Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   (Updated Title) Sherman Smith Joins Redskins as OC (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22552)

Cap'nChaos47 02-15-2008 06:05 PM

Re: Insider: Sherman Smith...Still Deciding

And awaaaaaaaaaaay they go!

Time to win the offseason baby!

Longtimefan 02-15-2008 06:07 PM

[QUOTE=Dirtbag359;422703]Poor JLC, the guy can't get a break. I say the guys going to die this offseason due to sleep deprivation. Dan Snyder on the other hand has turned himself into a cyborg, that way he use all day to process NFL coaching canidates and free agents that he can spend money on. It's hard keeping track of a cyborg.[/QUOTE]

He's mentioned on more than one ocasion how the process has taken it's toll on him. It's amazing how he's battled that traffic on Interstate 95, back and forth between Ashburn Va. & Baltimore. Dont koow how he manages.

Longtimefan 02-15-2008 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=freddyg12;422543]Smith sounds like a good man, based on the tiny amount i've read.

In addition to being Zorn's guy, another thing IMO that weighs in his favor is that he's black. Players don't like the coaching turnover if they're comfortable w/the coaches they have & we all know that players spoke about keeping the staff intact.

Players that are upset at some of the decisions might at least see that the Skins are at least promoting a qualified minority, and they replaced Byner likewise. I'm sure a lot of players want to see the Rooney Rule be more than lip service & formality.[/QUOTE]

I had posted a simular thought in the Zorn Hire thread and I agree. However, as a result of Sherman Smith taking this position it can only serve to better his positions for future opportunities should they arise. I have always felt the "Rooney Rule" was a joke-style, but no substance. There's just no way to be able to determine the true effectiveness of it. Granted, the originator of the rule may have had good intent, but the actual result of it are far from encouraging.

Darrell_Green_28 02-15-2008 07:37 PM

He has taken the job. Can change title to HAS DECIDED

[URL="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-redskins-smith&prov=ap&type=lgns"]Titans' Sherman Smith joins Redskins as offensive coordinator - NFL - Yahoo! Sports[/URL]

jsarno 02-17-2008 12:24 AM

[QUOTE=Darrell_Green_28;422730]He has taken the job. Can change title to HAS DECIDED

[URL="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-redskins-smith&prov=ap&type=lgns"]Titans' Sherman Smith joins Redskins as offensive coordinator - NFL - Yahoo! Sports[/URL][/QUOTE]

I am trying to reserve myself to only positive thinking, but I am not sure I am on board with this signing either. We have unlimited resources to get top of the line coaches, and we are settling for bottom of the barrel.
Smith was an RB coach at Miami University (that's Ohio), he was also tight end and RB coach at university of illinios, he then became the RB coach for the Titans in 1995, and wasn't promoted until 2006 as assistant head coach offense of an offense that has sucked the past couple years.
I don't know man...I am not at all happy with our coaches right now...I am so hoping this works out, just unsure of how wise these hirings are.

Oakland Red 02-17-2008 12:54 AM

Re: (Updated Title) Sherman Smith Joins Redskins as OC

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington! I think Sherman Smith is a great hire. He knows the offense inside and out, and will take a load off of Coach Zorn so that he can focus on quarterback coaching. He's an excellent teacher, and will be Coach Zorn's proxy in transmitting to the players the West Coach offense, and will be a great help in designing plays as well I'm sure.

I can tell he's a good man from everything I've seen, and will be a positive and balancing influence on the players as the coaching adminstration transition period goes along and the players learn a new offense.

Not every coach we hire can already be in the Hall of Fame. It's about talent, it's about fitting into a situation, being the right piece of the puzzle. This is the right place for Coach Smith and I'm glad he's on board.

4mrusmc 02-17-2008 03:01 PM

Somehow I'm not impressed with this hiring at all. The jury will be out until after the season ends. I will at least give this guy the benefit of the doubt.

jsarno 02-17-2008 03:56 PM

[QUOTE=4mrusmc;423360]Somehow I'm not impressed with this hiring at all. The jury will be out until after the season ends. I will at least give this guy the benefit of the doubt.[/QUOTE]

agreed.

NYCskinfan82 02-17-2008 08:16 PM

yet another coach who hires someone 2 be their OFC & then wants to call the plays then why hire an OFC let them do the job you hired them 4

hooskins 02-17-2008 08:21 PM

A coach has to be able to bring in his own people to work on his system. You cannot force feed too many different coaches with random system. It doesnt matter how much money we have, kinda like the US basketball team(you cant just have all these big names who dont blend well). Plus Zorn already has to work with Bugel, and other members still left over from non-wco.