Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   McIntosh and Rogers effect on player movement (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22546)

WillH 02-14-2008 11:45 AM

Re: McIntosh and Rogers effect on player movement

[quote=SmootSmack;422035]The concern with Rocky is that this could become (if it hasn't already) a chronic problem with his knees, and in addition there are some concerns about Marcus Washington's health. And add to that Godfrey's possible retirement then I don't think Briggs is such a long shot. Though I think if forced to choose they are more likely to go after a WR in free agency/trade and draft a linebacker

As for Rogers. Well that combined with Springs' age is the main reason why I keep clamoring for Talib or Cason to be our first round pick.[/quote]

Yeah I don't know if it was in this article or not, but I remember reading Rocky had a degenerative knee problem, which is exactly what I've heard about Lavar. Lavar played through it for a couple years, but he was never the same once it began. Hopefully Rocky wont share the same fate.

MTK 02-14-2008 11:52 AM

[quote=dmek25;422075]somehow, Springs got over looked for the pro bowl. last year he had an all star caliber season. he was very good, and people were still talking about him moving to safety. it seemed like the respect he had for coach Gibbs kept him playing thru some of the smaller, nagging injuries that for a different coach may have sidelined him[/quote]

Springs was great down the stretch, and his INTs against Chicago really helped kickstart the playoff run.

I just hope he can stay healthy.

freddyg12 02-14-2008 11:57 AM

[quote=Bill B;422077]I am keeping my fingers crossed that both of these guys can play this year and the Skins can address LB next offseason. I think that the main thing with Briggs is how much will he command on the market - if it is anything close to the $20 million in total bonus money he was looking for that was reported last year I just can't see us going after him with all of our other needs. Plus I would think that there are some other teams that may sound entincing to him compared to us - i.e. the Patriots LB's are getting old and if he had the chioce of us or the Patriots and the money was the same I don't know if the Skins could compete with Patriots.[/quote]

I agree, Briggs wants to get paid big $$. I hope DS doesn't open up the checkbook to him. I can't see Briggs wanting any less than $20mil bonus.

If we get him though, he's a great OLB & I'd rather spend big money on him than ocho 5.

Paintrain 02-14-2008 12:38 PM

I'd be suprised if we didn't bring in another CB to be a starter while Rogers recovers.. It was a good thing to rest Springs a little bit early in the season because he seemed fresher late in December. Smoot is a solid CB but I don't know that you want him on an island for 16 games. We need to sign a young vet or draft one on the first day to replace Springs after '08..

At LB I don't think we need Briggs but wouldn't be opposed to him coming in.. Washington's probably in his final year so we're going to have to address it in '09 anyways.. Blades is a solid backup to Fletcher so we're good there.. Unless we can pick up a strong side LB in the draft to develop quickly, I'd rather address it this free agency season if we can..

hesscl34 02-14-2008 12:43 PM

[quote=FRPLG;422073]One would think you'd hope for the opposite seeing as the Skins are your favorite team. I know most fans don't hope someone sucks so they can be let go.[/quote]

I hope for a good corner that doesn't get beat every game. Rogers was taking up roster space... I want to let him go and fill his spot with someone much better.

GTripp0012 02-14-2008 01:59 PM

[quote=hesscl34;422114]I hope for a good corner that doesn't get beat every game. Rogers was taking up roster space... I want to let him go and fill his spot with someone much better.[/quote]We could...let him develop...

Again, a serious knee injury may keep him from developing, but we don't have to conclude at the end of his second season that he's a total bust (when he was the best player in our pathetic secondary that year).

I thought the first 7 games of 2007 gave us reason to think Rogers was developing. The knee injury is a definate setback, but lets wait until the end of 2008 to call Rogers a bust.

GTripp0012 02-14-2008 02:01 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;422087]Springs was great down the stretch, and his INTs against Chicago really helped kickstart the playoff run.

I just hope he can stay healthy.[/quote]It's a long stretch...he hasn't been totally healthy since 2005 when he was the leagues top cover corner. I doubt he will ever be totally healthy again.

I'll be cool with whichever way we go with Springs, but I don't think we can count on him at this point.

SS says we should draft a corner in the first round--I'm not sure about that but I would definately bring in some competition. If we could get Trufant, that would be ideal.

SmootSmack 02-14-2008 02:08 PM

[QUOTE=GTripp0012;422166]It's a long stretch...he hasn't been totally healthy since 2005 when he was the leagues top cover corner. I doubt he will ever be totally healthy again.

I'll be cool with whichever way we go with Springs, but I don't think we can count on him at this point.

SS says we should draft a corner in the first round--I'm not sure about that but I would definately bring in some competition. If we could get Trufant, that would be ideal.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I'd break the bank for a Trufant or Samuels. I think we could actually get a pretty solid DB in the 2nd or even 3rd round. Except those DBs probably wouldn't be as likely to contribute as soon as one of the guys I mentioned could be.

QBall 02-14-2008 02:15 PM

Samuels is better than Champ, getting him would be excellent. Rookies are really risky, they don't cover shit in college compared with what the NFC East throws out there.

GTripp0012 02-14-2008 02:17 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;422174]I don't think I'd break the bank for a Trufant or Samuels. I think we could actually get a pretty solid DB in the 2nd or even 3rd round. Except those DBs probably wouldn't be as likely to contribute as soon as one of the guys I mentioned could be.[/quote]I don't think we [B]can [/B]break the bank.

The key to this season is depth. Brian Kelly adds depth too, and wouldn't cost half as much as Trufant, who himself won't cost half as much as Samuel.

My issue is that sitting at 21, I'm not sure a guy like Talib is the be-all-end-all to our DB issues. We could certainly do a lot worse, but I have questions surrounding Talib...like if he's just a product of Kansas' success this year. Cason--I don't know very much about him, but I know he's been on the NFL radar for quite a few seasons now.

My main point of contention with the CB position is that it doesn't seem to be a great year for it (while it is a great year for DLmen), and we will know so much more about our CB needs at this point next year than we do right now.

Certainly, the depth at that position needs to be addressed in light of Rogers' injury, and using the 21st pick there would be a good use of the pick, but only if we land a guy who is everything we think he will be.

No idea who will be around at CB in the 2nd or 3rd round, and it seems that we would be even less likely that they would fit our long term needs.

It's looking like the FO is going to have to make a decision between CB or OL this year in the draft. The draft is deep enough at DL to assume we will spend a pick there, but if we take CB in the first round, I'm not sure that we can expect to get OL help. I'd personally prefer the OL help this year as compared to CB.

sportscurmudgeon 02-14-2008 02:35 PM

Nnamdi Asomugah is a really good CB in Oakland and his contract is up. Absent the Raiders putting the franchise tag on him, he will be a free agent and will probably command a lower price than Trufant and will certainly come cheaper than Samuels.

SmootSmack 02-14-2008 02:38 PM

Yeah I mentioned Nnamdi a month or so back, but I thought he was pretty much guaranteed to get franchised? If not, then sure he'd be a great choice

Rajmahal33 02-14-2008 03:09 PM

Don't know if someone already posted this somewhere else, but the Dolphins plan on releasing Thomas...

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3245927]ESPN - Source: Dolphins to release Thomas after 11 seasons - NFL[/url]

Any thoughts? Is he worth going after to help an ailing McIntosh?

SmootSmack 02-14-2008 03:17 PM

35 years old (at the start of the 2008 season) with a history of concussions and migraines? I'll pass

Paintrain 02-14-2008 03:21 PM

[QUOTE=Rajmahal33;422213]Don't know if someone already posted this somewhere else, but the Dolphins plan on releasing Thomas...

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3245927]ESPN - Source: Dolphins to release Thomas after 11 seasons - NFL[/url]

Any thoughts? Is he worth going after to help an ailing McIntosh?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think we should.. Warrick Holdman was released earlier this week too.. We could put them together and have a great LB corp..

in 2001.