Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jerry Porter? Better, cheaper, option at WR... (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22558)

4mrusmc 02-15-2008 09:19 AM

Re: Jerry Porter? Better, cheaper, option at WR...

[quote=cpayne5;422483]There have been rumors off and on that have indicated that the Cardinals may not be able to afford him, or that they just don't want to pay him.[/quote]
....And because they are the Cardinals.

Ruhskins 02-15-2008 09:21 AM

[QUOTE=cpayne5;422483]There have been rumors off and on that have indicated that the Cardinals may not be able to afford him, or that they just don't want to pay him.[/QUOTE]

It would be great if the Cardinals would cut him, because if we get LF we'd get a #1 receiver without having to give up our draft picks. I really think Snyder/Cerrato should keep an eye on this situation and jump on Fitzgerald if they get the chance. They should stop with this Johnson business, otherwise the Bengals are going to end up picking the Skins clean with a trade.

SmootSmack 02-15-2008 10:21 AM

[QUOTE=cpayne5;422479]Of all the WRs discussed so far, Fitzgerald is far and away the one I prefer. I don't like Chad Johnson's personality (sorry, Daseal), Jerry Porter's age and lack of production, and Javon Walker's injuries and malcontent. Roy Williams would be a close #2 to Fitzgerald.

I'd much rather overpay for Fitzgerald than any of the others. He is a big-time receiver who would complement Santana Moss very well, and would allow ARE to slide to the slot, where he could be deadly.[/QUOTE]

How much are you willing to pay though? He's due something like $18 million this year. Who knows how much less, if any, he'd be willing to accept.

Campbell17 02-15-2008 10:31 AM

Jerry Porter has never really impressed me a lot I dont want him. No name have i seen yet that is even close to Chad Johnson.

cpayne5 02-15-2008 10:38 AM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;422509]How much are you willing to pay though? He's due something like $18 million this year. Who knows how much less, if any, he'd be willing to accept.[/QUOTE]

Restructure his contract like they everyone else.

2BIG2BSKINNY 02-15-2008 10:39 AM

[quote=celts32;422382]The Redskins need a #1 WR...I don't see Porter as any better then what we already have. He's okay for depth but he doesn't solve the need. I think Roy Williams from Detroit is the player they need if he becomes available.[/quote]

Now your talking!
great hands and size!
Give me Williams over Ocho Cinco, in the long run ould cost us a little less!

Fitzgerald is also the player to go after if available!

Campbell17 02-15-2008 10:39 AM

[quote=cpayne5;422521]Restructure his contract like they everyone else.[/quote]
If we were gonna pay that much, we have to be sure to get results from the player.

skinsfan69 02-15-2008 10:39 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;422311]West Coast Brandon Lloyd

Seriously though, he's got the talent but will his attitude do a 180 outside of Oakland?[/quote]

I was going to say the same damn thing. We've already got an overpriced underproducing wr. You've got me on the Devin Thomas bandwagon. But he's a Jr. Is he coming out?

cpayne5 02-15-2008 10:44 AM

[QUOTE=Campbell17;422525]If we were gonna pay that much, we have to be sure to get results from the player.[/QUOTE]

I think this would be one of the more sure bets the Skins could make, IMO. This is not Brandon Lloyd we're talking about here. This is a guy who can legitimately catch 90 balls and score 10 TDs a year for the next 6-8 years. I don't mind overpaying for that.

SmootSmack 02-15-2008 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=skinsfan69;422526]I was going to say the same damn thing. We've already got an overpriced underproducing wr. You've got me on the Devin Thomas bandwagon. But he's a Jr. Is he coming out?[/QUOTE]

Yes, he is skipping his senior year. I'm not even on the Devin Thomas bandwagon though. I mean I think he could be a good choice, but I was just mentioning him as a top possibility if you wanted to get an impact receiver in the 2nd round.

I'd personally prefer to see them pick up a 4th round pick though, so maybe that means trading down in the 2nd round and picking up a 4th rounder.

Ruhskins 02-15-2008 11:02 AM

[QUOTE=cpayne5;422529]I think this would be one of the more sure bets the Skins could make, IMO. This is not Brandon Lloyd we're talking about here. This is a guy who can legitimately catch 90 balls and score 10 TDs a year for the next 6-8 years. I don't mind overpaying for that.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with this. Larry Fitzgerald would be a much better acquisition than Chad Johnson. Young guy, good character, and a marquee receiver. Plus, if the Cardinals screw this up (which they will), we need to go after this guy.

celts32 02-15-2008 11:05 AM

[QUOTE=2BIG2BSKINNY;422524]Now your talking!
great hands and size!
Give me Williams over Ocho Cinco, in the long run ould cost us a little less!

Fitzgerald is also the player to go after if available![/QUOTE]

I can't see Fitz becoming available...he's pretty much the best player on that team. I don't even understand why Williams would become available I was just reacting to the rumor that was out there a little while back. Williams is the only one of the Matt Millen WR's that has panned out so far I can't see why they would trade him.

Ruhskins 02-15-2008 11:09 AM

[QUOTE=celts32;422542]I can't see Fitz becoming available...he's pretty much the best player on that team. I don't even understand why Williams would become available I was just reacting to the rumor that was out there a little while back. Williams is the only one of the Matt Millen WR's that has panned out so far I can't see why they would trade him.[/QUOTE]

This is the Arizona Cardinals we're talking about, they will screw this up. LOL.

JoeRedskin 02-15-2008 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=Ruhskins;422546]This is the Arizona Cardinals we're talking about, they will screw this up. LOL.[/QUOTE]

Something the fans of many other teams say about a certain team wearing "maroon, black and yellow." The reality of a situation may not always be as it seems to those on the outside looking in. You'd think as Skins fans we would know that.

SkinsFanSince91 02-15-2008 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=Drift Reality;422477]I'm surprised we're talking about a guy who was a bad seed on [B]the Raiders[/B]!

If this guy was considered a disease on the most disease-infested team in the league (with an owner who the Boy looks up to) then why would anyone think it is a good idea to bring him in here?

We might as well re-sign Lloyd to an extended contract.[/QUOTE]

Simply put, Oakland is a bad place to play.

Moss came out and had a career year, John Gruden was traded as a coach for crying out loud, and Al Davis is, well, Al Davis.

He is a band aid, but it is better that getting a big name free agent that we have to overpay or trade to get.

The only other person that we MAY be able to get is Larry Fitzgerald, but the Cardinals may not let that happen.

I can see paying the big $$$ for him, but if not we need to seriously consider Jerry Porter.

Bringing him back to DC may help him get back into form. It will at least buy us a year until Anthony Mix develops, this year's draft pick at WR develops, or until we can draft a WR early next year.

Its just so crazy that it just might work.