Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My worst Fear: V Cerrato Running the Redskins (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22588)

skins009 02-17-2008 10:12 AM

My worst Fear: V Cerrato Running the Redskins

Dear Skins fans I'm afraid my worst fear in the football world has come true, Vinny Cerrato is now running the redskins (even though Synder is really running things). A quick summary of Cerrato's brillant decisions these last 4 years.

Signing Mark Brunnel
Trading Champ Baily AND A 2Nd ROUND Pick for Clinton Portis
Giving Brandon Lloyd a massive contract
Not only signing Archuletta but also feeling the need to give him the biggest contract ever for a safety at the time
Extending Jon Jansen's contract at a time when Jansen literally couldn't block me coming of the edge

Furthermore the way you judge is personnel person is how he drafts in the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th rounds. IT's hear that personnel people really get their teams ahead by spotting talent that other teams have missed. The fact is tha Cerrato can't claim to ever really finding any quality players in these rounds. I very often hear some redskis fans say, but wait cerrato drafted Sean Taylor, "that was a good pick." This is dumb because when your picking 5th overall you supposed to find a good player. Anybody could look at the tape of Taylor and know he was gonna he a good player. Its in the later rounds that GM's earn their paychecks. I will rip dan synder in another post. (he's a cancer to the organization)

skinsfan_nn 02-17-2008 10:18 AM

Re: My worst Fear: V Cerrato Running the Redskins

Is this breaking news or something? :bdh:

NYCskinfan82 02-17-2008 10:20 AM

it is what it is VC is running the team, u r absolutely right 4th, 5th and the later rounds is were u earn your money and show your value. if we can get BL to re due his contract i think we should give him one more chance under the new regime

MTK 02-17-2008 10:26 AM

Yeah let's be objective and just point out the mistakes. Brilliant.

HGale 02-17-2008 10:31 AM

There have been some success stories, but I would have to agree that the blunders far outweigh the successful acquistions. Everyone makes mistakes, but what Id like to see is the front office actually learning from those mistakes. Check this out Bram's recent interview with Cerrato, Id post the link but Ive only got 8 posts.

charlielyons 02-17-2008 10:38 AM

[quote=skins009;423219]Dear Skins fans I'm afraid my worst fear in the football world has come true, Vinny Cerrato is now running the redskins (even though Synder is really running things). A quick summary of Cerrato's brillant decisions these last 4 years.

Signing Mark Brunnel
Not only signing Archuletta but also feeling the need to give him the biggest contract ever for a safety at the time
Extending Jon Jansen's contract at a time when Jansen literally couldn't block me coming of the edge

Furthermore the way you judge is personnel person is how he drafts in the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th rounds. IT's hear that personnel people really get their teams ahead by spotting talent that other teams have missed. The fact is tha Cerrato can't claim to ever really finding any quality players in these rounds. I very often hear some redskis fans say, but wait cerrato drafted Sean Taylor, "that was a good pick." This is dumb because when your picking 5th overall you supposed to find a good player. Anybody could look at the tape of Taylor and know he was gonna he a good player. Its in the later rounds that GM's earn their paychecks. I will rip dan synder in another post. (he's a cancer to the organization)[/quote]
i believe gibbs was the one who wanted MB. he took him to the hospital in floridia, and fell in love with his faith

Skins4Life101 02-17-2008 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=charlielyons;423226]i believe gibbs was the one who wanted MB. he took him to the hospital in floridia, and fell in love with his faith[/QUOTE]

I'm indifferent on the Clinton Portis and Champ thing...

I mean he is giving us some good yards behind a bandaid O-Line. Imagine what he could do with some consistency up front. I mean, we WERE ONE O-lineman (Randy Thomas) from going to the NFC Championship a couple years ago (Seattle Game). His loss shut down 30-40% of our running plays; if not more.

So we all saw what he did in Denver with consistent a consistent O-Line, and his effect on the field is more potent than Champ.

Sorry... RB over a DB any day.

HGale 02-17-2008 10:49 AM

[QUOTE=Skins4Life101;423227]I'm indifferent on the Clinton Portis and Champ thing...

I mean he is giving us some good yards behind a bandaid O-Line. Imagine what he could do with some consistency up front. I mean, we WERE ONE O-lineman (Randy Thomas) from going to the NFC Championship a couple years ago (Seattle Game). His loss shut down 30-40% of our running plays; if not more.

So we all saw what he did in Denver with consistent a consistent O-Line, and his effect on the field is more potent than Champ.

Sorry... RB over a DB any day.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but what about top five RB vs. top 3 corner AND a 2nd round pick. The thrown in draft pick is what made that a bad deal IMO.

Giantone 02-17-2008 10:54 AM

I was Gibbs that drafted Taylor and went after MB.

Daseal 02-17-2008 10:57 AM

[quote]Dear Skins fans I'm afraid my worst fear in the football world has come true, Vinny Cerrato is now running the redskins (even though Synder is really running things). A quick summary of Cerrato's brillant decisions these last 4 years.

Signing Mark Brunnel

Furthermore the way you judge is personnel person is how he drafts in the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th rounds. IT's hear that personnel people really get their teams ahead by spotting talent that other teams have missed. The fact is tha Cerrato can't claim to ever really finding any quality players in these rounds. I very often hear some redskis fans say, but wait cerrato drafted Sean Taylor, "that was a good pick." This is dumb because when your picking 5th overall you supposed to find a good player. Anybody could look at the tape of Taylor and know he was gonna he a good player. Its in the later rounds that GM's earn their paychecks. I will rip dan synder in another post. (he's a cancer to the organization)[/quote]

I think you're a bit twisted here. First of all, when it comes to Mark Brunell, that contract goes completely on Gibbs. He admitted that he went after him, he went to visit him in Jacksonville, and he wanted him bad. Why blame that on Cerrato. From what I've read, Cerrato has been nothing more than a glorified scout for quite some time now. The coaches tell them who they want, and then they go after that player.

I will say, I hate that we gave up Champ and a 2nd for Portis. I thought a shutdown corner for a very good running back favored Denver already. However, it's not like we had a choice. Bailey wanted out of DC, and wanted out bad. So we didn't have a very strong hand to play. Had Bailey not come out in the media -- we may have gotten a 2nd pick. Part of the reasoning was Denver had to take a large contract of Champ's.

When it comes to Jansen, at the point didn't his "new contract" actually favor the skins to get them salary cap relief? I'm pretty sure it did.

The real issue here is whoever is developing contracts has fooled you. Huge numbers mean NOTHING in the NFL. I can toss a $100,000,000 contract at someone, and have them reap very little in actual financial rewards. Large contracts are a bragging point for agents, but rarely do players besides the cream of the crop players (Manning, Brady, etc, etc) see much of that. Look at the signing bonus -- and that's what players are getting paid.

Really? People can't miss with the #5 pick? I disagree. Teams miss on top 5 picks in the first round often -- and that is very costly. Id rather do very well in the first round and fail in later rounds than the other way around. Let's look at some top 5 picks that didn't work out so well: Cedric Benson, Robert Gallery, Charles Rodgers, Carr, Harrington, Courtney Brown, LaVar Arrington, Peter Warrick, Couch, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf. That's just a few of the top 5 picks going back 10 years that failed in the top 5 picks. There may be more, some of the names I didn't recognize thus didn't want to wrongly accuse.

We have found SOME gems in the late rounds. Hyer looks great, Montgomery looks beast, Golston plays well, and we have tons of players drafted then playing great on teams. But let's see, we get Cooley who is a premier TE in the 3rd round? That's pretty well. Is our system perfect, not at all -- is it at least run of the pack -- yes.

Listen -- there was an article that I really believe (DGreens blog I believe). Snyder wants more responsibility. That's why he hired coordinators first. He doesn't want people to be able to hide behind everything. In the Gibbs era -- everything was muddled. Who called the offense? Who picked players? etc etc. I think the new position of Cerrato is good. If he doesn't get it done, he will be gone. If he does well, he deserves the praise of Redskins fans.

Daseal 02-17-2008 10:59 AM

[quote]I was Gibbs that drafted Taylor and went after MB.[/quote]

Close -- Portis and Taylor sent Gibbs a fruit basket apparently, but Greg Williams begged Gibbs to draft Taylor. Gibbs reportedly wanted KWII. Lucky for us, we were in a can't miss situation, but we made the right choice.

celts32 02-17-2008 11:03 AM

Vinny being in control is a good thing. He's on the clock now...if he fails he goes if he wins he stays. He can't hide in the background and survive one house cleaning after another now. At least that's my hope.

Defensewins 02-17-2008 11:07 AM

Skins 009-
I fully agree with you about our poor draft record in the later rounds. I have been upset about this and the fact we do not have a well regraded GM for years.
However my real issue with this subject is Dan Snyder's hypocrisy: Danny fires coaches (Marty) after one season because they did not produce or coach Williams because nobody knows? He cuts players when they do not produce. However he does not hold his Front Office accountable with the same kind of scrutiny?
It wasn't until Gibbs took over that we started to see some improvement.
The biggest sign of failure by our FO is the fact the we only have three players from 2001, 2002 and 2003 drafts: Fred Smoot, Ledell Betts and Rock Cartwright, not what I would call pro bowl caliber players. [B]Only three guys[/B]. Keep in mind [B]we were not a good team[/B] during these years:
2001 8-8
2002 7-9
2003 5-11

So please do not reply with we were a talented team so that is why draft picks did not make the team.
The truth is we have had some terrible drafts under Snyderatto. Why do they not get graded and dismissed from their player personnel responsibilities? My guess is ego. Danny wants to call all the shots and Cerratto is the only person that will take the job as second fiddle.

SmootSmack 02-17-2008 11:35 AM

What an ignorant, one-sided thread.

I'll give positive reputation points to anyone who rates this thread "terrible"

EARTHQUAKE2689 02-17-2008 11:38 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;423251]What an ignorant, one-sided thread.

I'll give positive reputation points to anyone who rates this thread "terrible"[/quote]

In the words of Charles Barkley "Just Terrible, simply Terrible"