Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Overall Draft Grade for the Redskins (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23353)

MTK 04-27-2008 07:13 PM

Overall Draft Grade for the Redskins

vote and discuss

EARTHQUAKE2689 04-27-2008 07:14 PM

Re: Overall Draft Grade for the Redskins

I picked a B very good draft throughout but it is really hard grade a draft an A before anyone plays.

grim4coach 04-27-2008 07:16 PM

danny boy and vinny are f-ing retarded

MTK 04-27-2008 07:17 PM

[quote=grim4coach;444786]danny boy and vinny are f-ing retarded[/quote]

So are you by the way.

Thanks for the brilliant analysis, care to elaborate?

12thMan 04-27-2008 07:17 PM

I'm going with a B. I think if we get a stud DE in addition to all the others we landed, then it's A for sure.

I really think all three will see a lot of playing time and it wouldn't suprise me to see at least two of the top three picks start.

SeanTaylor21 04-27-2008 07:19 PM

I voted A, because I was hoping they would get weapons for JC, and thats what they did, and also got the best punter in NCAA.

Slingin Sammy 33 04-27-2008 07:21 PM

Who let the ES poster in here.

SmootSmack 04-27-2008 07:22 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;444788]So are you by the way.

Thanks for the brilliant analysis, care to elaborate?[/QUOTE]

Why bother? The idiot wants Grim for coach. Who the hell is Grim?

B for me. I'd like to give it a B+.

12thMan 04-27-2008 07:23 PM

Seriously, I challenge anyone, not arrogantly, to go back and remember the games we lost last year. I think you'll/we'll find that the offense failed time and time again to convert in the Red Zone and at times had problems stretching the field.

Now some of that I'll certainly chalk up to JC's growing curb, but still we had issues offensively. Besides drafting the punter, I think my second favorite pick is Fred Davis.

EARTHQUAKE2689 04-27-2008 07:23 PM

See it is crap like this that gets me angry on a Sunday. Man that is a great analysis you should really be a draft expert! Jackass.

Soup's Uncle 04-27-2008 07:24 PM

The kicker we got I think was a steal. Frosty was inconsistent and mediocre. Maybe a Punter wasn't the top need, but this dude can frickin kick.

I feel, like probably everyone else, if we would ahve gotten a bad ass DE, then it would have been an A+.

I give it an A- b/c I like ppretty much all of the picks. I watched all weekend. The only surprise to me was the Punter pickm but like I said, my feelings have changed.

SFREDSKIN 04-27-2008 07:25 PM

I'll grade them a B for now. If somehow they can sign Erin Henderson and Marcus Dixon to FA contracts, then a solid A.

EARTHQUAKE2689 04-27-2008 07:26 PM

[quote=12thMan;444797]Seriously, I challenge anyone, not arrogantly, to look go back and remember the games we lost last year, and you'll find that the offense failed time and time again to convert in the Red Zone and at times had problems stretching the field.

Now some of that I'll certainly chalk up to JC growing curb, but still, we had issues offensively. Besides drafting the punter, I think my second favorite pick is Fred Davis.[/quote]

When I think about it may favorite pick was both of the Wide Recievers after thinking about it, we really dont have a number 1. Moss is a good number 2 and ARE is a 3 at best, so these two guys Thomas and Kelly could end up being an extremely good tandem.

EternalEnigma21 04-27-2008 07:26 PM

Seems like a solid B+. It could go either way, though. We needed a big possession wideout and between the two we should at least get one solid starter. I'm curious about getting a high rated tight end... I hope we have enough balls to go around. I thought we could've addressed the secondary a bit more, and I'm still not sure about the corner we picked up... or drafting a punter when we had more pressing needs and there were better values out there, but they probably know something more than I do...

I think B+

MPNRedskins 04-27-2008 07:27 PM

At first, I was surprised when the Redskins traded out of the first round. However, I was very happy with who Washington picked throughout the draft. Very well laid out plan by the "Command Staff" of the Redskins. I'm looking forward to this year and years to come.

12thMan 04-27-2008 07:28 PM

Also, you have to look at our draft in the context of what our divisional opponents did and what holes they tried to fill.

Dallas stocked up on running backs. Has it occurred to anyone that after Marion Barber, they don't have much by way of back up running backs? It's worth keeping an eye on as the season unfolds.

12thMan 04-27-2008 07:30 PM

[quote=EternalEnigma21;444805]Seems like a solid B+. It could go either way, though. We needed a big possession wideout and between the two we should at least get one solid starter. I'm curious about getting a high rated tight end... I hope we have enough balls to go around. I thought we could've addressed the secondary a bit more, and I'm still not sure about the corner we picked up... or drafting a punter when we had more pressing needs and there were better values out there, but they probably know something more than I do...

I think B+[/quote]

You know if you look at the punter "almost" as defender, we may have gotten a pretty good deal.

prinzeofmoval 04-27-2008 07:30 PM

im going with an A on this one..i was a little pissed not geting chad and steaming when we traded our first but we got the best TE in college last year..Two big play recievers and the gun slinging Qb i've been raving about for the last 3 months(see Colt brennan Thread)..Also This lineman we picked up should be a stud...Wow so this is what a actual complete draft looks like..;)

Soup's Uncle 04-27-2008 07:31 PM

Yeah, and the Giants beefed up their secondary, so it's good to get some weapons to challenge the champs.

saden1 04-27-2008 07:31 PM

A for the first day, B for the second day -> B+.

Time will tell if this was a good draft but I have a feeling that all of our first day picks well contribute from day one. And while the two safeties we drafted aren't something to celebrate I'm guessing at least one of them will be a decent role player.

12thMan 04-27-2008 07:33 PM

Anybody besides me hoping Chad R. will push old man Kendall in training camp? I mean, hoping he's like damn near starting material. I know I am.

SC Skins Fan 04-27-2008 07:34 PM

I'd say B+/A (but gave it a B). Upon some reflection I might give it an A. They made their board, took the best available player, and MOST IMPORTANTLY they worked the draft and picking up extra picks along the way. Didn't just stand pat, but instead dropped down when possible to get more picks. One issue is that we really didn't get any DL help until very late, but if they passed on Campbell then obviously they didn't like him. Charley Casserly actually backed up passing on Campbell and said he thought he was a better fit as a five technique in a 3-4. After Chris Long and Derrick Harvey I wasn't all that enamored with the other DE prospects and Merling was gone by 34. Groves is a RE and really they need a LE. From what I've seen of Thomas and Kelly I like those picks - especially Thomas. If the guard from Northern Iowa turns into a good backup and eventually a replacement for Kendall then it will look like a strong draft ... we'll just hope Daniels will hold out for another year, that Chris Wilson develops as a situational pass rusher, and Demetric Evans can serve as a decent backup.

Daseal 04-27-2008 07:39 PM

I think a low A, I gave it an A. I love our draft. We got more steals than anyone else in the draft as far as Im concerned. Im still not sold on the TE pick in the 2nd, but love the two WRs. Any way you slice it those 3 guys could have been first round picks.

BrunellMVP? 04-27-2008 07:42 PM

I'm not sure I understand what went down trade wise (later trades)... Did we accumulate more picks for next year?

12thMan 04-27-2008 07:44 PM

[quote=BrunellMVP?;444831]I'm not sure I understand what went down trade wise (later trades)... Did we accumulate more picks for next year?[/quote]

I don't think we got any picks for next year.

saden1 04-27-2008 07:46 PM

[quote=Daseal;444826]I think a low A, I gave it an A. I love our draft. We got more steals than anyone else in the draft as far as Im concerned. [B] Im still not sold on the TE pick in the 2nd[/B], but love the two WRs. Any way you slice it those 3 guys could have been first round picks.[/quote]

Why? Having two great TE is better than having just one.

cooleyforthescore 04-27-2008 07:56 PM

B+. I'm a little concerned that our top 3 picks slipped so far, but I obviously don't have the info that professional scouts have. I don't think we made any panic picks, in fact, I think passing on calais was a good move, especially since miami DEs traditionally underachieve.

mooby 04-27-2008 07:59 PM

It's a B for me but it has potential to become an A 3 or so years down the road if half these guys make the team and become solid contributers/starters eventually.

Ruhskins 04-27-2008 07:59 PM

[QUOTE=cooleyforthescore;444849]B+. I'm a little concerned that our top 3 picks slipped so far, but I obviously don't have the info that professional scouts have. I don't think we made any panic picks, in fact, I think passing on calais was a good move, especially since miami DEs traditionally underachieve.[/QUOTE]

Well, ALL the WRs projected for the first round slipped to the second round so I don't think is that bad.

MTK 04-27-2008 08:00 PM

I especially love our top 4 picks.

Obviously we got tremendous value in taking Thomas and Kelly where we got them. Davis was one of the better TEs available and it should be interesting to see him paired with Cooley on the field at the same time. We seriously upgraded our offensive weapons with these top 3 picks. The front office was committed to getting Campbell some weapons this year and they definitely delivered on that.

Chad Rinehart seems like a mauler with a lot of potential to develop into a starter sooner rather than later.

redsk1 04-27-2008 08:01 PM

Solid B+ for me. Had we used one of the WR picks on oline or dline, i may have gone w/ an A.

I really can't argue w/ the logic though. One of the 2 should produce early. I like the olineman we picked up. I like Brennan in the late rounds too.

I really like the Davis pick too for the WC offense. Not bad. Next year we've got to pick some olineman/dlineman though.

mooby 04-27-2008 08:02 PM

Well part of the reason they slipped is because nobody thought they were good enough to take in the first round. Virtually everywhere I looked, and Mike Mayock in particular, had the entire wr class as not being first round worthy. I know some people said that wide receivers might be taken toward the end of the draft, and maybe the Bills would reach for Devin Thomas at #11, but I really didn't see anyone saying that there were wide receivers worthy of being taken in the first round. With that said though we got great value for Thomas and Kelly because some thought us or another team would reach for them in the first.

4mrusmc 04-27-2008 08:07 PM

[quote=EternalEnigma21;444805]Seems like a solid B+. It could go either way, though. We needed a big possession wideout and between the two we should at least get one solid starter. I'm curious about getting a high rated tight end... I hope we have enough balls to go around. I thought we could've addressed the secondary a bit more, and I'm still not sure about the corner we picked up... or drafting a punter when we had more pressing needs and there were better values out there, but they probably know something more than I do...

I think B+[/quote]
Since the Front Office couldn't get a proven wideout that another team was willing to off-load. They decided to go out and draft two solid and TALL guys that can catch the rock.

I think our secondary will be fine this year. I'm hoping that we can sign a couple of good free-agents to help bolster our aging offensive and defensive lines.

redsk1 04-27-2008 08:08 PM

[quote=mooby;444861]Well part of the reason they slipped is because nobody thought they were good enough to take in the first round. Virtually everywhere I looked, and Mike Mayock in particular, had the entire wr class as not being first round worthy. I know some people said that wide receivers might be taken toward the end of the draft, and maybe the Bills would reach for Devin Thomas at #11, but I really didn't see anyone saying that there were wide receivers worthy of being taken in the first round. With that said though we got great value for Thomas and Kelly because some thought us or another team would reach for them in the first.[/quote]

Yeah, i agree. We did get 2 of the top receviers though. You never know. It seems like the majority of times high lever WR's are drafted in the middle rounds anyhow. It will be interesting to see.

Redskin Warrior 04-27-2008 08:10 PM

I gave the draft a B+ I like every pick but the Punter he got drafted too early in my opinion & Colt Brennan but I trust Jim Zorn he feels he can develop him into something 2 or 3 years from now I going with the coach but I can't see it. Kelly & Thomas were much needed picks plus Davis will give Campbell more targets in the red zone. I believe Davis is a big upgrade over Todd Yoder that saw a good bit of PT last year.

redwagonskins 04-27-2008 08:11 PM

People give this draft a D or an F? Wtf? I say it all grades out to a provisional B. We got two receivers who will battle to be the #2/#3 receiver on the field. We got a #2 TE for two tight end packages that can catch passes. We got a guy who will be able to fit in on the O-Line sooner than later. We got a CB who will have a chance to be a nickel or dime back this year. A punter who won't shank the ball whenever it matters. 2 safeties to battle for the #3 safety job and play special teams. A DE who was projected much higher. And a #3 QB who we can develop. Seems pretty good.
I can't imagine what anybody sees to give this draft a D or and F. Sounds like d-baggery.;)

Cooley1 04-27-2008 08:24 PM

Chalk it up to a B+ for me as well! I am one of the guys who really wanted D line help, but based on the talent they added and their very clear showing of what they were trying to accomplish I can be happy with the end result.

They seemed like they had a plan and stuck with it. I was very impressed with the trades for additional picks, and let’s face it we would have only ended up with one of the two receivers we got had we not traded with Atlanta. We have had a bit of trouble drafting that position and I think by taking two early you not only give your self a better chance to land a stud, but you put two young guys together to battle it up from day one. Hopefully, the competition brings out the best in both of them, which I feel it will.

It feels good to have a full draft, huh boys, lets keep protesting to keep all of our picks for years to come. This had to be one of the best draft weekends I have had in a long time!

chrisl13 04-27-2008 08:26 PM

I think I would give the Skins a B for this one. They did a really good job at "Sticking to the board" by drafting offensive weapons who can make Jason Campbell look better and take the focus off of Moss and ARE. It also solidifies our wide receiver core. I think that the Skins could have gone defense a little earlier but overall, Cerrato and Snyder did a pretty decent job this year.

Rajmahal33 04-27-2008 08:27 PM

I gave our draft a B (but would better characterize it as a B-). This is how i saw things shake out...

(+):
- In the spirit of optimism, I will give the players we did draft the benefit of the doubt. We will probably get 3 or 4 starters (not including punting as a starting position) out of our 10 picks
- The FO did a GREAT job IMO of moving around and getting the best # and position of picks. Hats off to Vinny for his wheeling and dealing!
- We probably didn't get really risky with our picks and I think that even if all these guys don't start, they will make an impact on the team (special teams, quality depth, etc)

(-):
- I really felt we didn't fully address our needs like we should have given the players available at a given pick. I could be wrong but it seemed like we fell into the trap of following a draft trend rather than setting it. In other words we would often take a certain player b/c there were only so many players of that position left on the board. Rather I wish we would have had a little bit better foresight
- Stockpiling receivers with ALL of our precious #2 picks seemed a little Lionesque and I disagree with it. We could have picked up a really good D-linemen or CB with one of those picks. Obviously they did their research but it seemed to me that this wasn't the best move for the team.

The bottom line is that anytime a playoff team can pick up 10 players (5 in the first 4 rounds) in the draft with adequate cap space to keep them, it has to be a pretty good draft!

Cowell 04-27-2008 08:37 PM

C.

Things I liked:

1. We got our big receiver. One of those receivers we drafted is going to be a factor, and they both have the potential to be great if they are worked in the right areas.
2. We did draft O-line for a little depth. Turns out Mr. Rinehart can play both guard and tackle well. Nothing better for depth than a utility guy. I'm sure in a few years he will be able to step in and start.

Things I didn't like:
1. Why wait so late to go for a defensive end? We could have had Quentin Groves instead of Malcolm Kelly. Even if we didn't want Quentin Groves we could have had a number of better d-ends than what we ended up with. Why the wait?
2. Instead of a punter we very easily could have gone for more depth on the o-line.
3. Why draft 2 safeties? Even though I'm pretty certain the only time on the field either of them will be seeing is special teams.