Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What are your thoughts on drafting a WR with our first round pick? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22560)

That Guy 02-16-2008 01:42 PM

Re: What are your thoughts on drafting a WR with our first round pick?

[quote=skinsfan_nn;422863]How is the need already addressed we haven't even seen Mix catch one ball at WR for the Skins? I also like what I witnessed on teams from Mix but excitement on teams and making it in this league as as starting quality WR are two different things. So I'm interested to see how he does in camp, but this young man went undrafted. And was thought to go late in the 7th round. His college stats are very weak, he played both TE/WR at Auburn.

So to think Mix is going to be the next big possession WR in the NFL is quite a stretch to say the least.

[URL="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2006/draft/players/598.html"]SI.com - 2006 NFL Draft - Anthony Mix[/URL]

[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=128173"]ESPN - Anthony Mix Stats, News, Photos - Auburn Tigers - NCAA College Football[/URL][/quote]

yeah, i'm getting REALLY tired of hearing "but we have mix" too. 6'5" doesn't mean you can play.

skinsfan_nn 02-19-2008 09:55 PM

[quote=That Guy;422929]yeah, i'm getting REALLY tired of hearing "but we have mix" too. 6'5" doesn't mean you can play.[/quote]

We've seen that tall doesn't always convert into success. Michael Westbrook & Rod Garner both come into mind. Also both drafted in the 1st round of the draft, I believe MW was a 4th pick overall in the first round in around 95. Neither worked out very well.

I'd like to see if this Mix kid has anything (but I don't expect much), but I would think if the team thought they had what they where looking for in the big possession wide out (in Mix) on the roster, we wouldn't be in the market.

Campbell17 02-19-2008 10:56 PM

Are you from Detroit? If we did id want manningham, but I dont. IMO we have to many bigger priorities.

GTripp0012 02-19-2008 11:52 PM

[quote=That Guy;422929]yeah, i'm getting REALLY tired of hearing "but we have mix" too. 6'5" doesn't mean you can play.[/quote]I mean, there's no reason a guy like Mix should be overvalued, in fact he's got all the qualities of an underrated player, but the fanbase has gone insane with expectation over him.

That Guy 02-20-2008 01:37 AM

kelly wont be there at 21 and i don't think sweed's a great risk to take, since he never had great years and he got a lot of stats off teams like rice.

I think jackson is the safe bet, and kelly's a longer shot, but still viable... after that it looks mainly like #2's and depth, though i guess you never know.

meanwhile, the DT/DE talent in the first round is CRAZY and that happens to be a huge need for us anyways.

i think we'll probably go DE/CB, DE/DT, CB/DL, or DL/WR in the draft right now. if the CB is cromartie or porter, i'm happy with that... the 2nd round WR would be devin thomas in all likelyhood. i'd also really like phillips, but honestly, griffin or zbikowski are 3rd rounders and would still provide a good upgrade there, while letting us get more total starting talent by getting a core #1 CB or DL guy.

Redskin 02-20-2008 04:49 AM

I think we have plenty of recievers we have much more pressing matters elsewhere that need to be attended to first

mauiRedskinbarn 02-20-2008 04:59 AM

There are going to be very good WR in free agency weather in be Wilford, Bryant Johnson, Javon Walker, moss, muhammad, Porter, etc. All these guys coulb make an immediate impact. Pick up one of these guys, keep Caldwell, (maybe thrash), and draft a guy in the later rounds, this years draft is stacked with high talent at WR, we could get a gem on the 2nd day maybe, if not at least we got Espy and Mix coming up. then go for d-line and db's with the 1st 2 picks possibly 3 picks

Bishop Hammer 02-21-2008 11:38 AM

Re: What our your thoughts on drafting a WR with out first round pick?

[QUOTE=Dirtbag359;422329][B]As of today the bandwagon I'm on is try to sign either Jerry Porter[/B] or Javon Walker (if he gets released) then use the draft on DL and OLine. Also open to the possibility of taking a linebacker on the first day. However knowing Synder we're probably going to give a first and third for CJ and draft a DE in the second.[/QUOTE]

I would like to sign Porter as well. I do not think the Skins will use their first round pick on a wide reciever but they may use it in the second round; James Hardy would be a perfect candidate to draft with that pick, in my opinion. He 6'7(the tall reciever that Campbell would covet), quick, and has good hands.

Here are some stats and video footage of him, from rival:

[url=http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=42025#stats]James Hardy - College Football[/url]

Bishop Hammer 02-21-2008 11:40 AM

[QUOTE=GTripp0012;424190]I mean, there's no reason a guy like Mix should be overvalued, in fact he's got all the qualities of an underrated player, but the fanbase has gone insane with expectation over him.[/QUOTE]

IAWTP, until Mix shows something I do not think it is prudent to anoit him the "savior" at wide reciever.

SkinsFanSince91 02-21-2008 12:10 PM

[QUOTE=That Guy;424201]kelly wont be there at 21 and i don't think sweed's a great risk to take, since he never had great years and he got a lot of stats off teams like rice.

I think jackson is the safe bet, and kelly's a longer shot, but still viable... after that it looks mainly like #2's and depth, though i guess you never know.

meanwhile, the DT/DE talent in the first round is CRAZY and that happens to be a huge need for us anyways.

i think we'll probably go DE/CB, DE/DT, CB/DL, or DL/WR in the draft right now. if the CB is cromartie or porter, i'm happy with that... the 2nd round WR would be devin thomas in all likelyhood. i'd also really like phillips, but honestly, griffin or zbikowski are 3rd rounders and would still provide a good upgrade there, while letting us get more total starting talent by getting a core #1 CB or DL guy.[/QUOTE]

None of these guys you all are talkin about will be there @ #21. Maybe Sweed, cuz his stock is falling rapidly. Either way you look at it, we'd be retarded to go WR in the 1st. James HArdy maybe, cuz he looks great, but I'd still be upset if he was drafted and we need help in so many othe areas. PLus, wr's 1st round contract are harder to reach and cost more that most other positions.

NO WR IN THE 1ST!!!!!!