Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Food Prices (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23392)

saden1 04-29-2008 07:52 AM

Food Prices

I just recently started notice food prices at the grocery stores. Bread is $4.59. Only a year ago it use to be $3.50. My cereal box's content is getting slimmer these days too while its price jumped about a dollar. WTF is going on?

FRPLG 04-29-2008 07:56 AM

Re: Food Prices

Pretty simple. Gas.

saden1 04-29-2008 07:58 AM

It can't be just gas can it?

MTK 04-29-2008 08:34 AM

If you have a super wal-mart near by I suggest shopping there. I can't stand shopping there but you save so much money. Gas prices are soaring and in turn so are food prices.

By the way does anyone else love driving by the gas station and seeing a new price every freaking day?

Daseal 04-29-2008 08:55 AM

It is gas. Everything in your grocery store comes via truck, be it a vendor or a super market truck. Now, I'm not totally sure if a jump that big is because of gas, that seems hardcore.

Personally, I'll never shop at Super Wal-Mart, Harris Teeter, or BJs Wholesale because of the way they treat vendors. But that's a bit closer to my heart than most. When you have to stand outside in the rain while the bread is getting drenched in rain because they'll only let one person in at a time, then complain that the bread is wet, I get pissed. Wonder why their bread randomly goes moldy far before the expiration date!

firstdown 04-29-2008 09:02 AM

[quote=Daseal;445684]It is gas. Everything in your grocery store comes via truck, be it a vendor or a super market truck. Now, I'm not totally sure if a jump that big is because of gas, that seems hardcore.

Personally, I'll never shop at Super Wal-Mart, Harris Teeter, or BJs Wholesale because of the way they treat vendors. But that's a bit closer to my heart than most. When you have to stand outside in the rain while the bread is getting drenched in rain because they'll only let one person in at a time, then complain that the bread is wet, I get pissed. Wonder why their bread randomly goes moldy far before the expiration date![/quote]
Its not just gas prices but now that the goverment maindates that we use gas with E10 there is more demand for corn or whatever they use.

Hog1 04-29-2008 09:04 AM

Family of 4, average $900 p/mo................Sam's/Costco

djnemo65 04-29-2008 09:39 AM

It is actually a complicated confluence of things. We are unfortunately in the beginning stages of the first global food crisis in a long time right now. Here is an article from the Post that does a good job summing up the multiple economic forces at play here. [url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/04/26/ST2008042602333.html]The New Economics of Hunger - washingtonpost.com[/url]

TheMalcolmConnection 04-29-2008 10:00 AM

Matty, that drives me in-f-ing-sane... It's not just a penny or two, or some kind of fluctuation, it's like 4-5 cents up a day...

MTK 04-29-2008 10:10 AM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;445709]Matty, that drives me in-f-ing-sane... It's not just a penny or two, or some kind of fluctuation, it's like 4-5 cents up a day...[/quote]

I know, I went by a gas station last week on Thursday and I think the price was $3.60 and I was at about a 1/4 tank, so I was like I'll fill up on my way home after work. Well, after work it was up to $3.69!

This morning it was $3.73. :doh:

MTK 04-29-2008 10:14 AM

[quote=Daseal;445684]It is gas. Everything in your grocery store comes via truck, be it a vendor or a super market truck. Now, I'm not totally sure if a jump that big is because of gas, that seems hardcore.

Personally, I'll never shop at Super Wal-Mart, Harris Teeter, or BJs Wholesale because of the way they treat vendors. But that's a bit closer to my heart than most. When you have to stand outside in the rain while the bread is getting drenched in rain because they'll only let one person in at a time, then complain that the bread is wet, I get pissed. Wonder why their bread randomly goes moldy far before the expiration date![/quote]

Believe me I despise even being seen near a wal-mart, but our weekly grocery bill typically runs around $125 or so and last week we finally gave in and went to wal-mart and barely broke $100.

Now that it's costing me over $50 to fill up my tank every week something's gotta give. Wal-Mart it is for groceries. :doh:

Schneed10 04-29-2008 10:45 AM

It's a number of things with food prices, these are the main ones:

- As mentioned, gas. Shipping costs, and energy expenses required to process foods, are up.

- The fuel industry is buying up more corn for ethanol. So corn prices especially have gone up. Corn is also used to feed livestock, so that higher cost gets passed on to the prices of just about every kind of meat, poultry, and dairy you can think of.

- Global demand. The economic development in China and India has led to growth in the number of citizens wealthy enough to eat meats, which further increases the demand for corn/feed.

BleedBurgundy 04-29-2008 10:57 AM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection;445709]Matty, that drives me in-f-ing-sane... It's not just a penny or two, or some kind of fluctuation, it's like 4-5 cents up a day...[/QUOTE]

It's like some kind of absurd slot machine. Numbers keep on spinnin'...

BleedBurgundy 04-29-2008 10:59 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;445714]Believe me I despise even being seen near a wal-mart, but our weekly grocery bill typically runs around $125 or so and last week we finally gave in and went to wal-mart and barely broke $100.

[B]Now that it's costing me over $50 to fill up my tank every week something's gotta give.[/B] Wal-Mart it is for groceries. :doh:[/QUOTE]

$50 sounds wonderful. I can't fill up if I'm lower than a 1/4 tank because I'll hit that damn $75 limit every time. I'm grateful to work about 10-15 minutes from home.

Monkeydad 04-29-2008 11:00 AM

What kind of bread are you buying?

I can get a loaf of regular white bread for $0.89 but I usually spring for the Italian for $1.59.

Just bought some last night too.

However, some foods I do notice an increase and I KNOW it's a combination of gas prices (because treehuggers aren't letting us use our own oil + taxes) and now demand for foods, expecially corn and grains, are up because a lot of the supply is being used to try to develop ethanol that is much less efficient than gasoline. It's not something we should pursue because it's less economical than gas and also disrupts the world food supply unnecessarily. It's causing some huge shortages in some Asian nations right now.

Until the hammer is put down on politicians who cater to the leftist "green" organizations who would rather starve the world than harm a tree and until gas taxes are controlled, we'll continue to see expensive fuel. We need to use our own reserves that could last generations while we research a TRUE alternative solution, not a bandaid like ethanol or electric cars. We need to build more refineries so we can cut down on imported oil and also more nuclear plants need built.