Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   Steelers' QB Gets New Contract (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/22770-steelers-qb-gets-new-contract.html)

SmootSmack 03-03-2008 09:20 AM

Steelers' QB Gets New Contract

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3274467]ESPN - Roethlisberger gets more than $36 million in guarantees in new deal - NFL[/url]

The Pittsburgh Steelers and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger have agreed to a new eight-year, $102 million contract, according to sources.

Mattyk 03-03-2008 09:30 AM

Re: Steelers' QB Gets New Contract

Wow... the Steelers paying out big money?!

irish 03-03-2008 09:52 AM

This is the first time I remember the Steelers ever paying a player big $ but this is a top flight QB and those are hard to come by. Its a great deal for the Steelers.

Soup's Uncle 03-03-2008 10:30 AM

Yeah, Big ben is still young and he's got a frickin cannon. That's a good move, he could be their QB for the next 10-12 years.

mooby 03-03-2008 10:43 AM

Goodness gracious he's gettin payed lol. But at least the Steelers have him locked up long term now and he's got financial security.

FRPLG 03-03-2008 10:45 AM

Is he even a top 5 QB? I mean the money he is getting paid is beyond insane and it's from the Steelers to boot. Is it the bizarro off-season? Since when do we sit on our hands and the Steelers shell out close to 40mil guaranteed to someone who isn't the best player at his position...or close to it?

Daseal 03-03-2008 11:00 AM

Honestly, not worth the money. I'm not sold that Big Ben is a special QB in this league. He's good, but he's not worth that contract.

SkinsFanSince91 03-03-2008 11:02 AM

[QUOTE=Daseal;428496]Honestly, not worth the money. I'm not sold that Big Ben is a special QB in this league. He's good, but he's not worth that contract.[/QUOTE]

HE is younger than most, and I think he already has a ring.

Correct me if I an wrong, but he was the youngest QB to make it to a superbowl(tied with Marino) and win it all.

Worth every penny.

Mattyk 03-03-2008 11:22 AM

It sounds like a ton of $$ but remember the only thing that really matters is the guaranteed money.

GTripp0012 03-03-2008 11:23 AM

[quote=FRPLG;428493]Is he even a top 5 QB? I mean the money he is getting paid is beyond insane and it's from the Steelers to boot. Is it the bizarro off-season? Since when do we sit on our hands and the Steelers shell out close to 40mil guaranteed to someone who isn't the best player at his position...or close to it?[/quote]Though I wouldn't say he's a top 5 QB, he's irreplaceable to the Steelers, because all the QBs better than him are already locked up (Manning, Brady, Brees, Romo, Bulger), or are on their Rookie deal and in no danger of hitting the market (Rivers...and maybe one day Cutler/Leinart/Quinn/Campbell).

This is the going rate of a franchise QB these days, and while Campbell probably won't command as much money as Roethlisberger in 2009, we are going to have to pay him like a franchise QB.

Daseal 03-03-2008 11:35 AM

[quote]HE is younger than most, and I think he already has a ring.

Correct me if I an wrong, but he was the youngest QB to make it to a superbowl(tied with Marino) and win it all.

Worth every penny.[/quote]
Big Ben is a game manager, nothing more. Do you really feel as if many other qb's couldn't have played well enough to win that Super Bowl for Pittsburgh. We'll see what Big Ben is made of, it looks like Tomlins system is putting more on his back.

Matty -- he got 30M guaranteed. That's a solid number. Figure he'll also play at least 4 years on that contract, so he's getting big time money.

irish 03-03-2008 11:41 AM

[QUOTE=GTripp0012;428504]Though I wouldn't say he's a top 5 QB, he's irreplaceable to the Steelers, because all the QBs better than him are already locked up (Manning, Brady, Brees, Romo, Bulger), or are on their Rookie deal and in no danger of hitting the market (Rivers...and maybe one day Cutler/Leinart/Quinn/Campbell).

This is the going rate of a franchise QB these days, and while Campbell probably won't command as much money as Roethlisberger in 2009, we are going to have to pay him like a franchise QB.[/QUOTE]

No way will Campbell get close to that kind of money. This is his what, 4th season coming up and he barely has double digit wins. To say that JC can get paid anywhere near what a Super Bowl winning QB gets paid is insane.

irish 03-03-2008 11:44 AM

[QUOTE=Daseal;428508]Big Ben is a game manager, nothing more. Do you really feel as if many other qb's couldn't have played well enough to win that Super Bowl for Pittsburgh. We'll see what Big Ben is made of, it looks like Tomlins system is putting more on his back.

Matty -- he got 30M guaranteed. That's a solid number. Figure he'll also play at least 4 years on that contract, so he's getting big time money.[/QUOTE]

That's right, he is a game manager and a pretty good one. Contrary to pooular belief all a QB really needs to do to be very successful is be a game manager. He does not need to win games, he just cant do stupid things to lose them.

Daseal 03-03-2008 12:08 PM

I agree Irish, game managers are necessary. However, he's looking at Manning, Brady, etc money, and in my opinion, he doesn't deserve it.