Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What are your thoughts on drafting a WR with our first round pick? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22560)

skinsfan_nn 02-14-2008 05:57 PM

What are your thoughts on drafting a WR with our first round pick?

With us apparently in the market for a big WR, how would you feel about going after a WR in the first round?

With talent like Malcolm Kelly or even (Limas Sweed, but likely he will fall into the 2nd round) possibly right there at the #21 spot in the first round. Kelly had a really good college career and both great size 6'4", 215-220 lb range.

[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=174567"]ESPN - Malcolm Kelly Stats, News, Photos - Oklahoma Sooners - NCAA College Football[/URL]

[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=145643"]ESPN - Limas Sweed Stats, News, Photos - Texas Longhorns - NCAA College Football[/URL]

Slingin Sammy 33 02-14-2008 06:01 PM

Re: What our your thoughts on drafting a WR with out first round pick?

Don't think it's a good idea. We have more pressing needs at CB & DE that could be addressed with the 1st pick.

Teams can be successful in the WCO without a dominant WR (Green Bay, Philly, Seattle). There are FA options also; DJ Hackett, Bryant Johnson. Mix may develop.

Dirtbag59 02-14-2008 06:08 PM

As of today the bandwagon I'm on is try to sign either Jerry Porter or Javon Walker (if he gets released) then use the draft on DL and OLine. Also open to the possibility of taking a linebacker on the first day. However knowing Synder we're probably going to give a first and third for CJ and draft a DE in the second.

dcweldon 02-14-2008 06:08 PM

OFFENSIVE LINE. No bones about it. You can't win a championship without a healthy offensive line.

wilsowilso 02-14-2008 07:07 PM

With our history of drafting receivers I would have to say beware of that position.

SmootSmack 02-14-2008 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=wilsowilso;422346]With our history of drafting receivers I would have to say beware of that position.[/QUOTE]

Not just our history, but NFL history. When's the last time a receiver drafted in the first round made an immediate impact on the team's success? I'm not talking about having a great season (Boldin), I'm just talking about getting a team to the next level.

I think you can get solid receivers in the 2nd round and beyond

FRPLG 02-14-2008 07:31 PM

Re: What our your thoughts on drafting a WR with our first round pick?

Drafting WRs is the absolute WORST idea. Even great WRs almost always take time to adjust. It is easier to draft imapct linemen and use FA for skill position players. Especially in the case of WRs. I will be pissed if we draft a WR.

mooby 02-14-2008 07:44 PM

As long as we don't trade a first and a third for C.J. I'm good. I really think bringing him in would be a horrible idea, and we'd give up two draft picks to do it. As for taking a wide receiver in the first round, I'd rather go defensive end mainly because as others have pointed out almost nobody makes an impact at wide receiver in their first season, save for a guy like Marques Colston, but even he didn't have that huge of an impact.

Soup's Uncle 02-14-2008 07:46 PM

Yeah, we need OL, DL, DB...we can fick up a sweet big reciever as a FA

Bozzy 02-14-2008 07:47 PM

OFFENSIVE LINE!!!!!!

MPNRedskins 02-14-2008 07:51 PM

O-line first, then either DE or something in the D-backfield (CB, SS, FS). There will be some good quality WR's in FA and the draft. Plus, we need to give Anthony Mix a chance to prove himself. He did play with Campbell at Auburn, which could mean great production from those two. Campbell is coming into his own and Mix could develop into a productive wideout. Just my thoughts.

dmek25 02-14-2008 09:15 PM

Re: What are your thoughts on drafting a WR with our first round pick?

we need line help on both sides of the ball. just say no to a wide out

EARTHQUAKE2689 02-14-2008 09:22 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;422351]Not just our history, but NFL history. When's the last time a receiver drafted in the first round made an immediate impact on the team's success? I'm not talking about having a great season (Boldin), I'm just talking about getting a team to the next level.

I think you can get solid receivers in the 2nd round and beyond[/quote]

Good point u never know it could be Freedie Mitchell/Rod Gardner or it could be Randy Moss, u just never know

skinsnut 02-14-2008 09:56 PM

bad idea

Ruhskins 02-14-2008 10:11 PM

I must say I was on the CJ bandwagon, but I just get the sense that A) the Bengals won't change their mind, just to stick it to Ocho Cinco or B) the Bengals will bait Danny to give up two picks (as someone said 1st and 3rd) and will overpay CJ.

GTripp0012 02-14-2008 10:39 PM

It...would be a much better idea than taking one with the 6th overall pick.

That said, receiver is the one position where we are very, very deep. No issue there, so no solution is necessary.

T.O.Killa 02-14-2008 10:47 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;422429]It...would be a much better idea than taking one with the 6th overall pick.

That said, receiver is the one position where we are very, very deep. No issue there, so no solution is necessary.[/quote]
I agree, our recievers would be alot better if our quarterback plays better. That starts with protection, which means improving the Oline first.

Skinny Tee 02-14-2008 10:52 PM

No. We need to build our team around strong off. and def. lines.

Enough addressing of the skill positions, we need to plant the seed at the core of our team.

SBXVII 02-14-2008 11:12 PM

I would say no. We picked up a WR from the Giants who is supposed to be the next T.O. possibly. If we need a WR I would rather go with one that has experience like CJ were you know the player will contribute and can teach Mix. Why take a shot in the dark in the draft when we have bad tallent scouts when it comes to WR in the first round.

If the plan for the draft was to use the 1st round spot for a WR then trade for CJ if it was to be used for another position then forget CJ and look at other FA.

Daseal 02-14-2008 11:48 PM

I don't think that drafting a WR is a good idea. WRs have a high bust rate, and take multiple years to develop into the studs we see today. There are just too many problems grooming a young WR. I'd love to see us take some mid round projects, but not 1st rounders that we invest a ton of money into.

celts32 02-15-2008 10:57 AM

I would not unless the value players at our other needs are not available when we pick. WR's tend to take 2 or 3 years before you get anything out of them. I think the pick should be DL, CB or OL.

SkinsFanSince91 02-15-2008 01:02 PM

I wouldn't take a wr first only because as a team we have hefty part of our salary cap at WR already, and it would be foolish to load up there.

Had that not been the case, then i twould appear more feasible that it is now.

I like Sweed, Kelly, and James Hardy, but we can get a WR who can do just as much in the later rounds.

prinzeofmoval 02-16-2008 02:19 AM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;422351]Not just our history, but NFL history. When's the last time a receiver drafted in the first round made an immediate impact on the team's success? I'm not talking about having a great season (Boldin), I'm just talking about getting a team to the next level.

I think you can get solid receivers in the 2nd round and beyond[/QUOTE]

i would have to say 1998 when minnesota drafted a little knowed fellow by the name of Randy Moss at 21 team did win 15 games that year..how about Torri Holt 6th pick of the greatest show on turf that years super bowl champs..Reggie wayne in 2000..braylon edwards(default to injury)in 05 made his team a contender for the upcoming year...ite exception not the rule i know but its how and who you draft..They has been more QB bust then any other position but that didn't stop us from picking a stud like Campbell in the 1st.

EternalEnigma21 02-16-2008 02:24 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;422351]Not just our history, but NFL history. When's the last time a receiver drafted in the first round made an immediate impact on the team's success? I'm not talking about having a great season (Boldin), I'm just talking about getting a team to the next level.

I think you can get solid receivers in the 2nd round and beyond[/quote]

that's kinda one of my reasons for jamaal charles. running backs can have the quickest impact on a team. Even though we don't have any glaring needs at RB, it may be nice to have a young fresh fast home run hitter.

Also, I'd like to look at jacob hester if he's coming out, and owen schmidt for a fullback option, even though they won't be first rounders if they're even coming out this year...

Texanskin 02-16-2008 02:54 AM

simple: hell no
DE should be 1st pick. Daniels is old. Look at what the giants did if you dont
believe me!!!

Longtimefan 02-16-2008 03:55 AM

A big wide receiver is going to be a priority, just don't know if one is going to be considered in the first round.

Both lines need to be addressed, CB, LB, and S are areas needing depth and upgrading.
Cerrato said he's looking for a D-lineman who can get consistent push up the middle, and a back-up FB to mike Sellers. He seems to like Owen Schmitt the big FB from WV who is a local kid from Fairfax Va. and is interested in working him out.

A caller asked Vinny on Redskins Radio about the DE position, and he quickly pointed out AC had 101/2 sacks last year, PD & CW combined for another 10. It would apear he feels that that's sufficient production from the DE position, and chose to concentrate more on a player inside that can provide more push in the middle. He did not however rule out seeking help for the DE position in the draft.

TheSmurfs22 02-16-2008 07:45 AM

I think we can find an WR outside of the draft. The Skins need to concentrate on the O'line, finding another pass rusher, CB or SS, FS.

Skinsfan1967 02-16-2008 07:53 AM

[QUOTE=SBXVII;422442]I would say no. We picked up a WR from the Giants who is supposed to be the next T.O. possibly. If we need a WR I would rather go with one that has experience like CJ were you know the player will contribute and can teach Mix. Why take a shot in the dark in the draft when we have bad tallent scouts when it comes to WR in the first round.

If the plan for the draft was to use the 1st round spot for a WR then trade for CJ if it was to be used for another position then forget CJ and look at other FA.[/QUOTE]

Anthony Mix. He has already given us some excitement on special teams, is a big WR and was Jason's favorite target in college. Why use a draft pick on a need already addressed?

skinsfan_nn 02-16-2008 10:53 AM

[quote=Skinsfan1967;422837]Anthony Mix. He has already given us some excitement on special teams, is a big WR and was Jason's favorite target in college. Why use a draft pick on a need already addressed?[/quote]

How is the need already addressed we haven't even seen Mix catch one ball at WR for the Skins? I also like what I witnessed on teams from Mix but excitement on teams and making it in this league as as starting quality WR are two different things. So I'm interested to see how he does in camp, but this young man went undrafted. And was thought to go late in the 7th round. His college stats are very weak, he played both TE/WR at Auburn.

So to think Mix is going to be the next big possession WR in the NFL is quite a stretch to say the least.

[URL="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2006/draft/players/598.html"]SI.com - 2006 NFL Draft - Anthony Mix[/URL]

[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=128173"]ESPN - Anthony Mix Stats, News, Photos - Auburn Tigers - NCAA College Football[/URL]

That Guy 02-16-2008 01:41 PM

WR would be a huge mistake, since they might not even start for two years. besides being a high miss position, we have bigger needs at DE (and possibly DB), and the FA market may have 3 great pickups available via trade (CJ/williams/fitz).

That Guy 02-16-2008 01:42 PM

[quote=skinsfan_nn;422863]How is the need already addressed we haven't even seen Mix catch one ball at WR for the Skins? I also like what I witnessed on teams from Mix but excitement on teams and making it in this league as as starting quality WR are two different things. So I'm interested to see how he does in camp, but this young man went undrafted. And was thought to go late in the 7th round. His college stats are very weak, he played both TE/WR at Auburn.

So to think Mix is going to be the next big possession WR in the NFL is quite a stretch to say the least.

[URL="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2006/draft/players/598.html"]SI.com - 2006 NFL Draft - Anthony Mix[/URL]

[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=128173"]ESPN - Anthony Mix Stats, News, Photos - Auburn Tigers - NCAA College Football[/URL][/quote]

yeah, i'm getting REALLY tired of hearing "but we have mix" too. 6'5" doesn't mean you can play.

skinsfan_nn 02-19-2008 09:55 PM

[quote=That Guy;422929]yeah, i'm getting REALLY tired of hearing "but we have mix" too. 6'5" doesn't mean you can play.[/quote]

We've seen that tall doesn't always convert into success. Michael Westbrook & Rod Garner both come into mind. Also both drafted in the 1st round of the draft, I believe MW was a 4th pick overall in the first round in around 95. Neither worked out very well.

I'd like to see if this Mix kid has anything (but I don't expect much), but I would think if the team thought they had what they where looking for in the big possession wide out (in Mix) on the roster, we wouldn't be in the market.

Campbell17 02-19-2008 10:56 PM

Are you from Detroit? If we did id want manningham, but I dont. IMO we have to many bigger priorities.

GTripp0012 02-19-2008 11:52 PM

[quote=That Guy;422929]yeah, i'm getting REALLY tired of hearing "but we have mix" too. 6'5" doesn't mean you can play.[/quote]I mean, there's no reason a guy like Mix should be overvalued, in fact he's got all the qualities of an underrated player, but the fanbase has gone insane with expectation over him.

That Guy 02-20-2008 01:37 AM

kelly wont be there at 21 and i don't think sweed's a great risk to take, since he never had great years and he got a lot of stats off teams like rice.

I think jackson is the safe bet, and kelly's a longer shot, but still viable... after that it looks mainly like #2's and depth, though i guess you never know.

meanwhile, the DT/DE talent in the first round is CRAZY and that happens to be a huge need for us anyways.

i think we'll probably go DE/CB, DE/DT, CB/DL, or DL/WR in the draft right now. if the CB is cromartie or porter, i'm happy with that... the 2nd round WR would be devin thomas in all likelyhood. i'd also really like phillips, but honestly, griffin or zbikowski are 3rd rounders and would still provide a good upgrade there, while letting us get more total starting talent by getting a core #1 CB or DL guy.

Redskin 02-20-2008 04:49 AM

I think we have plenty of recievers we have much more pressing matters elsewhere that need to be attended to first

mauiRedskinbarn 02-20-2008 04:59 AM

There are going to be very good WR in free agency weather in be Wilford, Bryant Johnson, Javon Walker, moss, muhammad, Porter, etc. All these guys coulb make an immediate impact. Pick up one of these guys, keep Caldwell, (maybe thrash), and draft a guy in the later rounds, this years draft is stacked with high talent at WR, we could get a gem on the 2nd day maybe, if not at least we got Espy and Mix coming up. then go for d-line and db's with the 1st 2 picks possibly 3 picks

Bishop Hammer 02-21-2008 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=Dirtbag359;422329][B]As of today the bandwagon I'm on is try to sign either Jerry Porter[/B] or Javon Walker (if he gets released) then use the draft on DL and OLine. Also open to the possibility of taking a linebacker on the first day. However knowing Synder we're probably going to give a first and third for CJ and draft a DE in the second.[/QUOTE]

I would like to sign Porter as well. I do not think the Skins will use their first round pick on a wide reciever but they may use it in the second round; James Hardy would be a perfect candidate to draft with that pick, in my opinion. He 6'7(the tall reciever that Campbell would covet), quick, and has good hands.

Here are some stats and video footage of him, from rival:

[url=http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=42025#stats]James Hardy - College Football[/url]

Bishop Hammer 02-21-2008 11:40 AM

[QUOTE=GTripp0012;424190]I mean, there's no reason a guy like Mix should be overvalued, in fact he's got all the qualities of an underrated player, but the fanbase has gone insane with expectation over him.[/QUOTE]

IAWTP, until Mix shows something I do not think it is prudent to anoit him the "savior" at wide reciever.

SkinsFanSince91 02-21-2008 12:10 PM

[QUOTE=That Guy;424201]kelly wont be there at 21 and i don't think sweed's a great risk to take, since he never had great years and he got a lot of stats off teams like rice.

I think jackson is the safe bet, and kelly's a longer shot, but still viable... after that it looks mainly like #2's and depth, though i guess you never know.

meanwhile, the DT/DE talent in the first round is CRAZY and that happens to be a huge need for us anyways.

i think we'll probably go DE/CB, DE/DT, CB/DL, or DL/WR in the draft right now. if the CB is cromartie or porter, i'm happy with that... the 2nd round WR would be devin thomas in all likelyhood. i'd also really like phillips, but honestly, griffin or zbikowski are 3rd rounders and would still provide a good upgrade there, while letting us get more total starting talent by getting a core #1 CB or DL guy.[/QUOTE]

None of these guys you all are talkin about will be there @ #21. Maybe Sweed, cuz his stock is falling rapidly. Either way you look at it, we'd be retarded to go WR in the 1st. James HArdy maybe, cuz he looks great, but I'd still be upset if he was drafted and we need help in so many othe areas. PLus, wr's 1st round contract are harder to reach and cost more that most other positions.

NO WR IN THE 1ST!!!!!!