Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jets Griping About Free Agents getting Big Bucks (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22815)

Paintrain 03-05-2008 04:43 PM

Jets Griping About Free Agents getting Big Bucks

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3278105&univLogin02=stateChanged]ESPN - Jets' spending spree reportedly leaves some vets feeling underpaid - NFL[/url]

"You pay guys you don't even know, and the guys in the locker room -- the guys that have your back -- you don't give a damn about them," an anonymous player told The New York Daily News. "It shows where the loyalty is."

Any suspicions on who it could be?

[url]http://www.redskinswarpath.com/locker-room/22586-coles-says-jets-lied-to-him.html?highlight=coles[/url]

SKINSnCANES 03-05-2008 04:48 PM

Re: Jets Griping About Free Agents getting Big Bucks

yea were talking about that now in the therad I started a little while ago about free agent contracts

MTK 03-06-2008 11:56 AM

Well, this certainly makes you wonder what Redskins players were thinking during some of our big FA runs. It also makes me feel great about what we're doing right now.

724Skinsfan 03-06-2008 12:06 PM

The Jets were 4-12 last year. I can't believe someone/anyone is complaining about not getting enough money.

steveo395 03-06-2008 12:48 PM

It's probably Coles

GridIron26 03-06-2008 01:20 PM

[quote=724Skinsfan;429865]The Jets were 4-12 last year. I can't believe someone/anyone is complaining about not getting enough money.[/quote]

I can understand them, they played their heart out and had to accept the fact that they were one of the losing teams..

skinsfan69 03-06-2008 01:34 PM

[quote=Paintrain;429613][URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3278105&univLogin02=stateChanged"]ESPN - Jets' spending spree reportedly leaves some vets feeling underpaid - NFL[/URL]

"You pay guys you don't even know, and the guys in the locker room -- the guys that have your back -- you don't give a damn about them," an anonymous player told The New York Daily News. "It shows where the loyalty is."

Any suspicions on who it could be?

[URL]http://www.redskinswarpath.com/locker-room/22586-coles-says-jets-lied-to-him.html?highlight=coles[/URL][/quote]

I'd bet my life savings ( which isn't much ) that it's Coles. He's one of the biggest crybabies in the NFL.

Longtimefan 03-06-2008 01:45 PM

*I* really don't care to hear players gripe about loyalty. Loyalty is a two-way street, and in today's NFL it apears to be lacking from both sides of the spectrum.

Players often refer to the NFL as a business, so I would imagine it's fair to conclude there's no loyalty in business.

Riggo44 03-06-2008 03:57 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfan69;429907]I'd bet my life savings ( which isn't much ) that it's Coles. He's one of the biggest crybabies in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

I read this on ESPN yesterday and thought the same thing. I'd put my savings on that bet too. I'm so glad we trade cry baby my toe hurts Coles for Moss.

redsk1 03-06-2008 04:03 PM

It could be Coles, b/c he's been upset recently anyway. I can see both sides of it.

I hope that the skins have learned their lesson, and I think they have a little bit. This offseason is not over yet, but it would make really 2 relatively low key offseasons in a row. 3 offseasons in a row that are productive would make a trend. So i'm not going to say we are changed right now. Let's give it another year.

I do think that had we been 20 mill under the cap we would have made at least one big FA move (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Rajmahal33 03-06-2008 04:15 PM

I agree completely, this loyalty thing wouldn't have been an issue before free agency began. In fact it was the players who pushed for this the most and who benefit the most from Free Agency. Let's also not forget that they get payed millions of dollars to play a game. The common counterargument to this is that the teams/owners make much more...THEY ARE BUSINESSMEN. They make money b/c its their business! You won't criticize a guy who owns a landscaping business for making a larger profit than his workers, will u. The difference is that those workers aren't getting paid to have fun and they are getting severely UNDERPAID.

Fans who gripe about ticket prices don't make much sense to me either. Go ahead blame, Dan Snyder and the Redskins organization for their high ticket prices. Maybe he is gouging the fan a little bit but how come no one ever blames the primadonna player who sits out and pouts. Those players inflate the market artificially every year which causes ball clubs to have to pay a lot more money and in turn this cost is footed by the fan (at some level)

redwagonskins 03-06-2008 06:07 PM

[QUOTE=Rajmahal33;429946]I agree completely, this loyalty thing wouldn't have been an issue before free agency began. In fact it was the players who pushed for this the most and who benefit the most from Free Agency. Let's also not forget that they get payed millions of dollars to play a game. The common counterargument to this is that the teams/owners make much more...THEY ARE BUSINESSMEN. They make money b/c its their business! You won't criticize a guy who owns a landscaping business for making a larger profit than his workers, will u. The difference is that those workers aren't getting paid to have fun and they are getting severely UNDERPAID.

Fans who gripe about ticket prices don't make much sense to me either. Go ahead blame, Dan Snyder and the Redskins organization for their high ticket prices. Maybe he is gouging the fan a little bit but how come no one ever blames the primadonna player who sits out and pouts. [B]Those players inflate the market artificially[/B] every year which causes ball clubs to have to pay a lot more money and in turn this cost is footed by the fan (at some level)[/QUOTE]

How do players inflate the market artificially? Is there collusion between available wide receivers? I have no sympathy for athletes who complain about money but let's not lose sight that the Skins are alone worth $ 1.3 billion and the NFL gets $3.1 billion a YEAR in broadcast rights. The ball clubs don't have to pay a kick returner (ala Rock Cartwright) his demanded $2 million per but they do. And it's not because the market is inflated by the players, it is inflated by the teams who know that merchandise sales, club seats, and tv rights will quintuple their investments.

Longtimefan 03-06-2008 06:19 PM

There are basically two reasons why players go into free agency, their present team don't want them, or they cost too much to remain with that respective team.

Every year a handfull of players in their prime, or at the top of their game make it to free agency, they are the exception, not the rule. The rest of free agency is made up of players not wanted by their team.

But, one man's trash is another man's treasure....until it becomes his trash as well.

Imagine this, you go to your favorite fast-food place, instead of the normal cheap prices, they not only have jacked the prices up but you have to outbid the other customers. Would you join in the bidding for a "Big Mac" or would you walk out and find someplace else to buy your food? Free agency in many ways is equivilant to what some consider to be "fools gold".

Who is responsible for the trend? I don't want to lay that at the feet of Dan Snyder however, with that overwhelming desire to "win now" being the driving force in the league, the trend will continue until the owners "collectively" decide enough is enough, and refuse to continue paying these what have come to be insane contracts. Because of that overwhelming desire to win, I just don't see that happening.

GMScud 03-06-2008 06:41 PM

[quote=redsk1;429938]It could be Coles, b/c he's been upset recently anyway. I can see both sides of it.

I hope that the skins have learned their lesson, and I think they have a little bit. This offseason is not over yet, but it would make really 2 relatively low key offseasons in a row. 3 offseasons in a row that are productive would make a trend. So i'm not going to say we are changed right now. Let's give it another year.

I do think that had we been 20 mill under the cap we would have made at least one big FA move (not that there's anything wrong with that).[/quote]

It could be Kerry Rhodes doing the complaining. The guy is one of the best safties in the league, and could be the best player on the entire Jets team. And he's due barely $900K this year. Apparently they're working on a contract but are very far apart on numbers. So in the meantime they go give Calvin Pace (??) one of the biggest LB contracts in history, and proceed to hand out almost $140M in total contracts in 5 days?? The Jets are involved in panicked overspending IMO. They're playing second fiddle to the Giants in NYC, and second fiddle to the Pats in their division.