955]Corner Shawn Springs was a former draft pick and star for the Seahawks and knew new Redskins head coach Jim Zorn a tad from his time in Seattle. Springs was enthusiastic about the possibilities but expects significant change in the offense.

"The offensive guys better be ready, I'm telling you it's going to be different from what they're used to. The way they ran practice and the whole philosophy of thinking is entirely differently. This system is all about speed, the quickness, the timing getting in and out of practice, from what I remember."

Springs said Zorn's roots under Mike Holmgren should serve him well:

"I like the fact that Coach Holmgren and his staff were extremely confident and extremely well-organized. I learned so much from them in practice. We had a learning period in practice. I learned so much from being those offensive coaches and Jim's been around enough good people that he'll bring in some good guys with experience, and I personally think he can do some things. I know he worked his quarterbacks hard, but we'll have to see what kind of coach he is."

Springs compared the efficiency and organization of Seattle's offense to the way Gregg Williams ran practices here when he was assistant head coach - defense. Privately, many players complained about the lack of special situations and late-game situations in practice sessions under Joe Gibbs.

"How Gregg was organized that how they were organized on the offensive side of the ball in Seattle.[B] They're going to be aggressive on offense; they're not going to clam up. They're going to continue to push to score."[/B]

Springs said he had just begun to talk to teammates but thought the overall reaction would be one of relief and hope.

"Guys will be excited that we've got a coach, for one, and you can't argue the fact that he's coming from a system where they're coming from winning. Not all the prestige that Coach Gibbs had, but being around Coach Holmgren, that's pretty impressive."

[URL="http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/02/shawn_springs_reacts_to_the_hi.html"]Shawn Springs Reacts To The Hiring Of Jim Zorn - Redskins Insider[/URL]

Sounds pretty optimistic.. Subtle dig at Gibbs conservatism bolded but all in all he sounds excited about Zorn.[/quote]

Now this is what I want to hear. Anyone ever notice when Seattle is on offense how quick the plays come in, how quick they get in and out of the huddle? It's up tempo all the time and they try and keep the defense on it's heels. I've noticed this and it's one thing I'm really looking forward to seeing.

Rajmahal33 02-10-2008 09:59 PM

The real question is...Will Snyder/Cerrato have the patience to deal with that adjustment period?

(Also will our window of opportunity to do something special with these guys close up in that 1/2 year time frame?)

ncskinsfanec 02-10-2008 11:06 PM

[quote=Redskins8588;420003]Just to be clear, I wasnt trying to slam Gibbs. But we all watched these past 4 seasons and can remember games that were lost because we didnt go for the kill...[/quote]

Didn't we make the playoffs two of the four seasons that Coach Gibbs was back? That beats the heck out of what we did the 11 seasons prior! Even if he was a bit conservative at times, he restored a lot of pride and respectibility back to this great franchise!

jamf 02-10-2008 11:49 PM

[QUOTE=Paintrain;420076]LOL, sorry.. Reax is a media shortcut.. I hope I don't get lumped into the 'burgandy' and 'ridicules' crowd for that one![/QUOTE]

I'm having a redskins rich moment, I actually looked up Reax. ;)

Giantone 02-11-2008 06:12 AM

[quote=Paintrain;419995]More player reax.. Randle-El with good things to say..

[URL="http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/02/randle_el_endorses_zorn.html"]Randle El Endorses Zorn - Redskins Insider[/URL][/quote]

Name a reciever that does'nt like the WC offense,do you honestly believe any player would say this isn't a good move?

Giantone 02-11-2008 06:14 AM

[quote=Rajmahal33;420453]The real question is...Will Snyder/Cerrato have the patience to deal with that adjustment period?

(Also will our window of opportunity to do something special with these guys close up in that 1/2 year time frame?)[/quote]

Great question ,no.1/2 year?

Paintrain 02-11-2008 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=Giantone;420493]Name a reciever that does'nt like the WC offense,do you honestly believe any player would say this isn't a good move?[/QUOTE]

No, but a player very well could say something along the lines of 'We'll wait and see how it all come together.' I recall a good deal of that when Spurrier came aboard..

JLee9718 02-18-2008 05:23 PM

Zorn must have seen something in Collins because, according to the Washington Post, he wants him back as #2, but he must know something that we don't about Brunell...the same article said that Brunell wouldn't be coming back. I guess we'll have to wait and see. So I think Collins' reaction to Zorn will be a positive one.