Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Crazy Draft Idea (But you might just like it) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23313)

Slingin Sammy 33 04-26-2008 02:18 PM

Re: Crazy Draft Idea (But you might just like it)

[quote=Schneed10;443075]Retarded thread.[/quote]
You are correct, agreed. Extremely retarded thread.

On NFL Network last night they had a show on draft trades and discussed the Skins 1st round pick to the Saints for the entire draft to get Ricky Williams. Every analyst said the same thing....no one player is worth more than a 1st & 2nd round pick let alone a whole draft. You can't win in football with one player. Thank God skinsfan242 isn't our GM.

MTK 04-26-2008 02:19 PM

[quote=skinsfan242;443099]A logical response of why this is not a good idea would be appreciated.[/quote]

way too much to give up for one player who's no guarantee to be any better than someone we could take at #21

SmootSmack 04-26-2008 02:26 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfan242;443099]A logical response of why this is not a good idea would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

See posts 2-4

Slingin Sammy 33 04-26-2008 02:32 PM

[quote=skinsfan242;443099]A logical response of why this is not a good idea would be appreciated.[/quote]
1) Where do you get these picks from for Dorsey, next year's draft? There are concerns about Dorsey's motor, he can be hot & cold. Some analysts have Ellis from USC rated higher. I'm not giving up a 1, 2, 3, and 7 for a guy with a question mark who isn't rated much higher than the # 2 & #3 DEs on the board.

2) Chris Long should be a solid strong side DE for 8-10 years, but he doesn't generate much of a pass rush. Why would I give a 1, 2, 3 & 7 up for a guy who may be rated a bit better than Merling and Jackson, but not "off the charts" better, and has basically the same skills.

3) There are folks much better at cap stuff than me, but having to sign the # 2 & #3 picks in the draft would not bode well for our cap situation now or in out years. We could obtain 5+ players for less than we would be investing in two. Don't forget there is labor strife looming and an upcapped year may be coming within 3 years, how do we pay these two in an uncapped year plus all our other players

4) What if one of them is a bust, now you've set the franchise back a minimum of 2-3 years.

5) What if one of them has a serious injury, now you've set the franchise back 2-3 years.

Don't buy into the ESPN, NFLN and other media hype on these guys. If they were so "off the chart" great to give up basically a whole draft, either one would've been drafted #1 by Miami instead of Jake Long. The media folks hype this stuff up to get ratings, it's the nature of the beast. No problem with floating the idea, but if you're gonna float a very bad idea and then ask for logical rebuttals you're probably gonna get flamed pretty good.

SC Skins Fan 04-26-2008 02:40 PM

[quote=Slingin Sammy 33;443108]1)
2) Chris Long should be a solid strong side DE for 8-10 years, but he doesn't generate much of a pass rush. Why would I give a 1, 2, 3 & 7 up for a guy who may be rated a bit better than Merling and Jackson, but not "off the charts" better, and has basically the same skills.

Don't buy into the ESPN, NFLN and other media hype on these guys. If they were so "off the chart" great to give up basically a whole draft, either one would've been drafted #1 by Miami instead of Jake Long. The media folks hype this stuff up to get ratings, it's the nature of the beast. No problem with floating the idea, but if you're gonna float a very bad idea and then ask for logical rebuttals you're probably gonna get flamed pretty good.[/quote]

These parts of your post are off. Long had 14 sacks playing a two-gap 3-4 end and will generate pass rush. He doesn't fit well in a 3-4 IMO and I don't think the Dolphins not picking him proves much.

Now, that being said, even IF that was a good idea for the Redskins (and it isn't) I don't even think the points add up. It would actually take more than that and the Rams wouldn't even consider that offer. You're still off by more than 1,200 points ... a high first round pick.

skinsfan242 04-26-2008 02:51 PM

Ok. That's all I was asking for. I understand the ramifications of it if we miss on one of these players. It would be a BIG gamble and I'm obviously only thinking of the positive side of the equations. I'm just not crazy of who we may end up with and I really thing these players are going to be studs. I hope we can trade down, or up a few spots to get Albert. Should be an interesting day.
Thank you to those who posted real responses.