Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bryant Gumble No longer doing Play By Play (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23171)

sportscurmudgeon 04-12-2008 02:13 PM

Re: Bryant Gumble No longer doing Play By Play

NFLN should bring in Ian Eagle from CBS. At the moment, he's buried at CBS doing the fourth or fifth best game every weekend - - and he is extremely good as a play-by-play man.

Pairing him with Colinsworth might work very well. It has to be better than Bryant Gumble on the mic...

MTK 04-12-2008 02:15 PM

They should scrape together the old ESPN Sunday night crew.

Mike Patrick, Joey T, and Paul Maguire.

sportscurmudgeon 04-12-2008 02:22 PM

Matty:

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Personally, I never want to hear Joe Thesimann doing color on a telecast again. Not ever! The other two guys are fine, but not Theismann.

Daseal 04-12-2008 02:47 PM

Please god keep Thesiman away from a microphone.

jsnyder03 04-12-2008 03:27 PM

This news just made my day! After a six yard gain on third and one I don't want to hear "and he appears to have a first down".

Even after a slight improvement from year 1 to year two, he was still the worst I can ever recollect.

Skinny Tee 04-12-2008 04:03 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;439273]They should boot Collinsworth too and revamp the booth. CC isn't horrible but they can do much better.[/quote]

No, CC is horrible. I just feel like the guy is going fake baratone just to prove that he's a gruff ex-football player. Voice sounds affected to me, I've never liked the guy. He has a douchey quality to him.

Listening to Gumbel was like listening to somebody read the instructions of a new board game your about to play. I found myself wanting him to quickly shut up so we can just get to the game.

Stuck in TX 04-12-2008 05:45 PM

I could not stand Gumble and am glad to see him go. He would do great for CNN reading the news or something. I am a little bitter at Collinsworth b/c he said last season that of all the teams that were to make the playoffs, the Redskins were the least likely. The way our schedual looked, a non-redskins fan may agree, but the way he said it and then laughed after.... Stupid prick. We sure showed him!!

SmootSmack 04-12-2008 06:18 PM

I don't know exactly what happened but I'm going to guess that BG was asked to take a paycut and refused. But good riddance is right, Hell's broadcast booth is Gumble with Emmitt Smith doing color. Maybe throw in Bill Maas for good measure.

I think they might give Sam Rosen a call

SC Skins Fan 04-12-2008 08:29 PM

[quote=Skinny Tee;439303]No, CC is horrible. I just feel like the guy is going fake baratone just to prove that he's a gruff ex-football player. Voice sounds affected to me, I've never liked the guy. He has a douchey quality to him.

Listening to Gumbel was like listening to somebody read the instructions of a new board game your about to play. I found myself wanting him to quickly shut up so we can just get to the game.[/quote]

The worst thing about CC IMO is how he rides the jock of whoever is doing well at that particular moment. When momentum shifts he starts sniffing the jock of someone else, even when it blatantly contradicts previous statements he made. Getting rid of Gumbel only gets rid of 1/2 of NFLN's problems. Ok, maybe 3/4.

onlydarksets 04-12-2008 09:21 PM

About time. Take a hint, ESPN - let's clean up the MNF crew, now.

BleedBurgundy 04-12-2008 10:58 PM

Personally, I've grown to like Collinsworth over the years. From what I've read, he actually does put the time in watching film and he definitely comes off as "informed" when working a game. I don't really understand what everyone has against him...?

Stuck in TX 04-12-2008 11:57 PM

[QUOTE=BleedBurgundy;439336]Personally, I've grown to like Collinsworth over the years. From what I've read, he actually does put the time in watching film and he definitely comes off as "informed" when working a game. I don't really understand what everyone has against him...?[/QUOTE]

Its not that hes a bad announcer, he really isnt bad. And I loved him in Fox NFL sunday Pregame Show. I think he was way more entertaining than Jimmy Johnson. No one likes him because the man is a tool. He should just announce b/c thats what hes good at. Leave the fake opinions at home and stop trying to say what you think everyone wants to hear. And again, we cannot say it enough, and just to stay on topic, good riddance to Bryant Gumble.

saden1 04-13-2008 12:32 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;439273]They should boot Collinsworth too and revamp the booth. [B]CC isn't horrible[/B] but they can do much better.[/quote]

No you didn't!

EternalEnigma21 04-13-2008 12:39 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;439316]\Hell's broadcast booth is Gumble with Emmitt Smith doing color. [/quote]

yup.

FRPLG 04-13-2008 01:32 AM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;439316]Hell's broadcast booth is Gumble with Emmitt Smith doing color. Maybe throw in Bill Maas for good measure.[/QUOTE]

I think even Hell would be debacled in that case.