Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Zorn's next fullback! (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22715)

SC Skins Fan 02-28-2008 11:20 AM

Re: Zorn's next fullback!

[quote=SBXVII;427092]I don't think he said anything about Sellers not being a core guy. He never mentioned gettng rid of Sellers, [b]he simply was implying that Sellers may be small for the position and not able to make the holes a true FB would make[/b]. I'm guessing this is what was meant. I love Sellers...especially when he bowls people over but blocking a 300 pound man away from a hole and running over a 180-200 pound man are two different stories.

I don't mind him being a FB or a TE but last yr I wondered why sometimes he was used a FB especially on the goal line when we went nowhere. Why could we not make the hole [b]or a bigger person[/b] to generate the hole? I'm sure Zorn will figure out how best to use him.[/quote]

Huh? Mike Sellers is 6-3 284 lbs. You can certainly critique some parts of his game, but you might be the first person to ever refer to him as a "small" guy.

In the classic WCO (Bill Walsh) the fullback was key as a receiver and used to maximize the number of eligible receivers. Tom Rathman was the prototype (probably someone else in his days with the Bengals pre-dated Rathman, but my memory does not extend that far). He always caught 30-50 balls and in 1989 had 73 receptions.

As with most things, though, there are exceptions and variations on the WCO. For instance, in the run heavy WCO Seattle team that went to the SB a few years ago, Mack Strong was a battering ram for Shaun Alexander. I don't think Mike Sellers is going anywhere any time soon.

SBXVII 02-28-2008 11:22 AM

I said I may be assuming that, thats what he meant. Not sure. Why else would one want to replace Sellers from a FB position? cause he is not blocking well or running the ball well. I think we all know he runs the ball well and does a good job catching so [B]I was guessing as to what he might have meant[/B]. I do recall times where Sellers did not make the hole for the running back. Usually Portis. and usually at the goal line.

Longtimefan 02-28-2008 11:23 AM

Sellers is undoubtably the man for now, but I expect the team will be looking for depth at the position in the upcoming draft.

Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor 02-28-2008 11:25 AM

Mack Strong was also a bigger threat catching balls out of the backfield ala Weaver. Sellers can catch but he can not take a flat and turn up field for a 20 yard gain. Sellers is just too slow.

SBXVII 02-28-2008 11:27 AM

In regards to him being [B]small[/B] I revert back to my arguement that he was not making the holes on 3rd and 1. or 4th and 1. I do believe we were one of the best on 3rd downs but I do believe there were plenty of times where holes were not made.

I didn't study the game films so maybe someone else broke down on those plays but I simply meant was maybe some one with a little more weight should be in the JUMBO package.

SBXVII 02-28-2008 11:30 AM

[quote=Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor;427110]Mack Strong was also a bigger threat catching balls out of the backfield ala Weaver. Sellers can catch but he can not take a flat and turn up field for a 20 yard gain. Sellers is just too slow.[/quote]

I will say this is just wrong here. Sellers had a few good games where he turned it up field. No he is not Moss or Portis and will out run everyone but Where he lacks speed he makes up for by physically over running the DB like a truck. My complaint is mostly in the JUMBO packages making the hole for Portis or Betts.

JLW428 02-28-2008 11:32 AM

Sellers is the man. He is extremely athletic for his size, and I dont see us looking to replace him. If anything we could look for some depth at the FB position. Nevertheless, Sellers is our guy.

SC Skins Fan 02-28-2008 11:39 AM

[yt]blixANbGX8w[/yt]

[yt]BNfoS5CuMyE[/yt]

[yt]mXrra91QSvU[/yt]

[YT]5pvnoHoqVH8[/YT]

theJBexperience 02-28-2008 11:40 AM

I love Sellers. He's a play maker, but I wouldn't mind drafting a guy like Owen Schmitt from West Virginia to help with some of the blocking duties. I'd say Sellers is above average in that department, but I feel Schmitt could be a stud.

MTK 02-28-2008 11:42 AM

[quote=SBXVII;427113]In regards to him being [B]small[/B] I revert back to my arguement that he was not making the holes on 3rd and 1. or 4th and 1. I do believe we were one of the best on 3rd downs but I do believe there were plenty of times where holes were not made.

I didn't study the game films so maybe someone else broke down on those plays but [B]I simply meant was maybe some one with a little more weight should be in the JUMBO package[/B].[/quote]

I'm still not understanding you. What do you want in the backfield, a 300 pounder?

SC Skins Fan 02-28-2008 11:47 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;427125]I'm still not understanding you. What do you want in the backfield, a 300 pounder?[/quote]

I say we go after Grady Jackson to run the FB position ... I know he's a little on the small side, but I still think that guy could open some holes ...

[IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m295/foleyek/Misc/490603.jpg[/IMG]

Longtimefan 02-28-2008 11:49 AM

[QUOTE=theJBexperience;427121]I love Sellers. He's a play maker, but I wouldn't mind drafting a guy like Owen Schmitt from West Virginia to help with some of the blocking duties. I'd say Sellers is above average in that department, but I feel Schmitt could be a stud.[/QUOTE]

He's already been identified by Cerrato as a potential target. It all depends on how the draft unfolds.

QBall 02-28-2008 11:49 AM

[QUOTE=SC Skins Fan;427130]I say we go after Grady Jackson to run the FB position ... I know he's a little on the small side, but I still think that guy could open some holes ...

[IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m295/foleyek/Misc/490603.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

LOL! That's so funny and a great pic.

MTK 02-28-2008 11:50 AM

[quote=SC Skins Fan;427130]I say we go after Grady Jackson to run the FB position ... I know he's a little on the small side, but I still think that guy could open some holes ...

[IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m295/foleyek/Misc/490603.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

Still too small... what else you got? ;)

mlmpetert 02-28-2008 12:07 PM

[quote=Longtimefan;427134]He's already been identified by Cerrato as a potential target. It all depends on how the draft unfolds.[/quote]

Yeah I think we are gonna have to spend our 3rd rounder on Schmitt if we want him. I have heard talk about him going as early as the second lately, but i still think he'll be a late 3rd (where we are) or a early 4th.

Dallas fans have mentioned him a lot too, which makes me want him more, plus he's a home town kid so it just seems wrong for him to go to Dallas.