Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Another side to the "I'm a man! I'm 40!" rant (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23185)

Rajmahal33 04-14-2008 01:35 PM

Another side to the "I'm a man! I'm 40!" rant

Remember the "I'm a man! I'm 40!" rant that OSU coach Mike Gundy went on to basically 'defend' his benched QB Bobby Reid, apparently there is another side to this story...

[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3341578&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos2"]Reid: Gundy's rant "basically ended my life"[/URL]

The article is a bit long but its well-written and raises some question. I personally think that the rant was somewhat genuine and somewhat embellished.

Maybe we will hear this kid's name in next year's draft or maybe we will never hear from him again. I guess only time will tell

SkinsLove24/7 04-14-2008 07:00 PM

Re: Another side to the "I'm a man! I'm 40!" rant

Wow, interesting article. The rant did seem genuine and bottom line was that he was defending one of his players but it is understandable that the kid would be upset. I hope he plays well and does get drafted and can put that experience behind him.

djnemo65 04-14-2008 09:51 PM

I love Tom Friend as he always manages to get the side of a story that the rest of the media misses (the Archuleta rant notwithstanding). His stories make you think even if you don't end up agreeing with them.

And this is one I don't happen to agree with. You can't fault the coach for making a qb change that was successful. You can't fault him for thinking a player who is injured all the time is not the right leader for the team. At the end of the day, I think there is a big difference between privately thinking a player is soft and funneling that information to the media, and there's no evidence that Gundy did that.

This article makes it seem as if Gundy almost was trying to undermine the QB, and I really don't think that was or is the case.

FRPLG 04-14-2008 11:41 PM

Maybe Reid IS a wuss. Seriously it seems the kid needs to grow a set.

Dirtbag59 04-17-2008 12:03 AM

That article is sooooooooooo freaking long. I need the abridged version or something.

Riggo44 04-17-2008 02:18 PM

[QUOTE=Dirtbag359;440250]That article is sooooooooooo freaking long. I need the abridged version or something.[/QUOTE]

I agree! I read the first half and quit. Maybe my eyes are made of tin.

lwiedy 04-17-2008 11:43 PM

[QUOTE=FRPLG;439679]Maybe Reid IS a wuss. Seriously it seems the kid needs to grow a set.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this kid’s got some emotional problems. To even consider going to the extreme of standing outside of a window to get attention for his plight of not being a starting QB is a cry for help.

Perhaps it is naive to say such a situation is an “internal matter” but the coach benched a guy he felt was not up to the job (perfectly within his right) and didn’t believe that it had to be made a public issue beyond what he wished to reveal.

Gundy’s “cardinal sin” was taking on the media. They are very tight as a collective group and anyone who challenges their motives is going to get roasted by basically everyone from the most accessible public outlets (paper, TV, radio). And he did.

I know nothing of this coach or player beyond the original article, the rant and this piece. If the player claims this episode “ruined his life” then he didn’t have much of one to start with. It appears that it take very little to set this kid off. The world is loaded with success stories of those were down and persevered. This kid seems to be looking for an excuse to give up.