Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Teams with the Best and Worst Drafts (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23364)

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 04-27-2008 11:10 PM

Teams with the Best and Worst Drafts

Which team had the best draft? Which team had the worst draft?

I don't know about the worst draft, but KC walked away with DT Glenn Dorsey, OT/OG Branden Albert, CB Brandon Flowers, RB Jamaal Charles, and S DaJuan Morgan among others. That's a heckuva draft class.

backrow 04-27-2008 11:21 PM

Re: Teams with the Best and Worst Drafts

The NFL Network cite the (Shefter) chefs, vikes, (Mayock) raisins, (Shefter) panthers, and (Dukes)crygirls as winners. Later, Casserly gave us high marks for sticking to our plan, he did cite our failure to address the trenches, however.

Hard to say who was worst. I think the Bengals were mentioned.

bertoskins2 04-27-2008 11:22 PM

the reavens and the bengals did worst

Swarley 04-27-2008 11:33 PM

I think the Chiefs had the best I can't really say who had the worst.

SmootSmack 04-27-2008 11:41 PM

It's not the popular thing to say, but the Patriots had a bad draft in my opinion.

-I think #10 is too high for Jerod Mayo

-Terrence Wheatley was a huge reach in the 2nd round. He's struggled to stay healthy and most projected as a 5th-7th round pick

-Kevin O'Connoll also has trouble staying healthy and Colt Brennan probably has just as much upside. Yet we got our QB three rounds later. O'Connoll was also projectd as a 5th-7th round pick.

-They needed help on the OL and didn't get any at all there

mooby 04-27-2008 11:41 PM

Yeah pretty much Chiefs had the best, I don't really see one team that had a head and shoulders below everyone else bad draft class though.

MTK 04-27-2008 11:43 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;445026]It's not the popular thing to say, but the Patriots had a bad draft in my opinion.

-I think #10 is too high for Jerod Mayo

-Terrence Wheatley was a huge reach in the 2nd round. He's struggled to stay healthy and most projected as a 5th-7th round pick

-Kevin O'Connoll also has trouble staying healthy and Colt Brennan probably has just as much upside. Yet we got our QB three rounds later. O'Connoll was also projectd as a 5th-7th round pick.

-They needed help on the OL and didn't get any at all there[/quote]

I agree, Mayo probably would have lasted into the 20's

mooby 04-27-2008 11:45 PM

I hear we were interested at Jerod Mayo at #21 as well, several t.v. announcers were saying that during yesterday.

FRPLG 04-27-2008 11:49 PM

Meyo was a mid 25 pick pretty obviously. No one else jumped at LBs until later. Strange because the Pats usually are good value dafters and that works well because they don't normally have holes to fill. I know they needed to get younger on D but Meyo was just an obvious reach. I think unfortunately for them though this draft was short on high end help in the back 7 where they are damn old.

GTripp0012 04-27-2008 11:52 PM

Miami, Kansas City, New Orleans, St. Louis, and Green Bay did phenomenal.

Dallas did not-so-hot, Denver's draft was rough, Atlanta's was pretty unimpressive also. I definately have to throw Tennessee in here also.

New England actually had a rough weekend as well.

GMScud 04-27-2008 11:54 PM

Well, St. Louis got Chris Long, so you can't say they had a bad draft. But taking Donnie Avery with the 33rd pick as the first WR over Sweed, Thomas, or Kelly was a huge reach and an awful pick. But it sure did help us!

The Jets also had a questionable move IMO when the traded their 2nd and 4th rounder to move up 7 spots to take Dustin Keller. Bad move. If they stayed put with the 36th pick Keller still would have been there. They already traded their 3rd and 5th rounders during free agency, so this move left them with no picks in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th rounds.

That Guy 04-27-2008 11:56 PM

philly was solid... miami probably did the best (got three safe picks at the 3 hardest positions to fill - #1 DE, #1 QB, #1 LT, though henne might only be a good starter and not a great one), and the jaguars got two great pass rushers.

i think carolina and the vikes would be towards the bottom of the list. carolina's draft was pretty ugly. cinncy also drafted 3 wrs while CJ and who'syourmama are still on the team, though that is a bit of a situation. didn't really like houston or oakland that much either. mcfadden is good, but he has the reggie-i-can't-break-tackles-bush syndrome.

That Guy 04-27-2008 11:57 PM

[quote=GMScud;445036]Well, St. Louis got Chris Long, so you can't say they had a bad draft. But taking Donnie Avery with the 33rd pick as the first WR over Sweed, Thomas, or Kelly was a huge reach and an awful pick. But it sure did help us!

The Jets also had a questionable move IMO when the traded their 2nd and 4th rounder to move up 7 spots to take Dustin Keller. Bad move. If they stayed put with the 36th pick Keller still would have been there. They already traded their 3rd and 5th rounders during free agency, so this move left them with no picks in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th rounds.[/quote]

or they could have taken brian brohm, since, you know, QB's an actual need of theirs.

i think the raven's blew it with flacco too.

MTK 04-27-2008 11:57 PM

I thought Carolina got some quality players but at too high of a cost.

SmootSmack 04-27-2008 11:59 PM

I think Jacksonville gave up way too much for Harvey

And the Panthers had probably the worst trade of the weekend trading a 2nd, 4th, and 1st in 2009 just to move up to get Otah

SmootSmack 04-28-2008 12:03 AM

[QUOTE=That Guy;445037]philly was solid... miami probably did the best (got three safe picks at the 3 hardest positions to fill - #1 DE, #1 QB, #1 LT, though henne might only be a good starter and not a great one), and the jaguars got two great pass rushers.

i think carolina and the vikes would be towards the bottom of the list. carolina's draft was pretty ugly. cinncy also drafted 3 wrs while CJ and who'syourmama are still on the team, though that is a bit of a situation. didn't really like houston or oakland that much either. mcfadden is good, but he has the reggie-i-can't-break-tackles-bush syndrome.[/QUOTE]

CJ totally called it a couple of months ago when he said, and I'm slightyly paraphrasing "We need help on defense. But we'll probably take wide receivers."

Cowboys were set on Felix Jones for weeks, clearly not expecting Rashard Mendenhall to be there. But when he was they should have taken him. Mistake taking Jones over Mendenhall.

SouperMeister 04-28-2008 12:06 AM

[quote=FRPLG;445032]Meyo was a mid 25 pick pretty obviously. No one else jumped at LBs until later. Strange because the Pats usually are good value dafters and that works well because they don't normally have holes to fill. I know they needed to get younger on D but Meyo was just an obvious reach. I think unfortunately for them though this draft was short on high end help in the back 7 where they are damn old.[/quote]I wouldn't be surprised if Belicheat was hoping to get either Derrick Harvey or Keith Rivers when they traded down from 7 to 10. Harvey and Rivers went 8 and 9, and Mayo was certainly a reach after that at 10.

Without question, KC had the best draft. We were among the top 5-10 IMO, but let's see how many of the day 2 guys stick before giving a final grade.

SmootSmack 04-28-2008 12:18 AM

[QUOTE=That Guy;445037]philly was solid... miami probably did the best (got three safe picks at the 3 hardest positions to fill - #1 DE, #1 QB, #1 LT, though henne might only be a good starter and not a great one), and the jaguars got two great pass rushers.

i think carolina and the vikes would be towards the bottom of the list. carolina's draft was pretty ugly. cinncy also drafted 3 wrs while CJ and who'syourmama are still on the team, though that is a bit of a situation. didn't really like houston or oakland that much either. mcfadden is good, but he has the reggie-i-can't-break-tackles-bush syndrome.[/QUOTE]

Oh, and Cincy once again went for the low-risk, quality guys

[url=http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20080427/SPT02/304280006/]The Enquirer - Round 5: DT Shirley a 'risk'[/url]

SouperMeister 04-28-2008 12:22 AM

Giving it some thought, Tennessee probably had the worst draft. How do they not grab a top WR to help a struggling passing attack and Vince Young?

GMScud 04-28-2008 12:30 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;445049]Oh, and Cincy once again went for the low-risk, quality guys

[URL="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20080427/SPT02/304280006/"]The Enquirer - Round 5: DT Shirley a 'risk'[/URL][/quote]

Unbelievable. Boy is Cincy dumb. I know they wanted a WR, but Jerome Simpson? He's got potential but it's a bad pick given how badly they need help on D, not to mention Sweed, Kelly, and Deshean Jackson were all still available.

Tennessee passing on all the available wideouts to reach for the East Carolina running back (Chris Johnson) was bad. They have one of the weakest receiving corps in the league. When you draft a QB as high as they did Vince Young, you should at least give the guy a chance with some weapons. Not to mention they used their last two second round picks the past two drafts on RBs Lendale White and Chris Henry. So I don't get this move at all.

GTripp0012 04-28-2008 12:57 AM

Tennessee is alright at receiver, although they value Justin Gage way too much. They need more depth there, but if Brandon Jones can stay healthy, he can be the no. 2. Roydell Williams is quietly developing into a top NFL receiver, he's already a nice vertical threat.

It's only "quietly", because VY is a big fan of the bounce pass.

Still a poor draft though...Chris Johnson probably wasn't a day one guy. Jason Jones is a risk coming from EMU. Craig Stevens is a good player, but Tennessee signed 2 TEs this offseason, and it wasn't even a need going in. Horrible draft.

ecupirate08 04-28-2008 03:29 AM

Tennessee drafting Chris Johnson could prove to be a good gamble. After watching him for 4 years most of his big plays were from the slot. His first 2 years of college he was a slot player only. And even when he was the full time RB he had to catch alot out of the backfield because of the spread offense we run. I see them using him like NO uses bush... imagine all the problems they could create for defenses.... but of course I'm very biased here

SeanTaylor21 04-28-2008 07:33 AM

[QUOTE=ecupirate08;445070]Tennessee drafting Chris Johnson could prove to be a good gamble. After watching him for 4 years most of his big plays were from the slot. His first 2 years of college he was a slot player only. And even when he was the full time RB he had to catch alot out of the backfield because of the spread offense we run. I see them using him like NO uses bush... imagine all the problems they could create for defenses.... but of course I'm very biased here[/QUOTE]

Maybe Vince Young might start throwing the ball.

JoeRedskin 04-28-2008 08:39 AM

Best, at this point, would have to be KC - I think that's pretty undisputed (they may get 3 or 4 [I]starters[/I] out of this draft class. That's pretty amazing).

I'll go with Miami as number two - they seemed to address some needs and didn't really reach for anybody big or mortgage the ranch to get anyone. Long solid first pick with Mehrling and Henne solid picks at real good value.

Not sure who else to put up here.

As for losers: Cinci: You don't need WR's, you need DEFENSE; Carolina: Otah will probably be good but not next year's first round good (didn't Carolina give up almost the same for a guy most likely suited to be RT that we gave up for a, hopefully, franchise QB? As I recall, we got some real bad reviews for our move).

As for the Skins, I think they had a good draft - but it's the kind of draft that will take some time to evaluate (unless Thomas or Kelly comes in and tears it up which I do not expect). It's the kind of draft that, if done consistently, can build a long term winner. Take a lot of shots in the lottery in hopes of picking one of the few winning tickets. Also liked that they consistently stuck to their board (Boswell can crucify them, but other than WR this was a team with need for depth not starters). Don't think they reached for anyone and managed to pick up move up, down and around without mortgaging the future.

BTW - I hate that term, "value pick". I recognize it as a necessary term in evaluating picks whether a FO made good use of getting a highly rated player lower than expected. With that said, if anyone had picked Tom Brady in the 2nd or 3rd round they would've been condemned for not getting "value" out of the pick. Same with, Marques Colston. The question of whether you got value for the pick, however, will be three years down the road and more tied to you scouting than to your drafting.

Just to be clear and, hopefully to avoid unneccessary criticism of this rant - I recognize the purpose of the term and agree it has some value (no pun intended) in evaluating the competence of a FO. I just suggest it has minimal or no value in evaluating a team's scouting abilities and, in fact, may be both dismissive of and conter-productive to that ability.

XXVI 04-28-2008 10:12 AM

I love the fact we got the #1 and #2 WR's in the draft. However, I do not like that we didn't get a stud DE. The OL we got I think is going to be a starter. The CB will be cut before training camp is over. I am REALLY impressed for us going after Colt Brennan. A+ on that. He is a good QB, and with Zorn, he's going to be around after Campbell. I wouldn't be surprised if maybe he gives Campbell a run for his money after a couple of seasons learning under Zorny. We might can trade one of our stud WR's for a good DB or something, I dunno. Only time will tell.

GTripp0012 04-28-2008 10:13 AM

In Cincinnati's defense, they did spend the last two first rounders on Corners, a position that takes time to develop.

Perhaps they feel that Pat Sims and Keith Rivers are the final two pieces to their pass D puzzle?

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 04-28-2008 10:25 AM

[QUOTE=SeanTaylor21;445078]Maybe Vince Young might start throwing the ball.[/QUOTE]

Because TEN picked up so many wideouts? His only true receiving threat is a tight end.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 04-28-2008 10:28 AM

[QUOTE=GTripp0012;445062]Tennessee is alright at receiver, although they value Justin Gage way too much. They need more depth there, but if Brandon Jones can stay healthy, he can be the no. 2. Roydell Williams is quietly developing into a top NFL receiver, he's already a nice vertical threat.[/QUOTE]

I don't know. Justin Gage was cut just 2 years back (and not due to age, health, or cap concerns) and suddenly he's a #1? I think they have given VY about 1 threat that may scare defenses and he's a tight end.

GTripp0012 04-28-2008 10:43 AM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;445149]I don't know. Justin Gage was cut just 2 years back (and not due to age, health, or cap concerns) and suddenly he's a #1? I think they have given VY about 1 threat that may scare defenses and he's a tight end.[/quote]I do think Gage needs to be benched/cut, but that's a coaching thing. The Titans have plenty of decent receivers, and one pretty darn good receiver (Roydell Williams). That's more than a lot of teams can say. Philadelphia, for one. And of course, having Alge Crumpler as the No. 2 makes everyone's job easier.

Vince should improve this year, but his receivers are no excuse if he does not.

skinsfan69 04-28-2008 11:16 AM

Some teams just have no clue. What was Balt. thinking taking Flacco that high? Big arm but no mobility. That was a bad pick. Carolina also screwed up by taking another rb in Stewart when they need a QB. And giving up all those picks to take the left tackle. Just makes no sense to me.

I think Miami has had the best off-season of anybody. I love what Parcells is doing down there. They build along the lines first and IMO that's the best way to go. Also Chad Henne is way underrated and IMO will be a better pro than Flacco.

GTripp0012 04-28-2008 11:26 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;445171]Some teams just have no clue. What was Balt. thinking taking Flacco that high? Big arm but no mobility. That was a bad pick. Carolina also screwed up by taking another rb in Stewart when they need a QB. And giving up all those picks to take the left tackle. Just makes no sense to me.

I think Miami has had the best off-season of anybody. I love what Parcells is doing down there. They build along the lines first and IMO that's the best way to go. Also Chad Henne is way underrated and IMO will be a better pro than Flacco.[/quote]I agree on both accounts. Miami had the best draft.

I love Flacco, but he isn't really starting material, much less a franchise QB. Henne has the makings of a franchise Quarterback.

Carolina was disheveled the entire first day.

Redskin Warrior 04-28-2008 02:33 PM

KC of course that the best draft but I think the Titans had a horrible draft didn't they just pick up Chris Henry last year first round now they have Chris Johnson to go along with Lendale White not to knock Chris Johnson but VY needed weapons outside of RB he doesn't have weapons like he should.

riggins44 04-28-2008 02:39 PM

Heard more than one analyst say that Young will probably call and congratulate Jason Campbell, because we drafted WR's a need for
Tenn.

Surprised no one is saying Lions had a bad draft. Is it that we've
come to expect this from them?

SeanTaylor21 04-28-2008 06:32 PM

[QUOTE=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;445147]Because TEN picked up so many wideouts? His only true receiving threat is a tight end.[/QUOTE]

I was saying that because of how good a reciever Chris Johnson is.

Dirtbag59 04-29-2008 04:37 PM

I know it's a little early but next year I predict the Skins will take a RB, DL, OT, CB, S and K in next years draft. However I think the interior of our O-Line is now set for years to come with the addition of Rhinehart and Brown (App State). All we need now is a Center to replace Rabach. Heyer might end up replacing Jansen so all we'll need is a LT to help out if Samuals goes down.

Dirtbag59 04-29-2008 04:39 PM

[quote=riggins44;445321]Heard more than one analyst say that Young will probably call and congratulate Jason Campbell, because we drafted WR's a need for
Tenn.

Surprised no one is saying Lions had a bad draft. Is it that we've
come to expect this from them?[/quote]

I couldn't figure out why the Lions chooser Gosder over Otah. They're virtually the same player, except Otah is a little better, plus he can play LT. Of course we might have to thank the Lions for taking Gosder to create the chain effect that led to us picking up two second round picks from the Falcons.

SeanTaylor21 04-29-2008 06:58 PM

[QUOTE=Dirtbag359;445815]I know it's a little early but next year I predict the Skins will take a RB, DL, OT, CB, S and K in next years draft. However I think the interior of our O-Line is now set for years to come with the addition of Rhinehart and Brown (App State). All we need now is a Center to replace Rabach. Heyer might end up replacing Jansen so all we'll need is a LT to help out if Samuals goes down.[/QUOTE]

How about Lorenzo Alexander at guard, and Rhinehart at tackle.