Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hair today, gone tomorrow? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23038)

MTK 03-31-2008 11:59 AM

Hair today, gone tomorrow?

What do you guys think? Should the NFL ban long hair hanging out of player's helmets?

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=wickersham_seth&id=3315138]ESPN - Hair today, gone tomorrow? - NFL[/url]

FRPLG 03-31-2008 12:01 PM

Re: Hair today, gone tomorrow?

I think this is pretty dumb. We're talking about hair. It's not like they don't have actual real issues to figure out. Hair? Really? Who cares how long their hair is and why?

BDBohnzie 03-31-2008 12:03 PM

Nope. Waste of time. Who cares if you can't read the name plate. The jersey number is the distinguishable way to know who is who anyways.

And if the player with long hair chooses to wear it long, they know the consequences that they can be pulled down by said hair...

KLHJ2 03-31-2008 12:12 PM

I do not feel that they should be able to make a player cut his hair, but they are within right to ban from protruding from the helmet. In the intrest of safety, I am for the idea.

MTK 03-31-2008 12:15 PM

I've never been a big fan of the long hair sticking out of the helmet look. I don't think that safety is the concern here, the NFL has always been very strict about the uniforms and I think this is just another example of that. Actually I'm surprised it wasn't addressed a few years ago.

KLHJ2 03-31-2008 12:21 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;435854]I've never been a big fan of the long hair sticking out of the helmet look. I don't think that safety is the concern here, the NFL has always been very strict about the uniforms and I think this is just another example of that. Actually I'm surprised it wasn't addressed a few years ago.[/quote]

The NFL cannot enforce complete uniformity. To make every player wear the same exact gloves, shoes, socks, or undershits is impossible for various reasons. I think that the NFL's best shot of banning long hair will be in the intrest of safety and not uniformity.

onlydarksets 03-31-2008 12:26 PM

[quote=angryssg;435856]The NFL cannot enforce complete uniformity. To make every player wear the same exact gloves, shoes, socks, or undershits is impossible for various reasons. I think that the NFL's best shot of banning long hair will be in the intrest of safety and not uniformity.[/quote]
I agree - remember when LJ pulled down Polomalu a couple of years ago? That could have been really bad.

KLHJ2 03-31-2008 12:27 PM

[quote=onlydarksets;435858]I agree - remember when LJ pulled down Polomalu a couple of years ago? That could have been really bad.[/quote]

I still get flashbacks.

riggins44 03-31-2008 12:28 PM

I'm not a big fan of the hair sticking out either, but it's the player's decision.
There has to be other issues that warrant more attention than lenght of players hair.

Redskins247 03-31-2008 12:48 PM

I think it's complete crap that it's even being discussed...the players should be able to wear their hair any way they want to.

KLHJ2 03-31-2008 12:52 PM

Its all about individuality untill somebody gets scalped. Then everyone asks why wasn't this rule enforced sooner.

hagams 03-31-2008 01:02 PM

Bunch of tree huggin hippies is what they are.

For real, this shouldn't be a topic. Next thing, you won't be able to dye your hair etc. I think that's it's another case of "We're reporting, nothing to report". I would think that the Leauge FO would have better things to do with thier time.

flashalexb 03-31-2008 01:02 PM

Yea but isn't it a horse collar if you pull a player down by his hair? I think they should make them cut it, because if it is a horse collar it is beneficial to the player. In the case of the LJ TP case,^ LJ had TPs nasty hair stuck to his hand.

dmek25 03-31-2008 01:07 PM

[quote=angryssg;435856][B]The NFL cannot enforce complete uniformity. To[/B] [B]make every player wear the same exact gloves, shoes, socks, or undershits is impossible for various reasons[/B]. I think that the NFL's best shot of banning long hair will be in the intrest of safety and not uniformity.[/quote]
this is a very inaccurate statement. every player that chooses to wear gloves will wear only N.F.L. approved gloves. same with the socks and undershirts. its so bad that the height of a players socks often comes into question. every game has a so called fashion police working. they are employed by the N.F.L and warn players about possible fines if the unis aren't adjusted. there is a way for the league to get guys to cut their hair. its just like the Yankee's, no long hair, or facial hair. basically, every employer could demand this, if wanted.

mheisig 03-31-2008 01:10 PM

[QUOTE=angryssg;435856]The NFL cannot enforce complete uniformity. To make every player wear the same exact gloves, shoes, socks, or [B]undershits[/B] is impossible for various reasons. I think that the NFL's best shot of banning long hair will be in the intrest of safety and not uniformity.[/QUOTE]

I hate it when someone where's the same undershit as I do...

KLHJ2 03-31-2008 01:25 PM

[quote=dmek25;435874]this is a very inaccurate statement. every player that chooses to wear gloves will wear only N.F.L. approved gloves. same with the socks and undershirts. its so bad that the height of a players socks often comes into question. every game has a so called fashion police working. they are employed by the N.F.L and warn players about possible fines if the unis aren't adjusted. there is a way for the league to get guys to cut their hair. its just like the Yankee's, no long hair, or facial hair. basically, every employer could demand this, if wanted.[/quote]

1. I know that, however the fines do not prevent them from doing whatever the hell they want. They will glady break the rules in spite of fines.

2. There is a difference between semi uniformity and complete uniformity. Complete uniformity does not, nor will it ever exist in the NFL.

Personally I do not like long hair, but to each his own. I understand that some cultures grow their hair out for whatever reason. They might have a hard time swallowing a pill that says you must look like everyone else. They did not join the Military. But if you say that you want them to tuck their hair for safety reasons, then you are not alienating a people with conflicting hair length beliefs; instead you are looking out for them.

It is just a way of attracting more flies with honey.

MTK 03-31-2008 02:10 PM

[quote=angryssg;435856]The NFL cannot enforce complete uniformity. To make every player wear the same exact gloves, shoes, socks, or undershits is impossible for various reasons. [B]I think that the NFL's best shot of banning long hair will be in the intrest of safety and not uniformity[/B].[/quote]

They can say that it's in the interest of safety but my point is it's probably not in the interest of safety given their history of nitpicking what players wear.

Jamaican'Skin 03-31-2008 02:26 PM

It seems silly to force all players to look the same. Who cares if they choose to have their hair sticking out? The players can still be identified. No one's hair is currently long enough to completely block their numbers, which, to me, are the most important items on the uniform. The players know the consequences of having long hair while playing. Allow them to use their own discretion.

GhettoDogAllStars 03-31-2008 04:08 PM

Isn't it against Rastafarian code to cut your hair? Seems like there could be some religious implications here.

Campbell17 03-31-2008 06:34 PM

It's a bigger disadvantage to the player with the ball anyway. Who cares?

chrisl4064 03-31-2008 06:41 PM

I do not have a problem with players having long hair, however if its going to rest over your pads it should be fair game to be tackled by, which i believe IS legal currently.

offfiss 03-31-2008 06:59 PM

They should all get mohawks like John Riggins used to have

MTK 03-31-2008 07:00 PM

Don't you have long hair, offiss?

offfiss 03-31-2008 07:09 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;436019]Don't you have long hair, offiss?[/QUOTE]

What are you stalking me? LOL. I have thick curly hair, but I cut it recently. As you know I'm a bodybuilder and little to no hair is good for competitions. Plus I'm balding LOL

That answer your question?

Stuck in TX 03-31-2008 08:26 PM

long hair should not be banned but it should be absolutely clear (even thought I think it is now) that the hair is part of the uniform, and that wearing it long is at the players own risk. We are going to hear about religeous, spiritual, and all kinds of other implications that are going to go on and on..... just leave it alone.

mooby 03-31-2008 10:14 PM

As a guy with long hair I feel like this is pretty ridiculous for the NFL to try and do. If a guy wants to grow his hair out, let him. I understand that it's perfectly legal to pull a guy down by his hair, and I think every guy in the NFL understands that too. This is just the NFL trying to stir up some news when nothing's happening. I understand the "uniformity" part but trying to make every player in the NFL fit a certain look is just stupid. The NFL can control what the players dress like on gameday, but they have no part in determining what each player should look like.

Stuck in TX 03-31-2008 10:16 PM

I like Goddell for the most part but he is coming off a little too conservative here.

KLHJ2 04-01-2008 09:05 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;435893]They can say that it's in the interest of safety but my point is it's probably not in the interest of safety given their history of nitpicking what players wear.[/quote]

Agreed

skinsfan69 04-01-2008 10:36 AM

[quote=offfiss;436023]What are you stalking me? LOL. I have thick curly hair, but I cut it recently. As you know I'm a bodybuilder and little to no hair is good for competitions. Plus I'm balding LOL

That answer your question?[/quote]

I train about 6 days a week but I do not compete. No hair is the way to go!!

ps. Not sure if this is TMI but I recently went out with a gal who made fun of me cause I shave off my arm hair.

KLHJ2 04-01-2008 11:12 AM

It has just occured to me that there are at least 5 guys on this site who claim(ed) to be either gym rats or body builders. Skinsfan69, offfffffisssssss, jsarno, GMScud and myself. Maybe we should do a men of the Warpath calendar.

I will bring my new beer gut.

MTK 04-01-2008 11:36 AM

[quote=angryssg;436249]It has just occured to me that there are at least 5 guys on this site who claim(ed) to be either gym rats or body builders. Skinsfan69, offfffffisssssss, jsarno, GMScud and myself. Maybe we should do a men of the Warpath calendar.

I will bring my new beer gut.[/quote]

I'd like to see some pics of these self professed body builders so we can see if there are real muscles or just internet muscles.

KLHJ2 04-01-2008 12:00 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;436268]I'd like to see some pics of these self professed body builders so we can see if there are real muscles or just internet muscles.[/quote]

I will admit that mine are internet only right now. I have become a civilian with a beer gut. I am disgusted with myself.

Edit I had to remove that link it was wierding me out.

skinsfan69 04-01-2008 12:45 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;436268]I'd like to see some pics of these self professed body builders so we can see if there are real muscles or just internet muscles.[/quote]

LOL!! I'm not posting any pictures but I go about 6'2 240lbs. If you pull up any posts on steriods/HGH I'm usually they guy that sides with the players cause I know it doesn't really help as much as the media says it does.

On a side note... Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you guys at the HOF in Aug. Is there going to be some type of Warpath meet-up?

Daseal 04-01-2008 03:15 PM

The only valid issue I can see with this comes via safety. And not someone getting tackled by their hair, that's a risk any player with long hair is aware of and accepts. On NFL radio Al Harris came on shortly after cutting his hair (used to have dreds) and said his helmet size shrunk two sizes. The most important thing in NFL safety is the helmet, and if it doesn't have a snug fit to your head it isn't doing its job.

If there's any reason besides that for it, I disagree. If that's the reason and research shows it's much safer, then I'd have to agree.

PWNED 04-01-2008 04:02 PM

and dreadlocks piss me off is another good reason.

GhettoDogAllStars 08-31-2010 01:34 AM

[url=http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a206c7/article/hair-net-steelers-s-polamalus-locks-insured-for-1-million]NFL.com news: Hair net: Steelers S Polamalu's locks insured for $1 million[/url]

PITTSBURGH -- Just call Troy Polamalu the man with the million dollar hair.

The long, flowing black hair that tumbles out of Polamalu's helmet and down his back -- it's nearly three feet long -- has been insured for $1 million by Head and Shoulders, the shampoo brand that is endorsed by the Pittsburgh Steelers safety.

Gmanc711 08-31-2010 06:57 AM

As long as the player understands the risk associated with having long hair (Ie; getting tackled by it).... I dont think the NFL should step in and do anything here.

artmonkforhallofamein07 08-31-2010 08:52 AM

I think at this point the NFL will not do something like this, this is also a 2 year old topic.

That is crazy that head and shoulders insured TP's hair though!!

GhettoDogAllStars 08-31-2010 09:35 AM

I was going to make a thread about it, but I thought, "Dude's got a million dollar insurance policy on his hair, and now he wants his own thread too?!" Players these days are so entitled...

irish 08-31-2010 09:38 AM

If a player wants to wear his hair outside the helmet then they know the risk that it can be grabbed and ripped out of their head. This is a non-issue.