Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   Cardinals and Fitzgerald Agree on New Deal (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/22866-cardinals-and-fitzgerald-agree-new-deal.html)

SmootSmack 03-11-2008 02:15 PM

Cardinals and Fitzgerald Agree on New Deal

4 years, $40 million ($30 million guaranteed)

Also, includes a no trade clause

[url]http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0311fitzfolo.html[/url]

Paintrain 03-11-2008 02:15 PM

Re: Cardinals and Fitzgerald Agree on New Deal

That's cool.. We weren't getting him anyways, so this is more bad news in Philly than in DC..

sandtrapjack 03-11-2008 02:21 PM

I was just going to post this in the thread about the Eagles going after him, but you beat me to it.

Just glad he is not in the NFC East.

freddyg12 03-11-2008 02:48 PM

yeah, I look at this as good news for us.

Also, I just like seeing players stick w/one team & lord knows the Cards deserve some good news.

mooby 03-11-2008 02:59 PM

That's great news, especially for the Cards and us because it means we won't be seeing Fitzgerald in a Philly uni next season. Sucks for Philly though.

sandtrapjack 03-11-2008 03:25 PM

[quote=mooby;431097]Sucks for Philly though.[/quote]

Oh..yeah...POOR POOR Philly. I am all broke up about THAT!

BDBohnzie 03-11-2008 03:27 PM

30 Million guaranteed is a lot of money...

hooskins 03-11-2008 03:36 PM

Yeah a pretty sweet deal if 3/4 of your money is guaranteed, especially if we are talking tens of millions.

jsarno 03-11-2008 03:44 PM

Wow...I don't care who you are, no one is worth that much. Football can't keep this up with the salary cap.

skinsfan_nn 03-11-2008 03:48 PM

Yep, thats a big chunk of guaranteed cash. Thats a nice deal for Fitzgerald.

Bill B 03-11-2008 03:57 PM

What was the guranteed portion of Nate Clements deal with the 49ers? I know the total of Clements deal was $80 million or so, but how much of Clements contract is guranteed? It's the guranteed portion that counts because almost always players will neve see the ecessive back end of the deals made now.

JoeRedskin 03-11-2008 03:57 PM

[QUOTE=BDBohnzie;431110]30 Million guaranteed is a lot of money...[/QUOTE]

Well, not really, I mean after taxes he'll probably only have about 20M. Seriously, how's he gonna feed his family on that???

Bill B 03-11-2008 04:30 PM

[quote=JoeRedskin;431128]Well, not really, I mean after taxes he'll probably only have about 20M. Seriously, how's he gonna feed his family on that???[/quote]

Depends many of these athelete's often have divorces that can cause huge money problems - just ask Michael Strahan - he got hosed by his ex wife and people were coming to his house when he put items like tvs up for sale to get whatever money he could to make the payments. Also Strahan propbably would have retired last year if he didn't need more money. At least Strahan got a ring that should help pay for the divorce. The court system on awardings is getting way outta hand and needs to be capped.

jsarno 03-11-2008 04:34 PM

[QUOTE=Bill B;431137]Depends many of these athelete's often have divorces that can cause huge money problems - just ask Michael Strahan - he got hosed by his ex wife and people were coming to his house when he put items like tvs up for sale to get whatever money he could to make the payments. Also Strahan propbably would have retired last year if he didn't need more money. At least Strahan got a ring that should help pay for the divorce. The court system on awardings is getting way outta hand and needs to be capped.[/QUOTE]

I think that speaks volumes to our society. No matter how much you make, you always want more and spend more than you should...sometimes to a fault!

hooskins 03-11-2008 04:44 PM

Also to follow up on Bill B's point, these guys have to pay for agents along with security services(not just bodyguards but private cars when needed for safety) when they decide to go out to the store, vacation, etc etc. Also they probably need to eat more nutritious natural foods which cost more due to the standard of preparation.

While I agree many players spend lavishly, there are some large fixed costs that come with the occupation us common folk forget about.