Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Which Current NFL Receiver Is Best for Us? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22618)

SmootSmack 02-20-2008 08:08 PM

Which Current NFL Receiver Is Best for Us?

Considering the free agents and most rumored trade possibilities, which current NFL receiver do you think is the best for the Redskins?

Now this could mean someone who you project to be the perfect #1 receiver and slide a current WR on our team to #2, it could mean the perfect #2 with Moss staying at #1, etc.

Case in point, TO Killa makes the point that Bryant Johnson is a good fit because he believes we don't a top receiver, all we need is a solid possession guy.

Now, when making your pick disregard trade implications, salary cap. This is simply about what WR, if we dropped him right into our current roster, would have the most success on our team and in be the best option to help the team win.

Dirtbag59 02-20-2008 08:11 PM

Re: Which Current NFL Receiver Is Best for Us?

[quote=SmootSmack;424456]Considering the free agents and most rumored trade possibilities, which current NFL receiver do you think is the best for the Redskins?

[/quote]

So right now the front runners would be Chad Johnson, Roy Williams, Javon Walker, Bryant Johnson, DJ Hacket, Bernard Berrian, Earnest Wilford, Malcom Kelly, Limas Sweed, Jordy Nelson, and Devin Thomas.

Out of that group I'd like to take a shot at Roy Williams. He's the most proven, still in his prime, and we wouldn't have to give up a first and a third to get him. After that Javon Walker since he has WCO experience, Elite WR experience, and still might be in his prime. Plus he would only cost us the value of whatever we sign him for.

SmootSmack 02-20-2008 08:11 PM

[QUOTE=Dirtbag359;424458]So right now the front runners would be Chad Johnson, Roy Williams, Bryant Johnson, DJ Hacket, Bernard Berrian, Earnest Wilford, Malcom Kelly, Limas Sweed, Jordy Nelson, and Devin Thomas.[/QUOTE]

Kelly, Sweed, Nelson, and Thomas aren't currently in the NFL

EternalEnigma21 02-20-2008 08:12 PM

of all those guys I'd have to say williams. He's got the size we lack and outstanding athleticism. He's a very versatile, fast, physical receiver.

Dirtbag59 02-20-2008 08:15 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;424459]Kelly, Sweed, Nelson, and Thomas aren't currently in the NFL[/quote]

Alright I get the game now. [SIZE=1]Didn't have to quote me now I can't change it, rabble rabble rabble complain complain complain. [/SIZE]

diehardskin2982 02-20-2008 08:26 PM

If there is a chance to get Chad Johnson, we get him. The trio of Randle el, Moss, and Johnson would cause nightmares. Not to mention Cooley and the run game. How do you stop that? Also why no Randy Moss

Dirtbag59 02-20-2008 08:29 PM

[quote=diehardskin2982;424465]If there is a chance to get Chad Johnson, we get him. The trio of Randle el, Moss, and Johnson would cause nightmares. Not to mention Cooley and the run game. How do you stop that? Also why no Randy Moss[/quote]

Actually I'd go so far to argue that on average you only get 3 out of 4 of those guys per game given the history of injuries among Moss and Randle El.

FRPLG 02-20-2008 08:31 PM

Roy Williams without a doubt. I have loved the guy since he came into the league. He is big and physical and is probably in the group right under the top guys. If healthy he'd be our #1 by a long shot. Move Santana to #2 in 2-wide and the slot in 3-wide with ARE at #2 and I think we have a good to great corps. The rest of the guys are all pieces, and some good at that but Wiliams is the one who could be a stud if used right.

I am ignoring CJ because if given the choice between him and Williams then I'd take the slightly less talented but less of a distraction guy 10 times out of 10.

Dirtbag59 02-20-2008 08:34 PM

[quote=FRPLG;424467]Roy Williams without a doubt. I have loved the guy since he came into the league. He is big and physical and is probably in the group right under the top guys. If healthy he'd be our #1 by a long shot. Move Santana to #2 in 2-wide and the slot in 3-wide with ARE at #2 and I think we have a good to great corps. The rest of the guys are all pieces, and some good at that but Wiliams is the one who could be a stud if used right.

I am ignoring CJ because if given the choice between him and Williams then I'd take the slightly less talented but less of a distraction guy 10 times out of 10.[/quote]

Ha ha, I can see it now. Moss deep post, Roy with the 15 yard dig, Randle El with the drag, and Cooley to the corner.

rypper11 02-20-2008 09:01 PM

It's a toss up between Johnson and Williams. I'm leaning towards to Bryant Johnson because I think he is a better downfield blocker. Both are great route runners and would be great here. As for Chad, he is one of my favorite players and I love watching him play. But for someone else.

NYCskinfan82 02-20-2008 09:04 PM

Roy Williams i just don't want 2 give up 2 much 4 him

XXVI 02-20-2008 09:06 PM

Fitzgerald.

diehardskin2982 02-20-2008 09:10 PM

[QUOTE=Dirtbag359;424466]Actually I'd go so far to argue that on average you only get 3 out of 4 of those guys per game given the history of injuries among Moss and Randle El.[/QUOTE]

you could say the same thing with Williams for that matter

That Guy 02-20-2008 09:27 PM

CJ fitz or williams are the best options... draftees aren't proven, and johnson/wilford didn't really flash much as starters.

i still like CJ, but roy might be an easier fit. chemistry, contract and trade value vs on field production really favors him the most. the question posed asked us to ignore most of that, and in that case, CJ is clearly a step ahead of the rest.

Slingin Sammy 33 02-20-2008 09:47 PM

Roy Williams, head & shoulders above the rest. He is a true #1, big, physical, fast, a threat everywhere on the field. The guy missed 3 games in 2007 (the fourth was due to the final game not meaning anything), 3 games in 2005 and 2 in his rookie season. Hardly a major injury concern. If we need to give up a 2nd rounder or less and give him a new contract, do it.

I am torn between Hackett and Johnson. Hackett is dynamic and possibly a superstar about to happen, but the recurring ankle injury is a concern. Johnson is bigger & stronger, not as dynamic, but stays in the line-up. He can be a solid red zone threat or a #2 / possesion type WR. Due to our situation (Zorn, WCO, Vinny's comments about "players the coaches are familiar with"), indicates that Redskins 1 will be landing at midnight in Seattle (it may stop in Chicago first to get Briggs).

skinsfan_nn 02-20-2008 09:58 PM

Since Randy Moss isn't a option, and him and Tom Brady are a pair......I guess we can't land him, or can we? Second choice, Roy Williams.

GMScud 02-20-2008 10:19 PM

Well, the question is which receiver is "best" for us, and I would have to say DJ Hackett. Best being a relative term here of course. He's not the best receiving talent on that list, but he is the best for us for a few reasons IMO:

He's been working with Zorn since he came into the league. He can step right into the offense and help speed up the learning curve for ARE and Moss.

He has good size at 6-2 208, and could be an over the middle possession weapon from the WR position. Usually Cooley has to handle that role himself.

He won't be expensive. He's a free agent so we don't have to give to get, and he won't command big money. Our cap situation is always a little dicey, so this would help if he can be productive.

He would take a little pressure off the need to draft a WR in the first round, allowing us more picks to focus on O and D line and maybe a d-back or two.

DJ Hackett certainly isn't the best WR on that list, but I think he's the best for us at this point. It would be pretty awesome to have Roy Williams in the burgundy and gold though.

GTripp0012 02-20-2008 10:21 PM

DJ Hackett has now had three years where he's been above average. Considering that we wouldn't have to sell the farm to get him, and that he could come in as the no. 3 and develop into the no. 1 (potentially), he's the guy.

Ernest Wilford is a close second for similar reasons.

Dirtbag59 02-20-2008 10:23 PM

Personally I'm starting to like Hacket. Not only will the guy fill a need, but he's also has an easier learning curve then anyone else they we would bring in at his level.

And among the second teir WR's, Hacket is the best. Originally I didn't like him but that was before I learned that the guy missed as many games as he did. Still would like to get Williams for a 2nd round pick if the Redskins are planning on using that pick to draft a WR. Hell if it doesn't work out we could at least make a play for Roy Williams in Free Agency next year and that would only cost us the value of his contract.

I'm also hopeful that Malcom Kelly will fall to us but it would be great to see a DT or DE, CB or S, and OL go to us in the first three rounds.

EDIT: Damn, never realized how big the guy was. Looks like a Tight End in the first few pics
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhTixFJha-M]YouTube - D.J Hackett Tribute[/url]

MTK 02-21-2008 08:40 AM

Hackett.

He's young (26) and has good size (6-2, 208). He's also shown that when given the chance he can put up big numbers (in a 4 game stretch in the starting lineup last year he put up 27-336-3).

Plus he's familiar with Zorn and should be able to step right into this offense. The only downside is he's had problems staying healthy. I think he's worth the risk though and wouldn't break the bank like one of the bigger names out there.

SKINSnCANES 02-21-2008 08:47 AM

If Roy Williams gets cut I say get Redskins One in the air and go and get him to interview. Hes everything I want in a receiver and a person, hes not going to be cheap but no receiver we sign is going to be cheap. If I interviewed with the Redskins this would be my line, 'I dont care if I start, am 2nd, 3rd, or 4th string, but unless im 5th string i want more money than Brandon Llyod'

skinsnut 02-21-2008 09:13 AM

I like Roy Williams because that would result on Moss going one on one all the time.
Hackett may be a good fit and we wouldn't have to give up a draft pick but he wouldn't cause any fear in defensive coordinators.

I say, Roy Williams and Chad Johnson are the only ones that make a heavy impact freeing up Moss....I prefer RW.

Hackett is probably the best match for our needs if we want to hold on to our draft picks....

Personally, if I were GM, I'd trade a #2 for Roy Williams and use our 1st rd on Dline and get a solid Guard in the 3rd round and look for corner/lb depth in the later rounds or through free agency.

SKINSnCANES 02-21-2008 09:18 AM

[quote=skinsnut;424564]I like Roy Williams because that would result on Moss going one on one all the time.
Hackett may be a good fit and we wouldn't have to give up a draft pick but he wouldn't cause any fear in defensive coordinators.

I say, Roy Williams and Chad Johnson are the only ones that make a heavy impact freeing up Moss....I prefer RW.

Hackett is probably the best match for our needs if we want to hold on to our draft picks....

Personally, if I were GM, I'd trade a #2 for Roy Williams and use our 1st rd on Dline and get a solid Guard in the 3rd round and look for corner/lb depth in the later rounds or through free agency.[/quote]

hopefully they just cut him, I heard rumors about it. And its not a case where he hasnt performed, hes been their top guy, but they have like 239423 receivers

bigm29 02-21-2008 09:25 AM

i think bryant johnson kind of sucks

skinsnut 02-21-2008 09:41 AM

Can I change my vote?
I voted for Roy Williams but I understand he is from Texas and may like Dallas or something.

If true, No way I want to lose a draft pick for a cowboy hugger.

I want to go for Hackett now.
I wish I could change my vote

TheMalcolmConnection 02-21-2008 10:06 AM

I'm with Hackett too.

I'm just hoping that he doesn't run into the injury problems he's had.

freddyg12 02-21-2008 10:29 AM

[quote=Dirtbag359;424466]Actually I'd go so far to argue that on average you only get 3 out of 4 of those guys per game given the history of injuries among Moss and Randle El.[/quote]

You mean among Moss. ARE has been incredibly durable his whole career. He tweaked his hamstring in the Det. game this year & I believe he missed 1 game. That was the first game of his career he's ever missed. The dude is very dependable.

EXoffender 02-21-2008 11:00 AM

I'd say a "Marques Colston type" but, in the past we haven't given late rounders a chance to play or develop.

GTripp0012 02-21-2008 11:15 AM

[quote=EXoffender;424597]I'd say a "Marques Colston type" but, in the past we haven't given late rounders a chance to play or develop.[/quote]Also the "Marques Colston-type" list goes as follows:

Marques Colston

It turns out that we can't draft him this year.

Frost 02-21-2008 11:18 AM

i had a question... when does free agency start ?

GTripp0012 02-21-2008 11:23 AM

[quote=Frost;424604]i had a question... when does free agency start ?[/quote]2/29. 8 days.

SkinsFanSince91 02-21-2008 11:48 AM

[QUOTE=SKINSnCANES;424544]If Roy Williams gets cut I say get Redskins One in the air and go and get him to interview. Hes everything I want in a receiver and a person, hes not going to be cheap but no receiver we sign is going to be cheap. If I interviewed with the Redskins this would be my line, 'I dont care if I start, am 2nd, 3rd, or 4th string, but unless im 5th string i want more money than Brandon Llyod'[/QUOTE]

I f we sign Roy Williams, we need to ask RAndle El to restructure or we will have to cut him. If we don't we would have 3 WR with contracts over $30mil total. That can't happen.

Maybe we can trade ARE to free up space for Roy Williams and get a draft pick in the process. I think we can at least get a 4th for him, especially with a premiuim on return men now.

TheMalcolmConnection 02-21-2008 11:58 AM

Randle El already has I believe.

Eknox 02-21-2008 12:23 PM

I like Roy Williams also, but isn't he stilla Lion?, or did I miss something?

Monkeydad 02-21-2008 12:32 PM

I like Bryant Johnson. He looks like he could be VERY good given the oppotunity.

Plus, he'd be cheaper.

freddyg12 02-21-2008 12:44 PM

[quote=Eknox;424627]I like Roy Williams also, but isn't he stilla Lion?, or did I miss something?[/quote]

There's been talk of Detroit looking to deal him, here are some links, valid or not:

[url=http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/Trade_offer_to_Detroit_Lions_for_Roy_Willaims_from_Eagles/128454]Trade offer to Detroit Lions for Roy Willaims from Eagles[/url]

[url=http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/02/dont_expect_roy_williams_to_be.html]Don't expect Roy Williams to be traded - Detroit Lions: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com[/url]

Yellow31 02-21-2008 12:45 PM

[QUOTE=GTripp0012;424601]Also the "Marques Colston-type" list goes as follows:

Marques Colston

It turns out that we can't draft him this year.[/QUOTE]

nice, made me laugh after reading all the other babble

jsarno 02-21-2008 12:46 PM

[QUOTE=SkinsFanSince91;424617]I f we sign Roy Williams, we need to ask RAndle El to restructure or we will have to cut him. If we don't we would have 3 WR with contracts over $30mil total. That can't happen.

Maybe we can trade ARE to free up space for Roy Williams and get a draft pick in the process. I think we can at least get a 4th for him, especially with a premiuim on return men now.[/QUOTE]

I like Randle El...he's a good guy, has a positive personality, and is a decent WR. Problem is, decent wr's are not worth the money he's getting paid. He's extremely overpaid and I doubt we will ever see him do better than what he did last year. (career high 51 catches, 728 yards...btw- career low in PR avg at 6.1)

That being said, Roy Williams is without a doubt the best of the crew left in this poll. Roy Williams is 6'4" and I don't think I need to emphasize the importance of that. Plus he's only 26!!!! Having the injury issues that he had last year, he will likely come at a discounted rate. Sure he'll still be expensive, but not chad johnson expensive, and not the chad johnson head case either that I beleive to be a locker room cancer.
My ultimate scenario would be to get rid of the Randle El contract, pick up Williams, and let Mix have a shot at being our #3. I LOVE Santana, but he has shown that being a #1 is too much for him. To have him as a #2 is a perfect scenario.

I like the size and ability of Javon Walker, but not his injury issues either...but I would go for him 2nd. He's 6'3" 220lbs, and at that size, he'd be welcomed with open arms here. He has proven to be a big time WR, and the fact that he only played 8 games for Denver last year due to different ailments means his price will be low (as it was after he blew his knee out in GB back in 05).

I'm not a [i]HUGE[/i] fan of Hackett, just a mild one. He has moderate size at 6'2", but his 199lbs is far from big. He has been in the league 3 years and has been injured for all of them, what's worse is that he played only 6 games last year. I do like the fact that he's a Zorn guy, and I would not be opposed to bringing him in at the right price, but as our #1 guy, or anyone's #1 guy for that matter, I am not sure he's capable.

Chad Johnson is a GREAT WR. No doubt about it, but (if we're not talking money) his biggest downfall is the fact that he loves himself and nothing else. He doesn't love football, he loves the money that football gives him. Chad is all about chad, and I don't want that presence in the Skins locker room. I can already see him getting upset at Campbell for not throwing the ball to him enough, or overthrowing him. Oh, and he's only 6'1" 192lbs...no thanks.

Bryant Johnson...well, he's hard to gauge. He has decent height at 6'2", and good weight at 214lbs. I have never seen him take over a game, or play at a high level. Maybe this is because he's always been behind better wr's. He's never had more than 7 catches in a game, and never had more than 87 yards in a game and he's played for 5 years (77 games). I feel he'd be another ho-hum wr for us and we have plenty of those, we need a game changer.

celts32 02-21-2008 12:47 PM

I say Roy Williams. I think RW has proven at a young age that he can be a #1 NFL WR.

Hacket is the easy answer because he's a free agent and has connections to Zorn...but I have concerns that Hacket will develop into a #1 WR. A #1 WR has to draw double teams and also bail out his QB when he really needs a play made. Maybe Hacket can become this but I would bet against it. He would be my target if they determine that they can't get a true #1 WR in trade or draft.

jsarno 02-21-2008 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=freddyg12;424635]There's been talk of Detroit looking to deal him, here are some links, valid or not:

[url=http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/Trade_offer_to_Detroit_Lions_for_Roy_Willaims_from_Eagles/128454]Trade offer to Detroit Lions for Roy Willaims from Eagles[/url][/quote]

Wow, Reggie Brown and a 4th is a steal for the Eagles...I hope we're getting some talk in here. Trade Randle El and a draft pick for him. I hate to give up a draft pick, but he's high first round talent, and the contract that Randle El has is not worth it at all...if we can dump his contract and get a large player like Williams, we have to entertain that.