Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   Falcons Sign RB Turner (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/22762-falcons-sign-rb-turner.html)

SmootSmack 03-02-2008 04:22 PM

Falcons Sign RB Turner

[url=http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jM_wWMqXZ26Bz20MVVJS0xNw8vuwD8V5HDJ01]The Associated Press: Falcons, Turner Agree to Deal[/url]

Nice pick up for the Falcons. Probably means the end of the road for Dunn in Atlanta

Daseal 03-02-2008 04:30 PM

Re: Falcons Sign RB Turner

I'm very curious to see how much ATL paid for him.

Dunn is one of the nicest guys in the league. Tons of respect for him. He had a great career.

Dirtbag59 03-02-2008 04:31 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;428256][URL="http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jM_wWMqXZ26Bz20MVVJS0xNw8vuwD8V5HDJ01"]The Associated Press: Falcons, Turner Agree to Deal[/URL]

Nice pick up for the Falcons. Probably means the end of the road for Dunn in Atlanta[/quote]

Also means end of the road for McFadden. No way they draft him now. Of course it seems like they're infatuated with Matt Ryan which in my opinion is a mistake. The guy had an 84 Pro QB rating his senior year. Plus the Falcons don't have a QB guru to develop him.

EARTHQUAKE2689 03-02-2008 05:02 PM

I thought Turner would end up in Carolina

SmootSmack 03-02-2008 05:06 PM

[QUOTE=Daseal;428260]I'm very curious to see how much ATL paid for him.

Dunn is one of the nicest guys in the league. Tons of respect for him. He had a great career.[/QUOTE]

I think it was somewhere around $35-40 million for 6 years. $12-15 million signing bonus

Slingin Sammy 33 03-02-2008 05:07 PM

[quote=Daseal;428260]I'm very curious to see how much ATL paid for him.

Dunn is one of the nicest guys in the league. Tons of respect for him. He had a great career.[/quote]
[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3273710"]ESPN - Source: Turner to get approximately $15M guaranteed from Falcons - NFL[/URL]

ESPN reports 6yrs. 34M, $ 15M guaranteed. Good for Turner. He's a great talent.

SmootSmack 03-02-2008 05:14 PM

[QUOTE=Slingin Sammy 33;428270][URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3273710"]ESPN - Source: Turner to get approximately $15M guaranteed from Falcons - NFL[/URL]

ESPN reports 6yrs. 34M, $ 15M guaranteed. Good for Turner. He's a great talent.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Didn't know a link was up

mooby 03-02-2008 05:24 PM

Definitely a good deal for Turner and the Falcons. Looks like the Falcons don't have Dunn in their plans anymore. I think Turner and Norwood will probably be a pretty good combo next year.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-02-2008 05:30 PM

The contracts being handed out this year are quite simply astounding. I wonder what Andre Carter and ARE would command on today's market. My guess is we got them at about 2/3 the price they would get on today's market.

Dirtbag59 03-02-2008 05:35 PM

[quote=mooby;428274]Definitely a good deal for Turner and the Falcons. Looks like the Falcons don't have Dunn in their plans anymore. I think Turner and Norwood will probably be a pretty good combo next year.[/quote]

I think the rational here is similar to the way the Redskins feel aobut Moss and ARE. In Dunn and Norword the Falcons had two scat backs. Turner on the other hand is a power runner (he's still pretty fast but his style of play is based on power). Now with Norwood and Turner they have a pair of thunder and lightning.

Oh yeah lets sign Warrick Dunn for the veteran minium....da de da....I am so smart......blah blah blah.....go me.......4 great justice........la de da....some 1 please understand that this last part is a joke...blah blah blah.

jsarno 03-02-2008 05:50 PM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;428256][url=http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jM_wWMqXZ26Bz20MVVJS0xNw8vuwD8V5HDJ01]The Associated Press: Falcons, Turner Agree to Deal[/url]

Nice pick up for the Falcons. Probably means the end of the road for Dunn in Atlanta[/QUOTE]

Holy crap, the sky is falling...the Falcons finally made a smart move! Of course, they paid too much for him, but a smart move none the less. I've been waiting for this kid to get out of SD to see what he can do, and the falcons love to run, it's a perfect fit for him. (well, almost perfect, they still will lose a lot of games unless they are able to fill the seemingly thousands of holes.)

Dirtbag59 03-02-2008 06:09 PM

[quote=jsarno;428290]Holy crap, the sky is falling...the Falcons finally made a smart move! Of course, they paid too much for him, but a smart move none the less. [/quote]

Really? Under $6 million a year for a starting running back that has averaged over 5 YPC multiple times throughout his career is overpaying? How much do we pay Portis? I think the Falcons got a steal. However we'll see how well he does with a patchwork offensive line whos only brightspot seems to be Justin Blaylock.

jsarno 03-02-2008 06:23 PM

[QUOTE=Dirtbag359;428293]Really? Under $6 million a year for a starting running back that has averaged over 5 YPC multiple times throughout his career is overpaying? How much do we pay Portis? I think the Falcons got a steal. However we'll see how well he does with a patchwork offensive line whos only brightspot seems to be Justin Blaylock.[/QUOTE]

Well, you have a loaded post here.
1- 6 mil a year in this day and age of RB's is a lot, yes.
2- Portis is our highest paid player according to our cap numbers link. I don't recall his actual numbers, but I know his release numbers are 8.875 mil. His salary alone was somewhere around 5 mil. Not sure exactly what we're paying him with bonus, but it's likely near the 8.8 mil if I had to give a guess. IMO Portis is overpaid as well.
3- I do think, and said, I think it's a GREAT pick up for the Falcons and Turner.
4- He had a career low in YPC with 4.5 this year. You can't use his YPC stats as a yardstick to measure with due to the fact that he has never had more than 80 carries in a season. That's a total of 3-4 games for most starting rb's.

GTripp0012 03-02-2008 06:47 PM

[quote=jsarno;428297]4- He had a career low in YPC with 4.5 this year. You can't use his YPC stats as a yardstick to measure with due to the fact that he has never had more than 80 carries in a season. That's a total of 3-4 games for most starting rb's.[/quote]Over his career, he has 228 carries for 5.5 yards per. That's really good.

It's the equivlent of having a single pro bowl season. Have players with one pro bowl gone on to be busts? Sure they have. But chances are that Michael Turner will be a great player for Atlanta, who now has one of the best RB duos in Turner and Jerious Norwood.

It doesn't make them an immediate playoff contender, but its a start.

jsarno 03-02-2008 07:08 PM

[QUOTE=GTripp0012;428318]Over his career, he has 228 carries for 5.5 yards per. That's really good.

It's the equivlent of having a single pro bowl season. Have players with one pro bowl gone on to be busts? Sure they have. But chances are that Michael Turner will be a great player for Atlanta, who now has one of the best RB duos in Turner and Jerious Norwood.

It doesn't make them an immediate playoff contender, but its a start.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what the point of this post is other than the first part. I have aleady said more than once that the Falcons made a smart move. My only negative is that he is getting paid too much, especially for someone that has never started and will be 26.
I also said I was dieing to see what this kid could do if he was the starter. All I'm saying about the YPC is that you can't use it as a yardstick when he's not a starter. Those kinds of players are used in different fronts and used as a "change of pace", so they are more likely to have inflated numbers.
I personally think he is the perfect combo of size and speed, and will have a monster season for the Falcons even with an average o-line.