Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Can Santana Moss be Wes Welker? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22602)

BeastsoftheNFCeast 02-19-2008 10:55 AM

Can Santana Moss be Wes Welker?

It seems to me that there arent many quality possesion recievers out on the market right now, just big play recievers. At first I thought that we shouldnt get these guys because Moss is our big play reciever, but then I got to thinking that Moss is kind of similar to Welker in that they are both very quick. So I was thinking that if we got a big play reciever ala CJ (even though this example prolly wont work out) CJ could be our randy moss and sanana moss could be our wes welker. Just a thought...please dont hate.

sbaughone 02-19-2008 11:01 AM

Re: Can Santana Moss be Wes Welker?

We sure as heck need somebody who is taller than 5'10".

Personally I say bring CJ on. But no first round picks please.

MTK 02-19-2008 11:02 AM

It would be a nice luxury to put Moss in the slot but I don't see it happening.

BeastsoftheNFCeast 02-19-2008 11:10 AM

My bad, I didnt fully express my question. I meant to also ask that if we could get someone of the skill of lets say...bernard berrian, could we make him our big play reciever and have moss be the slot.

QBall 02-19-2008 11:10 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;423901]It would be a nice luxury to put Moss in the slot but I don't see it happening.[/QUOTE]

RE slot. Moss needs to get involved very early and stay in our gameplan. Too often he wasn't even looked at and he did have some big drops for us last year. Hope we can bring in a tall guy and have 3 solid wideouts.

Not sure where we are going to find that WR though???

BleedBurgundy 02-19-2008 11:17 AM

ummm, yeah if he improved his hands 100% from last year. The slot is probably where he has belonged all along but we don't have the typical 1+2 wrs...

Schneed10 02-19-2008 11:23 AM

I think you move him around based on matchups and gameplan. Ideally we'd acquire a stud WR to team with Moss and ARE, and then you'd have the luxury of moving Moss and ARE in and out of the slot.

Without the ideal stud WR, I still think you move them around, but Moss generally belongs on the outside.

jamf 02-19-2008 11:25 AM

Without a doubt Santana Moss can outplay Welker in the same situation.

The real issues are:
Can Campbell play like brady?
Can the Oline block like the patriots?
Can Randle El draw a double/triple team like Moss?

skinsfan69 02-19-2008 11:27 AM

Welker is fearless going over the middle, doesn't drop passes and doesn't get hurt. So I would say no.

jbcjr14 02-19-2008 11:37 AM

I don't think so. I think Moss is a little too fragile to be that guy. Welker is a tough SOB and proved he can take a beating across the middle for a 16 game season. Moss can't stay healthy on the outside, let alone the slot!

skinsfan69 02-19-2008 11:48 AM

[quote=jamf;423916]Without a doubt Santana Moss can outplay Welker in the same situation.

The real issues are:
Can Campbell play like brady?
Can Randle El draw a double/triple team like Moss?[/quote]

No way in hell does SM outplay Welker. How would Moss hold up running all those patterns over the middle? He'd pull a groin within the first 5 games. He just can't take all the punishment running over the middle. Welker had something like 110 catches and the majority were right where the LB's roam. Moss is simply not that type of wr and never will be.

MTK 02-19-2008 11:49 AM

I always wondered why we got away from all the screens we threw to Moss and Cooley in 2005. We were probably the best screen team in the league that year. I wonder if Zorn's system will run anything similar.

Daseal 02-19-2008 11:53 AM

Personally, I just hope Zorn has a slant route in his offense.

skinsfan69 02-19-2008 11:55 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;423927]I always wondered why we got away from all the screens we threw to Moss and Cooley in 2005. We were probably the best screen team in the league that year. I wonder if Zorn's system will run anything similar.[/quote]

We didn't get away from it, teams simply adjusted to it.

MTK 02-19-2008 12:00 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;423929]We didn't get away from it, teams simply adjusted to it.[/quote]

Teams can adjust all they want but when properly excuted there's not much you can do. Maybe I missed it but we simply didn't run screens as much under Saunders.

MTK 02-19-2008 12:01 PM

[quote=Daseal;423928]Personally, I just hope Zorn has a slant route in his offense.[/quote]

If he does I hope we find a bigger WR to run them.

Monkeydad 02-19-2008 12:18 PM

No, Welker's a white dude.

I believe Moss would be great at that role IF he's not the #1 WR. If we get someone else like Chad Johnson, then we can use Moss on slants in the middle. We don't want to risk him if he's the #1, plus defenses will be targeting him anyways. If he's not the #1, they'll have to pay attention to someone else.

With our current roster, Randel El would be a guy to use in this role I'd think.

Campbell17 02-19-2008 12:27 PM

If we get Ocho-cinco look at our receiving corps: Ocho Cinco, Santana Moss, COOOLEY, Randle El, etc. We have better receivers than New England. Not to mention I think getting ochocinco would bring the best play out of moss because he is covered less than ochocinco. That is some of the reason welker was so good this year, everyone focused on moss. Think about it, what D will be able to cover ochocinco and moss as receivers, cooley at TE, and not to mention Portis and Betts on the ground. Our offense goes from good to outstanding. Our defense could use a little work and if we do that... SUPER BOWL! GO SKINS!!!

Monkeydad 02-19-2008 12:32 PM

Not even CJ would be required for us to use this strategy, just someone who can play the role of #1 WR.

Berrian, Randy Moss (not likely and I hope not), maybe even a sleeper like Bryant Johnson, D. J. Hackett or Andre Davis.

Who knows, maybe Randel El can be our #1. He certainly stepped up last season.

skinsfan69 02-19-2008 12:33 PM

[quote=Campbell17;423941]If we get Ocho-cinco look at our receiving corps: Ocho Cinco, Santana Moss, COOOLEY, Randle El, etc. We have better receivers than New England. Not to mention I think getting ochocinco would bring the best play out of moss because he is covered less than ochocinco. That is some of the reason welker was so good this year, everyone focused on moss. Think about it, what D will be able to cover ochocinco and moss as receivers, cooley at TE, and not to mention Portis and Betts on the ground. Our offense goes from good to outstanding. Our defense could use a little work and if we do that... SUPER BOWL! GO SKINS!!![/quote]

If we get #85 our wr's are still NOT BETTER than NE's.

R.Moss is better than #85. R.Moss is one of the best ever and is coming off setting a record for TD catches.
Welker is better than SM or ARE
Stallworth is about the same as SM and is better than ARE
Watson is just as good as Cooley. He just doesn't get the same amount of balls thrown his way.
NE has Brady and we don't.

Campbell17 02-19-2008 12:41 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;423944]If we get #85 our wr's are still NOT BETTER than NE's.

R.Moss is better than #85. R.Moss is one of the best ever and is coming of setting a record for TD passes.
Welker is better than SM or ARE
Stallworth is about the same as SM and is better than ARE
Watson is just as good as Cooley. He just doesn't get the same amount of balls thrown his way.
NE has Brady and we don't.[/quote]
Would we be #2?

Monkeydad 02-19-2008 12:42 PM

Stallworth is probably out the door with NE. They didn't pick up his contract and the Titans may be interested in him.

I think we'd have a better WR corp with the addition of Johnson.

CJ, Moss, ARE...plus we have quality depth in Thrash, McCardell, Caldwell and possibly Mix and/or Espy.

They'd have (the evil) Moss, Welker, but after that just Gaffney and Kelley Washington...no real depth past #2.

birdz4gibbs 02-19-2008 01:19 PM

[QUOTE=Buster;423938]No, Welker's a white dude.

I believe Moss would be great at that role IF he's not the #1 WR. If we get someone else like Chad Johnson, then we can use Moss on slants in the middle. We don't want to risk him if he's the #1, plus defenses will be targeting him anyways. If he's not the #1, they'll have to pay attention to someone else.

With our current roster, Randel El would be a guy to use in this role I'd think.[/QUOTE]

man buster you beat me to it but i was thinking the samething in reading all these posts..
i say RANDEL EL in the slot..

firstdown 02-19-2008 01:25 PM

What, Welker has not even been a starter for an entire year. He started like 4 games for the Dolphins and 13 games last year. Why is everyone here jumping on Welker for one good year and that was playing with the best WR to draw double coverage and Brady throwing him the ball. He may have ran across the middle but I don't recall him taking this bounding that people are taliking about. Maybe we need to see him start more than 17 games over 4 seasons before we crown him king of the hill.

Cooley1 02-19-2008 01:32 PM

[QUOTE=firstdown;423954]What, Welker has not even been a starter for an entire year. He started like 4 games for the Dolphins and 13 games last year. Why is everyone here jumping on Welker for one good year and that was playing with the best WR to draw double coverage and Brady throwing him the ball. He may have ran across the middle but I don't recall him taking this bounding that people are taliking about. Maybe we need to see him start more than 17 games over 4 seasons before we crown him king of the hill.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, most of the recent success should be credited to the system rather then the player. Dont get me wrong Welker is really good, but how good is he on an average middle of the pack team?????

skinsfan69 02-19-2008 01:35 PM

[quote=Campbell17;423946]Would we be #2?[/quote]

Nope.

BleedBurgundy 02-19-2008 01:39 PM

Welker didn't take a pounding because he was quick to fall down before he got beaten. Graduated from the Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce School of Career Extension.

skinsfan69 02-19-2008 01:42 PM

[quote=BleedBurgundy;423963]Welker didn't take a pounding because he was quick to fall down before he got beaten. Graduated from the Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce School of Career Extension.[/quote]

Nothing wrong with that. Anytime you catch 110+ balls you've got to know when to get down and know when to try and extend the play.

hail_2_da_skins 02-19-2008 01:45 PM

Let's not compare the Redskin passing attack to the Patriots. The Redskins are not in the same league as the Patriots. The Redskins only hope to be as efficient as the Patriots. The Patriots have Tom Brady, who now is arguably the best quarterback in the NFL. If you like Payton Manning or Brett Favre, I'm not going to argue with you, I respectfully disagree but Jason Campbell or Todd Collins is not in the same class. Campbell has all the potential but it hasn't been realized yet. Even if he was throwing to Randy Moss, Donte Stallworth and Wes Welker, he wouldn't put up the numbers Brady does. Hopefully under Zorn's tutelage he can develop into an effective quarterback just like Matt Hasselbeck. If the Redskins are going to dive in the free agent market, I like Bryant Johnson. I think he will be just as effective as Chad Johnson and he is younger and will be more affordable.

hail_2_da_skins 02-19-2008 01:50 PM

[quote=BleedBurgundy;423963]Welker didn't take a pounding because he was quick to fall down before he got beaten. Graduated from the Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce School of Career Extension.[/quote]

I love that comment! Being stuck here in St Louis, I know first hand how the Lambs avoid contact. I think Isaac Bruce perfected the technique and taught it to Torry Holt, who took it to another level.

JGisLordOfTheRings 02-19-2008 02:05 PM

[quote=Daseal;423928]Personally, I just hope Zorn has a slant route in his offense.[/quote]

Right! I agree that in 2005 we HAD to be one of the best screen teams ever. Remember the KC game? We lost but I think I remember SM taking a screen pass 70+ yards for a TD.

But, wtf, the 'Skins have run, like, 3 slant routes since JG came back. It always seemed that ARE was really good with the slant routes but IMO he's more of a slot type receiver as opposed to an outside guy.

I believe a big, tall, wideout that will actually CATCH what JC throws at him would be a godsend. Look at what Greg Jennings did for Favre this year! Didn't matter how bad the pass Favre threw was, that boy caught it anyway. That's what we need. An X-Factor type guy I guess. A big play guy. That would either free up Moss or ARE or BOTH on the outside and get Moss back to doing what he does best, smoke fools down the sidelines.

JGisLordOfTheRings 02-19-2008 02:08 PM

[quote=hail_2_da_skins;423970]I love that comment! Being stuck here in St Louis, I know first hand how the Lambs avoid contact. I think Isaac Bruce perfected the technique and taught it to Torry Holt, who took it to another level.[/quote]

Hahaha....that's too funny.

firstdown 02-19-2008 02:31 PM

[quote=Cooley1;423957]I agree with you, most of the recent success should be credited to the system rather then the player. Dont get me wrong Welker is really good, but how good is he on an average middle of the pack team?????[/quote]
I wasn't really pointing to the fact that it could be to the system but more so that he has only started in 17 games and 13 last year. If he can put up those number again next year then maybe he gets elevated as a very good WR but 17 games is not very much to judge him by. Heck if we only went by 17 games then JC needs to go.

Cooley1 02-19-2008 02:39 PM

[QUOTE=firstdown;423992]I wasn't really pointing to the fact that it could be to the system but more so that he has only started in 17 games and 13 last year. If he can put up those number again next year then maybe he gets elevated as a very good WR but 17 games is not very much to judge him by. Heck if we only went by 17 games then JC needs to go.[/QUOTE]

I should have put a period after "I agree with you". Because everything I wrote after that was based on my own thoughts of the player. I hear what you are saying as well and think he needs to show us more before we crown him!

staylor825 02-19-2008 02:55 PM

What do "IMO" mean

QBall 02-19-2008 02:59 PM

[QUOTE=staylor825;424009]What do "IMO" mean[/QUOTE]

In my opinion.

RobH4413 02-19-2008 03:02 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;423927][B]I always wondered why we got away from all the screens we threw to Moss and Cooley in 2005.[/B] We were probably the best screen team in the league that year. I wonder if Zorn's system will run anything similar.[/quote]
Agree with you here...

We perfected the screen. Remember the KC game where Santana took a couple of them for huge gains?

We molded a great deal of our offense around the screen, and the fake screen. It's also a great play when you've got lineman as athletic as we do, and a gadget guy like ARE. I'm def on the "bring back the screen" bandwagon.

EDIT: looks like JGlordoftherings beat me to it.

Dirtbag59 02-19-2008 03:03 PM

[quote=jamf;423916]
[/quote]

I hope not. Our offense is predicated on the running game and if you remember the Patriots running game struggled throughout the year. They were great at pass protection but sometimes I wonder if the emphasis on passing the ball took time out of practice to go over run blocking.

Also Santana Moss is just as good as Wes Welker, and in my opinion, probably better. Wes Welker has never had a 1,400+ yard season as far as I can recall. Plus Welker just had his best season as a #2 catching passes from Tom Brady. On top of that Moss had his 1,400 yard season catching balls from Mark Brunell.

staylor825 02-19-2008 03:04 PM

Thanks Qball

hagams 02-19-2008 03:06 PM

Can Moss be Welker for us?---No.

We don't really have any other big WR threats. I like the idea of getting a big n' strong WR to play 1st WR, Randle El in the Slot, and Moss as the #2. He would be playing lesser skilled CB's, and that would allow Randle El to make the moves he likes to do over the middle. I still think he's one of more explosive guys.
But, like it was said above, we need the passer and the O-line to play big before anything else can happen.