Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Zorn's next fullback! (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22715)

Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor 02-28-2008 10:28 AM

Zorn's next fullback!

I'm not sold also on Sellers being our fullback in this offense. I believe that Leonard Weaver from Seattle is someone to watch for here. I mean Zorn is familiar with him along with Stump Mitchell, assistant head coach-running backs. This kid is amazing as a fullback in the west coast fullback. I would like to put Sellers in as Tightend if possible but not fullback. Just because we kept Buges (which was a good move for one year) I still believe we will not be physical up the gut running team next season. We will be more on the perimeter running team. Weaver has better hands, faster and seems to know his role in this type of offense. Also, Weaver is a restricted free agent and was not a drafted so he would not cost us a draft pick unless that put in a tender that requires one. I like Sellers alot just not our fullback. I watched so many games that he just basically missed his assignment. Feel free to clown me but this is just my opinion.

QBall 02-28-2008 10:31 AM

Re: Zorn's next fullback!

Sellers is the man. He can be a probowl fullback in any offense. Have you seen his blocks and hands? UR NUTS!

EARTHQUAKE2689 02-28-2008 10:32 AM

[quote=Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor;427065]I'm not sold also on Sellers being our fullback in this offense. I believe that Leonard Weaver from Seattle is someone to watch for here. I mean Zorn is familiar with him along with Stump Mitchell, assistant head coach-running backs. This kid is amazing as a fullback in the west coast fullback. I would like to put Sellers in as Tightend if possible but not fullback. Just because we kept Buges (which was a good move for one year) I still believe we will not be physical up the gut running team next season. We will be more on the perimeter running team. Weaver has better hands, faster and seems to know his role in this type of offense. Also, Weaver is a restricted free agent and was not a drafted so he would not cost us a draft pick unless that put in a tender that requires one. I like Sellers alot just not our fullback. I watched so many games that he just basically missed his assignment. Feel free to clown me but this is just my opinion.[/quote]

ur gonna get smashed for this

2BIG2BSKINNY 02-28-2008 10:40 AM

Sellers has played well for several years and is one of the core Redskin players who are "Skins"!

Are you just saying this as you are caught up in player dealings as the FO has in the past...don't make change just for the sake of change. Sellers is a pro-bowler type at his position.

bigm29 02-28-2008 10:42 AM

Maybe I am wrong but I always thought Sellers was pretty damn good. I see him as core player

Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor 02-28-2008 10:48 AM

He is a core player but I just don't think he is cut out to be a full back in this west coast offense. He is made for a more power smash mouth team and not for a finesse west coast team.

QBall 02-28-2008 10:50 AM

[QUOTE=Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor;427079]He is a core player but I just don't think he is cut out to be a full back in this west coast offense. He is made for a more power smash mouth team and not for a finesse west coast team.[/QUOTE]

Who said we're going to be finesse? Not the case big-guy!

killromo 02-28-2008 10:51 AM

I respect your opinion(not your avatar) and feel everyone should be objective. Sure Sellars had an off year last year, but goddamn he is a horse. He is definitely a core Skin and can do it all. I still get chills watching the clip of that Lion he trucked last year. Thanks for your insight but he is here to stay in my opinion. Then again if I was so smart I would own the team and Danny would be selling beer at [I]my[/I] stadium.

DGreene28 02-28-2008 10:53 AM

Even if we wanted a fullback to replace Sellers the draft would be a better route.

Peyton Hillis from Arkansas would be a great fit here, awesome blocker and is a great receiver out of the bakfield. If Zorn feels like we need to make a change at FB look for us to pick up this guy in the 2nd /3rd round. He's going to star as a WC FB somewhere in this league.

MTK 02-28-2008 11:01 AM

Nothing wrong with Sellers. He's very athletic for his size, he will fit in just fine with the new system.

freddyg12 02-28-2008 11:03 AM

IMO, Seller's weakness has been pass blocking, which doesn't make him a good TE. He had some good games pass blocking at the end of the season, but it's not what he does best.

In the WCO how much do FBs need to pass block? seems not too much as the dropbacks are shorter. He can catch, run & run block. Just because you run a 'spread offense' doesn't mean the FB isn't asked to lead block. What did Mack Strong do all of those years in Seattle.

While I don't see Sellers losing his starting FB job, I think it's possible that his playing time will diminish some as they use more 3-4 reciever sets & only 1 back.

J. Spanky 02-28-2008 11:03 AM

apparently zorn would like to bring in another fullback. and weaver seems to be a logical and viable choice.

but mike sellers is the MAN! we need to be using him more, not less. excellent blocker. underused ball carrier. underused receiver.

i remember early this season, against the lions, when he caught like a 30 yard pass and then bowled over kenoy kennedy. i don't recall seeing anything more than a 5 yarder sent his way the rest of the season. and that is a crime!

SBXVII 02-28-2008 11:08 AM

I don't think he said anything about Sellers not being a core guy. He never mentioned gettng rid of Sellers, he simply was implying that Sellers may be small for the position and not able to make the holes a true FB would make. I'm guessing this is what was meant. I love Sellers...especially when he bowls people over but blocking a 300 pound man away from a hole and running over a 180-200 pound man are two different stories.

I don't mind him being a FB or a TE but last yr I wondered why sometimes he was used a FB especially on the goal line when we went nowhere. Why could we not make the hole or a bigger person to generate the hole? I'm sure Zorn will figure out how best to use him.

MTK 02-28-2008 11:14 AM

[quote=SBXVII;427092]I don't think he said anything about Sellers not being a core guy. He never mentioned gettng rid of Sellers, he simply was implying that [B]Sellers may be small for the position and not able to make the holes a true FB would make[/B]. I'm guessing this is what was meant. I love Sellers...especially when he bowls people over but blocking a 300 pound man away from a hole and running over a 180-200 pound man are two different stories.

I don't mind him being a FB or a TE but last yr I wondered why sometimes he was used a FB especially on the goal line when we went nowhere. Why could we not make the hole or a bigger person to generate the hole? I'm sure Zorn will figure out how best to use him.[/quote]

Now I'm really confused.

Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor 02-28-2008 11:19 AM

I don't know about Sellers being too small for the position, I was just saying that he may not be as fast nor is his hands a good fit the position. Just watch some Weaver highlights at seahawks.com and I'm telling you he makes that offense run smooth just as Morris does at rb.

SC Skins Fan 02-28-2008 11:20 AM

[quote=SBXVII;427092]I don't think he said anything about Sellers not being a core guy. He never mentioned gettng rid of Sellers, [b]he simply was implying that Sellers may be small for the position and not able to make the holes a true FB would make[/b]. I'm guessing this is what was meant. I love Sellers...especially when he bowls people over but blocking a 300 pound man away from a hole and running over a 180-200 pound man are two different stories.

I don't mind him being a FB or a TE but last yr I wondered why sometimes he was used a FB especially on the goal line when we went nowhere. Why could we not make the hole [b]or a bigger person[/b] to generate the hole? I'm sure Zorn will figure out how best to use him.[/quote]

Huh? Mike Sellers is 6-3 284 lbs. You can certainly critique some parts of his game, but you might be the first person to ever refer to him as a "small" guy.

In the classic WCO (Bill Walsh) the fullback was key as a receiver and used to maximize the number of eligible receivers. Tom Rathman was the prototype (probably someone else in his days with the Bengals pre-dated Rathman, but my memory does not extend that far). He always caught 30-50 balls and in 1989 had 73 receptions.

As with most things, though, there are exceptions and variations on the WCO. For instance, in the run heavy WCO Seattle team that went to the SB a few years ago, Mack Strong was a battering ram for Shaun Alexander. I don't think Mike Sellers is going anywhere any time soon.

SBXVII 02-28-2008 11:22 AM

I said I may be assuming that, thats what he meant. Not sure. Why else would one want to replace Sellers from a FB position? cause he is not blocking well or running the ball well. I think we all know he runs the ball well and does a good job catching so [B]I was guessing as to what he might have meant[/B]. I do recall times where Sellers did not make the hole for the running back. Usually Portis. and usually at the goal line.

Longtimefan 02-28-2008 11:23 AM

Sellers is undoubtably the man for now, but I expect the team will be looking for depth at the position in the upcoming draft.

Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor 02-28-2008 11:25 AM

Mack Strong was also a bigger threat catching balls out of the backfield ala Weaver. Sellers can catch but he can not take a flat and turn up field for a 20 yard gain. Sellers is just too slow.

SBXVII 02-28-2008 11:27 AM

In regards to him being [B]small[/B] I revert back to my arguement that he was not making the holes on 3rd and 1. or 4th and 1. I do believe we were one of the best on 3rd downs but I do believe there were plenty of times where holes were not made.

I didn't study the game films so maybe someone else broke down on those plays but I simply meant was maybe some one with a little more weight should be in the JUMBO package.

SBXVII 02-28-2008 11:30 AM

[quote=Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor;427110]Mack Strong was also a bigger threat catching balls out of the backfield ala Weaver. Sellers can catch but he can not take a flat and turn up field for a 20 yard gain. Sellers is just too slow.[/quote]

I will say this is just wrong here. Sellers had a few good games where he turned it up field. No he is not Moss or Portis and will out run everyone but Where he lacks speed he makes up for by physically over running the DB like a truck. My complaint is mostly in the JUMBO packages making the hole for Portis or Betts.

JLW428 02-28-2008 11:32 AM

Sellers is the man. He is extremely athletic for his size, and I dont see us looking to replace him. If anything we could look for some depth at the FB position. Nevertheless, Sellers is our guy.

SC Skins Fan 02-28-2008 11:39 AM

[yt]blixANbGX8w[/yt]

[yt]BNfoS5CuMyE[/yt]

[yt]mXrra91QSvU[/yt]

[YT]5pvnoHoqVH8[/YT]

theJBexperience 02-28-2008 11:40 AM

I love Sellers. He's a play maker, but I wouldn't mind drafting a guy like Owen Schmitt from West Virginia to help with some of the blocking duties. I'd say Sellers is above average in that department, but I feel Schmitt could be a stud.

MTK 02-28-2008 11:42 AM

[quote=SBXVII;427113]In regards to him being [B]small[/B] I revert back to my arguement that he was not making the holes on 3rd and 1. or 4th and 1. I do believe we were one of the best on 3rd downs but I do believe there were plenty of times where holes were not made.

I didn't study the game films so maybe someone else broke down on those plays but [B]I simply meant was maybe some one with a little more weight should be in the JUMBO package[/B].[/quote]

I'm still not understanding you. What do you want in the backfield, a 300 pounder?

SC Skins Fan 02-28-2008 11:47 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;427125]I'm still not understanding you. What do you want in the backfield, a 300 pounder?[/quote]

I say we go after Grady Jackson to run the FB position ... I know he's a little on the small side, but I still think that guy could open some holes ...

[IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m295/foleyek/Misc/490603.jpg[/IMG]

Longtimefan 02-28-2008 11:49 AM

[QUOTE=theJBexperience;427121]I love Sellers. He's a play maker, but I wouldn't mind drafting a guy like Owen Schmitt from West Virginia to help with some of the blocking duties. I'd say Sellers is above average in that department, but I feel Schmitt could be a stud.[/QUOTE]

He's already been identified by Cerrato as a potential target. It all depends on how the draft unfolds.

QBall 02-28-2008 11:49 AM

[QUOTE=SC Skins Fan;427130]I say we go after Grady Jackson to run the FB position ... I know he's a little on the small side, but I still think that guy could open some holes ...

[IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m295/foleyek/Misc/490603.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

LOL! That's so funny and a great pic.

MTK 02-28-2008 11:50 AM

[quote=SC Skins Fan;427130]I say we go after Grady Jackson to run the FB position ... I know he's a little on the small side, but I still think that guy could open some holes ...

[IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m295/foleyek/Misc/490603.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

Still too small... what else you got? ;)

mlmpetert 02-28-2008 12:07 PM

[quote=Longtimefan;427134]He's already been identified by Cerrato as a potential target. It all depends on how the draft unfolds.[/quote]

Yeah I think we are gonna have to spend our 3rd rounder on Schmitt if we want him. I have heard talk about him going as early as the second lately, but i still think he'll be a late 3rd (where we are) or a early 4th.

Dallas fans have mentioned him a lot too, which makes me want him more, plus he's a home town kid so it just seems wrong for him to go to Dallas.

EARTHQUAKE2689 02-28-2008 12:21 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;427136]Still too small... what else you got? ;)[/quote]

I am 6'2" 1/2 311 pounds I can make some holes

theJBexperience 02-28-2008 12:51 PM

[quote=Longtimefan;427134]He's already been identified by Cerrato as a potential target. It all depends on how the draft unfolds.[/quote]

Really? I hadn't heard that. Sweet!

DGreene28 02-28-2008 12:52 PM

I've watched a lot of film on both. Hillis is just as good of a blocker if not better... and a way better receiver. Don't think we want to draft a FB that high but you never know

Monksdown 02-28-2008 12:58 PM

I've been sold on our 275lb fullback that can catch and leap over small buildings since he caught all those touchdowns 2 years ago. I have no idea how you elevate 275 lbs the way Mike does. Scratch your idea, it's terrible.

skinsnut 02-28-2008 01:07 PM

How about this guy?
I think he is big enough
[IMG]http://community.travelchinaguide.com/photo/7072/70726032338806.jpg[/IMG]

theJBexperience 02-28-2008 01:15 PM

[quote=skinsnut;427182]How about this guy?
I think he is big enough
[IMG]http://community.travelchinaguide.com/photo/7072/70726032338806.jpg[/IMG][/quote]
:vomit:

mlmpetert 02-28-2008 01:16 PM

[quote=theJBexperience;427167]Really? I hadn't heard that. Sweet![/quote]

[url=http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=159&F=2508&T=2044612&P=1#s=159&f=2508&t=2044612]Scout.com: West Virginia Forums List[/url]

Kinda of a link talking about it.

And apperently Schmitt wanted to go to UMD but did very poorly academic wise his senior year in HS. Apperently he and his mom were homeless for part of his time in HS and had a tough time growing up which in turn caused him to do bad in school.

Soup's Uncle 02-28-2008 01:23 PM

Mike Sellers is a beast. It never hurts to add some depth though.

jsarno 02-28-2008 01:27 PM

[QUOTE=2BIG2BSKINNY;427073]Sellers has played well for several years and is one of the core Redskin players who are "Skins"!

Are you just saying this as you are caught up in player dealings as the FO has in the past...don't make change just for the sake of change. Sellers is a pro-bowler type at his position.[/QUOTE]

I agree.
In fact, Sporting news reported that Sellers would likely benefit the most from Zorn coming in because he catches well out of the backfield and has good speed and size to hit the hole with. Sellers is a top 2 or 3 NFC Fullback, no way should we move on with someone else. He is reliable and a beast, exactly what you look for in a FB.

DGreene28 02-28-2008 01:41 PM

PEYTON HILLIS 2007
REC YDS AVG TD
49 537 11.0 5

OWEN SCHMITT 2007
REC YDS AVG TD
12 121 10.1 1

Can anyone spot the WCO FB
Hillis has better rushing stats in 2007 as well
If we draft a FB in the 1st 3 rounds where both of these guys are going it will most likely be Hillis. But I don't think we should, Sellers will have a career year... one thing that irks me about him are his big drops, he had a decent amout last season