Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where should we rebuild first? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22850)

4mrusmc 03-09-2008 01:30 PM

Where should we rebuild first?

Hey guys, with the impending change of offensive philosophies in our beloved B/G. Are we as fans ready to embrace this new concept? As a fan who grew-up in the 80's, I grew to love the smash-mouth style of football that coach Gibbs employed at will on the opposition. However, during coach Gibbs's second tour as our coach, we never saw the same style of smash-mouth play. This was part and parcel to the fact that we never had the personel to execute that old school style of play that I for one wanted to see again. When you think of Redskins football you think of running backs running power moves up the gut, then with the pass being set-up at just the right time. I think that our offensive line was not as much of the focus as it should have been. Think back to our teams' glory days, and you will remember that our offensive line was by far and away head and shoulders above the rest of the NFL. For what ever reason our O-line didn't seem to get the attention of coach Gibbs. To me, it seemed that our attention was in strengthing our defense per G. Williams. I've looked around hear for a while and the "hot" talk is mostly on what "sexy" receiver we should be going after. I think that we are in a bit of a rebuilding process with coach Zorn. And I would like to see more emphasis go towards our offense, especially our O-line. With the exception of Portis, JC, Cooley, and Sellars, I think we could use everyone else as trade material to upgrade at O-line. I know that is a bit harsh but, something needs to be done. Our two playoff loses during Gibbs ver.2, were due to the fact that our O-line play was insufficient. I think that our rebuilding needs should be on the O-line. What do you guys think?

irish 03-09-2008 01:41 PM

Re: Where should we rebuild first?

Offensive line. Thats what makes every good offense roll.

That Guy 03-09-2008 07:06 PM

paragraphs and cohesive sentence structures.

CPAlltheWay012 03-09-2008 07:11 PM

[IMG]http://www.kaitaia.com/funny/pictures/typos/cliff_notes.jpg[/IMG]

Cliffnotes please lol ?

but if we're talking about rebuilding, personally, i believe that O-line and Secondary should be our first needs.. I'd love to get some deep depth at the offensive line and a talented safety next to Laron Landry..

TheSmurfs22 03-09-2008 07:15 PM

The offensive line followed by the defensive line and secondary.

Schneed10 03-09-2008 07:54 PM

Try paragraph breaks, it makes it hard to get through your post.

I take issue with the word "rebuild". I don't think we're anywhere close to a rebuilding mode. We're switching offenses, yes. But we're coming off a playoff season, retaining [B]21 of 22 starters[/B] from week 1 of last season (and I believe that the 22nd is still there in spirit), retaining all assistant coaches except for the coordinators, and we'll be running the exact same defensive system as last year.

This goes to the continuity discussion we've been having around here. The front office has not approached this offseason from a rebuilding perspective.

I'm a fan of adding young talent through the draft, guys who can come in, work hard and learn, and one day take over some key starting spots. A DT, a DE, and a G would look nice on our team. But frankly, I love our current offensive line and I like our D line a lot as is, too.

We're ADDING, not rebuilding.

EXoffender 03-09-2008 08:57 PM

Our O-line was surperb year before last, when Dockery had finally settled in and Thomas and Jansen was healthy. No, I not saying that Dockery was the sole reason this was the case. Coach Buges is a great asset too. It's imperative to have youth all around but, healthy quality-depth is key. Last year we had too many 'old dogs learning new tricks'. Both Wade and Fabini sliding to G where they've played T most of thier careers was not pretty. Kendall is not getting any younger but he's very valuable because he can hike it.

Defensewins 03-09-2008 10:36 PM

I think what comes into question is can Thomas and Jansen stay healthy? Are they high mileage players that their bodies can not hold up to an entire season? Getting and developing younger guys is always smart.

Campbell17 03-09-2008 10:39 PM

Offensive line. Nuff Said

schndr_tdd 03-09-2008 10:56 PM

From the trenches out..

budw38 03-09-2008 11:05 PM

You win in the trenches . OL , DL , CB .

Stuck in TX 03-09-2008 11:31 PM

When your QB isnt on his back he can make better throws, when there are holes the RB can get through he can use his talent to make huge plays.... Its gotta start somewhere and it all begins with the OL.

Skinny Tee 03-09-2008 11:51 PM

[quote=Schneed10;430629]

We're ADDING, not rebuilding.[/quote]

I think its rebuilding in that we have a rookie head coach who is an untested playcaller. That is going to be something that the team is going to need to overcome to be the same team we were last year.

But I don't think it's rebuilding as in an expansion franchise.

If this season is blown due to coaching inexperience we are going to have start rebuilding around this new coach's philosophy.

Dirtbag59 03-10-2008 12:20 AM

I'm a firm believer that having a great Offensive and Defensive Line is the greatest way to compensate for holes in a teams roster. On offense the best example I can come up with is the Chiefs. Back when they're Offensive Line was considered the best in the league, they could take virtually any Running Back and turn him into a 100 yd per game rusher. At one point people started to wonder if LJ was as good as LT. Now ever since that line fell apart LJ has become a back with a 3.5 ypc average.

Super Bowl 42. The Patriots had the best passing attack in history, but before the Giants elite Defensive line they were almost usless, putting up only 14 points. Having the right guys up front in the trenches gives coaches a lot more freedom and right now our best unit (the O-Line) is getting old in a hurry. I say we have to take an O-lineman in the first 3 rounds.

Personally I would prefer Brandon Albert, but Devin Thomas seems more like a guy that Dan Synder would target at 21, especially considering his desire for another playmaker at Reciever.

4mrusmc 03-10-2008 08:16 PM

[quote=That Guy;430619]paragraphs and cohesive sentence structures.[/quote]
Thanks for the literary critique, I will try to be a bit more concise next time.
Mods, please feel free to delete this tread, because we have a duplicate already in this forum.