Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Should posts in the parking lot count towards total post counts? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23286)

MTK 04-24-2008 03:16 PM

Should posts in the parking lot count towards total post counts?

Another issue I really don't care about either way so let's vote, majority wins.

EARTHQUAKE2689 04-24-2008 03:25 PM

Re: Should posts in the parking lot count towards total post counts?

I think they should count only in the off-season like February to August but September to Janurary they should not count.

70Chip 04-24-2008 03:28 PM

I vote yes. And if the majority says no I think existing post counts should be grandfathered.

12thMan 04-24-2008 03:30 PM

Hey, I thought I was a Pro Bowler before. What happened?

MTK 04-24-2008 03:34 PM

Sorry guys it's either yes or no. I'm not going to turn it on or off depending on the time of the year and play that game.

EARTHQUAKE2689 04-24-2008 03:38 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;442513]Sorry guys it's either yes or no. I'm not going to turn it on or off depending on the time of the year and play that game.[/quote]

oh ok i vote yes i thought that is what the other guy thought

BigSKINBauer 04-24-2008 03:39 PM

i see no reason why they should count. It is side conversation. I would think it is pretty clear cut.

TheMalcolmConnection 04-24-2008 04:12 PM

I don't care, but I really wonder why some people DO care?

Schneed10 04-24-2008 04:21 PM

Rep points and post counts mean so little that starting a poll and a thread is already expending way too much energy on the subject. I'd just leave it and if people whine, turn a deaf ear.

BleedBurgundy 04-24-2008 04:23 PM

Why even display them then? Actually, why DO we display them? They are truly not necessary. Everybody knows who the "key" contributors are, with the exception of n00bs.

edit- Ha, I broke the tie!

JGisLordOfTheRings 04-24-2008 06:17 PM

I vote yes. Why should some posts count and not others? Because of WHERE they were posted?

I say either totally erase post counts all together OR make them all count everywhere. I like what Quake said too. Having Parking lot posts only count in the offseason would be nice, but it may just be another unneeded headache.

mooby 04-24-2008 06:29 PM

I vote yes too. Like people have said, some people make ridiculously stupid posts in the Redskins forum and it gets added to their post count. But in the Parking Lot, we have a pretty even mix of not too serious threads and threads that really contribute to the site, where we learn other members' opinions on real world issues and things of that nature.

I think if you are going to take post counts away in the Parking Lot, then why not take post counts away period? The members of this site that all contribute or know one another pretty much form their opinion of other members of the site, so post count shouldn't really matter. Some of the newbies that come on this site get intimated by members that have been here for 3+ years and have thousands of posts, but if post count wasn't revealed next to the post there wouldn't be a problem. Seeing as how we all pretty much know one another, should post count really matter?

A possible solution would be to hide the post count next to a person's post, but have it viewable if you click on a person's profile. That way the only way to see a person's PC is if you really wanted to. Why not make posts count, but not viewable. Post count shouldn't really be that big of a deal. In my opinion the best solution would be either A. Make all posts count, but have a person's post count not viewable on their mini-profile, or B. Just take away the post count period.

SmootSmack 04-24-2008 06:39 PM

[QUOTE=mooby;442573]I vote yes too. Like people have said, some people make ridiculously stupid posts in the Redskins forum and it gets added to their post count. But in the Parking Lot, we have a pretty even mix of not too serious threads and threads that really contribute to the site, where we learn other members' opinions on real world issues and things of that nature.

I think if you are going to take post counts away in the Parking Lot, then why not take post counts away period? The members of this site that all contribute or know one another pretty much form their opinion of other members of the site, so post count shouldn't really matter. Some of the newbies that come on this site get intimated by members that have been here for 3+ years and have thousands of posts, but if post count wasn't revealed next to the post there wouldn't be a problem. Seeing as how we all pretty much know one another, should post count really matter?

[B]A possible solution would be to hide the post count next to a person's post, but have it viewable if you click on a person's profile. That way the only way to see a person's PC is if you really wanted to. Why not make posts count, but not viewable.[/B] Post count shouldn't really be that big of a deal. In my opinion the best solution would be either A. Make all posts count, but have a person's post count not viewable on their mini-profile, or B. Just take away the post count period.[/QUOTE]

That's not a bad idea

Lady Brave 04-24-2008 07:51 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;442576]That's not a bad idea[/quote]
We did that last year. Matty just never fixed the code after changing templates or something.

[URL]http://www.redskinswarpath.com/playbook/16734-suggestion-post-counts.html?highlight=post+count[/URL]

JoeRedskin 04-24-2008 08:45 PM

I voted yes, but only b/c the coin I flipped came up heads.

Post counts, rep points, all are nice and serve a limited purpose. The key to post counts is that the purpose is limited and is aimed more at those unfamiliar with the board. While I agree with Schneed and LadyBrave that post counts are pretty meaningless as to the actual value of the poster, I have a tendency to remenisce when I hit a milestone, and I imagine a few others do too. It's not so much that the count is important, it's just a reminder of the time I have been here. For different people this will occur at different times. I remember joking with Earthquake that he would hit 4000 before I hit 2000 (he did :) ). I did a "1999" milestone, half in jest half just to say "I love you guys".

So whatever happens with post counts is fine. Are they useful? To a degree, is including parking lot posts consistent with the original post count purpose? probably. After anyone has been here more than a few months will it matter? No.

And I ask again - Is the offseason over yet?