Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Crazy Draft Idea (But you might just like it) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23313)

skinsfan242 04-26-2008 11:47 AM

Crazy Draft Idea (But you might just like it)

I know most of you won't like this but think of it for a second.

Trade 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 7th round pick for pick #2. Take Glen Dorsey

Trade 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 7th round pick for pick #3. Take Chris Long.

We still have a third round pick to take the best WR available.

Our defensive line is set for many many years. Think about Dorsey, Griffin, Long, Montgomery, Carter, Golston, and sometimes Wilson.

I know you lose some value picks but really it could be worth the risk. Long and Dorsey by themselves are going to be studs for 10 plus years.

MTK 04-26-2008 11:52 AM

Re: Crazy Draft Idea (But you might just like it)

Too much to give up IMO. This team could really benefit from a stockpile of young quality depth.

AlvinWalton'sNeckBrace 04-26-2008 11:53 AM

so where does this leave us at CB, LB depth, QB depth, and OL?

SmootSmack 04-26-2008 12:09 PM

No offense, but I'd rather trade Portis to move up to get McFadden (and that's a terrible move).

We'd be sacrificing needs at so many other positions and for what? Our defensive line would hardly be set. Griffin has a year or two left. Golston is an overachiever who may not be here past this upcoming season. Wilson is very good at what he does, but he really only does one thing.

Not a good idea

FRPLG 04-26-2008 12:23 PM

If you know we wont like it then why did you post it? Did you think the ever convincing argument of "think about it" would put us over the top? Holy moly.

"Hey I've got an idea that you all are going to hate but here it is anyways and I'll give you no reasons whatsoever to change your mind to boot." is basically what you did.

FAIL.

ptracy20 04-26-2008 12:25 PM

Thank god your not the GM

Dirtbag59 04-26-2008 12:31 PM

Try posting something like this in the Day 1 thread. Random opinion threads aren't usually well recieved here or ironcially at ES. However for some reason people start them almost daily (over at ES).

Smoot and Matty, with the draft coming up, we're destined to get a bunch of ES like threads that belong in already existing threads. Is there any way you guys can stop the madness before it starts?

I don't want to wake up on Monday and see threads like:

[I]Was our draft class better then the Cowboys

Why we should have traded for McFadden

Sexy Surprise Thread

Should we have gone DL/DB/OL/WR in the 1st round

Is Anthony Mix Still a Factor

Travis Henry????????????///???///?slash???

I wunt trude 4 Chard Junson wit next yr's 1st rund pick

Wil our (insert our 1st pick here) be better then Lavar

My Ultimate Post June-1st Free Agent Plan: Better then Cerrato's[/I]

SmootSmack 04-26-2008 12:49 PM

Don't worry we've got it covered.

skinsfan242 04-26-2008 12:49 PM

Some of you guys need to loosen up it is a just an idea. Some of you I understand your points. IMO I think it is a decent idea.

Who are we going to draft instead? Merling? Kelly? They may be good, but I would rather not take the risk on either.

If you get Dorsey and Long and plug them in next to Carter and Montgomery you are set for a LONG LONG time. Having a dominant dline will make our LB's and Secondary even better. We know we have some young talent back there because they had to play last year.

Now we still have a third round, 5th, 6th, and two sevenths to take as many young Oline positions, and a QB and hopefully one or two pans out. WE WOULD HAVE 7 PICKS THIS YEAR.

As for the other positions you guys are listening to the media TOO much. We have young talent on this team, if you watched them play last year you would know that.

Now I'm all for keeping draft picks and not trading for veterens but we are not talking about trading for veterens we are talking about trading for YOUNG sure fire probowlers at a position that we always wished we had a dominant player.

When you look at it it looks like alot but when you look at who we are thinking of drafting this year outside of Brandon Albert (who I love to have) it really is not that much of a risk is it?

chrisl4064 04-26-2008 12:53 PM

I personally dont mind trading up in the draft, if it means getting a quality player im all for it. That being said, I think the falcons and rams both know the value of these players. I just couldnt see it happening even if we tried.

Schneed10 04-26-2008 01:17 PM

Retarded thread.

Stuck in TX 04-26-2008 01:39 PM

[QUOTE=Schneed10;443075]Retarded thread.[/QUOTE]

ditto

Dirtbag59 04-26-2008 01:42 PM

Dead Man Pile Up

[quote=Schneed10;443075]Retarded thread.[/quote]

I concur.

skinsfan242 04-26-2008 02:11 PM

A logical response of why this is not a good idea would be appreciated.

Gmanc711 04-26-2008 02:18 PM

No No No No No No NO

Slingin Sammy 33 04-26-2008 02:18 PM

[quote=Schneed10;443075]Retarded thread.[/quote]
You are correct, agreed. Extremely retarded thread.

On NFL Network last night they had a show on draft trades and discussed the Skins 1st round pick to the Saints for the entire draft to get Ricky Williams. Every analyst said the same thing....no one player is worth more than a 1st & 2nd round pick let alone a whole draft. You can't win in football with one player. Thank God skinsfan242 isn't our GM.

MTK 04-26-2008 02:19 PM

[quote=skinsfan242;443099]A logical response of why this is not a good idea would be appreciated.[/quote]

way too much to give up for one player who's no guarantee to be any better than someone we could take at #21

SmootSmack 04-26-2008 02:26 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfan242;443099]A logical response of why this is not a good idea would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

See posts 2-4

Slingin Sammy 33 04-26-2008 02:32 PM

[quote=skinsfan242;443099]A logical response of why this is not a good idea would be appreciated.[/quote]
1) Where do you get these picks from for Dorsey, next year's draft? There are concerns about Dorsey's motor, he can be hot & cold. Some analysts have Ellis from USC rated higher. I'm not giving up a 1, 2, 3, and 7 for a guy with a question mark who isn't rated much higher than the # 2 & #3 DEs on the board.

2) Chris Long should be a solid strong side DE for 8-10 years, but he doesn't generate much of a pass rush. Why would I give a 1, 2, 3 & 7 up for a guy who may be rated a bit better than Merling and Jackson, but not "off the charts" better, and has basically the same skills.

3) There are folks much better at cap stuff than me, but having to sign the # 2 & #3 picks in the draft would not bode well for our cap situation now or in out years. We could obtain 5+ players for less than we would be investing in two. Don't forget there is labor strife looming and an upcapped year may be coming within 3 years, how do we pay these two in an uncapped year plus all our other players

4) What if one of them is a bust, now you've set the franchise back a minimum of 2-3 years.

5) What if one of them has a serious injury, now you've set the franchise back 2-3 years.

Don't buy into the ESPN, NFLN and other media hype on these guys. If they were so "off the chart" great to give up basically a whole draft, either one would've been drafted #1 by Miami instead of Jake Long. The media folks hype this stuff up to get ratings, it's the nature of the beast. No problem with floating the idea, but if you're gonna float a very bad idea and then ask for logical rebuttals you're probably gonna get flamed pretty good.

SC Skins Fan 04-26-2008 02:40 PM

[quote=Slingin Sammy 33;443108]1)
2) Chris Long should be a solid strong side DE for 8-10 years, but he doesn't generate much of a pass rush. Why would I give a 1, 2, 3 & 7 up for a guy who may be rated a bit better than Merling and Jackson, but not "off the charts" better, and has basically the same skills.

Don't buy into the ESPN, NFLN and other media hype on these guys. If they were so "off the chart" great to give up basically a whole draft, either one would've been drafted #1 by Miami instead of Jake Long. The media folks hype this stuff up to get ratings, it's the nature of the beast. No problem with floating the idea, but if you're gonna float a very bad idea and then ask for logical rebuttals you're probably gonna get flamed pretty good.[/quote]

These parts of your post are off. Long had 14 sacks playing a two-gap 3-4 end and will generate pass rush. He doesn't fit well in a 3-4 IMO and I don't think the Dolphins not picking him proves much.

Now, that being said, even IF that was a good idea for the Redskins (and it isn't) I don't even think the points add up. It would actually take more than that and the Rams wouldn't even consider that offer. You're still off by more than 1,200 points ... a high first round pick.

skinsfan242 04-26-2008 02:51 PM

Ok. That's all I was asking for. I understand the ramifications of it if we miss on one of these players. It would be a BIG gamble and I'm obviously only thinking of the positive side of the equations. I'm just not crazy of who we may end up with and I really thing these players are going to be studs. I hope we can trade down, or up a few spots to get Albert. Should be an interesting day.
Thank you to those who posted real responses.