Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Toyota Camry XLE or Honda Accord EX-L or Chevy Malibu LTZ??? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22907)

jsarno 03-16-2008 12:50 AM

Toyota Camry XLE or Honda Accord EX-L or Chevy Malibu LTZ???

I can't stand my wife's car, (2004 Pontiac Grand Prix) so we've been looking to replace it. We've come down to 3 options, the Chevy Malibu LTZ, the Honda Accord EX-L, or the Toyota Camry XLE. We both really liked the BMW, Mercedes, and the Infiniti vehicles, but if anything goes wrong with them, the closest dealership is 2 hours and 15 minutes away. So we need to choose a local vehicle.
We have also considered waiting for the 2009 Camaro...we are already on the waiting list.
Which car would you guys choose, and why? Help us make a decision, cause we are pretty even across the board.

dmek25 03-16-2008 05:00 AM

Re: Toyota Camry XLE or Honda Accord EX-L or Chevy Malibu LTZ???

go american, help the cause:)

jamf 03-16-2008 05:47 AM

You can't go wrong with an Accord or Camry.

The malibu is a nice car but the resale value is no where that of the accord or camry.

mheisig 03-16-2008 07:49 AM

[QUOTE=jamf;432381][B]You can't go wrong with an Accord or Camry. [/B]

The malibu is a nice car but the resale value is no where that of the accord or camry.[/QUOTE]

Of course they're about as exciting to drive as Al Gore is to listen to...

You've got to decide which "camp" you fall into: a car is solely a way to get from point A to point B and reliability and price are the chief factors. Or, a car is more an expression of who you are and you genuinely enjoy driving and price is somewhat secondary (within reason).

Personally I spend more money on a car because I love driving and I love cars, but hey that's just me and it's not nearly as financially sound as say, buying a three year old Camry that someone else has paid the depreciation on and keep it for 8 years.

BrudLee 03-16-2008 08:59 AM

I've had a Camry for ten years and 190,000 miles now - they last forever.

EternalEnigma21 03-16-2008 09:27 AM

you know jsarno, you can get a Camry Hybrid for the same price as the V6 Camry XLE. It gets 35MPG on avg, better for the environment, and has almost every amenity the xle has. The JBL psychoacoustic 440W audio system included... along with the Plasmacluster air ionization purification system for those with allergies....Also, most of the camry's are built in georgetown kentucky, using a large percentage of american made parts (around 75% if memory serves correctly...)

but I used to sell them so I'm more familiar with them...

Id rule out the malibu, because they lose so much in value, and after you buy one, they'll have trouble selling them next year and be offering 5K in rebates, which will further kill your value.

I personally don't like the look of the new Accord sedans, but that's just my personal preference. As far as the Camaro goes, I may wind up buying one myself... they're a thing of beauty.

70Chip 03-16-2008 10:56 AM

I think for the latest models, the Accord was ranked slightly higher than the Camry, but both will last forever.

FRPLG 03-16-2008 11:20 AM

I'm a purely functional guy and I'd throw the Chevy out with little doubt. In terms of the Camry or Accord I'd just see which I could get the best value on. They are both fantastic cars that lose little value. I don't think you can go wrong value wise with either. Remember, what you pay for the car is less important than what you pay for it AND what you sell it for down the line. Just because an Accord or Camry is more moolah doesn't really mean it is more. It is just a bigger outlay now but I bet if you keep it just 4 or 5 years it ends up costing the same as the Chevy or less.

mredskins 03-16-2008 11:45 AM

I would pick the Camry. I like the look and it is well built. Accord is probably a little more fun to drive but the back on those things are horrible.

DynamiteRave 03-16-2008 02:26 PM

I've had an Accord since 2002.

Great on gas, great on labor. I haven't had to get anything major replaced or fixed since I've had the car except for the brakes and that was last year.

My mom has a 2002 Pontiac Grandam and I couldn't begin to tell you how much money she's poured into that car just to keep the damn thing working. It's broken down at least twice within the past 6 years.

jsarno 03-16-2008 02:54 PM

[QUOTE=mheisig;432386]Of course they're about as exciting to drive as Al Gore is to listen to...

You've got to decide which "camp" you fall into: a car is solely a way to get from point A to point B and reliability and price are the chief factors. Or, a car is more an expression of who you are and you genuinely enjoy driving and price is somewhat secondary (within reason).

Personally I spend more money on a car because I love driving and I love cars, but hey that's just me and it's not nearly as financially sound as say, buying a three year old Camry that someone else has paid the depreciation on and keep it for 8 years.[/QUOTE]

My camp is firmly in the latter of your two scenarios. My parents always bought the worst clunkers they could and throw a little money into them to make them work for a couple years. I hated it. I vowed when I got older to always have what I want, I won't settle. It does not bother me one bit to spend $700-$1000 a month on two brand new vehicles. I love new things, I love the new car smell, and I love the amenities new cars have. It may be shallow, but I'm not living the life my parents did.
Technically, it's my wife's car, so it's "mostly" her choice. If it were mine, I'd go with a BMW or something. She loves those three cars and can't decide. I tried to convince her to wait for the Camaro, but she doesn't want to wait. I can't blame her really.
One of the reasons I am trying to push the chevy is cause we could get a KILLER deal on the Malibu AND an 06 Corvette. My truck has roughly 8k in equity in it (trade in value), and they are offering the vette for 38k. Only 20k miles. They said if I bought the two vehicles, they would obviously discount both, and I could get the Vette for 34k and after the 8k for my trade in than I would be financing only 26k. It's yellow, and the bad boy is beautiful. I looked at a new ZO6 and it was 77k. These vettes / my dream car keeps getting more and more expensive. I can't afford anything over 40k right now.
I don't NEED the vette though...it's more of a dream.

jsarno 03-16-2008 03:02 PM

[QUOTE=canthetuna;432392]you know jsarno, you can get a Camry Hybrid for the same price as the V6 Camry XLE. It gets 35MPG on avg, better for the environment, and has almost every amenity the xle has. The JBL psychoacoustic 440W audio system included... along with the Plasmacluster air ionization purification system for those with allergies....Also, most of the camry's are built in georgetown kentucky, using a large percentage of american made parts (around 75% if memory serves correctly...)[/quote]

We actually tried to get a hybrid, but these small towns out here do not get a lot of the good stuff. Every hybrid that comes in, goes out just as fast. We'd have to order it and who knows how long that would take.

[quote]Id rule out the malibu, because they lose so much in value, and after you buy one, they'll have trouble selling them next year and be offering 5K in rebates, which will further kill your value. [/quote]

That's a very good point. It also appears the Accord will hold it's value better, likely because it's not a "fleet" car company. It's not a whole lot different, but it does weigh better for the accord.

[quote]I personally don't like the look of the new Accord sedans, but that's just my personal preference. As far as the Camaro goes, I may wind up buying one myself... they're a thing of beauty.[/QUOTE]

No kidding...to even push the issue of the Camaro, I bought Transformers. When the new Camaro came on the TV, she said "oooh, that's pretty, what kind of car is that?" I said in a very surprised voice as if I had no idea that was in the movie, "well honey, that's the new camaro". haha.
I put my name in the hat for a new camaro in Phoenix. I'd like to get a mettalic silver one with black racing stripes.

Monkeydad 03-17-2008 01:28 PM

The new MALIBU looks FAR FAR better than either the Accord or Camry. Also, Toyota's reliability has really been slipping over the past few years and is going unreported. There's still a "Toyota is so reliable..." stereotype that is just applied without thinking or researching otherwise. A few coworkers of mine are preparing to trade their newer Toyotas in for Fords or GMs.

[URL="http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/16/toyota-hit-hard-by-new-consumer-reports-predicted-reliability-ra/"]Toyota hit hard by new Consumer Reports predicted reliability ratings - Autoblog[/URL]
[quote]
[SIZE=4][B]Toyota hit hard by new Consumer Reports predicted reliability ratings[/B][/SIZE]

So you thought Consumer Reports was biased in favor of imports, did you? [B]Today's release of CR's 2007 Annual Car Reliability Survey suggests otherwise, as the Toyota Camry V6, Tundra V8 4WD and Lexus GS AWD were all bumped from the magazine's vaunted "Recommended" list for receiving below average ratings. [/B]This news also has farther reaching effects, as CR will no longer recommend new or redesigned Toyotas based solely on the automaker's past reliability, a practice for which we dinged them back in August.

Meanwhile, Ford did very well in the new survey, with 41 out of 44 of its products scoring average or better in predicted reliability. Plus, the Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan and Ford F-150 V6 2WD were three of the only four domestic models that earned the label of "Most Reliable".

Follow the jump to find out which other brands made quality gains in the eyes of CR subscribers.

[Source: Consumer Reports]

Overall, however, Consumer Reports states on its blog that U.S. automakers still have a way to go, with 20 out of 44 models on the "Least Reliable" list belonging to domestic automakers. The European brands including Audi, BMW, Volvo, Porsche and Mercedes-Benz, are seeing improvements with specific models like the Audi A3, A4 and A6; BMW 3-, 5- and 7-Series, the Volvo S60 and Porsche 911 all earning above average ratings.

Love 'em or hate 'em, disagree with their testing and survey practices or not, but there's no denying that Consumer Reports holds a lot of sway with potential car buyers. Today's new will surely be felt by Toyota at some level, which for so long has enjoyed an unquestioned reign of superior quality that may be coming to an end soon.[/quote]
I've seen a lot of the new Malibus on the road and they look GREAT.

I'd recommend the dark grey or black:

[IMG]http://www.autoworld.com/news/chevrolet/08malibu.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2410/1788822202_8e3bf6d2ef.jpg?v=0[/IMG]
[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2413/1787953073_130da18a46.jpg?v=0[/IMG]

Get the V6 with a 6-speed and 26 MPG...
[URL="http://www.chevrolet.com/malibu/"]Chevrolet | 2008 All New Malibu from Chevy[/URL]

Monkeydad 03-17-2008 01:32 PM

If you're so worried about resale value that it makes you buy a car that you don't believe is the best-looking or best performer, just lease. If you are not planning on keeping the car long-term, don't buy, lease. Then you can get the car you really like the most without worrying about its value in 3 years and since you're buying cars that frequently, it will keep your payments low. If you don't drive too many miles and worry about resale...LEASE.

mheisig 03-17-2008 01:38 PM

[QUOTE=Buster;432598]If you're so worried about resale value that it makes you buy a car that you don't believe is the best-looking or best performer, just lease. If you are not planning on keeping the car long-term, don't buy, lease. Then you can get the car you really like the most without worrying about its value in 3 years and since you're buying cars that frequently, it will keep your payments low. If you don't drive too many miles and worry about resale...LEASE.[/QUOTE]

Except that the car's value in three years will determine your lease payment. Still kind of important.

steveo395 03-17-2008 10:31 PM

wait for the camaro

jsarno 03-18-2008 12:16 AM

Well guys, thanks for the info, but the search is over. We went up and bought the Camry XLE today.
Overall, it had the most amenities, and it was the smoothest and quietest ride out of the three. The keyless start and locking / unlocking mechanism is going to take some time to get used to, but it's kind of cool that there is no ignition. The car is fully loaded minus a navigation system (but I bought a Garmin Nuvi after market)...love the heated seats!
Thanks to all for the suggestions...I will try to post pictures soon.

MTK 03-18-2008 08:59 AM

Good luck with the new car. I'm shopping myself, I'm looking at the Fusion.

cpayne5 03-18-2008 09:11 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;432841]Good luck with the new car. I'm shopping myself, I'm looking at the Fusion.[/QUOTE]

The Fusion is a good car. Your brother still giving you crazy deals, I'm assuming?

MTK 03-18-2008 09:46 AM

[quote=cpayne5;432846]The Fusion is a good car. Your brother still giving you crazy deals, I'm assuming?[/quote]

yeah that's the main reason I'm sticking with Ford. As long as he works for them I'd be crazy to go elsewhere.

jsarno 03-18-2008 01:57 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;432841]Good luck with the new car. I'm shopping myself, I'm looking at the Fusion.[/QUOTE]

I've heard nothing but good things about the fusion. There is concern about resale value, but it's not really old enough to have an accurate depiction.
You can't go wrong with a great deal though. Good luck.