Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Todd Collins Re-Ups (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22728)

Schneed10 02-29-2008 10:59 AM

Re: Todd Collins Re-Ups

[quote=skinsfan69;427508]Really?? I think that was way too much. I don't think older back-ups like Brad Johnson, Trent Diler, Gus, Kerry Collins or Charlie Batch made or make that much. I'm glad he's back but for 3mil a year?? I'm not sure JC is making much more than that.[/quote]

The $3 million per season figure means nothing. The contract could be incredibly backloaded for the 3rd season, at which time he'll be 40 and probably won't be a Redskin anymore.

What matters is how much in the way of guaranteed money we paid him. If we gave him $5 million guaranteed (I highly doubt it) then I can understand the complaint.

But as with any NFL contract, coming up with a per-season value is meaningless. The guaranteed portion is what really matters.

MTK 02-29-2008 11:00 AM

[quote=Schneed10;427523]The $3 million per season figure means nothing. The contract could be incredibly backloaded for the 3rd season, at which time he'll be 40 and probably won't be a Redskin anymore.

What matters is how much in the way of guaranteed money we paid him. If we gave him $5 million guaranteed (I highly doubt it) then I can understand the complaint.

But as with any NFL contract, coming up with a per-season value is meaningless. The guaranteed portion is what really matters.[/quote]

Sounds like he got a signing bonus of $3M

onlydarksets 02-29-2008 11:00 AM

SBs are guaranteed, so it's at least $3 million.

FRPLG 02-29-2008 11:03 AM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;427499]Anyhow...does anyone else find it kind of interesting that Zorn and Snyder flew out to Massachusetts to bring Collins back, while Cerrato stayed back in DC? What's that all about? Maybe it's like the State of the Union addresses where one Cabinet member is always absent in case of some mass tragedy on site.[/QUOTE]

Not really. I mean what does VC have to offer the conversation? TC knows they want to resign him and he knows the Jags would like him so he is going to base his decision on comfort and opportunity mostly. That stuff is dependent on the coaching staff so to me Zorn is the only guy to deliver the message. Plus he's a former QB so that helps. Snyder just tags along cause all this stuff gets him going. He loves this stuff.

I'd ne more worried if Snyderatto went and left Zorn behind. Either way Snyder is going no matter what. He's gotta get his First Day of FA fix baby. If he aint on a jet at 12:01 then he is probably bouncing off the walls. At least time it was to make a reasoned move.

Schneed10 02-29-2008 11:05 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;427525]Sounds like he got a signing bonus of $3M[/quote]

Thanks I didn't see that. So his cap hit this year is probably $1.85 million (assuming he's getting the vet min base salary this year and they backloaded the base salaries in the last two years).

That's by no means a killer for a backup QB.

FRPLG 02-29-2008 11:06 AM

[QUOTE=onlydarksets;427526]SBs are guaranteed, so it's at least $3 million.[/QUOTE]

3 Guarnateed plus we'd have to assume he is guaranteed to play this year and probably at a vet min sal level so he'll probably be a cap figures of

yr1-1.85mil
yr2-2.5mil
yr3=4.65mil

or something close to that.

It is almost a guarantee he is here for at least 2 years.

onlydarksets 02-29-2008 11:06 AM

[quote=FRPLG;427527]Either way Snyder is going no matter what. He's gotta get his First Day of FA fix baby. If he aint on a jet at 12:01 then he is probably bouncing off the walls. [/quote]

LOL - there's definitely truth in that!

MTK 02-29-2008 11:08 AM

[quote=Schneed10;427530]Thanks I didn't see that. So his cap hit this year is probably $1.85 million (assuming he's getting the vet min base salary this year and they backloaded the base salaries in the last two years).

That's by no means a killer for a backup QB.[/quote]

Sounding more and more like a steal for us if you ask me.

TheMalcolmConnection 02-29-2008 11:12 AM

My only concern with him is learning a brand new system...

But then again, touch is touch and he showed plenty of that late in the season last year...

Schneed10 02-29-2008 11:17 AM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;427534]My only concern with him is learning a brand new system...

But then again, touch is touch and he showed plenty of that late in the season last year...[/quote]

Yeah I share that concern. He was great at releasing the ball before WRs made their break. The only way you can confidently do that is if you know where the WR is going to be.

It's going to take time for him to learn that in this new system.

That said, Campbell is the much bigger concern when it comes to picking up the new system. And just about any backup QB out there would have needed to learn Zorn's system. So that shouldn't really play into the decision to resign Collins too much. As soon as we hired Zorn, we knew we were in for a learning year, no matter who we had on the roster.

Bozzy 02-29-2008 11:20 AM

Brunell is as good as done.

steveo395 02-29-2008 11:23 AM

[quote=Schneed10;427537]Yeah I share that concern. He was great at releasing the ball before WRs made their break. The only way you can confidently do that is if you know where the WR is going to be.

It's going to take time for him to learn that in this new system.

That said, Campbell is the much bigger concern when it comes to picking up the new system. And just about any backup QB out there would have needed to learn Zorn's system. So that shouldn't really play into the decision to resign Collins too much. As soon as we hired Zorn, we knew we were in for a learning year, no matter who we had on the roster.[/quote]
Zorn actually has a normal playbook though, not this 700 page crap.

Dirtbag59 02-29-2008 11:25 AM

To: All the people talking about Collins learning a new system.

All right, I got to put this in perspective. Apparently in Year 1 Zorn is going to keep a good part of Saunders system in tact. Basically the WCO offense uses Words and Terminology while Saunders used numbers. Zorn is going to use the same terminology as Saunders, but will use that system to create a West Coast attack. I'll have to find a source but this is what I heard when Zorn was first announced as the HC.

Dirtbag59 02-29-2008 11:30 AM

[quote=Dirtbag359;427543]To: All the people talking about Collins learning a new system.

All right, I got to put this in perspective. Apparently in Year 1 Zorn is going to keep a good part of Saunders system in tact. Basically the WCO offense uses Words and Terminology while Saunders used numbers. Zorn is going to use the same terminology as Saunders, but will use that system to create a West Coast attack. I'll have to find a source but this is what I heard when Zorn was first announced as the HC.[/quote]

Never mind. Looks like Zorn is going to keep the Running Game the same but the passing attack looks like its going to be new. Either way I think Collins is a great QB for the WCO, the guy works on timing, and he has great accuracy.

[B]On how much has he been able to work as an offensive coordinator the past two weeks:
[/B]"My offensive group will know we worked two days. We started with the run game and Joe Bugel's (Assistant Head Coach- Offense) favorite play, 50 gut. He has just done a tremendous job taking me through and that is what I plan on doing, is trying to keep the run game alive. [B]Keep the run game the same, terminology, blocking schemes. We have experts here in Joe (Bugel) and Rennie (Simmons, Tight Ends Coach), knowing about the run game.[/B] We have guys that really know what they are doing here. Then, the players, you can see the skills on the offensive line, working together, these blocking combinations, so I want to keep that the same. So, the answer is, two days. I will be working with them until we get that coordinator. I hope to be working even when we get that coordinator in place. That is what I would really like to do."

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Paintrain 02-29-2008 11:32 AM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;427499]Good call Matty! You happy now, ya big Ego? :)

This continues the trend from last year of retaining key players who performed well for us (Betts, Sellers, Collins-I'm sure I'm forgetting others). Five more years of this and maybe irish will start to think we're turning things around.

Anyhow...does anyone else find it kind of interesting that Zorn and Snyder flew out to Massachusetts to bring Collins back, while Cerrato stayed back in DC? What's that all about? Maybe it's like the State of the Union addresses where one Cabinet member is always absent in case of some mass tragedy on site.[/QUOTE]

He was securing 'next' on the racquetball court..

Good move I guess. I wasn't as head over heels in love with Collins as everyone else here. He's good as a backup, but as with most backup QB in the league, I hope I don't see him after the preseason finale.