Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cerrato: Skins won't be a big player in free agency (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22651)

MTK 02-23-2008 10:38 AM

Cerrato: Skins won't be a big player in free agency

[url=http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/]Redskins Insider[/url]

Mark Maske reports that Vinny Cerrato spoke at the combine this afternoon and is promising a quiet free-agency period. According to Mark, Cerrato said: "Our cap situation is okay. I just think there's a limited number of guys in free agency. The price of what guys are going to be paid is astronomical. I don't foresee us being a big player. It'll be a shock to some, but I don't see us being a big player in free agency. I don't think Dan's plane will be getting fired up and ready to go. I just think it'll be a quiet start to free agency for us."

On Cartwright: "Rock was a very productive player for us. I think he wants to see what his value is on the open market."

On Collins, "I think he wants to see what's out there. I think he wants to see if there's an opportunity for him to be a starting quarterback. If not, I think he's very open to coming back."

On Springs: "I think we're on the same page with Shawn."

sbaughone 02-23-2008 10:43 AM

Re: Cerrato: Skins won't be a big player in free agency

That's just like the V-man...right when he gets all the juice he shuts down Redskin One. What the hell are we supposed to do in March?

Stuck in TX 02-23-2008 10:44 AM

I dont think Cartwright will do well in the FA, so thats why I think he will be back if not this season, next season.

As far as a quiet FA goes, that is great news IMO. building through the draft is the best bet. I do hope we go after at least a couple middle-sized-named FA's to help develop our team in the WCO. We have a former QB coach at the head of a team with a great young QB who has tons of potential, we have a team that made the playoffs two of the past three years, and there is alot of great talent out there in the draft. I think we are going to be okay without having to sign every huge name FA out there in hopes of buying a SB ring. I feel kinda bad for the youngsters on this site. thats all they know and will be outraged by this thread.

goingdeep 02-23-2008 10:44 AM

we need to go get vilma

Paintrain 02-23-2008 11:02 AM

[QUOTE=goingdeep;425315]we need to go get vilma[/QUOTE]
Why and where would he play? He's a MLB, we just spent $$ on Fletcher last offseason and he was our defensive MVP and we drafted Blades to back him up/replace him.. I don't see how he's a fit anywhere..

diehardskin2982 02-23-2008 11:15 AM

There are some nice players on the trade market. I we get that coveted wideout

EARTHQUAKE2689 02-23-2008 11:39 AM

[quote=sbaughone;425313]That's just like the V-man...right when he gets all the juice he shuts down Redskin One. What the hell are we supposed to do in March?[/quote]

Wear green

freddyg12 02-23-2008 01:34 PM

Read this article last night & almost put it in a new thread. Guess I was too tired and/or lazy. Thanks for starting this Matty.

surprised that it wasn't up earlier, this is the most "news" we've had since Zorn was hired. It's he & Vinny's first real take on the roster & offseason.

It sounds good to me & I think you have to believe Vinny for the most part. They might be still plotting on one big move, but cap realities would dictate maybe 1 big signing or a couple mid to low level salary fa's, similar to last year.

Think back to years past, by this time w/just under a week before fa starts, there would already be reports of who the Skins were going to sign, and they often came true. Other than the CJ rumor, there hasn't been any consistent reporting on who the skins might covet, just speculation from the outside.

Vinny, Zorn & Danny seem to be on the right track so far. I'm encouraged.

SouperMeister 02-23-2008 01:54 PM

[quote=Paintrain;425321]Why and where would he play? He's a MLB, we just spent $$ on Fletcher last offseason and he was our defensive MVP and we drafted Blades to back him up/replace him.. I don't see how he's a fit anywhere..[/quote]You took the words out of my mouth. With Fletcher starting and Blades providing depth, we have far more pressing needs than at MLB.

Skins fan 44 02-23-2008 02:03 PM

[url=http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7831916?MSNHPHMA]FOX Sports on MSN - Jay Glazer - Sources: Cowboys land LB Thomas[/url]

Just saw where zack thomas is going to the cowturds. How can he do this? I thought free agency period has not started.

SouperMeister 02-23-2008 02:56 PM

[quote=Skins fan 44;425348][URL="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7831916?MSNHPHMA"]FOX Sports on MSN - Jay Glazer - Sources: Cowboys land LB Thomas[/URL]

Just saw where zack thomas is going to the cowturds. How can he do this? I thought free agency period has not started.[/quote]Perhaps there's a distinction between FAs whose contracts have expired and those who have been released. I believe that Thomas was released last week, so perhaps he was then free to sign with anyone immediately.

freddyg12 02-23-2008 04:14 PM

[quote=SouperMeister;425358]Perhaps there's a distinction between FAs whose contracts have expired and those who have been released. I believe that Thomas was released last week, so perhaps he was then free to sign with anyone immediately.[/quote]

correct, teams have sole negotiating rights w/their players until 2/29 (start of free agency). If they release them, they release negotiating rights.

Longtimefan 02-23-2008 05:45 PM

This decision stems more from the lack of ability to be active in FA due mainly to cap restraints.

Cerrato spoke of the astronomical amounts being paid to FA's, that has never seemed to be a deterrent in the past, we're faced with a situation that offeres little other choice.

MTK 02-23-2008 05:55 PM

[quote=Longtimefan;425382]This decision stems more from the lack of ability to be active in FA due mainly to cap restraints.

Cerrato spoke of the astronomical amounts being paid to FA's, [B]that has never seemed to be a deterrent in the past[/B], we're faced with a situation that offeres little other choice.[/quote]

It started to be a deterrent last year with how FA deals absolutely blew up sky high. It will probably be more of the same this year.

freddyg12 02-23-2008 05:56 PM

[quote=Longtimefan;425382]This decision stems more from the lack of ability to be active in FA due mainly to cap restraints.

Cerrato spoke of the astronomical amounts being paid to FA's, that has never seemed to be a deterrent in the past, we're faced with a situation that offeres little other choice.[/quote]

You may be right, but you also mention "that has never seemed to be a deterrent in the past" implying that we signed players for big $ in the past when common fiscal sense would dictate otherwise.

Obviously they're limited by the cap, but I think all here could agree that if Danny et al wanted to find cap space to sign somebody they would. Perhaps I'm wrong, but wasn't it pointed out by Schneed & Crazy Canuck that cutting Daniels, Griffin & Springs would free up some space?

I'm trying to look on the bright side & view this as a true sign of change. If they're keeping some vets in leiu of signing some free agents, that's one up for continuity.